As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hobbit + P. Jackson = Awesomness!

ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Link: /www.heraldnet.com/article/20071218/NEWS02/690029768

Story: Jackson to direct 'Rings' prequel 'The Hobbit'

By Jake Coyle
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Bilbo lives!

After publicly feuding for more than a year, "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned two-film prequel to the blockbuster trilogy.

Jackson, who directed "Rings," will serve as executive producer for two "Hobbit" pictures. They will tell the story of how the young hobbit Bilbo Baggins originally came to possess the nefarious One Ring that Frodo, his adopted son, needed three films to dispose of.

A director for the films has yet to be named. Production is tentatively set to begin in 2009 with a release planned for 2010, and the sequel following in 2011.

Relations between Jackson and New Line soured after "Rings" despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion. Jackson shepherded Tolkien's Middle-Earth saga to a combined 17 Academy Awards including best picture for 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." The trilogy also includes 2002's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

Late last year, acrimony between the 46-year-old Jackson and New Line became very public, with the studio announcing they would move forward with "The Hobbit" without him. Jackson sued New Line over the amount he was paid -- including DVD payments -- for "The Fellowship of the Ring," the first installment of the trilogy.

"The low point was when we both started getting a little too personal about this whole thing," said New Line co-chairman and co-CEO Bob Shaye on Tuesday. "From my own perspective, I realized that I shouldn't be so thin-skinned about everything that goes on in my professional life."

Jackson's suit, the two sides announced Tuesday, has been settled. The terms of the settlement weren't announced, though Shaye cheerfully said: "One of the key terms was we all shake hands with each other."

In his statement, Jackson thanked Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) Chairman and CEO Harry Sloan for helping him and New Line "find the common ground necessary to continue that journey."

New Line, which is owned by Time Warner Inc., holds the rights to produce "The Hobbit," while MGM, which is owned by a consortium including Sony Corp. and Comcast Corp., has the right to distribute it. The two studios will split financing and distribution costs, with New Line handling distribution in North America and MGM distributing internationally.

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made all at once. Shaye and Sloan both said it was Jackson's idea to divide the story, adapted from Tolkien's first book about Middle Earth (which was about half the length of any from the trilogy that followed).

The film's production schedule is subject to how long the writers strike lasts, which some forecast could continue for many months. There isn't currently a script for either "Hobbit" film, and producers will be unable to even approach writers until the strike is over.

"If the writers strike drags on, then everything can change in terms of the time table," Sloan said Tuesday.

Sloan added that some patience has been necessary for making "The Hobbit" happen: "We've always taken the position that we wanted Peter to be involved in this project, but it's taken some time to work out the differences."

Jackson, who directed "King Kong" after finishing the trilogy, is currently finishing shooting for "The Lovely Bones," based on Alice Sebold's novel.

The three "Lord of the Rings" films rank among the 25 most lucrative films of all time, made more financially successful by the risky strategy of shooting all three together. The production budget for the trilogy has been estimated at around $300 million.

Tolkien's fantasy epic has been a cultural juggernaut since its publication in the 1950s, inspiring everything from the ubiquitous "Frodo Lives!" graffiti in the '60s and '70s to the Dungeons and Dragons phenomenon of the '80s. With the franchise now considered one of the most bankable projects in Hollywood, the "Hobbit" films will be expected to match the blockbuster success of "Rings."

/discuss

Zahaladeen on

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Jackson you greedy fuck.

Still this will be good. But why two films?

Medopine on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Woo! I was hoping that they'd stop all their fightin' and a' feudin' and just let Jackson work on the Hobbit, though I'm disappointed to see that he's a producer and not signed on as the actual director

edit: also, Boo to the splitting it up thing

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Jackson you greedy fuck.

Still this will be good. But why two films?

I read the Hobbit years ago... anyone recently give it a pass and does it deserve a 2-part treatment?

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Seconded. We don't need two Hobbit films.

Hachface on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    2 films to cover the Hobbit? Damn, I must need to re-read it because I didn't think it'd take 6 hours to reinact. Regardless, yay and so forth. It's just too bad that The Silmarillion won't be able to get over the studio hump.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Silmarillion would take like, five films. It would be awesome to take some of those stories and make them into a mini series, though.

Medopine on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Huh, I wonder where they'll be splitting it in half. It's been a long time since I've read it. I think I gave it to my little brother a few years ago.

Organichu on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    But why two films?

Seriously.

I've always really liked The Hobbit cartoon, and that was 78 minutes long. If you cut out the singing parts, you could even put Beorn back in there. I don't see any reason why 2 movies would be necessary to tell the story.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Let me echo the cries of "2 films? What the fuck? And he's not directing this... why?"

I guess Andy Serkis will be getting a little more work, though.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Silmarillion would take like, five films. It would be awesome to take some of those stories and make them into a mini series, though.

God, thinking about how they would even attempt to do the exposition on that is mind-boggling.

Gim on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Actually, what I've heard is that they're filiming The Hobbit and a second movie drawn from Tolkein's copious notes that will bridge the gap from the prequel to Fellowship.

Tolkein was pretty notorious for having scads of unpublished information about Middle Earth, because he was a linguist, not a novellist, and he needed that extra history for linguistic context.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    2 films to cover the Hobbit? Damn, I must need to re-read it because I didn't think it'd take 6 hours to reinact. Regardless, yay and so forth. It's just too bad that The Silmarillion won't be able to get over the studio hump.
    The Silmarillion isn't movie material.

At all.

At all.

Certain exceprts of the Sil--Turin (although that isn't movie material for a host of other reasons), Beren and Luthien, maybe. But the Sil would fail miserably as a movie.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gim wrote: »

God, thinking about how they would even attempt to do the exposition on that is mind-boggling.

Just say fuck it and jump right in. Tell a different story each week.

Hey, us nerds would like it.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Two movies makes no sense, other than to grind extra money out of people. Really, the trilogy for LOTR I can understand, as it's a damn long book, but the Hobbit isn't.

The Silmarillion would make one sweet mini-series.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    The Silmarillion isn't movie material.

At all.

At all.

Certain exceprts of the Sil--Turin (although that isn't movie material for a host of other reasons), Beren and Luthien, maybe. But the Sil would fail miserably as a movie.

Which is why it would never make the hump, but it'd be an awesome documentary-ish film.

moniker on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zahaladeen wrote: »
    two-film prequel
    screams
    you greedy fuck.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Actually, what I've heard is that they're filiming The Hobbit and a second movie drawn from Tolkein's copious notes that will bridge the gap from the prequel to Fellowship.

Link and/or tell me more of this. Tell me intimately, lovingly, beautifully. Tell me that someone subtle and generous will write it. Tell me someone masterful and delicate will direct it. Tell me someone grand and brilliant will decorate it. Tell me someone magical and unconventional will shoot it. Tell me that fine actors will be used throughout. Tell me it will make sense, that it will not betray my eagerness.

Tell me these many things I wish to believe!

Gim on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Hobbit will/has made the transition to film much better than LOTR, but I agree that two films aren't needed. And I'm not in favour of putting any of Tolkien's unfinished notes to the screen.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Silmarillion as a mini-series...

Truth be told, I was never able to get through it. The idea delights me, but there are so many people and places and names, it's overwhelming.

If someone could break down how many possible storylines there are in that monster and how many hour-long installments they guess it would take each one to tell, I would be quite interested.

Gim on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Because two movies will gross twice as much as one?

I think the studio just wants to make shittons of money and damn the source material.

If I had to guess, they'll fill in Gandalf's backstory when he heads off and show him mucking around Dol Guldur and confronting the Necromancer. They might even add in more adventure sections just for the heck of it.

Also, you need to find a way around the Deus Ex Machinima to end all DEMs: the magical Black Arrow shot by a third-tier supporting character introduced only a few dozen pages earlier.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Link and/or tell me more of this. Tell me intimately, lovingly, beautifully. Tell me that someone subtle and generous will write it. Tell me someone masterful and delicate will direct it. Tell me someone grand and brilliant will decorate it. Tell me someone magical and unconventional will shoot it. Tell me that fine actors will be used throughout. Tell me it will make sense, that it will not betray my eagerness.

Tell me these many things I wish to believe!

Here's what little I've got:

The Hobbit Movie Blog says that:
    ...the second film will be influenced by the foundation of "The Silmarillion" and "The History of Middle-earth Series" (which is a 12 part series of books where JRR's son, Christopher Tolkien analyses JRR's old manuscripts; the manuscripts that ultimately led to become "The Silmarillion", "Lord of the Rings" and "Númenor" which is sort of like Atlantis). The second movie will ultimately lead us up to creation of The Fellowship in a graceful and logical fashion..."

Ain't It Cool News claims:
    The second project is believed to be a bridge between THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy - culled from the titanic amount of periphery/ancillary/notated material found in Tolkien's works.

Hope that helps. I also hope it's true.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Because two movies will gross twice as much as one?

I think the studio just wants to make shittons of money and damn the source material.

If I had to guess, they'll fill in Gandalf's backstory when he heads off and show him mucking around Dol Guldur and confronting the Necromancer. They might even add in more adventure sections just for the heck of it.

Also, you need to find a way around the Deus Ex Machinima to end all DEMs: the magical Black Arrow shot by a third-tier supporting character introduced only a few dozen pages earlier.

Not as nearly as Deus Ex Machina as the Force.

moniker on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The second project is believed to be a bridge between THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy - culled from the titanic amount of periphery/ancillary/notated material found in Tolkien's works.
    Really? Because not much of interest occurs in the meantime.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I wonder if they'll shoehorn Tom Bombadil in there.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Draco: Thanks. But Elendil has a point, not a whole lot happens. Not unless they're planning to make a huge ol' sweeping movie about all sorts of random stuff in which the aftermath of The Hobbit is at the very end. But man, I do not think that could be done well in a single movie.

Gim on
  • Options
    EvylEvyl Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They could be doing something similar to Return of the King that would pad the movie out enough that they need 2 movies. In the books, the charge of the Rohirrim(sp?) at the Battle of the Pelenor Fields was one paragraph. In the movie it was pretty long.

So while it's been a while since I read the Hobbit, I'm hoping the splitting into two movies will be because they want to flesh the story out a bit more in some areas.

I've been wrong before though :p

Evyl on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was some disheartened to hear that Jackson and his crew wouldn't get to work on The Hobbit. As much as I hated how he wanted to change events in LOTR in ways that made so sense, he made quality film and had lots of detail. I want The Hobbit to share as many similarities between LOTR movies as possible so it feels connected if one watched them all back-to-back.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There's no film-worthy way of approaching the Silmarillion short of some sort of narrative documentary format, but I'd sure watch a movie version of the Beren and Lúthien story.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Really? Because not much of interest occurs in the meantime.

I haven't read the Christopher Tolkein books, but there's a lot of interesting backstory. They could go into Aragorn during his Strider days, for example, or Dain's disasterous expedition back to Moria.

You're right that there's not a lot of Hobbit stuff that I can think of, but there is stuff that happened.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    There's no film-worthy way of approaching the Silmarillion short of some sort of narrative documentary format, but I'd sure watch a movie version of the Beren and Lúthien story.

I don't know how you would write it, but I think a telling of the story of the Silmarils and all that would be rad.

Medopine on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    A faux documentary of some of the events in The Silmarillion would be the best thing ever.

Like we could have Elrond narrate it, or hell, Saruman, student of the past that he was.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The second movie could well be just the bigass fucking battle of Five Armies all at once.

what was that, four pages of the book?

Greeper on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hope with Jackson as just producer it cuts down on the seemly random changes from the source material that he made after the first movie.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wonder if they'll shoehorn Tom Bombadil in there.

If they do, I'll forgive Peter Jackson. I'm still mad at him for not showing him in the LoTR movies.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I hope with Jackson as just producer it cuts down on the seemly random changes from the source material that he made after the first movie.

Smaug, the dragon with a heart of gold (or a chest of gems, I suppose)!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought Jackson was executive-producing it, not directing it?

Anyway, I think The Hobbit is the best book in the LoTR series... but it definitely doesn't need two full-length movies. It's shorter than the other three books, which only got one movie each. I hope he doesn't drag everything out.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wonder whether they'll stick to the original tone or try to make things 'darker'.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So much hatred for the movies after the fact.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Has there been confimation that Weta will be doing the special effects?

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Actually, I wonder which version of Gollum and the ring they'll use. I suppose it depends on whose POV the story is being told from.

Gim on