As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strangest/Shittiest movies no one's ever heard of

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anyone remember Deep Rising? One of Stephen Summers early films starring Treat Williams?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ninja Bot wrote: »
    JeffH wrote: »
    "The Gingerdead Man", with the gingerbread man voiced by Gary Busey...

I like shitty horror movies alot and even I couldn't stand this

Some shitty horror movies I liked, though were Satan's Little Helper and Uncle Sam

Yes Gingerdead Man sucked a major amount of ass.

However this movie by the same studio was pure gold.
    EvilBong.jpg

Tommy Chong's actually only in it for about 5 minutes and there's only two sets in the entire movie, but yet somehow the creators were able to make the perfectly shitty movie.

After bringing us the beautiful Puppet Master series, Full Moon Productions can do no wrong in my eyes.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Anyone remember Deep Rising? One of Stephen Summers early films starring Treat Williams?

Yup. I enjoyed it.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »

Yup. I enjoyed it.

That was the one with the boat right? And Framke Jansson?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, it also had benny from the mummy and a bunch of other b-listers. Fairly graphic little horror movie.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, it also had benny from the mummy and a bunch of other b-listers. Fairly graphic little horror movie.

Trevor Goddard was not a B-lister!! D: You take that back!

Decent enough flick; not good, not bad, just decent.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Would C-lister suicide be more applicable howdy?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Next to fantastic planet, there was another animation that I watched as a child:

Allegro Non Troppo - I honestly would kill for a pal DVD at this point, right now my only hope is that my family can tape it when it gets shown in a few days (I don't even have a vcr anymore and don't catch that channel anyway :( )

Especially the Bolero sequence is so fucking awesome.

Weren't there even more of those really weird cartoons? I think I watched most of them as a child and I remember some of them scared the shit out of me (i remember scenes of people walking/getting chased in ruins or being in labyrinths all in the same style as Fantastic Planet - that stuff definetely messed me up a bit).

Oh, another, but probably much more well known movie, still really strange - Yellow Submarine (the price for that DVD makes a grown man cry)

Edit: Haha, bolero
    Part 1
    Part 2

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    12gauge wrote: »
    Weren't there even more of those really weird cartoons? I think I watched most of them as a child and I remember some of them scared the shit out of me (i remember scenes of people walking/getting chased in ruins or being in labyrinths all in the same style as Fantastic Planet - that stuff definetely messed me up a bit).

I don't remember there being any labyrinths, but the Fantastic Planet people did another movie called Light Years.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    12gauge wrote: »

I don't remember there being any labyrinths, but the Fantastic Planet people did another movie called Light Years.

I also might have dreamed that labyrinth part - I attribute most of my surreal dreams to watching artistic cartoons in the eighties.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    This old animated movie from the 70s called Wizards.

It's about 2 wizards who are brothers fighting each other millions of years in the future, one is a good wizard who only uses magic and nature and the other one uses scavanged technology from our era, including Nazi propaganda to brainwash soldiers.

Surprisingly enjoyable, though it may have had something to do with my state of mind at the time I saw this movie.

Holy crap someone else who watched that.

I watched it when I was like, 14 at 1 AM.

Some parts were just creepy.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    This old animated movie from the 70s called Wizards.

It's about 2 wizards who are brothers fighting each other millions of years in the future, one is a good wizard who only uses magic and nature and the other one uses scavanged technology from our era, including Nazi propaganda to brainwash soldiers.

Surprisingly enjoyable, though it may have had something to do with my state of mind at the time I saw this movie.

Holy crap someone else who watched that.

I watched it when I was like, 14 at 1 AM.

Some parts were just creepy.

yeah, when i was 12-15, my family got cinemax for free, and it was on one night. scared the crap out of 12 year old pants boy, what with the nazis and violence and crap, but now pants man saw it again recently and realized just how horribly hilarious it actually is.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Space channel here in Canada shows Wizards a few times a year. I even watched it in my high school english class. Teacher was a pothead though.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    AWinnerIsYouAWinnerIsYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    mutiny_in_space.jpg

Think Battlestar Galactica crossed with Star Trek gone horribly wrong.

Holy shit, is this the Big McLargeHuge movie? This was hands down one of the funniest MST3ks of all time.

AWinnerIsYou on
    "It's like a pterodactyl from a gay Jurassic Park."
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow, Fantastic Planet is great... I only watched part 1 on YouTube, and I wish I could've understood what they were saying (subtitles would be great), but it's artistic and intriguing nonetheless.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    RandomtaskRandomtask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Qingu wrote: »
    Also:

JESUS CHRIST: VAMPIRE HUNTER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNv1_Vv9ahI

You'd wonder how they could fuck up this premise. All they needed to do was have a guy in a beard and long robes fighting a bunch of vampires. But Jesus loses the beard and the robe like ten minutes into the movie. The rest of the movie is a short guy with short hair in modern clothes fighting vampires. For all I know, the movie originally had nothing to do with Jesus and was just a generic vampire fighting movie, then they realized it sucked, added ten minutes to the beginning with the main character dressed as Jesus, and then slapped the title on there.

I have seen this movie and it is my favorite of all time.
    This cannot be argued or disputed, for it is my unshakable opinion.

Randomtask on
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    RE Eraserhead: How dare anyone who mentioned it as shitty. It is wonderful.

RE Gummo: That movie will cause your soul to leave your body. I respect it as such.

Gim on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know how many people have seen it in actuality. But Salo, or 120 Days of Sodom and Gomorra is quite possibly the most awful thing I've ever seen. It's not awful in the, "It's incredibly shitty," way. It's awful in the sense that this is a film of power and horror, amongst other things. A film so powerfully created, depicting and satirizing the atrocities committed by the leaders in power at the height of Italy's Fascist government, that the director was stabbed to death by a male prostitute.

If you can find a copy of it on DVD for less than a thousand dollars or even less than fifty, I'd say give it a watch. I couldn't sleep the night I viewed it, and horror movies generally don't affect me. It's that genuinely fucked up.

Begotten is another film that's severely strange, something I've watched three times and still feel strange at the end. Not film that's easily described and one that's certainly not easy to watch.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    unilateralunilateral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A few years ago, I happened to flip to showtime (we got it free in the dorms) and me and my roommate ended up watching this movie for almost two hours, keeping us up til like 5 am. We never got to the see the name, so we had to look it up the next day. I

t was called "Lord of Illusions." It was one fucked up strange movie. It centered around some guy trying to destroy his former cult and its leader, but there were so many things going on in it that it was just crazy. I guess I would urge anyone who enjoys strange sci-fiish movies to take a chance and watch it.

unilateral on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    mutiny_in_space.jpg

Think Battlestar Galactica crossed with Star Trek gone horribly wrong.

Holy shit, is this the Big McLargeHuge movie? This was hands down one of the funniest MST3ks of all time.

Yes it was. My favorite line:

"he's gonna open his eyes, he's gonna open his eyes"
    *bad guy opens his eyes*
    "I'm sitting in something wet"

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The animation to "Fantastic Planet" reminds me of the animated sequences in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

In terms of style, I mean; not content.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JohnnyFirebirdJohnnyFirebird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pants Man wrote: »
    yeah, when i was 12-15, my family got cinemax for free, and it was on one night. scared the crap out of 12 year old pants boy, what with the nazis and violence and crap, but now pants man saw it again recently and realized just how horribly hilarious it actually is.
    Wizards was an interesting film. Like much of Bakshi's movies, it's rough. It's worth watching, though, if you want to see what an independent feature length animation looks like. From what I've heard on the creation of the film, much of it was animated in people's basements. And it's hard to really pull out a concrete plot out of the thing. It's a product of the 70s for sure. The strange movement of the characters reminds me of the Wand of Gamelon.

The weirdest film I've seen in a long time is an early Cronenberg film called "The Brood." Basically, every time a woman gets mad, boils pop up on her neck. Eventually, weird demon babies pop out of these boils and enact her rage. I wouldn't call this a shitty movie, but one of the strangest.

JohnnyFirebird on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Intacto_Poster.jpg

This is a fucking great movie. It would be even more awesome going into it knowing nothing, but if you must know:
    "The film depicts an underground trade in luck; where fortune flows from those who have less to those who have more. Rooted in magical realism, the premise purports that luck can be amassed and transfered as any other commodity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intacto

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ruiner999 wrote: »
    I don't know how many people have seen it in actuality. But Salo, or 120 Days of Sodom and Gomorra is quite possibly the most awful thing I've ever seen. It's not awful in the, "It's incredibly shitty," way. It's awful in the sense that this is a film of power and horror, amongst other things. A film so powerfully created, depicting and satirizing the atrocities committed by the leaders in power at the height of Italy's Fascist government, that the director was stabbed to death by a male prostitute.

If you can find a copy of it on DVD for less than a thousand dollars or even less than fifty, I'd say give it a watch. I couldn't sleep the night I viewed it, and horror movies generally don't affect me. It's that genuinely fucked up.

Begotten is another film that's severely strange, something I've watched three times and still feel strange at the end. Not film that's easily described and one that's certainly not easy to watch.

Just read through the cuts made in germany in the 70s (which where then again included in the rereleased version in 2003, it seems) and what the movie is about - I don't think I really want to see that D:

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    i know a lot of people might have heard of Brown Bunny, but i bet only like .01% of those people have actually seen it.

i just have to give props to gallo for writing, directing, and starring in a movie for the seemingly sole purpose of getting his dick sucked

The only part of the movie I saw. ;-)

Gallo's flicks usually fall in the Pure Shit/Artistic genius camp, depending on who you ask. I think they're mostly pure shit.
    The screening of the film at Cannes was a fiasco; the audience openly booed and made catcalls, reportedly bringing Sevigny to tears and prompting a humiliated Gallo to apologize for the film. Gallo added that the fact that several French critics were defending the film despite its unfinished state was "almost like salt in the wound."

At that time, many people predicted that this movie would never receive theatrical release in US.
    Upon his return to America, however, Gallo took a defiant stance, defending the film and denying his apology. A war of words then erupted between Gallo and film critic Roger Ebert, with Ebert writing that The Brown Bunny was the worst film in the history of Cannes, and Gallo retorting by calling Ebert a "fat pig with the physique of a slave trader." Ebert then responded, paraphrasing a statement once made by Winston Churchill, that "one day I will be thin, but Vincent Gallo will always be the director of The Brown Bunny." Gallo then claimed to have put a hex on Ebert's colon, cursing the critic with cancer. Ebert then replied that enduring his colonoscopy would be more entertaining than watching The Brown Bunny. Gallo, afterward, stated that he had been misquoted and that the hex had actually been placed on Ebert's prostate.
    hahahahaha
    I think the funniest part is that then Gallo re-edited Brown Bunny, cutting 26 minutes of footage from what had been shown at Cannes, and then Ebert re-reviewed it and said, "And now it's a pretty good movie, that sucks nowhere near as much. Except for, y'know, that one part."
    I'm heavily paraphrasing.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Intacto_Poster.jpg

This is a fucking great movie. It would be even more awesome going into it knowing nothing, but if you must know:
    "The film depicts an underground trade in luck; where fortune flows from those who have less to those who have more. Rooted in magical realism, the premise purports that luck can be amassed and transfered as any other commodity."

This is far too good and not strange enough to be in this thread!

Janson on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Intacto_Poster.jpg

That sounds awesome.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Primer.jpg
    The film was made $7000, but has an ending better than movies made for 1000x as much. 9 timelines to keep track of and the high level physics central to the story make it worth watching multiple times.

I first saw the movie one random day on IFC, I was confused as hell, because I stumbled upon it a quarter of the way through. I caught it again three hours later on IFC west, but didn't think to hit the DVR. It's an awesome movie.

Malkor on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Primer.jpg
    The film was made $7000, but has an ending better than movies made for 1000x as much. 9 timelines to keep track of and the high level physics central to the story make it worth watching multiple times.

I first saw the movie one random day on IFC, I was confused as hell, because I stumbled upon it a quarter of the way through. I caught it again three hours later on IFC west, but didn't think to hit the DVR. It's an awesome movie.

Primer isn't really strange, and certainly not shitty. I don't think it really belongs in this thread.

But goddamn, I love that fucking movie.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    If you sat random people in a room and let them watch the movie fully 80% of them would walk out going "GUH?"

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    If you sat random people in a room and let them watch the movie fully 80% of them would walk out going "GUH?"

So a movie is strange because most people are retarded? I mean, sure, the timelines take a few viewings to sort out, but the core plot of the movie makes perfect sense and doesn't take a massive intellect to understand.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

So a movie is strange because most people are retarded? I mean, sure, the timelines take a few viewings to sort out, but the core plot of the movie makes perfect sense and doesn't take a massive intellect to understand.

Sure, the core plot of two dudes going back in time is the same as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but the presentation was unusual. No one was screaming about Jigawatts or going 'Woah'. The only other movie I've seen use physics as a plot device was in physics class, and it was boring as hell. The movie is unusual and strange because it is entertaining and so damn good.

Malkor on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ruiner999 wrote: »

Oh, that reminds me. 120 Days of Sodom was written by Marquis de Sade, and we all know what kind of guy he was, right?

Well, turns out they made a French muppet-like movie over his imprisonment. I picked this up after hearing it was like Meet the Feebles, but it's just... christ. It features torture, fellatio, sadomasochism, a giant animatronic talking penis, all the sort of stuff you'd expect from a movie about Marquis de Sade, but... with muppets. I don't know what to do with my copy, 'cause I sure as hell never want to see it again - it is an experience, though, and I'm sure it has its share of artistic value.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Sure, the core plot of two dudes going back in time is the same as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but the presentation was unusual. No one was screaming about Jigawatts or going 'Woah'. The only other movie I've seen use physics as a plot device was in physics class, and it was boring as hell. The movie is unusual and strange because it is entertaining and so damn good.

I mean in that the focus of the movie was, imo, more on the degrading friendship between these two friends as things went further and further, and the culmination of that towards the end, all of which can be understood without even acknowledging the details of time travel.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No one's mentioned Ed and His Dead Mother, yet? I think it fits all of the requirements for this thread. With a bonus Buscemi. As the main character, no less, which in itself is rather strange.
    though, inexplicably, I still love it.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think the funniest part is that then Gallo re-edited Brown Bunny, cutting 26 minutes of footage from what had been shown at Cannes, and then Ebert re-reviewed it and said, "And now it's a pretty good movie, that sucks nowhere near as much. Except for, y'know, that one part."
    I'm heavily paraphrasing.

Uh, that's not really what he said:
    ebert wrote:
    In the original version, there was an endless, pointless sequence of Bud driving through Western states and collecting bug splats on his windshield; the 81/2 minutes Gallo has taken out of that sequence were as exciting as watching paint after it has already dried. Now he arrives sooner in California, and there is the now-famous scene in a motel room involving Daisy (Chloe Sevigny). Yes, it is explicit, and no, it is not gratuitous.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Reading comprehension for the win. :|

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wizards was an interesting film. Like much of Bakshi's movies, it's rough. It's worth watching, though, if you want to see what an independent feature length animation looks like. From what I've heard on the creation of the film, much of it was animated in people's basements. And it's hard to really pull out a concrete plot out of the thing. It's a product of the 70s for sure. The strange movement of the characters reminds me of the Wand of Gamelon.

The weirdest film I've seen in a long time is an early Cronenberg film called "The Brood." Basically, every time a woman gets mad, boils pop up on her neck. Eventually, weird demon babies pop out of these boils and enact her rage. I wouldn't call this a shitty movie, but one of the strangest.

Regarding The Brood, those things didn't pop out of her neck...
    She had like an external egg sac/uterus thing they came out of. Watch until the end.

Sick, sick movie.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Speaking of Cronenberg, eXistenZ was also pretty goddamn weird.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My wife, a HUGE David Lynch fan, has been rewatching the Twin Peaks series so it's a bit on my mind lately. For such a huge fan of his she refused to watch Eraserhead with me so I had to watch it alone. She can't put it to words but she just can't watch it. It's very weird.

There's low frequency noise throughout the movie, your ears can't hear it but it's enough to create a feeling of discomfort.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png