As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Went to the pharmacy during lunch break. A Lapras showed up at a Pokestop at a rails to trails sign. Hiked over there and caught the Lapras and 2 Seels. The Lapras is 1247 CP and is "decent / get the job done", but at least it is on the dex!

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Went to the pharmacy during lunch break. A Lapras showed up at a Pokestop at a rails to trails sign. Hiked over there and caught the Lapras and 2 Seels. The Lapras is 1247 CP and is "decent / get the job done", but at least it is on the dex!

Welcome to the Lapras club!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I saw some sort of pufferfish thing on my radar last night, but it was like 10:30pm and it was across the street and I didn't want to walk out in the dark to get it. So I missed that one for now.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I saw some sort of pufferfish thing on my radar last night, but it was like 10:30pm and it was across the street and I didn't want to walk out in the dark to get it. So I missed that one for now.

Probably a qwilfish. I have only seen and caught one. They look cool, but don't evolve into anything.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I was on a site visit in Napa for work today. I caught no fewer than NINE new (to me) pokemon! Furret, Mantine, Weezing, Remoraid, Totodile, Misdreavus, Seel, Qwilfish, and Octillery! That brings my total 'dex count up to 157. Exciting day!!

Of course, then my battery died right as I made room on a kinda hard-to-access Gym that likely would have held for a few weeks. Someone got a free slot due to my efforts. :(

26904.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Golduck is mine

I'm also about out of water pokes to catch

This is my only chance to get a blastoise though =(

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is Golduck any good for Gyms?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I've used him a couple times when I was out of vaporeons and healing items, but...not really. Slowbro has a similar niche, and while he was nerfed, is still way better

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    This water event has been great, I caught a Venusaur today!

Wait, what?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

I've used him a couple times when I was out of vaporeons and healing items, but...not really. Slowbro has a similar niche, and while he was nerfed, is still way better

Agree and I'm pretty sure golduck was also nerfed with the rebalance patch.

My last three 10km eggs had two manta rays which is a shame because I also caught some through the event now. But the other was that electric sheep, so that's cool.

Even if these events don't give me rare Pokémon I still need (looking at you, lapras), I just like that they break up the monotony of catching the same 4 Pokémon over and over day after day.

• Options
    Caught a Squirtle in my house last night and FINALLY got my Blastoise... And he has Hydro Pump. Unfortunately he's only 1200 CP so I'll need a billion more to get him useful.

• Options
    I still haven't seen a Squirtle. I'm getting very frustrated. I'm saving Pinap berries (I'm on my last 5) and all I need is 3 Squirtles with berries and I'm done. And I'm pretty sure I've seen every water type in the game now except Squirtle in this event.

Well, not Lapras, but I already have one of those so meh.

• Options
    Godspeed when you do find one. Those little bastards ALWAYS fight me. I had to use 5 berries on the last one I caught and he was only like 210CP.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm in a fairly prolific area and I think I've seen Squirtle on the radar maybe twice? Totodile is a lot more common.

Not sure this will help you polish off your Blastoise, sorry.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Y'all can have mine. I think I have two blastoises. :bigfrown: I'll need some cyndaquils in return.

Also the starters kind of suck, so they're not really worth leveling.

• Options
    I've never even seen a Cyndaquil. But fire types basically never spawn in KC except for rare nests sometimes.

• Options
    A Squirtle!

8 Ultra Balls later, I got 3 candy towards my blastoise!

Out of Pinap Berries.

• Options
    I'm telling you. I hate those guys so much.

• Options
    Well since I blew my stack of berries and only got the minimum candy, that leaves me with needing 3 more frickin Squirtles.

• Options
    I GOT A LAPRAS!

1010 CP

This event is great

would like some squirtles though

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well since I blew my stack of berries and only got the minimum candy, that leaves me with needing 3 more frickin Squirtles.

Have faith. Your time will come.

• Options
    ... I may have just found a Squirtle at my desk.

• Options
    Oh snap, the Magicarp hat unveiled during this event is free! Why yes, I will have that derpy critter gnawing on my head.

• Options
    I caught a Jumpluff at lunch. I was only 20 candy away from evolving one anyway, but still cool. I have plenty of Totodile candies. Almost enough to evolve him twice. The problem is the best one I have found is 501 CP and "decent". All of the other ones have been ~250CP and "not great in battle".

I haven't seen anything shiny yet.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh that's a dick move...

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Did Eggs always show the date and location they were picked up?

Mine are showing correct location but are all showing they were acquired May 15, 2016 ...which is incorrect.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Nope, I'm guessing they set that date as the default date.

edit: The game wasn't even fully released at that point.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Ah, so probably eggs picked up going forward will have the correct date. The game probably always tracked the location so that a North American egg didn't hatch a Mr. Mime sorta thing.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I'd be upset if a normal Magikarp became a Ditto. I use Pinap berries on those suckers because I need more Gyarados in my life.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Did they buff pinap berries in a recent patch? I'm sure it gave you a total of 5 candies for the capture at first, now it's 6. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Did they buff pinap berries in a recent patch? I'm sure it gave you a total of 5 candies for the capture at first, now it's 6. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It always gave you double the normal candies but the displayed text was wrong.

Lail wrote: »
    Ah, so probably eggs picked up going forward will have the correct date. The game probably always tracked the location so that a North American egg didn't hatch a Mr. Mime sorta thing.

Egg contents are fixed when you get the egg, so they wouldn't need to track the location for that (also regionals could only be hatched for a short period at launch)

Grobian on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Just caught a shiny magikarp! They must have increased the odds of seeing one with the event.
    tpxxp0hds12r.jpg

LostNinja on
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Dunno about water pokemon, but just went out walking near the beachfront and caught 2 larvitars and 2 pikachus. Few more magikarp than normal but otherwise seemed fairly standard.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Boo to all of you who have nabbed a Lapras.

I'm over here excited I might get to evolve my omanyte and seel.

• Options
    Two more Magikarp and I'll get another Gyrados.

• Options
    Got my second Gyrados and it's a good one! Bite/Hydro pump. Not very good IV (I think it was like 67-80 or something like that) but a good skillset. My other one is Bite/Dragon Breath which isn't very helpful on a majority of the gym Pokemon.

• Options
    I'm still 110 away from gyrados #1

• Options
    I spun my 7th day pokestop and received a sun stone. I evolved a Sunflora, which looks like something from Plants Vs Zombies.

I recently evolved a Crobat. I would have had one sooner, but I pissed away my candies evolving Golbats for XP prior to the Gen 2 release. Are there any candies I should be hording for future generations?

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    I spun my 7th day pokestop and received a sun stone. I evolved a Sunflora, which looks like something from Plants Vs Zombies.

I recently evolved a Crobat. I would have had one sooner, but I pissed away my candies evolving Golbats for XP prior to the Gen 2 release. Are there any candies I should be hording for future generations?

According to this the short answer is Magnemite, Lickitung, Ryhorn, Tangela, Electabuzz, Magmar, Porygon, Togepi, Aipom, Yanma, Murkrow, Misdreavus, Gilgar, Sneasel and Swinub, but since all of those hit in Generation 4 (we're in Generation 2) you've got time.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_with_cross-generational_evolutions

There's a bunch of new babies to hit too but I wouldn't worry about those.

Interestingly enough after that dogpile the only gen to introduce a new evolution is 6 with a single new Eevee.

cloudeagle on