[Game On] Mario Strikers

• Options
    polikupoliku Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    poliku wrote: »

haha wow, it just confirms to me that they added all these cool deke techniques, yet didn't bother to see how they would differ from the normal juke at all, so we get broken stuff like that.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    LeRoyLeRoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Seriously no cross region gaming allowed? Well, huge hairy testicles to that then.

Yeah I was really looking forward to matches against dem US Soocer Boys.

LeRoy on
    Mario Stürmer Aufgeladen Fußball:
    Friend Code 064 526 171 784
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »

haha wow, it just confirms to me that they added all these cool deke techniques, yet didn't bother to see how they would differ from the normal juke at all, so we get broken stuff like that.

superstrikeai5.png

cool, I didn't knew this

@TelMarine : I think these techniques were intended by the delevopers, after all the AI uses them too
    LeRoy wrote: »
    Seriously no cross region gaming allowed? Well, huge hairy testicles to that then.

strange, didn't Reggi specifically pointed out on the E3 Nintendo press conference that Mario Strikers will let people from Europe and America play against each other?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If he did then the boy was lying.

I should change the title. And you yanks better organise your own Cup ;)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What the shit? I actually *won* a series against a random matchup last night, and it didn't save the statistics?!? AFAIK, he didn't disconnect early; that's about 30 points more that I should have. When your power level... err... ranking is over 9,000, every point helps!

*grumble grumble whine complain grumble*

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

superstrikeai5.png

cool, I didn't knew this

@TelMarine : I think these techniques were intended by the delevopers, after all the AI uses them too
    LeRoy wrote: »

strange, didn't Reggi specifically pointed out on the E3 Nintendo press conference that Mario Strikers will let people from Europe and America play against each other?

I don't recall, but even so, maybe it's something they can get fix'd with an update of some sort down the line ... pretty damn disappointing

Oh and updated everyone from the wiki

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Another tip for you US boys. Shaking the nunchuk while your opponent is charging a Megastrike will shake the meter and put them off, hopefully meaning they won't get a max speed one. I haven't been able to determine if this is just a visual thing (i.e. the meter moves on screen but the timing to get max speed is still the same), or it changes the timing (screwing up people like me who can get a max speed ones 90% of the time). No-one has ever used this against me in over 200 matches, even when its the only thing they could do to spoil my Megastrike attempt. I think its just a forgotten note in the manual, but its saved my arse many times.

Cullen on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, is this another snaking fiasco, or are these exploits able to be countered?

Ranked play turns everyone into dicks. I wouldn't mind it so much if there was some way to more directly control the goalie.

Got some more games in last night with a friend, and had a blast. It can get really tense, especially after a couple of long sudden death matches. I can't wait to get online and play some PAers.

Also, two words:

Bicycle Hammer.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

So far, I haven't seen an "exploit" I couldn't counter, but I didn't play for billions of hours yet. I just hope it isn't another snaking fiasco. Man, MKDS had such potential...

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

So far, I haven't seen an "exploit" I couldn't counter, but I didn't play for billions of hours yet. I just hope it isn't another snaking fiasco. Man, MKDS had such potential...

Seriously, I loved that game to death, but online play was completely ruined. Everyone snaked, and if you managed to somehow beat them, they'd just drop out anyway. I don't think I ever played even one 'fair' race, where you could actually test your skill. I just don't get the fun of completely ignoring the point of the game just to get a higher ranking, I guess.

I'm all for online play, but I'm starting to get a severe distaste for ranked play. I think the only ranked game I've enjoyed was Tetris DS, since there wasn't much you could do to exploit it. Infinitely spinning blocks don't count, especially since you don't have time to keep spinning them once you get into the really quick matches. Man, I had some epic Tetris matches. I just want to play a game online with some strangers, and not have to worry about them disconnecting or exploiting the game to maintain their rating.

e: To clarify, it's not that I didn't know how to snake, or couldn't do it properly. I just didn't see the fun in it, and would much rather actually race.

Nickle on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Seriously, I loved that game to death, but online play was completely ruined. Everyone snaked, and if you managed to somehow beat them, they'd just drop out anyway. I don't think I ever played even one 'fair' race, where you could actually test your skill. I just don't get the fun of completely ignoring the point of the game just to get a higher ranking, I guess.

I'm all for online play, but I'm starting to get a severe distaste for ranked play. I think the only ranked game I've enjoyed was Tetris DS, since there wasn't much you could do to exploit it. Infinitely spinning blocks don't count, especially since you don't have time to keep spinning them once you get into the really quick matches. Man, I had some epic Tetris matches. I just want to play a game online with some strangers, and not have to worry about them disconnecting or exploiting the game to maintain their rating.

e: To clarify, it's not that I didn't know how to snake, or couldn't do it properly. I just didn't see the fun in it, and would much rather actually race.

I agree that ranked matches are evil, but ranked or unranked it's really just a matter of "playing against random people = tears" 90 percent of the time. Play against other forumers or people you know IRL and it'll be a much, much better time.

That said, I wonder how many people abusing techniques online realize that the stats are going to be wiped clean every single week, making their "grinding" completely worthless in the long run.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    chipotleherochipotlehero Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The absolute best part of the game is having wario fart and then hearing him say

"Excellent Vintage"

chipotlehero on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

I agree that ranked matches are evil, but ranked or unranked it's really just a matter of "playing against random people = tears" 90 percent of the time. Play against other forumers or people you know IRL and it'll be a much, much better time.

That said, I wonder how many people abusing techniques online realize that the stats are going to be wiped clean every single week, making their "grinding" completely worthless in the long run.

Yeah, when I saw that it resets every week, I had hope. But from what I'm reading, that doesn't stop people. Either way, like you said, I'll probably spend a majority of my time playing people I know, so it's not that big of a deal.

To clarify even further, when I say 'exploits' I'm soley referring to those deke tricks that pray on the goalie's AI in the video. Obviously, charged shots are integral, and a big part of the game is stopping them mid-charge or getting in the way.

Nickle on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

All this stuff requires extended periods of charging. I absolutely cannot pull this shit off with a difficult AI level because even if you get the shot off, most require a rebound shot, and your character will be tackled before the rebound comes back. Also in hard mode you can't get that close with Boo or Digger because they're so slow.
    (snip)

Yeah, when I saw that it resets every week, I had hope. But from what I'm reading, that doesn't stop people. Either way, like you said, I'll probably spend a majority of my time playing people I know, so it's not that big of a deal.

To clarify even further, when I say 'exploits' I'm soley referring to those deke tricks that pray on the goalie's AI in the video. Obviously, charged shots are integral, and a big part of the game is stopping them mid-charge or getting in the way.

There's a reason the video shows you how to do it in 2-player mode. Getting in that close is hard as hell in an actual game.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    man, wtf, how can there be no cross-reigon online multi?

Does Nintendo hate fun?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    There's a reason the video shows you how to do it in 2-player mode. Getting in that close is hard as hell in an actual game.

Yeah, I should probably reserve my bitching for when I actually get a chance to play online a bit. I'm just going off of what I've heard. Really, I had a blast playing with RL friends the past few nights, so I still have hope. When I was playing against the computer (on Normal setting anyway), I was getting a bit worried that some of the techniques were too easy to exploit, but that fear went away quickly as soon as I played a human.

It's mostly just that MKDS has made me wary.

Nickle on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

There's no exploit. This is how the game is played. Most characters can use their dekes to either run right into the goal or to stun defenders and take a charged shot - the AI does it too. Generally only the strong shooters are capable of shooting a normal shot past the goalie with no tricks. The counter is to keep them pressured with your defense.

Zek on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

To clarify even further, when I say 'exploits' I'm soley referring to those deke tricks that pray on the goalie's AI in the video.

As someone already pointed out, the AI uses these 'exploits' just the same. I've played games where a charged ball will be passed to a Dry Bones (I think he's the one), and then he does his deke through the goalie. I think the developer had this use in mind; it's just another strategy, and it does take some skill to charge it up, pass it to the right player and then use it at the right space/time.

One of the aspects of the game that people forget is the emphasis on instant, unstoppable goals. In my mind, that's what makes it so fun, and yet so frustrating when you're on the receiving end.

EDIT: Beat'd by 30 minutes... I've had this window open, waiting to reply :P

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Cool. Like I said, I was just going off of the comments I'd read. I'll reserve my judgement until I get my home internet connection up again, and I'm slaughtering you folks out on the pitch.

Also, I haven't seen the AI doing any of these things, but probably because I haven't played them on a high enough level.

Nickle on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You should check out a little known game by the name of Planet Puzzle League if you want skilled online matches...

My problem with the comp using the deke tricks is that it always seem to have dry bones waiting by the goal on the other side of the screen, so all it has to do is pass across the entire field to him and run into the goal. And man, fuck that crystal level where you face diddy for the first time. It's bad enough when I only have bowser/hammer bro against diddy/toad from the very beginning, but beaming all my characters off the level is fucking stupid.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Guys, guys, it's feint or fake. This is football, not ice hockey.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rami wrote: »

*posts instruction book scan*

Also, deke is just a cooler word.

Deke.

Nickle on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I am not very good at this game so this video, this video is great.

Accualt on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Deke is an equally valid term

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I thought this was a soccer game.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I haven't played the single player outside the lessons, but if the AI does use these tricks, than I guess there really isn't anymore I can say about that. I just wish the goalie was more aggressive in the box, he doesn't do shit.

Also I agree with the hate for the Crystal level, really stupid. When you get zapped down to two players, just tackle both the other people and go in for the score. I also hate the wind level because it is way to easy to fall off the map (without getting hit by something) or your entire team can get taken out by a cow or tractor. That level has a huge earthworm jim2 vibe for me.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Good point, I've just been calling it that from the instructions manual.

Then again, in football, I've never seen Ronaldinho do a Butt Smash...

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you spend enough time with this game (I've played 300+ games online) you will learn how to properly counter any of those supposedly "cheap" tactics pretty easily. Although I have to admit that I still have a hard time with players using high passes all the time (eh how do you stop this? pressing A when the ball flies over your head right?)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Deke is an equally valid term
    Not when it comes to football it ain't.

You probably don't even know what a schwalbe is. :P
    Just like I probably don't even know the correct way to spell it.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This is only fueling my desire to use the word 'deke' exclusively.

Crazy Europeans. Soccer isn't football.

Nickle on
  • Options
    polikupoliku Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you look at the training, one of the levels is on sidekick specials. You have three Boos and are told to find the perfect distance to score a goal with your special. After you beat it, you are told that you should look into other sidekicks and find out their specials and how to use them.

Also, note how the penalty box is extensively used as a marker for many of these "tricks". It's been said before, but I'm pretty sure all of these are intentional.

poliku on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dammit, I need to get this game.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd be down for a World Cup, but I am not sure how intercontinental matches will work lagwise. Has this been tested yet, if so how bad is it?

Brue on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    It seems like PAL and NTSC can't play together.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    PotU wrote: »

Apparently, the internet tube that crosses the Atlantic is all clogged up.

Sure, we all laughed at that Senator, but now it seems he was right all along.

Nickle on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PotU wrote: »

Apparently, the internet tube that crosses the Atlantic is all clogged up.

Sure, we all laughed at that Senator, but now it seems he was right all along.

No, trucks cant drive across teh ocean. DUHHHHH

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    LaviLavi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't recall Reggie stating we could, he just stated that Nintendo was "serious" about online in that press summit they had earlier before E3.

It was a magazine called NZone in Europe that stated that we could play against anyone around the world.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=17257

I'm not sure if something is lost in translation, but does it give the impression we need to add our Wii Codes first and then the Strikers Code for it to work? But it most likely doesn't work at all

Lavi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I really don't understand what the problem would be. I mean, it's the f-ing internet man. Communication at the speed of light. There should be no difference between playing against someone next door and playing against someone around the world.

It has to be some problem with Nintendo. And it's one I hope they fix soon.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    so the stats system is completely broken. I have -4 losses (yes negative), none of the losses I got yesterday were counted, and my wins and losses get randomly added and deleted.

TelMarine on