As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thinking about joining the military

• Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    you have to volunteer for special forces qualifying courses after you have already enlisted and been through boot camp and your technical school. the army offers an 18X airborne ranger enlistment contract but it takes quite a bit to qualify for that, and most people don't. to volunteer for special forces qualifying you have to have an MOS in the combat arms field.

also, you're a bitch. just throwing that out there.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    In their defense

H/A

We gave honest answers, and this "hopeful" stammers out some 3rd grader whining.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    have you considered defeating the terrorists by rolling over them with your enormous girth?

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys dont be too hard on him, he hasn't really formed a real decision, more a "hey this might not be a bad idea" and heres stuff that pushes me in that direction.

Seriously, one day he might just make it, and on acceptance into his regiment be all like "Huzzah". Or he might not.

Remember where and why America's Army got made?

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Guys dont be too hard on him, he hasn't really formed a real decision, more a "hey this might not be a bad idea" and heres stuff that pushes me in that direction.

Seriously, one day he might just make it, and on acceptance into his regiment be all like "Huzzah". Or he might not.

Remember where and why America's Army got made?

Yeah but he came into se and then called everyone faggots when he didn't get the answers he was expecting. i mean the answers he got, he should have expected, since he's in se.

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited July 2007
    And even then there were legitimate answers!

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, how do I sign up for Hero Squad?

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    SpazMuffin wrote: »
    Hey guys, how do I sign up for Hero Squad?

#1. Slit your wrist, and drain one pint of blood from your arm into a clear plastic container.

#2. Visit your local zoo or local African Wilderness.

#3. Proceed to cover your head with your blood.

#4. Flail your arms wildly.

Calamity Jane on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I watched Stripes today and it made me want to join the army because I mean it looks so fun

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited July 2007
    After several minutes of waiting, proceed to beat a lion or any other predatory feline in your vicinity to death.

Calamity Jane on
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't mind joining the justice league, can I get an app :P

But I think this thread should be locked, I got myself 2 infractions in the sicko thread, and I don't really want to be jailed for offtopic

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2007
    this is the off topic forum

Mister Longbaugh on
  • WiseguyWiseguy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    the new army commercials piss me off. some dudes are playing some shitty ass war game with the most outdated graphics. one of the in-game soldiers turns around and taps the screen.

"hey you wanna see some real action?"

yeah, okay, sir. i love shooting dudes in this video game. i'll totally go join the army and shoot dudes in real life.

Wiseguy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The army is a lot like the movie Kelly’s Heroes right?

Trexy on
    edited July 2007
    lol over here they are short, but to the point.

They show some soldiers in training and have a voice-over.

Basic stuff, but it works.

MrIamMe on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't join the military. I did and they kicked me out.

They'll probably kick you out too.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited July 2007
    nah being in the army is totally like being harry the goblin in spiderman 3.

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2007
    i can't believe i'm still trying to enlist after all the hoops i've had to jump through thus far

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited July 2007
    i can't believe i'm still trying to enlist after all the hoops i've had to jump through thus far

You should just give up and start drinking now. It'll save you some time.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • JayraeJayrae Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A quiz:

1. claxton really wants to see just how good he can be.
    2. claxton has friends from high school who went to college and started doing drugs. He doesn't want to be like them.
    3. If claxton doesn't join the military, our country may fall, and then his friend will have died in vain. He doesn't want that.

Is claxton:

A) Some kind of time-traveling refugee from 1956;
    B) A goddamned moron;
    C) The larval stage of that one-legged schizophrenic drunk with the cardboard sign (VETERAN -- PLEASE HELP -- GOD BLESS) who asks you for change outside the mini-mart?

Jayrae on
    edited July 2007
    Its taken me 2.5 years to re-enlist, but this time as an officer.

In 9 days I go, and you wont hear from me again for at least 6 months :P

EDIT: OMG a time traveler! But this isn't the Dr Who thread?

MrIamMe on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    being in the army is all do pushups and shine shoes

and sponge bullets

the wook on
    edited July 2007
    Oh fuck. Wolves.

Calamity Jane on
    edited July 2007
    i think the answer is B

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited July 2007
    In basic training they make you shower with other dudes. And those dudes will all be looking at your junk and stuff. You don't want some muscle-bound guy looking at your junk after a hard day of doing push-ups and other manly man things, do you?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fig leaf

Ol' Sparky on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd join if I could.

Instead I'm looking into being a fireman. Still not sure if I can be one. Oh well, I still have a buttload of time to decide on that one.

But I'll opt for OP is a retard.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would have probably joined.

However God uses me as a sick form of entertainment for him and his drunken buddies.

So I couldn't. Would have gone Marines, because fuck, if you're gonna go for it.... go all the way. I could have been a vacant-eyed drunk by now doing pushups in the sun and yelling at my kids.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Air wrote: »
    you dont just go around asking to be in the special forces what kind of numbskull are you

the special forces are invitation only
    No they aren't.

There's an application.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Longbauh, I thought you were in, and driving submarines, what happened? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Also, as far as Special Forces and whatnot. Lets clear some stuff up

Only the Army has Special Forces. Those green beret wearin' fellers? Those are Special forces. Direct Action, training indigenous forces, counter terrorism, etc.

Everything else in the US is Special Operational Forces

Navy has SEALs, UDT, and a few others under Naval special warfare group, I believe.

Airforce has Special Tactics teams. Pararescue Jumpers, who jump out of planes to do Combat Search and Rescue, killing anyone who gets in their way. Combat Controllers who go in first to direct air traffic from the ground. Combat weathermen who do a similar deal, but with weather involved, Tactical Air Control Parties, which call in air strikes with fancy GPS gizmos and what not

Marines only recently got a unit under the Special Ops Command. But their elite of the elite is force recon.

As far as going striaght in, it can be done, if you're superman himself. Or batman. A lot of guys who have been soldiers for years, and are in amazing shape, go through ranger/special forces school, and still wash out. The guy who is coming straight out of basic training doesnt have a good chance. If you fail selection, dont expect to just be able to go home. Chances are, you'd be sent to Infantry or whatever your branche's grunt backbone job is. And you'd be stuck there for a few years.

Im sure I probably got some fact or detail wrong, but thats the jist of it.

CangoFett on
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Stuff

Yeah, pretty much.

Basically what's going to happen is when you get to your unit, you'll probably have two SF "recruiters" come through that fiscal year and see who's interested in joining SF. You've got to have a minimum GT score (that's part of your ASVAB that determines what jobs you can do) of 110 or so, and they're going to run you through the PT test on the 17-21 columns, and you have to make it in the 60 or 70 percentile, which is something like 56 push ups, 65+ situps, and a 2 mile run of around 14-15 minutes or so. I'm not sure if they still do the combat swim, as its been a while.

And that's probably the easiest thing you'll do, and that's no hyperbole.

After that, its off to sunny Fort Bragg to Special Forces Selection, where you'll play in the woods a bit and they'll test you to see if you're even trainable as Special Forces. Basically, its three weeks of land navigation, obstacle courses, and hiking through the thick ass woods of Carolina, up and down hills with everything you own on your back, ending with a 40 mile cross country hike that has to be completed in two days. A buddy of mine went through it, and his calluses split open on his feet. What'd he do? Super glued them back together and kept on walking.

And even if you pass, they can still say you need some "seasoning" and tell you to come back in a month or two.

And if you complete it, congrats! That was the second easiest thing you're going to go through. You'll go back to your unit and wait for a Q Course date before you start anywhere from 8 months to 2 years of training, depending on your specialty.

So yeah, if you think that because you play DDR you've got the physical conditioning (don't laugh! Its been used before on these boards!) to do SF and go through Selection, you're kidding yourself. Best thing you can do is learn to walk far distances with a load on your back.

siliconenhanced on
    edited July 2007
    Um thats it for a fitness test? Cos thats kind of slack. I assume most people get past that easy?

Australian Infantry is held to higher standards than that at the min.

I guess though, you guys have the resources to take a lot more in and build the fitness, our course doesn't allow for that in the schedule, so you have to be fit enough going in.

I just had a mate wash out of SAS selection. 100 in his class, he got 3/4 of the way through and there were only 5 left at that stage.

EDIT: Just to give everyone an idea, my daily routine is 3x 45 pushups, 2x 100 situps, and a 3km run in under 12 mins. Takes about 45mins-1hour. When I go to RMC it will be much worse.

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2007
    Um thats it for a fitness test? Cos thats kind of slack. I assume most people get past that easy?

Australian Infantry is held to higher standards than that at the min.

I guess though, you guys have the resources to take a lot more in and build the fitness, our course doesn't allow for that in the schedule, so you have to be fit enough going in.

I just had a mate wash out of SAS selection. 100 in his class, he got 3/4 of the way through and there were only 5 left at that stage.

EDIT: Just to give everyone an idea, my daily routine is 3x 45 pushups, 2x 100 situps, and a 3km run in under 12 mins. Takes about 45mins-1hour. When I go to RMC it will be much worse.

That PT test is just to get into the door.

You can do push ups all day, but the ability to bear a load is much more prized. I knew plenty of skinny dudes who could score 300/300 on a PT test but when it came to rucking they fell out because they couldn't carry their kit.

So yeah, I'd imagine that's why they're kinda "meh" about the PT test part of it.

siliconenhanced on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Haha, Wiggin can't swim.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • april__29april__29 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i saw the thread title and all i could think of was ben folds

april__29 on
    Untitled-1-2.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Yeah core strength is what carries the load. Thats your abs and that region.

Situps, crunches and reverse crunches help a lot there.

I'm just a bit surprised that they will include "build up fitness" time into a testing period.

MrIamMe on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuck I live in the desert and I can swim

he doesn't have an excuse

What if he is a black?

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    Yeah core strength is what carries the load. Thats your abs and that region.

Situps, crunches and reverse crunches help a lot there.

I'm just a bit surprised that they will include "build up fitness" time into a testing period.

Hmm? Where did you take "build up fitness" from that?

I know the guys who left for Selection from my unit were able to march 30 miles in a heavy snow with a 70 pound ruck up in Alaska before they felt they were ready.

Its pretty much a given that you're going to get stronger, but if you're not at Level X of conditioning, you have no business being there and its going to show.

siliconenhanced on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on