As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hobbit + P. Jackson = Awesomness!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    The first movie was just better overall, really.

Well yeah. I always come out of FOTR wanting to see the whole thing, and come out of the other 2 not wanting to see any of them for a long time.

shryke on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I get the feeling that after Jackson bitched enough about not getting a big enough cut of the LOTR profits, the New Line folks cut a deal and said "Hey, put your name on these two cash-in flicks we are going to make, and you can get a cut of the profit without actually doing any work."

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    :whistle:
    Did you ever know that you're my hero,
    and everything I would like to be?
    I can fly higher than an eagle,
    for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Gim on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Did you ever know that you're my hero,
    and everything I would like to be?
    I can fly higher than an eagle,
    for you are the wind beneath my wings.

That could be the end credit song for The Hobbit.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've heard it hypothesized that Bombadil might actually be Adam, or whatever version of him would exist in Middle-Earth. Perhaps not merely the first man, but the first of all the folk in Middle-Earth.

The underlying Christian elements woven into LOTR shouldn't be overlooked, after all.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Harrier wrote: »
    I've heard it hypothesized that Bombadil might actually be Adam, or whatever version of him would exist in Middle-Earth. Perhaps not merely the first man, but the first of all the folk in Middle-Earth.

The underlying Christian elements woven into LOTR shouldn't be overlooked, after all.
    There are so many more non-Christian elements than there are Christian ones, though.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Uh, that doesn't fit with the Silmarillion at all.

And yeah, way more norse elements than anything else.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't wait for 13 characters to be reduced to comic relief, it'll be great.

Seriously tho I'm looking forward to this a lot more than LOTR.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As an aside, the Wiki article on Tom Bombadil has some comments Tolkien made on him in his letters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bombadil#Concept_and_creation

I'm all sorts of excited about The Hobbit, and all sorts of terrified about The Other Movie.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »

Reduced to?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Reduced to?

Yes? Like Gimli in LOTR, get it?

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Reduced to?

Several of them are already comic relief.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Reduced to?

Several of them are already comic relief.

Yeah, but hopefully Thorin can do a couple spit takes and put his helmet on backwards a few times.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Reduced to?

Most of them are already comic relief.

Seriously, the NUMBER of them is used for comedic effect, as are their names. There's only that many because it's funny and lets him throw out a bunch of silly names.

shryke on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Cate Blanchett is hot.

No. She looks like an anorexic 14 year old boy.

And even if she were hot, it's not as if you see her in TT. You just hear her retarded low voice give an incredibly vague summing up of information that Faramir and pal tell you again straight after (or before), but with the added benefit of being an actual scene.

It's bad filmmaking on many levels, drawing you out of immediate events, repeating exposition needlessly, and making you want to rip your own ears off.

And god, people like that stupid glowy thing she does in Fellowship? It's one of the most ridiculous, heavy-handed piece of shit effects I've ever seen.

Fuck Cate Blanchett. She ruined Life Aquatic.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Tolkein said straight out that Gandalf is not Jesus. Tom doesn't really fit Adam's profile...

Anyways, the end credit song should be obvious:
    The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
    Today and tomorrow are yet to be said.
    The chances, the changes are all yours to make.
    The mold of your life is in your hands to break.

The greatest adventure is there if you're bold.
    Let go of the moment that life makes you hold.
    To measure the meaning can make you delay;
    It's time you stop thinking and wasting the day.

The man who's a dreamer and never takes leave
    Who thinks of a world that is just make-believe
    Will never know passion, will never know pain.
    Who sits by the window will one day see rain.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cate Blanchett is hot.

And even if she were hot, it's not as if you see her in TT. You just hear her retarded low voice give an incredibly vague summing up of information that Faramir and pal tell you again straight after (or before), but with the added benefit of being an actual scene.

It's bad filmmaking on many levels, drawing you out of immediate events, repeating exposition needlessly, and making you want to rip your own ears off.

And god, people like that stupid glowy thing she does in Fellowship? It's one of the most ridiculous, heavy-handed piece of shit effects I've ever seen.

Gonna have to disagree 100% with you on this post.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Tolkein said straight out that Gandalf is not Jesus. Tom doesn't really fit Adam's profile...

Anyways, the end credit song should be obvious:

The greatest adventure is there if you're bold.
    Let go of the moment that life makes you hold.
    To measure the meaning can make you delay;
    It's time you stop thinking and wasting the day.

The man who's a dreamer and never takes leave
    Who thinks of a world that is just make-believe
    Will never know passion, will never know pain.
    Who sits by the window will one day see rain.

Only if sung by Glen Yarbough

iguanacus on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, "Underlying christian elements in LOTR"? That is like saying the Lion King is an analogy for german nazism, with those dirty long-nosed hyenas forced to live in a boneyard ghetto that then break free thanks to the evil traitor and corrupt the lands and enslave the proud aryan lions...

...oh wait...

...So, how about that Tom Bombadil? I hated him for some unknown reason when I first read the books when I was little, but since then I have realised how awesome he is. Was he even in Bilbo?

Vic on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah, that doesn't work at all with the Sil's creation account.

And yes, there definitely are Christian elements in Tolkien. Intentionally so. They aren't particularly heavy-handed though, and, as mentioned, Tolkien drew from other sources besides.

Elendil on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vic wrote: »
    ...So, how about that Tom Bombadil? I hated him for some unknown reason when I first read the books when I was little, but since then I have realised how awesome he is. Was he even in Bilbo?

Something tells me he and Bilbo never engaged in intercourse.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »

:lol:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Could someone tell me some more about Sauron? I have not read the books, so I only know that he is a bad guy with a bad guy army.

Some background on him would be nice

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »

:lol:

I beg to differ:
    in·ter·course
    –noun
    1. dealings or communication between individuals, groups, countries, etc.
    2. interchange of thoughts, feelings, etc.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Cate Blanchett is hot.

Can you point to the doll where Cate Blanchett touched you?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Yeah, that doesn't work at all with the Sil's creation account.

And yes, there definitely are Christian elements in Tolkien. Intentionally so. They aren't particularly heavy-handed though, and, as mentioned, Tolkien drew from other sources besides.

I like how the 'religion' of Middle Earth is Christian and Norse/Greek/poly etc at the same time. From a broad picture, Eru is God and the Valar are archangels and the Maiar are lesser angels/demons...but then when you look at the Valar specifically they follow the Pantheon of gods model.

@Zzulu: Sauron is a Maiar, one of the tough ones, basically an angel/demon sort of thing. He was the right-hand man of Morgoth, a Valar who was basically the Lucifer/Loki/etc of the Pantheon. Hated the world and wanted to own it and/or destroy it kinda thing. Back in the first or second age Morgoth was defeated by the other Valar but Sauron escaped, and eventually set himself up to finish Morgoth's work.

Scooter on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, "Underlying christian elements in LOTR"? That is like saying the Lion King is an analogy for german nazism, with those dirty long-nosed hyenas forced to live in a boneyard ghetto that then break free thanks to the evil traitor and corrupt the lands and enslave the proud aryan lions...

...oh wait...

I always thought that The Lion King was a retelling of Hamlet.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Could someone tell me some more about Sauron? I have not read the books, so I only know that he is a bad guy with a bad guy army.

Some background on him would be nice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron

Everything you could ever want to know, and then some.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

...oh wait...

Actually the Hyena/evil lion song was officially based on Hitler's speeches and Nazi marches, so if anything, they'd be the aryan masters.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I always thought that Hamlet was Shakespeare's metaphor for how Hitler usurped control of Germany from rightious men. The poison was a metaphor for Hitler's rhetoric seeping into the body of the German people. Hamlet represented Tom Cruise as Valkyrie and Horatio was Rommel, the Desert Fox.

Ophelia represented the oppressed Jews, homosexuals, and gypsies, and Fortinbras is the Americans coming to save the day! Shakespeare managed to pierce the veil of 340 years and write a scathing send-up of European regional politics and war in the mid-20th century.

By this standard, it's obvious that Lord of the Rings was based on the Bible.

Alternatively, we could look at each work on their own merits.

Okay, I'll stop being an ass now.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Cate Blanchett is hot.

:winky:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I always thought The Bible was a retelling of Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Now that you mention it, Samuel L. Jackson does remind me of the prophet Ezekiel.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I always thought that Hamlet was Shakespeare's metaphor for how Hitler usurped control of Germany from rightious men. The poison was a metaphor for Hitler's rhetoric seeping into the body of the German people. Hamlet represented Tom Cruise as Valkyrie and Horatio was Rommel, the Desert Fox.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the time line of events go something like

Creation -> Shakespeare (Hamlet) -> WW2 (Hitler) -> Lion King?

How is Shakespeare writing about the Hitler that never existed yet?
    Drez wrote:

Unless we're talking about backwards land like Drez here.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tolkien said many times that he strongly disliked allegory.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Trenog your irony detector might be slightly off.

jot on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Tolkien said many times that he strongly disliked allegory.

Wasn't that his whole beef with CS Lewis? The whole Christian allegory thing?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tolkien didn't like how Lewis simply plonked Santa Claus into Narnia without a thought to the cultural history of the place. Tolkien would write an epic backstory for Santa, if he included him.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Trenog wrote: »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the time line of events go something like

Creation -> Shakespeare (Hamlet) -> WW2 (Hitler) -> Lion King?

How is Shakespeare writing about the Hitler that never existed yet?
    Drez wrote:

Unless we're talking about backwards land like Drez here.

Did I forget to mention how Shakespeare was a powerful oracle? I don't think I did...

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Æthelred wrote: »
    Tolkien didn't like how Lewis simply plonked Santa Claus into Narnia without a thought to the cultural history of the place. Tolkien would write an epic backstory for Santa, if he included him.

Tolkien was so right about that.

EDIT: In fairness to Lewis I guess it's possible that when he wrote Narnia the concept of a self-contained fantasy universe wasn't as common in literature, and the rules and expectations of the genre weren't quite so well-established. But now that they are (largely thanks to Tolkien) having Santa just show up in your fictional realm seems incredibly lame.

darthmix on