As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My basement flooded

• Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Throughout the world, execution via electric shock has widely been regarded as inhumane.[citation needed] Other than the United States, only the Philippines used this method for a few years. It remains a legal means of execution in some states of the USA.[5] It is reportedly one of the most grisly forms of modern execution to witness, with smoke or actual flame visible, coming from the prisoner's garments or cap.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Let's just all go to rotten.com now.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hunter plays with science everyday

After 8 years with this company, including internships, the fact I have all my toes, fingers, and both eyes still working is a bit of a miracle. While I'm smart and do use my PPE, the stuff I work with is basically fire, lots of electricity, pinch points, and dangerous chemicals.

Hunter on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    green mile itt

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hunter wrote: »

After 8 years with this company, including internships, the fact I have all my toes, fingers, and both eyes still working is a bit of a miracle. While I'm smart and do use my PPE, the stuff I work with is basically fire, lots of electricity, pinch points, and dangerous chemicals.
    remember kids

pee on the electrical fire to put it out

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You need to figure out a way to get chainsaws involved with your work, Hunter.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Nothing is more American then electrocution of criminals. Where a simple bullet, a noose, or a cocktail of drugs would do the trick, we decided that strapping you to a chair and surging large doses of electricity through your body is the best method of telling you "ha ha fuckhead, you shouldn't have done that".

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    You need to figure out a way to get chainsaws involved with your work, Hunter.

I do work with Ribbon Blenders. I have received instructions like "while this batch is mixing, go in and grab a quick sample or two and run chemistry on them". A lesser man would turn it off.

interior_stainless_home.jpg

Hunter on
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I still have another year of school, but I could be a licensed residential electrician right now if I wanted to.

I have to work on motors and PLCs this year. its going to be rough.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've seen a bunch of Firefighter safety videos, including guys working on a roof accidentally backing up against high voltage lines, guys falling halfway through a roof, a guy climbing up a ladder truck not wearing his Bunker jacket (just bunker pants and gloves) he gets to the top, and a wall collapses and 800+ degree fire gases vent directly in his face. He survived, with 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his exposed skin.

One of the worst for me was a video on firefighting liquid fires, where some firefighters are foaming a pool of burning fuel about 2 feet deep, from a catwalk a couple feet above. Everything's going well until one of them looses his balance and falls in, breaking the foam film that prevents the fuel from igniting, and all of a sudden he's struggling through 2 foot deep fuel towards the edge and anywhere he goes he breaks the foam causing more fuel to ignite, falling and struggling and splashing and surrounded by flames, and you just know he's soaked in fuel now and probably can't breathe very well (even our latest SCBA's aren't designed to work in liquid). That was the most agonizing 30-45 seconds of video I think I've every watched.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    Captain HeavysteinCaptain Heavystein Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

That's what I do right now, but there's only a week of it left. Then I go back to college to work toward a permanent career of danger.

We recently had a 600 gallon sulfuric acid spill.

SIX HUNDRED GALLONS!

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    badfishbadfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Old friend of mine in Montana blew the back of his eye ball out. He was doing a cable locate and backed his head in to an electric fence. You can't notice it though. I didn't know he was blind in one eye until he told me.

badfish on
    "What you had there is what we refer to as a focused non-terminal repeating phantasm or a Class 5 full-roaming vapor."
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've heard that even lethal injection can get pretty grisly if the drugs aren't administered properly.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited August 2007

That's what I do right now, but there's only a week of it left. Then I go back to college to work toward a permanent career of danger.

We recently had a 600 gallon sulfuric acid spill.

SIX HUNDRED GALLONS!

That goes in the "oops" pile.

Industrial Chemistry...loads of dangerous fun and hot, dirty grunt work for people who thought college = desk job.

Hunter on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    devoid of a superpower-infusing accident

once again

they hate you

Funny, the first thing I thought of after having asessed the situation was the comic where Gabe "got these powers for a reason."

But PennyPacker won't find it for me. :(

Really, maybe I got powers. Or maybe I'm like, psychically linked to my Wii now.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Actually, the only thing that has ever scared the hell out of me in my job was working at our Texas plant when there were tornado warnings all over the place. We didn't have a true bunker, so the next best thing was climbing down into the rail car unloading pits. Tiny space, lots of people, horrible natural events, and seeking protection in a spot that isn't specifically designed to protect you. SIGN ME UP!

Being in a fine marble mine that's nearly 3 miles underground was tough too. Once you get to the actual stone site it's not bad, but the ride down was fucking intense.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Actually, the only thing that has ever scared the hell out of me in my job was working at our Texas plant when there were tornado warnings all over the place. We didn't have a true bunker, so the next best thing was climbing down into the rail car unloading pits. Tiny space, lots of people, horrible natural events, and seeking protection in a spot that isn't specifically designed to protect you. SIGN ME UP!

Being in a fine marble mine that's nearly 3 miles underground was tough too. Once you get to the actual stone site it's not bad, but the ride down was fucking intense.

"Quick! Everyone down to the pits! Don't worry, what are the chances of a Tornado and a dangerous chemical spill occuring on the same day?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »

"Quick! Everyone down to the pits! Don't worry, what are the chances of a Tornado and a dangerous chemical spill occuring on the same day?

That thought crossed my mind when they made me practice getting down into the pit. Then the guy I was with cracked a huge fart down there, laughed, and said "we're fucked if a tornado hits, aren't we". He is the plant safety manager.

Hunter on
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    For real. There was like an inch of water down there this morning. I woke up to a really bad thunderstorm, but it wasn't anything we hadn't seen before. For some reason the basement flooded, nothing like this has ever happened before.

I wanted to save my Wii, since I had just spent a load of money on it and had been looking for one for a while, and like I'm going to let that go waste. Only the plug was submerged (in a surge protector), and I shocked myself unplugging it. I wasn't sure what was going on at first, but my arm started shaking and tingling. It was crazy.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it should be fine. I'm more worried about my TV, which was on the floor. I'm supposed to take it to school in a few weeks, it would suck if my roommate and I had a Wii and PS2, but no TV.

So now the rest of my day will be spent cleaning the entire basement. Getting rid of water, Swiffering the dirt that has collected, throwing out old soggy Pokemon cards and pictures. At least I was already off work for the day.

You guys have any similar experiences? Amusing comments to add?

ha ha

150cc on
  • Options
    CadderlyCadderly Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A Wii and a PS2 with no TV. That sentence humors me.

Cadderly on
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    lool @ that

ha ha duder

man i am debating buying a 360 now that the price is dropping again

man

it would mean no mgs4

but man

150cc on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I can probably do without MGS4

the 360 might be in my future

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When I ran my field, I had to run 220v out to another shed. I have a underling hop in the tractor and I jump in the bucket and he raises me up with a dead cable. I hook it to the feed coming in at the first building and cap the end of the cable.

it's perfectly safe now... right? right?

No. Halfway across the parking lot it contacts the bucket and arcs.

"Shit! Shit! Stop the fucking tractor!"

Now I'm about 12 feet up or so, so apparntly he heard:

"Shit! Shit! Drop the fucking bucket!"

Does he do it gently? Does he do it even remotely safely? No. He cuts the hydraulic power completely and slams the bucket down, releasing the cap off the cable completely and dumping me and the cable onto the ground. Hard. As I get up I guess I must have come into contact with the business end becaue I don't remeber anything except waking up in the hospital with some wicked burns on my thighs and calves. My employee apparntly drug me me off the cable with something or other, but he said it looked like I was lit up for at elast a couple seconds.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wow, stale, you work with some very nice people.

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    man stale

i am pretty sure something is trying to kill you

Kovak on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    chicks dig burn marks and scars

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    chicks dig all signs of battle, really.

Cripples, amputees, horribly disfigured faces....

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    chicks dig all signs of battle, really.

Cripples, amputees, horribly disfigured faces....

This is why I'm hot.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    oh god im getting so wet

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also I'm amazed no one has used "Flooded Basement" as a double-entendre.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Stale, were you about to board a plane once but then had a vision of the plane exploding, so you caught a later flight but the plane that you were supposed to be on exploded on take-off?

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Stale's like my grandpa and grandma on my dad's side.

Literally 6 heart attacks and 3 strokes between them.

Cancer in one, replacement knees and probably alzheimer's in the other.

Still kicking.

Huh, I haven't talked to them in a while.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    they probably had their tongues cut out, didn't they?

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    Stale, were you about to board a plane once but then had a vision of the plane exploding, so you caught a later flight but the plane that you were supposed to be on exploded on take-off?

No, but once I did start to get onto the freeway, and at the last second for no reason let my foot off the gas, only to see a tanker trailor jack-knife in front of me spilling milk everywhere and totalling the 3 cars I was travelling next to.

That was kinda nifty. Except for the guy in the car in front of me, he died. Overdose of truck axel to the windshield.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    one time i was on a highway on top of a tractor trailer that is going towards another trailer and i was like "oh shit"

but then

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Stale wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

No, but once I did start to get onto the freeway, and at the last second for no reason let my foot off the gas, only to see a tanker trailor jack-knife in front of me spilling milk everywhere and totalling the 3 cars I was travelling next to.

That was kinda nifty. Except for the guy in the car in front of me, he died. Overdose of truck axel to the windshield.

Milk. Does a body CRUSHED.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    one time i was on a highway on top of a tractor trailer that is going towards another trailer and i was like "oh shit"

but then

Don't leave us hanging.

Then I came flying in with my superpowers and saved you and built the pyramids, right?

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    no, then your mom had an orgasm and the euphemism ended.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You are a terrible friend.

I swear, the shock gave me powers. For a reason.

Jimothy on