As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP: It's Out!

syndalissyndalis Getting ClassyOn the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
fftpsp3.jpg
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
fftpsp4.jpg

fftpsp.jpg

Due to be released in just one week, this is the game many PSP owners have been waiting for some time to get their hands on.

What is Final Fantasy Tactics anyways?
Wikipedia wrote:
Final Fantasy Tactics (ファイナルファンタジータクティクス, Fainaru Fantajī Takutikusu) is a tactical role-playing game developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) for the Sony PlayStation video game console. The game is set in the kingdom of Ivalice during a period of war. The story follows Ramza Beoulve, a young cadet who finds himself thrust into the middle of the conflict.[2] The game combines thematic elements of the Final Fantasy video game series with a game engine and battle system unlike anything previously seen in the franchise. In stark contrast to other 32-bit era Final Fantasy titles, Final Fantasy Tactics uses a 3D, isometric, rotatable playing field, with bitmap sprite characters.[3]
A spinoff was created in 2003, called Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the Nintendo Game Boy Advance, and in 2006, a stand-alone title called Final Fantasy XII was released for the Sony PlayStation 2. All three games take place in a fictional land of Ivalice. An enhanced remake of Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions, was announced as part of Square Enix's new Ivalice Alliance project.[4]

The story takes place in the fictional kingdom of Ivalice, a country where castles and forts are the stronghold of nobles, the church is a powerful religio-political entity, and warring factions remain in the struggle for dominance over the land. Ivalice had just ended its Fifty Year's War with neighboring country Ordalia, and is facing economic problems and political strife. Adding to its problems is the recent death of the king, whose heir is only an infant. A regent is needed to rule in place of the prince, and the kingdom is split between the Black Lion and the White Lion; two noble factions that seek to rule Ivalice. The conflict leads to what is known in the game as the Lion War.
Behind this backdrop is a revelation done by the game's fictional historian Alazlam J. Durai, who seeks to reveal the story of an unknown character whose role in the Lion War was major but was covered up by the kingdom's church. The setting is based around this character, named by default as Ramza, and revolves around his early life and the future conflicts he faced while the events that changed the kingdom unfolds.

Basically, it is a very well polished Strategy RPG, with an amazing plot and a fanbase that goes well beyond loyal.

Okay, so it sounds kinda neat... but I played it ten years ago. Why the fuck would I buy this game again?

Funny you should ask. Aside from it simply being awesome because it is portable FFT, they didn't simply rest on said laurels, and made a few compelling reasons to buy into the game.

First and foremost, the entire script has been retranslated, by the same team who did the amazing work on Final Fantasy 12. The plot was amazing despite the poor translation from before, but this retranslation can only be a good thing as far as I am concerned. Supposedly fan favorite lines have been left untouched, but the level of improvement in the flow of conversation and the clarity of the events is going to be very noticable.

Also, the pivotal cutscenes in the game, once left to being in-engine, have been turned into BEAUTIFULLY hand drawn movies with good voice acting, that maintain the art style of the original product. They are a treat to watch... but don't take MY word for it, see for yourself.

fftpsp2.jpg
Click the Image to see this in motion

Also, new classes, plot elements, and a multiplayer mode that allows you to face off against other people's parties rounds off a great portable package.

So yeah... I am pumped for this one, and I know I cannot be alone. Who here is getting this gem on the 9th?

SW-4158-3990-6116
Let's play Mario Kart or something...
syndalis on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've reserved mine, and I don't even own the system(yet).

Expect the number of PSP owners here to double, if not triple, in seven days.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Holy shit, I just watched that video. WOW, awesome.

I always said I'd have to get a PSP for this game... now it's really true!

Captain K on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Holy shit, I just watched that video. WOW, awesome.

I always said I'd have to get a PSP for this game... now it's really true!
    The videos have blown me away as well. It is an absolutely AWESOME way to do storytelling in the setting of FFT that is very different from the format of cutscene I have grown accustomed to from SE.

I am so glad I bought the Daxter pack a couple weeks ago.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's like... it's like the original cutscene I remember, except you don't have to give the atrocious translation and goofy in-game "cinematics" the benefit of the doubt. Amazing!

Captain K on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, I've heard that this version of the game has, quoth Wikipedia, "decreased audio quality."

Does anyone know what this means? I don't want it if the music sounds bad. I'm not able to watch the videos right now.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    AWESOME! I've been waiting a long time for this one. With this and then Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness later this month, I'm actually going to get some use out of my PSP.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    spectraspectra Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This month is like the best time ever to be a PSP owner.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
    Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow

and THIS!

I've always wanted to play this because I missed out on it during the PSX days, and now I can get an uber awesome version!

spectra on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    So, I've heard that this version of the game has, quoth Wikipedia, "decreased audio quality."

Does anyone know what this means? I don't want it if the music sounds bad. I'm not able to watch the videos right now.
    The cutscenes sound awesome... and the ingame, while being SLIGHTLY tinny (it could be the game, it could be the flv), it sounds perfectly fine, with familiar sound effects and anthems and whatnot.

http://media.psp.ign.com/media/869/869380/vids_1.html

Here are some ingame vids.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    EnwolfEnwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    man that box art is sexy.

Enwolf on
  • Options
    DukhatDukhat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Game looks awesome ... except for NO INFRASTRUCTURE MULTIPLAYER. Being in the PSP's supposedly core audience of young adult males, asking me to find another person with a PSP to play multiplayer blows. I'm hoping that someone hacks this is or something because this game would be a perfect 10 with online.

Dukhat on
    Holla!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dukhat wrote: »
    Game looks awesome ... except for NO INFRASTRUCTURE MULTIPLAYER. Being in the PSP's supposedly core audience of young adult males, asking me to find another person with a PSP to play multiplayer blows. I'm hoping that someone hacks this is or something because this game would be a perfect 10 with online.
    O RLY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTYhgxxo2w

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Such a great game and I've always found SRPGs to be great for portable systems.

khain on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm trying to wait for christmas to get a psp and this but I'm not sure I'm gonna make it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They still look a bit goofy, what with the total lack of a nose, but otherwise, damn. Slick looking. I'm surprised too, that was like a scene-for-scene recreation from the original. Kinda sad there was no "Blame yourself or God" bit, but what can ya do.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Enwolf wrote: »

Then you might like this

fftwolkq8.th.jpg

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Enwolf wrote: »

Then you might like this

fftwolkq8.th.jpg
    :^:

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is my cue to purchase my second PSP. My old one got dusty before it was sold. I shall have ownership of this new "Slim" PSP and an FFT to go, post haste.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Damn it, I was holding strong in my "Don't think about FFT and you won't buy a PSP" stance but you had to go and make this thread...

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Damn it, I was holding strong in my "Don't think about FFT and you won't buy a PSP" stance but you had to go and make this thread...
    Join us..... JOIN USSSSSSS

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i bought a psp on sunday, primarily because of this.

disgaea, and warhammer 40k: squad command being the rest of the draw.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    Join us..... JOIN USSSSSSS

No, must not listen...must hold strong....
    i bought a psp on sunday, primarily because of this.

disgaea,

ARGGH, fuck, I'd suppressed the existence of the Disgaea game and now you bring it up?
    and warhammer 40k: squad command being the rest of the draw.

What? What's that? That sounds really interesting...

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    phixphix Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    Uh-oh. I'm already swimming in a $3000 credit card debt. This won't help things one bit. Nope, not one bit.

A ceramic white PSP and FFT... mmm. I've never played the original FFT either. This way I won't have to hunt down a copy on eBay for $80.

phix on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    phix wrote: »
    Uh-oh. I'm already swimming in a $3000 credit card debt. This won't help things one bit. Nope, not one bit.

A ceramic white PSP and FFT... mmm. I've never played the original FFT either. This way I won't have to hunt down a copy on eBay for $80.
    You have never played it before?

Now you MUST buy a psp. Really, it's my favorite SRPG ever. It's just so damn flexible and rewarding.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    phixphix Registered User new member
    edited October 2007

Now you MUST buy a psp. Really, it's my favorite SRPG ever. It's just so damn flexible and rewarding.

I actually bought FFTA a while back. I think when it first came out actually.

I ended up selling it along side my copy of Golden Sun. I regret it to this day. I really miss FFTA. :(

Oh well... I better start saving up $200+ for a PSP and who knows how much for FFT.

phix on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I ended up selling it along side my copy of Golden Sun. I regret it to this day. I really miss FFTA. :(

Oh well... I better start saving up $200+ for a PSP and who knows how much for FFT.
    And just so you know, MOST people consider FFTA a pale shadow of the awesome that was FFT, in most part due to the toned down "children's book" story that the game came with, and the weird assed Judge rules.

FFT suffers from neither, and is a better game for it.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And the job system glitch was fun to exploit, too :-x

I'm so glad I found a PSP that some kid left at my job and took it home around the Easter holidays. FFT, here I come again 8-)

Goose! on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

FFT is much much MUCH better than FFTA, and this is coming from someone who put well over 100 hours into FFTA. The job system is much more flexible and you don't end up hating the main character.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's coming out next week in the US? Huzzah! It's being released here (and in all PAL territories) on friday. I can't wait.

Also, anyone that picks up FFT should also pick up Jeanne d'Arc. Another fantastic SRPG.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    All my dicks, etc.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That cut scene movie is simply amazing.

I don't own a PSP but I will shure as hell buy this game.

Then I'll think about getting a PSP... but I loathe the UMD and that fucking analog clitoris they call a joystick...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am far, far from a PSP (or even DS or Gameboy or N'Gage or ...well, pretty much anything but a Game Gear) expert, but my interest is piqued (ever since I never really beat FFT in the 4th chapter due to saving at an inopportune time, if I remember correctly). However, my one question would be: is there some connection from a PSP to a standard TV that exists? Maybe use it like a tiny PSX or something? :D

I tend to not need portable gaming systems, and I'm not really a fan of having a sore neck, but if something like that were playable on a normal TV, well, that could be money well spent.

...Then again, I should probably just start a new game of FFT on my PSX, since it's one of the few games where the storyline now eludes my memory.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I am far, far from a PSP (or even DS or Gameboy or N'Gage or ...well, pretty much anything but a Game Gear) expert, but my interest is piqued (ever since I never really beat FFT in the 4th chapter due to saving at an inopportune time, if I remember correctly). However, my one question would be: is there some connection from a PSP to a standard TV that exists? Maybe use it like a tiny PSX or something? :D

I tend to not need portable gaming systems, and I'm not really a fan of having a sore neck, but if something like that were playable on a normal TV, well, that could be money well spent.

...Then again, I should probably just start a new game of FFT on my PSX, since it's one of the few games where the storyline now eludes my memory.
    The PSP lite (er...redesigned PSP) can output composite, componant or S-Video if you get the right cables for it, so....

Yes.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

The PSP lite (er...redesigned PSP) can output composite, componant or S-Video if you get the right cables for it, so....

Yes.

It should be mentioned that you can only output games on a 480p tv (or better). Music and video are the only things that'll work on a SDTV.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    BTW there are reports that the slowdown present from the JPN versions is still present in the EU/US releases of the game. I've seen the videos of said slowdown before, and it really, really isn't pretty at all. Like, imagine FPS lag when doing ANYTHING else other than basic physical attacks. (Basically anything involving animation)

Yes I know Wikipedia claims it's been fixed but with only one citation and with a hell lot of complaining over at GameFAQs it seems kind of likely the game still has this issue.

And yes I know we all hate GameFAQs but when there are multiple complaints about the issue by different users it does get one thinking.

I'll wait and see, but if this is actually true, I may very well just pass on this since I already have Jeanne D' Arc for SRPG fixes. Just thought people here might want to know.

sonictk on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fuck.

I swear I will buy a PSP and this the moment I can, but I have a feeling that will be somewhere around February. Student loans and credit cards and founding an LLC have a way of getting in the...way. But I love FFT so hard.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Well, if you're a DS owner and you enjoyed FFTA, remember FFTA2 is hitting DS soon.

Just a lot of people prefer the Tactics series to the Tactics Advance series.

As far as the title in question for this topic goes, I already have this game courtesy of the lovely chaps at Square and it is fantastic.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    sonictk wrote: »
    BTW there are reports that the slowdown present from the JPN versions is still present in the EU/US releases of the game. I've seen the videos of said slowdown before, and it really, really isn't pretty at all. Like, imagine FPS lag when doing ANYTHING else other than basic physical attacks. (Basically anything involving animation)

Yes I know Wikipedia claims it's been fixed but with only one citation and with a hell lot of complaining over at GameFAQs it seems kind of likely the game still has this issue.

And yes I know we all hate GameFAQs but when there are multiple complaints about the issue by different users it does get one thinking.

I'll wait and see, but if this is actually true, I may very well just pass on this since I already have Jeanne D' Arc for SRPG fixes. Just thought people here might want to know.

It was actually 1UP that first reported that they'd improved the slowdown but they never said it had completely been removed. Here is the direct quote:
    The Japanese version of the game sold respectably in May, but it suffered from a number of notable shortcomings. The most frustrating was the constant slowdown that plagued the battles; seemingly every small action caused the PSP to stutter briefly, and many visual effects (particularly those from magic spells) caused the game speed to slow to a crawl. The U.S. edition of the game doesn't completely smooth over these issues, but they've been dramatically reduced; now the technical issues are about on par with the minor slowdown exhibited in the PS1 release and are no longer distracting.

So no, GameFAQs members continuing to be retarded is not going to get me thinking. Instead, it gets me depressed.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The slowdown is improved but still noticable if you're a really into watching for that kind of thing. It's just less noticable and less "my god, that's terrible" when it does happen.

At the end of the day, it's a handheld. It's passable, it's sound. Just not perfect. Then again, neither was the PS1 release.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    sonictk wrote: »

It was actually 1UP that first reported that they'd improved the slowdown but they never said it had completely been removed. Here is the direct quote:
    The Japanese version of the game sold respectably in May, but it suffered from a number of notable shortcomings. The most frustrating was the constant slowdown that plagued the battles; seemingly every small action caused the PSP to stutter briefly, and many visual effects (particularly those from magic spells) caused the game speed to slow to a crawl. The U.S. edition of the game doesn't completely smooth over these issues, but they've been dramatically reduced; now the technical issues are about on par with the minor slowdown exhibited in the PS1 release and are no longer distracting.

So no, GameFAQs members continuing to be retarded is not going to get me thinking. Instead, it gets me depressed.

God DAMN!

How they fuck can they fuck up something like this?

Getting a 5 year old game NOT to run at a rock solid 30fps...

(Actually, ANY console game which doesn't run at a rock solid 30fps is disqualified in my book, because come the fuck on, the hardware spec is LOCKED so you should bloody well know where to set the bar.)

Unless I can get to play this myself and see the slow-down (or lack of) I'm not touching this game, nor the PSP.

(I cradle my original PS1 FFT fondly.)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is the PS1 version on the list of "supported by PSP official emulator" games?

Glal on