Options

The Zombie Apocalypse Speculation Thread

• Options
    spidahspidah Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You should be able to be a zombie until you kill enough people, then you're "Reborn," or something. Zombie Apocalypse is a Buddhist game, apparently.

spidah on
  • Options
    TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Perhaps as you grow in zombie power, you would be able to recruit and control larger swarms of zombies, upgrade them into runners, leapers, mutated dog-zombies..

All this potential game is missing is hitler riding a t-rex on the surface of the sun; and shiny textures.

Tostitos on
    The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    spidah wrote: »
    You should be able to be a zombie until you kill enough people, then you're "Reborn," or something. Zombie Apocalypse is a Buddhist game, apparently.

You mean a Hindu game?

Don't know if anyone has seen this btw, but it is really funny.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoXgRtDysLY

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    For a Zombie MMo to work, you would need a few things:

A good conversion mechanic. It shouldnt be stupidly easy for zombies to take over humans, and it should be somewaht hard to kill a zombie (so being a zombie doesnt get too boring).

Zombies would have to have a way to come back from the dead. This could be done by several means, but I like the idea of having the human "cure" them some how (could work multiple ways: religion, medicine, etc)

The entire city "restarts" after one side has "won". Winning would mean the zombies had killed all, or close to all of the population of human. Lets say the game keeps track of how long you stayed alive, what you did to stay alive, who you helped, and this determines your starting position/situation next restart. Example: Say during the last game, you were one of the few humans who survived even though the zombies "won" You get to start from a position of zombie fanatic, and have things barricaded/food/weapons/etc. If you did piss poor last round you either get to be a sucky human, or a low level zombie.

ronzo on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We should stop talking about this amazing game that will never be played.

Unless one of you has a high position in an important gaming company. Just nod. . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    One day...maybe...D:

You know what would be cool for a Zombie MMO? Way for people to create their own maps. Imagine fighting the horde with your buddies in your own hometown. "Awesome" is not a big enough word to describe how freaking awesome it would be. :mrgreen:

And I don't think conventional human weapons would become boring if you had enough options regarding what you can use. Imagine that you are playing a game in small city map and dozen zombies are behind you. You run like a madman to the closest open door, which happens to be an entrance to a library. There are two zombies there, but they have just killed a player and ignore you while they are devouring him (would not be hard to code this kind of mechanism I think) and they see no reason to attack you while they have food right in front of them. Sadly, the dozen zombies behind you are hungry as hell.

You run up the stairs, and when the zombies follow you, you bring down one of the large shelves on them and crush a few of them...but not enough. Then you grab one of the computer screens and crush the skull of the closest zombie to you while it tries to rip your throat out. You throw the broken screen at the remaining zombies after you but you miss.

You then grab a tray full of books with wheels under it and send it towards the zombies and two of them fall. Its going to take a long time for them to get up, and you have one left that comes for you. You grab a heavy book from the shelves and crush the last zombie's head with it.

Basically, a Dead Rising-esque weapon system where evevery object can be used to kill zombies.

Not simply guns and swords.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    PicoPico Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    unfortunately you'd run into people who would crap their pants because you'd be providing a "training ground" for some idiot to shoot up your hometown. Kinda like that 13yr. old Chinese kid in Texas that was arrested because he made a CS map of his school.

Pico on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The ability for quotation, is the absence of original thought."
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I completely forgot me and my friends had made this at one point: http://youtube.com/watch?v=F8eZElCWMXM

Damnit, I plan to be READY.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pico wrote: »
    unfortunately you'd run into people who would crap their pants because you'd be providing a "training ground" for some idiot to shoot up your hometown. Kinda like that 13yr. old Chinese kid in Texas that was arrested because he made a CS map of his school.

True...but its not really against the law, is it?

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pico wrote: »

True...but its not really against the law, is it?

To be honest - this is probably only a possibility in the States...
    So, the rest of us can have fun.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So about 0200 hrs last night I was in 7-11 talking to one of the employees there. The subject of a zombie apocalypse came up and we began to discuss plans (really awesome conversation I might add). Anyway since baltimore is the pinnacle of peace and well being (baltimore is one of the most dangerous towns in the US). There were lots of police strolling in and out and we began to discuss which ones would buckle and go nuts under the pressure of the ZA and the ones that would handle business. So I was wondering after all was said and done I began to wonder what does a person need to survive the ZA? More specific what abilities will come in handy. What do u guys think?

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So about 0200 hrs last night I was in 7-11 talking to one of the employees there. The subject of a zombie apocalypse came up and we began to discuss plans (really awesome conversation I might add). Anyway since baltimore is the pinnacle of peace and well being (baltimore is one of the most dangerous towns in the US). There were lots of police strolling in and out and we began to discuss which ones would buckle and go nuts under the pressure of the ZA and the ones that would handle business. So I was wondering after all was said and done I began to wonder what does a person need to survive the ZA? More specific what abilities will come in handy. What do u guys think?

Just back track a few pages. It has been reiterated again and again. The main sticking point is to melee or not to melee followed by fortification vs isolation.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Just back track a few pages. It has been reiterated again and again. The main sticking point is to melee or not to melee followed by fortification vs isolation.

No I think its a valid line of discussion.
    Things like outdoorsmanship could become pretty important. You'd be pretty surprised how useless the average person is these days. Lighting a fire, getting food, making shelter etc. with failing society, what do you do when you tear a gash in your trousers?

Looting and foraging might only be short-term solutions as it becomes necissary to avoid settlements.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DulinDulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When ever me and my roomies get on the subject of the zombie apocalypse the plan we got figured out is drive to the nearest car dealership and steal the biggest SUV possible, attempt to acquire guns, and enough food to last a boat trip to get to the coast, and if possible Bermuda. If not attempt to acquire food...make it to a island where you can grow food and or catch fish and keep zombies away from and live out the rest of the zombie years on the beach.

Dulin on
    dulin.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dulin wrote: »
    When ever me and my roomies get on the subject of the zombie apocalypse the plan we got figured out is drive to the nearest car dealership and steal the biggest SUV possible, attempt to acquire guns, and enough food to last a boat trip to get to the coast, and if possible Bermuda. If not attempt to acquire food...make it to a island where you can grow food and or catch fish and keep zombies away from and live out the rest of the zombie years on the beach.

And what about zombies that wash up on the beach? In the event of an undead/Shambler style apocalypse, a little water won't hurt them. In fact, this is a predominant theme in "World War Z": the millions of people who were infected and died trying to leave the mainland end up either wandering the ocean floor or floating about and washing up on the world's beaches constantly, making no coast safe.

Houn on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Useful Skills:

Survival (as mentioned lighting a fire, building a shelter, being alone in the wilderness)
    Hunting/Fishing
    Farming
    First Aid
    Communications/Engineering

My in-laws have about 80 acres that we camp on occasionally, and just for fun I like to build a fire using only materials I can find in nature. I cheat and use a lighter, but you'd be surprised at how hard it can be, depending on the conditions. It can take a good 30-60 minutes out of your day to have to scrounge for tinder, kindling, and fuel big enough to last through the night.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just got out of my Cognitive Psychology class wherein the lecture was on consciousness. The professor kicks off the lecture with a discussion about zombies: specifically that they function biologically but can not be said to be truly conscious of their actions. He then asked the class if anyone knew how to kill a zombie.

I was, for some reason, the only one who answered. It was probably the best day of that class so far.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Houn wrote: »
    Dulin wrote: »

And what about zombies that wash up on the beach? In the event of an undead/Shambler style apocalypse, a little water won't hurt them. In fact, this is a predominant theme in "World War Z": the millions of people who were infected and died trying to leave the mainland end up either wandering the ocean floor or floating about and washing up on the world's beaches constantly, making no coast safe.

I still think it would be easier defending against zombies on an island vs on the main land where the number of zombies you could end up facing would be crazy, plus the jerk people who are left behind but not zombies, plus the people who will go crazy and become dangerous.

Either that or a bunker like the ones they sell on e-bay every now and then.

As for a zombie MMO, as long as groups of players could taker over some of the random towns and set up there own bases of operation. And there is a skill tree dedicated to taking old cars, trucks, etc, etc, and adding weapons for attacking and defense. And the game has to be full PvP because thats just sweet.

Dulin on
    dulin.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just finished reading World War Z thanks to recommendations from this thread. I still don't understand the South African plan for dealing with a global threat. Consolidate your resources and military into one safe area and a percentage of your population for labor. Slowly expand the borders of that safe zone. You can't save everyone so leave the bulk of your civilian population behind to act as a speed bump for the undead.

OK, I can agree with this - get the best and brightest and head for a bomb shelter until it becomes safe again. What I don't get is how are you supposed to keep your speed bumps from overrunning your big ass bomb shelter? You can promise them regular supplies through air drops but what's keeping this panicky large population from gravitating to where the military is? I'd think there would be massive pilgrimages to the west coast, (living) people banging on the fences wanting in the safe zone. Didn't the author watch that Simpsons episode where everyone wants in Flanders' bomb shelter when the meteor was coming to Springfield?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did anyone ever cover why the military can't just annihilate the zombies? Or at least be able to defend against them?

Because I think they could do so,

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They're not trained for it. Tactics like "shock and awe" or demoralization won't work. Ripping into them with high-powered assault rifles is inefficient and dumb. Bombs could work but could also just blow bits of zombies all over the place and then things get that much harder. You would need precision attacks, i.e. retrain a shitload of infantrymen as snipers.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    They're not trained for it. Tactics like "shock and awe" or demoralization won't work. Ripping into them with high-powered assault rifles is inefficient and dumb. Bombs could work but could also just blow bits of zombies all over the place and then things get that much harder. You would need precision attacks, i.e. retrain a shitload of infantrymen as snipers.

I dont know nowww... a gatling gun firing from a helicopter would leave a nice red splotch where a couple hundred zombies were just standing.

Dulin on
    dulin.jpg
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As long as it would fire so very many bullets that it could literally shred, an entire crowd of zombies, every one of them. I definitely think the military would handle a shambler zombie outbreak better than in that book though.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    gunships, helicopters, napalm, tanks and armored vehicles and snipers on the rooftops and bulldozers should make short work of any shambler zombie outbreak

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »
    gunships, helicopters, napalm, tanks and armored vehicles and snipers on the rooftops and bulldozers should make short work of any shambler zombie outbreak

Only if said attacks destroy the brain. Combined with an army of potentially millions that have no need to rest, regroup, etc, it's about being as efficient as possible, else you'll run out of ammo/troops. Every Bullet Counts.

Are you going to waste rounds while your gunships spray rounds into the crowd at random? Zack don't care if he's shot in the chest, the arm. Same with fire - Zack keeps on walking and crawling at you while burning. Tanks? They're designed to blow through vehicles and static defenses, not crowds of shamblers. Dozers? What if they get caught in the treads? What if it gets stuck, Zack crawls all over it?

Your best weapons are the ones that completely incinerate anything in the blast radius, combined with a well-trained infantry shooting for the brain with a measured and confident pace.

Houn on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tanks have been modified with both flamethrowers and automatic weapons before. I'm just saying that if the military adopts new zombie strategies, they could probably contain and eventually end the threat all in good time.

Lives will be lost, but against shamblers I don't think there is a problem.

Runners, though, is just a whole different ballgame.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    As long as it would fire so very many bullets that it could literally shred, an entire crowd of zombies, every one of them. I definitely think the military would handle a shambler zombie outbreak better than in that book though.

The thing about the Yonkers battle in WWZ was that it wasn't just a battle against the zombies, it was also supposed to be a boost in the morale of the general public. If I remember right, it was mentioned that there was nearly 1 reporter for every 2 soldiers at the battle. At that time in the US, nearly every citizen was panicing, ready to kill their neighbor if they so much as looked at them wrong. The military went in not to stop a zombie horde, but to stop a horde while showing how big and tough and bad ass they were.

A gatling gun a gunship would be effective ONLY if you could hit the heads of the zombies. You shred the middle portion and all of the sudden you created a group of crawlers that can be even harder to notice than a shambler. And with the bombs, what would happen if a zombie somehow got blown up in such a way that the head and neck and shoulders and arms were left intact. It would crawl its way to the nearest food source and the fear of seeing something like that in person will set in for the soldier that walks up to it. A modern soldier is not conditioned to see something get shot 50 times and not even blink, or get blown up and have chunks fall off without seeing even the slightest bit of pain.

The zombies have the greatest weapon of all, fear. We fear them, but they can not fear us. No matter how many bombs we drop, no matter how many we kill, they can not fear us. And if in the early stages a soldier happens to shoot the head, but the zombie doesn't fall down and keeps coming (a ricochet or grazed shot instead of penetrating the head) and starts a panic that some can't die chaos can and very well may break out.

I'm not saying the military wont be able to handle zombies, but I am saying their current military strategy and training will not work. Soldiers are trained (I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong) to shoot the center of mass and not the head. It can be very hard for people to get rid of that kind of conditioning.

Veevee on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Shock and awe and demoralization are strategies, not tactics.

Most of modern military practice on the tactical level is obsessed with not being shot. And in that regard, shamblers would be a piece of cake. You don't need to worry about suppressing fire, or use of cover. Your guys don't need to wear body armor; you can use the weight to carry more ammunition, or just give them that much more mobility. They can drive around in pick up trucks, it's not like zombies will be wiring up mortar rounds.

You don't need to be a sniper to hit a zombie in the head at a hundred yards, especially if you get a couple shots to do it, which you do, because they're walking towards you.

Let's never mind that most of the training and skill involved in being a "sniper" is stealth and reconnaissance, which, if you'll recall from earlier in the class, are not necessary for zombies. What you really mean is something like the current designated marksman role, which is little more than an accurate rifleman with an accurate rifle.

And I hate to say it, but "high-powered assault rifle" is a weasel term. An assault rifle by definition fires an underpowered rifle round, in order to allow controlled automatic fire.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    And I hate to say it, but "high-powered assault rifle" is a weasel term. An assault rifle by definition fires an underpowered rifle round, in order to allow controlled automatic fire.

Not picking on you, but I have to say this.

Anyone in a zombie world carrying an automatic weapon and using it as an automatic weapon is a god damn idiot. Zack is in no hurry to get to you, so you should be in no hurry to shoot him in the head. Line that shot up, make sure your accurate and then fire. As was said, a steady rythmic shot is best. Even a 3 round burst would be a waste as those 2 extra bullets could have killed zack to the left and right of the one you aimed at.

Save the autmoatic weapons for the people that don't welcome you during the reclaimation process.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know, i say you make the zombie pretty useless if all you leave is just the head and upper body, so it only can crawl with it's hands.

Not only do you greatly reduce it's speed, you can easily finish it off later, espcially if your fighting in a battle.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »
    I don't know, i say you make the zombie pretty useless if all you leave is just the head and upper body, so it only can crawl with it's hands.

Not only do you greatly reduce it's speed, you can easily finish it off later, espcially if your fighting in a battle.

Two concepts for you:

1. In the heat of battle, you're looking straight ahead and aiming at zombie heads; not looking down.
    2. Tall Grass.

Houn on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

Two concepts for you:

1. In the heat of battle, you're looking straight ahead and aiming at zombie heads; not looking down.
    2. Tall Grass.

One concept:

1. When fighting from a prepared position you take a position--preferably elevated--with a clearance of 500 meters or so in circumference around it along with range-markers for dialing in optics. This is your killzone.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    060720.jpg

While looking through the archive this came up. I thought of you guys <3. Please save me from the zombies.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Two concepts for you:

2. Tall Grass.

1. If your shooting from afar or a high elevated area does it really matter? Or you can just wear heavy leather boots and thick pants.

2. Don't go fighting zombies in tall grass then?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Two concepts for you:

2. Tall Grass.

1. If your shooting from afar or a high elevated area does it really matter? Or you can just wear heavy leather boots and thick pants.

2. Don't go fighting zombies in tall grass then?

1. So you're shooting from afar, and create a bunch of crawlers. Presumably they will crawl to you, but if they don't and end up crawling in a direction not expected you have no way of tracking them. At this point you then have to be careful of walking zacks and crawling zacks when securing the area as you can't just sit in one spot and say the area is clear, you have to go in and investigate.

2. When fighting in certain locations, like on the american prairie, you have nothing but tall grass for miles around.
    arod_77 wrote:
    One concept:

1. When fighting from a prepared position you take a position--preferably elevated--with a clearance of 500 meters or so in circumference around it along with range-markers for dialing in optics. This is your killzone.

If the military is setting up range markers, theres a good chance they probably aren't using bombs or automatic weapons that will cut a zombie in half creating a crawler. At that point they know to aim for the head and shoot in a slow and steady pace.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Honestly how fast do you think a zombie can get if all it can use are it's arms, add in the fact that it's a shambler zombie?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Why are we planning for shamblers? Nobody even uses them in movies anymore because they're too easy. It's pointless, they don't pose a threat.

Shamblers = Easy

Runners = Hard

Prepare for for the hard one, not the easy.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Why are we planning for shamblers? Nobody even uses them in movies anymore because they're too easy. It's pointless, they don't pose a threat.

Shamblers = Easy

Runners = Hard

Prepare for for the hard one, not the easy.

But I don't like the hard one, I would probably most likely die.

I can always hide in my highly undetectable crawl space which would only prolong my death since I would eventually starve.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Veevee wrote: »

1. So you're shooting from afar, and create a bunch of crawlers. Presumably they will crawl to you, but if they don't and end up crawling in a direction not expected you have no way of tracking them. At this point you then have to be careful of walking zacks and crawling zacks when securing the area as you can't just sit in one spot and say the area is clear, you have to go in and investigate.

2. When fighting in certain locations, like on the american prairie, you have nothing but tall grass for miles around.

Miles of tall grass you say? I could imagine about a dozen spread out incendiary grenades, hell maybe a dozen molotov cocktails chucked out of a chopper would do well against miles of tall grass.

Also, some Assault rifles do have a thing called single shot.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, let's light half the US on fire. That seems like a brilliant plan.

SniperGuy on