Options

[Women's March on Washington] 100% peaceful march, millions participated, history made

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Tomorrow needs to look like exactly what it is; a bunch of moms, daughters and grandmas showing up to oppose a new president that is already deeply unpopular.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Go join a young Republicans group and make a nuisance of yourself. Be a massive protocol snob, demand that meetings don't start one second late, or finish one second early. Make every discussion about whether or not it is the right time and group of people to have that discussion. Create a massive structure of permission, bureaucracy and paperwork. Make the organization confusing and exclusionary to new members. Vote against anything that seems like it might be a good idea, and demand ideological purity in all things.
    Dude the Young Republicans aren't Rumpelstiltskin, defeated by the right incantation. If you join and you're all THE MEETING IS ONE SECOND LATE CAN'T START IT you'll get thrown out like the obnoxious weirdo you are.

If you want to disrupt the YRs, join one and support Trumpist anti-globalism. The vast majority of the clubs are National Review-style ideological purists and rubbing their noses in the fact that - your- candidate won while their umpteen Establishment-approved candidates lost is sure to start some arguments.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Poster pretty much ready

I copied someone else's drawing of her and of course messed up the proportions, but hopefully you can tell who it is

Yx9ioiD.jpg

Sig. I love this. Amazing <3

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I will probably go to the Austin march at the Capitol building tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my brother to come with me--either he takes some action or he can stop sharing snarky anti-Trump tweets at me.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Go join a young Republicans group and make a nuisance of yourself. Be a massive protocol snob, demand that meetings don't start one second late, or finish one second early. Make every discussion about whether or not it is the right time and group of people to have that discussion. Create a massive structure of permission, bureaucracy and paperwork. Make the organization confusing and exclusionary to new members. Vote against anything that seems like it might be a good idea, and demand ideological purity in all things.
    Dude the Young Republicans aren't Rumpelstiltskin, defeated by the right incantation. If you join and you're all THE MEETING IS ONE SECOND LATE CAN'T START IT you'll get thrown out like the obnoxious weirdo you are.

If you want to disrupt the YRs, join one and support Trumpist anti-globalism. The vast majority of the clubs are National Review-style ideological purists and rubbing their noses in the fact that - your- candidate won while their umpteen Establishment-approved candidates lost is sure to start some arguments.

Actually, "Stickler for the rules and procedures", is the most effective way to disrupt an organization according to both CIA, FBI, MI5/6 and FSA guides (and those of their predecessors) without anyone realizing you are trying to do it, and still making everyone else think you are a team player. You do stuff like this.

"We shouldn't start this meeting without Steve, he's the real lead on this issue"
    "I'm worried that by talking about this, we're going to upset Jenny. We should make sure she agrees with us expanding the discussion before using her work"
    "Hey John, we don't have a quorum here for a decision on how we allocate the club budget. We have rules for a reason, and we must follow them"
    "I know a decision on this is imminent, but we haven't heard from Calvin yet. Calvin, needs his chance to speak. Lets put off this decision and schedule another review"
    "I'd like to start this second meeting with a full review of everything we said in the first meeting so that everyone who didn't come to that is up to speed"
    "Should we be talking about this issue? Are we sure its really the best use of our time?"
    "I know a great place to get signs! They'll do an awesome job" (Proceed to buy the most overpriced signs you can find)
    "Hey John, I know that you brought these donuts for everyone to share, but we're a 403b tax exempt organization. You need to file a P16t4 donation form to give us these, or we have to declare them on the blah blah..."

It's a standard way to disrupt an operation without exposing yourself to risk. While you are right, trying to take it over as a Trumpist would also cause disruption and delay in a perfectly legal and safe way, its a lot harder for someone who isn't a Trumpist to do. Pretending to be a moderate who is ashamed of their Republican leanings is a lot easier a sell than pretending to be a boisterous Trump supporter. And it doesn't require you to do or say anything horribly obnoxious.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Tomorrow needs to look like exactly what it is; a bunch of moms, daughters and grandmas showing up to oppose a new president that is already deeply unpopular.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I'm going with my mom

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    One of my favorite recent protest sign photos (I may have seen it around here, actually) was the 60 or so year old woman holding a sign that said "I can't believe I still have to protest against this shit".

"THIS SHOULD ALL BE FUCKING OBVIOUS BY NOW"

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    My wife and I will be going to the Pensacola FL rally. Raining all day, so we're laminating our signs.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Just got off the phone with my mom. She is going to try and go to the Denver protest. If my facebook is right almost every woman I know in Denver is going. Same for DC for that matter.

Also DC folks be prepared for it being not freezing as well. Right now it is going to be mid to high 50's it seems.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    It would be vaguely amusing if the men in the crowd held up the old signs for the oppressed groups who have been ushered to the front of the line in front of women for full social inclusion. Because back when women got started with this, they campaigned alongside a lot of groups who have subsequently been fully included into society.

"Equal pay for Catholics and the Irish!"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I'm coming up blank for sign ideas. Writing copy is normally my forté, but there's just so much I want to say.

I liked "Not usually a sign guy but geez"

A friend is using this one.

zfzogib97c8g.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I have a double side sign

FEMINISM : Back by popular demand.

and the less serious side

I'm Commander Shepherd and equal rights for all genders is my favorite cause on the Citadel.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Considering going to a march near me tomorrow. Not totally sure that I will.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    The bus I am on is full of women heading from NYC to DC for the March

And I've been seeing all the social media about planes full of women heading to DC and just

My heart is swollen

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    One of my favorite recent protest sign photos (I may have seen it around here, actually) was the 60 or so year old woman holding a sign that said "I can't believe I still have to protest against this shit".

That almost hits too close to home.

Just ... ugh. Sigh.

shryke on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

That almost hits too close to home.

Just ... ugh. Sigh.

There was a 60-something black woman at my old work who had a fairly resigned attitude towards all of this, despite being a pretty involved woman, she figured she lived through Reagan she can get through this.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm coming up blank for sign ideas. Writing copy is normally my forté, but there's just so much I want to say.

zfzogib97c8g.jpg

Dunno if headed to the DC march, but no wooden sign posts permitted.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

zfzogib97c8g.jpg

Dunno if headed to the DC march, but no wooden sign posts permitted.

Too many vampires?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Guessing at some point too many people were getting smacked.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    fiance is currently on a train to dc. I am still on the mend and cant walk more than a block at a time so I am cheering from home.

• Options
    fiance is currently on a train to dc. I am still on the mend and cant walk more than a block at a time so I am cheering from home.

WHO AM I SEDUCING

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Note, if you are the contact person for a protester, might want to look up the bail rules for the county of the protest

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Going to the DC march tomorrow with assume family and friends. Really hope it doesn't turn into a shitshow.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I really wanted to host folks for the DC march but then I had to go home for visa stuff. And then my flights got me stuck with an overnight layover, so no Ottawa march either. Siiiiiiigh.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    The bus I am on is full of women heading from NYC to DC for the March

And I've been seeing all the social media about planes full of women heading to DC and just

My heart is swollen

here's a good collection of them

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/plane-full-of-nasty-women?utm_term=.kuDL53R2Q

example

• Options
    edited January 2017
    updated attending list. just for funs. go forumers!

PDX
    So It Goes

Madison, WI
    Veevee

Denver
    Deadfall
    Mazzyx's mom

Los Angeles
    Nija

London
    Spaffy

San Diego ?
    kedinik

Toronto ?
    Forar

Dublin, Ireland
    Desktop Hippie

Atlanta
    QuantumTurk
    Elki

Rochester NY
    OptimusZed

Lansing, MI
    mRahmani

Frederick, MD
    SyphonBlue

Seattle
    Aistan

Austin TX
    Astaereth

Pensacola FL
    A Dabble of Thelonius

So It Goes on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll be in San Diego

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I will be in the air over the Pacific or otherwise I'd be at the Seattle march.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    I don't know if I actually want a funny sign. I feel like my thoughts about the world right now are beyond sass.

• Options
    I'm on my way to the London March now. I'm heading in from my parent's place which is both middle class and middle of nowhere, and the train is standing room only and filled with protest signs. Awesome. I imagine the turnout will be large.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    On my way to the Dublin march.

What I do NOT have:
    - A witty sign
    - Reproductive rights

What I DO have:
    - Two feet
    - A voice

Here we go!

• Options
    Train has way more people than normal this early in the day. Not packed but almost every car is standing room only. Lots of pink hats.

• Options
    I am sorry to say that I have seen precisely zero Washington Posts.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Godspeed, all of you. I wish I could have gone to DC but instead I get to work.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    200+ arrests yesterday in DC. Stay clear of the people in the black masks, please. I'd like it if all of you came back to tell us about it sometime soon.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    Godspeed, all of you. I wish I could have gone to DC but instead I get to work.

Same for my wife. Mostly cause all of her staff want to go. Kissed her in bed before leaving this morning.

"Don't get shot at."

"I promise not to get shot at."

"Okay go fight for me."

*kiss*

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I want to attend but I don't have a buddy, I'm active duty and afraid of reprisals. I'm studying the rules in the OP very carefully.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I want to attend but I don't have a buddy, I'm active duty and afraid of reprisals. I'm studying the rules in the OP very carefully.

Consider wearing a (non-threatening) face covering? I was in a hat + face mask all day yesterday.

Not super worried about today, though - it's a non-partisan event.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    adytum wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Consider wearing a (non-threatening) face covering? I was in a hat + face mask all day yesterday.

Not super worried about today, though - it's a non-partisan event.

Alternatively wear a bandanna with a bitchin' vampire skull on it so that in the event riots break out you have the coolest photo ops.