As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Zombie Apocalypse Speculation Thread

1282930313234»

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know. Something about me is broken I guess.

Get this man a katana, stat!
    Page- wrote: »
    Why do so many people find zombies so interesting? Over all the other world ending possibilities or monsters, why zombies?
    Because the zombies themselves are really only a plot device, and almost all the really great zombies stories out there aren't about the zombies, they're about the people. It's a variation on 'trapped in a cabin by a deadly blizzard/typhoon/land shark.' Look at World War Z. The zombies literally get 0 screentime. In all honesty, it's people sitting around talking. If you directly translated the book into a visual medium, it'd literally be Max Brooks in one chair, and the interviewee in another, and it's the greatest zombie story I've ever encountered.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Right. Notice how the sci-fi equivalent of the zombie is the unthinking, unfeeling bio-organic terror i.e. Aliens, Tyranids, Zerg, Pitch Black, and so on. It's a macguffin, an external pressure to make the survivors break their regular social codes and heighten dramatic tension.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I guess that makes sense, it's just that it seems that zombies in particular are used to tell these stories when any number of other things would work. Maybe they've just become iconic.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Page- wrote: »
    I guess that makes sense, it's just that it seems that zombies in particular are used to tell these stories when any number of other things would work. Maybe they've just become iconic.

I think zombies represent a loss of control/what makes us "human". Without that spark, we are essentially animals running around without order. Zombies are us, with no soul, no morals, no laws, no society. I think that's where the fear/fascination comes in. They are that deep, primal side within us that we are afraid of. The story of humans vs zombies is one of humans restoring order, regaining humanity.

I think with things such as monsters, it's a different kind of fear. It goes back to our caveman days of "what's in this dark cave, will it kill me" type of thinking.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wouldn't the zombie's stomach burst? Do they even swallow it, you'd think that a very messy undead eater with base primal instincts (that don't involve eating properly) would spill most of it.

And wouldn't the explosion destroy the already deteriorating torso? (I'm not saying a Hollywood-explosion, I'm saying just a small burst 'cause of all the foor in the stomach)

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd assume the sheer pressure of all that man-meat just pushes it out the other end. Ick.

See, I'd go for a zombie movie where they show all that stuff.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    If zombies eat brains, doesn't that mean that zombie attacks will never create more zombies?

Don't forget that in the 1st return of the living dead, blows to the brain didn't stop 'em.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd assume the sheer pressure of all that man-meat just pushes it out the other end. Ick.

D:D:D:

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Or a zombie movie that doesn't suck. Which was the last one? Flight of the Living Dead? Yech.

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zombies are cool because they provide an opportunity for ordinary people to kill and maim other, until-recently ordinary people. I imagine those of us in the retail sector would relish an opportunity to go on a shooting spree without repercussions in the event their customers were to become the living dead.

TL DR on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zombies are cool because they provide an opportunity for ordinary people to kill and maim other, until-recently ordinary people. I imagine those of us in the retail sector would relish an opportunity to go on a shooting spree without repercussions in the event their customers were to become the living dead.

Now there's a question. If it turns out that zombies are curable either due to finding an antidote or eliminating their source, are you morally obligated not to kill any of them or can you continue to blast away?

jothki on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How do you cure a zombie if half their arm is gone, or their guts are dragging in the mud behind them, or whatnot? Just put them out of their misery.

In summary, blast long, blast hard, blast often.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zombie Survival planning is fun because you get to fantasize about an apocalyptic event without it being a downer, it's total fantasy. Thinking about nuclear winter, global fuxxoring, or whatever else that's actually remotely possible is fucking depressing.

As for zombies eating, I just assumed they threw it up soon after.

Davor on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Davor wrote: »
    Zombie Survival planning is fun because you get to fantasize about an apocalyptic event without it being a downer, it's total fantasy. Thinking about nuclear winter, global fuxxoring, or whatever else that's actually remotely possible is fucking depressing.

I always assumed they just rip and tear the flesh. No swallowing, just bite the flesh, rip it off and spread the disease. The continual attacking after the first bite is to kill the victim quicker to create the zombie that much faster.

Veevee on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I've never seen a movie show a zombie actually swallowing the meat.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The zombies in the Romero films seem to be eating the flesh, in that it's not being spit out, and it's not falling out of their mouths.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In summary, blast long, blast hard, blast often.

I'm sure there's a sexual joke in there.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    OceaniaxOceaniax Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Davor wrote: »

I always assumed they just rip and tear the flesh. No swallowing, just bite the flesh, rip it off and spread the disease. The continual attacking after the first bite is to kill the victim quicker to create the zombie that much faster.

I recall a passage in WWZ that stated that although zombies don't possess a working digestive system, all the flesh they ingested would eventually make it "through", whole pretty much. They were discussing how WWZ zombies technically don't have any odor to speak of, sans a slight decomposition odor and the smell of rotting flesh in their undergarments....

Oceaniax on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A fireball fell from the sky and slammed into southern Peru over the weekend, creating a huge crater that emitted a sickeningly smelly gas, local authorities said. More than 600 villagers fell ill, the Peruvian radio network RPP reported Tuesday.

Link

This could be the beginning if NotLD is an indication.

Start boarding things up now.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Holy crap. Wild Zero time! Love has no borders, nationalities, or genders!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    According to the Zombie Survival Guide, zombies just keep eating and eating, even after their stomach bursts. My question is, if a bite will turn a person into a zombie, then why do zombies eat people? Shouldn't they just bite them to make sure their species survives? And furthermore, wouldn't a zombie apocalypse be impossible?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    hardxcore_conservativehardxcore_conservative Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And furthermore, wouldn't a zombie apocalypse be impossible?

That depends on what you mean.

Interpreting that literally, yes, a zombie apocalypse would be impossible because zombies don't exist.

Reading into that somewhat, it depends on how zombies reproduce. If you go with a plague zombie scenario—a la 28 Days Later—then maybe, as the threat could be isolated and contained. (Very easily, too, with shamblers.) If you go with a voodoo zombie scenario, a la the George Romero films, then no, as anyone who dies of any reason rises as the walking dead.

hardxcore_conservative on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Interpreting that literally, yes, a zombie apocalypse would be impossible because zombies don't exist.

Reading into that somewhat, it depends on how zombies reproduce. If you go with a plague zombie scenario—a la 28 Days Later—then maybe, as the threat could be isolated and contained. (Very easily, too, with shamblers.) If you go with a voodoo zombie scenario, a la the George Romero films, then no, as anyone who dies of any reason rises as the walking dead.

Did you hear about that meteorite that hit in Peru and like 600 people all got the same symptoms at the same time? My first thought was potential zombies...:P

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Did you hear about that meteorite that hit in Peru and like 600 people all got the same symptoms at the same time? My first thought was potential zombies...:P

That was my 2nd thought. My first was The Color From Outer Space.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Peruvian Disease: Not Zombies, but Arsenic Tainted Water.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/09/070921-meteor-peru.html

Disappointing.

Houn on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, your definition of "disappointing" needs a lot of work.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, your definition of "disappointing" needs a lot of work.

What, like you weren't secretly rooting for Peruvian Space Zombies. ;-)

Houn on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No, I wasn't. I watched a bit of Shaun of the Dead again this weekend, and it reminded me that zombies are a terrifying menace, no matter how funny you try to make the situation.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DividerDivider Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I for one would welcome my zombie ex-brothers and them blast them back to hell.

Divider on
    Luigi doesn't care about black Lumas! - TehBlueBlur ( 11/16/2007 )
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    http://www.urbandead.com/

A great time waster.

Doc on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is that an actual game or just alot of text? I mean I love reading at all but I cannot be entertained by that type of game.

EDIT:

Nevermind. Another good concept ruined D:

At least for me.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Is that an actual game or just alot of text? I mean I love reading at all but I cannot be entertained by that type of game.

It's a game. Over time you get action points. You can spend the points to fight or move around or whatever.

Doc on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Meh. I'd rather it be something where you can see your character and the city and all of that. Maybe in pretty flash animation to entertain me. I liek shiny things.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Urban Dead was big on G&T until the updates made it overwhelmingly in favor of zombies.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Urban Dead was big on G&T until the updates made it overwhelmingly in favor of zombies.

nevar forget

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]