As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hobbit + P. Jackson = Awesomness!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty cool with Jackson working on the Hobbit.

I am not remotely cool with the idea of him making a second movie that bridges the gap between The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings. He already likes to change too much stuff adapting straight from the books.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Actually, I wonder which version of Gollum and the ring they'll use. I suppose it depends on whose POV the story is being told from.
    They'll definitely use the later edition, if that's what you mean, where Bilbo finds the ring.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Regardless of Jackson's treatment of the source material regarding the movie's plot, I think it's nigh-impossible to argue with the look of the movie trilogy. WETA Workshop did a brilliant job breathing the intangible, almost unvoiceable essence of Middle-Earth into the costumes, the props, the sets, and even the choreography in the action sequences.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Actually, I wonder which version of Gollum and the ring they'll use. I suppose it depends on whose POV the story is being told from.
    They'll definitely use the later edition, if that's what you mean, where Bilbo finds the ring.

I assume that they will, but it would be interesting to mess around with that concept.

Gim on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Harrier wrote: »
    Regardless of Jackson's treatment of the source material regarding the movie's plot, I think it's nigh-impossible to argue with the look of the movie trilogy. WETA Workshop did a brilliant job breathing the intangible, almost unvoiceable essence of Middle-Earth into the costumes, the props, the sets, and even the choreography in the action sequences.
    Except Orlando Bloom.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    And the Ghost Army in the last movie was done terribly.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A two film treatment of the Hobbit could be done. If I had to say how, I'd make the first part the trip to Lake Town, then the second part would be the adventures in the Lonely Mountain and the Battle of the Five Armies. That way we would end up with a pretty neat road trip film - and a war + dragons film.

The first film would end with Smaug attacking Lake Town

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Wait.

Bilbo tricks Gollum out of the ring with a shitty riddle.

There is another version of this?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I thought they were fucking awesome.

Until the last few minutes of the battle, where they pretty much just turned into a giant killer wave.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Until the last few minutes of the battle, where they pretty much just turned into a giant killer wave.

Yeah, that's what completely killed them for me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not a fan with how he dealt with most of the battle of Pelennor Field.

Except for the charge of the Rohirrim. God that was fucking rad.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Elendil wrote: »

Yeah, that charge was amazing. But the more I think about it, the more I remember how things were off during that fight. Like neglecting to mention why Eowyn could actually kill the witch king (hint: it's not cause she has boobies).

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Yeah, that charge was amazing. But the more I think about it, the more I remember how things were off during that fight. Like neglecting to mention why Eowyn could actually kill the witch king (hint: it's not cause she has boobies).
    If you're talking about the way Merry stabbed the Witchking with his Barrow-blade, it's really a both-and situation.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

With the lack of the book explanation, I pretty much chalked it up to the witch king just being a really arrogant, slightly superhuman asshole, and just as susceptible to face-stabbings as anyone else.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It was totally Merry.

Edit: Damnation.

Elendil on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

I prefer it the way they did it rather than getting all nitpicky about it.

Who fucking cares, it was god damn awesome.

Medopine on
  • Options
    waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Wait.

No he finds the ring and then tricks Gollum out of the ring with "what do I have in my pocket", it's only then Gollum realizes what went on.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Wait.

In the original versions of the story, Biblo successfully won the riddle game and they parted amicably. After LoTR was published, Tolkien went back and had his publishers change it. I think Gandalf discussed the difference in Fellowship of the Ring (the book), about how Bilbo had told people that he had won it fairly but it actually happened differently. I can't quite remember.

Gim on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought they were fucking awesome.

I don't like that they were neon green. Why couldn't they just have been spectral gray?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Wait.

No he finds the ring and then tricks Gollum out of the ring with "what do I have in my pocket", it's only then Gollum realizes what went on.

Okay, that sounds right.

What's this other version?

edit: huh, i think i prefer it where gollum is cheated. makes more sense for the later hatred

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Wait.

In the original versions of the story, Biblo successfully won the riddle game and they parted amicably. After LoTR was published, Tolkien went back and had his publishers change it. I think Gandalf discussed the difference in Fellowship of the Ring (the book), about how Bilbo had told people that he had won it fairly but it actually happened differently. I can't quite remember.
    Bilbo changed his story slightly to make his possession of the Ring look more legitimate.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I assume that they will, but it would be interesting to mess around with that concept.

Five bucks says they'll do the the "true" way in the film, but show Bilbo telling the fake story to Gandalf; then in the second film they'll show Gandalf wheedling the truth out of him.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This makes me miss the LOTR hot topic forum soooo much.

<3

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In response to a few folks' comments, it looks like Jackson is probably exec producing rather than directing the Hobbit movies because he's signed on to direct one of a trilogy of Tintin movies (Steven Spielberg is directing another, and Andy Serkis is apparently up for the role of Captain Haddock).

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    In response to a few folks' comments, it looks like Jackson is probably exec producing rather than directing the Hobbit movies because he's signed on to direct one of a trilogy of Tintin movies (Steven Spielberg is directing another, and Andy Serkis is apparently up for the role of Captain Haddock).
    THIS

THIS RIGHT HERE

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME

Harrier on
  • Options
    ConvaelConvael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I just read an article quoting Jackson as saying it would be impossible for him to direct the films due to his current projects. TheOneRing.net, the "official" fansite of the movies has a bunch of links up including one saying that Jackson might direct the second film slated for 2011, but I don't see how that would be possible since they're both being filmed together. At least as executive producer he still oversees everything and gets to pick what director he wants and it'll be him, Fran, and Philippa working on the script again. I think it's crazy to think that Weta wouldn't do the special effects considering they're enormous now and big name directors (James Cameron and Spielberg) are going to the Weta team for their own films. Plus Jackson kind of founded the entire company... I'm really looking forward to seeing Ian McKellen reprising his role of Gandalf and Andy Serkis doing Gollum again. If you think about it, even if Jackson isn't behind the camera with the amount of power he has over the whole production you probably won't notice that it's a different director. Keep in mind that the original LOTR films were split up into as many as 3 different teams shooting at the same time. Jackson wasn't able to direct everything but the amount of work that was put in to plan the whole thing out made it so it was as if he was the guy behind the camera. The amount of detail and work that made the first 3 films so great will still be there.

Convael on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Jackson you greedy fuck.

Still this will be good. But why two films?

I agree it's stupid, but the answer is (I suspect) very obvious.
    What makes more $$$ than one top grossing film...?

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Wait.

Okay, that sounds right.

What's this other version?

edit: huh, i think i prefer it where gollum is cheated. makes more sense for the later hatred

Ok. /cracks nuckles

Lemme put on my nerd hat here.

Alright. When the Hobbit was originally written, long before LOTR, it had nothing to do with LOTR. In that original edition, Bilbo wins the contest the same way, but Golum isn't so bad a guy and just hands the ring over, Bilbo leaves, etc. Works fine in the context of just the Hobbit.

Now, LATER, Tolkien decide to that as he's writing this fancy new thing (that would in the end become LOTR), he wants to incorporate The Hobbit into that universe. There's one little problem, and that problem is Golum. He's not that nice a guy in LOTR. SO Tolkien decide to rewrite that section of the book, to make Golum's character consistent between LOTR and The Hobbit. And that's the book probably 99% of us have read.

He then explains this away, in universe, by saying Bilbo originally wrote it that he got the ring legitimately in a contest and that the owner just gave it away. This made Bilbo's possession of the ring seem more legitimate. Gandalf eventually gets the truth out of him, when he begins to suspect what the ring actually is, and Frodo does a little edit on The Red Book to put the truth in there (at least, I'm pretty sure it was Frodo). Anyway, that's the in universe explanation for the discrepancy.

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

shryke on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    At least he made an actual in-universe excuse for the retcon. It's pretty cool, actually.

Snork on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

WHAT

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh damn, Tintin. I only saw the second TV series growing up, but I remember being extremely impressed by them. Glad am I.

Gim on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    my favorite part of the rotk book, and it's just a line or two, is the desperation felt when it appears that enemy ships are on approaching, but it turns out it's aragorn and whatnot. they ripped this drama from the movie so hard!

not to mention all the other obvious stuff, this really bugged me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Have they released which Tintin stories are to be made into films?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Wait.

It wasn't an intentional trick; He was talking to himself, then realized that Gollum thought it was the next riddle and decided to go along with it.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    my favorite part of the rotk book, and it's just a line or two, is the desperation felt when it appears that enemy ships are on approaching, but it turns out it's aragorn and whatnot. they ripped this drama from the movie so hard!

not to mention all the other obvious stuff, this really bugged me.
    it wasn't even desperation so much as resignation to defeat, iirc

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's been really long since I saw Return of the King, but didn't they show how Gollum lost the ring in it, i.e to Bilbo?

Sam on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Sam wrote: »
    It's been really long since I saw Return of the King, but didn't they show how Gollum lost the ring in it, i.e to Bilbo?

Nope, they show how he comes by it in the first place.

Murderer they called us! They cursed us, and drove us away!

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    In the intro to Fellowship, they show Bilbo stumbling across it and then Gollum yelling that he had lost it. That's about it. I don't even think they ever referenced in any of the movies how it was specifically obtained.

Gim on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I see no reason whatsoever they would use the old version of the Gollum encounter for this movie, considering they already showed Bilbo stumble across the ring in FotR. That scene actually changed it again though because he actually notices it, in the book he picks it up subconsciously which is why he later asks himself what's in his pocket. So either they'll have to retcon what they showed in FotR, or rework the scene somehow.

Zek on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hope they make it more of a children's movie. Go for PG rather than PG-13. The book was more of a children's book when compared to LOTR and I hope they stay true to that.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png