As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post-Hardcore Bands

• Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Scary Kids Scarrin' Kids (again, the OP might dig this a lot, kind of on the Emo side, but still)
    Nrthstar, do you know if these guys put out a new CD? I have their first one and it's amazing.

They put out a self titled cd this year I think back in March when they were on tour with Emery. Oh yeah, post core, try some Emery, although the single from the new cd I heard kinda sucked. The real emo stuff really isn't my thing.
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I saw Poison the Well at some show a while back, after...You Come Before You came out. They played a set of new songs off of You Come Before You, and the crowd was mildly active. Then they said "Hey, we're gonna play some oldies" and everyone starts whistling and screaming. The lead singer gives a nervous laugh and plays "Nerdy" during which the crowd goes wild. It had been a bunch of younger kids dancing and moshing before, then the older dudes came out and started wrecking.
    Well after that someone shouted "PLAY SOME MORE OLD STUFF", the crowd started screaming and whistling after that. Then the lead singer goes "Hey, fuck you guys" and walks off stage. Apparently he has a history of lashing out at the crowd. One time I heard that during an interview he said "If they can't appreciate our new material, then fuck them, I don't want them as fans".

That shit happens. I just saw them on the Maylene/ETID/PTW tour and they played at least 3 songs off every cd, and naturally nerdy was included. The old guys wrecked the youngin's, which was good to see, cause the headliner was underoath, and those kids needed some sense.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    MatthasnopantsMatthasnopants Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If we're all recommending some metalcore/hardcore stuff too then let me add these bands:
    Bury Your Dead- hardcore, very mosh
    Circle Takes the Square- Kind of screamo but with some variation
    Comeback Kid (particularly the newest album)- very solid hardcore
    Genghis Tron- weird metal with a lot of noise and keyboards but awesome
    Hot Cross (RIP)- Hard to describe, just really good
    Life in Your Way- Melodic Hardcore, they're Christian and it shows which I personally don't have a problem with but it's worth taking into account
    Modern Life is War- More progressive hardcore
    Misery Signals- one of the best metalcore bands around now
    Shai Hulud- awesome progressive hardcore, they do a great cover of NOFX's Linoleum

Matthasnopants on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It would suck playing the same songs for ten years.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    Jawbox became the Burning Airlines who put out two really good albums. The latter album has a cover of a Metroschifter song, another post hardcore band that's pretty decent. Also, Shudder To Think is really decent too. I assume you're not too interested in the screamo direction because you haven't mentioned At The Drive In.
    Wait, you saying a track on Identikit was a cover of another band? I knew they did Back of Love by Echo and the Bunnymen.

The trick for this is that post-hardcore skirts screamo dangerously close, and unfortunately for me, screamo is a bonerkill.

Dear Heather is actually a Metroschifter song. There's a comp called Metroschifter Encapsulated where bands cover Metroschifter songs and you'll find Burning Airlines doing Dear Heather on that too, but it's a rather different version than the one that ended up on Identikit.

I think you'll find most of the bands who ended up on that comp to be worth investigating.

When I typed this I meant to type Dear Hillary

I SWEAR I wasn't listening to Leonard Cohen

...today, yet.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    pwb2103pwb2103 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I really cannot believe that I am sitting here on a penny arcade forum seeing bands like hopesfall and poison the well be brought up. OOOLD school. Shouldn't One King Down have been mentioned by now? Coalesce?

And Juliana Theory? Well if they are getting brought up then someone had better say:
    Boy Sets Fire- After The Eulogy

They were more consistent back in the day, but they still manage to slip a good song or two in on each new album.

Its such a giant pain in the ass trying to find new good hardcore these days. I just started checking out The Damascus Intervention and Beneath The Sky. I haven't listened to either band enough yet to give a full endorsement, but there might be potential. Maybe. By the time I realized how great Rifles at Recess are they had already split up... sucks...I'm just so tired of bands like Haste The Day who are making a living ripping off all the ideas of bands before them. I'm afraid that Still Remains borders on that category in my mind too.

Yeah, I remember American Nightmare, they had some damn intensity at shows, but I never actually checked out their recorded stuff.

Anyway, I was planning to see Protest The Hero in February in NYC, everytime I listen to them I think "Man I gotta see them do this live!" but now I'm having second thoughts if they can't pull it off live... I've heard Dragonforce has trouble pulling their songs off live too... I can't say I'm a real Dragonforce fan, they are just too ridiculous... but man that video for operation ground and pound? I don't even know what to say... its so.... something... I just can't even believe it. anyone follow me?

has this thread been hijacked? Well someone should speak up if they are pissed about it. I don't think I even know what post-hardcore is

pwb2103 on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just want to second a few other suggestions, and revel in the late 90's early 2000's :)

Boy Sets Fire if you can get a hold of "This Crying, This Screaming..." you won't be disappointed.

American Nightmare were awesome, they changed their name to American Nothing due to some shady legal crap later on. They are the band that Fall Out Boy stole lyrics from.

Hot Cross is the band that formed out of Saetia's ashes. I can't keep hyping Saetia enough, really. Off Minor was also one of these bands.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Human Abstract may be a little too metal (for the OP), but if you want to talk intricate, this is the band for you.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    HermusHermus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not sure if they fit extremely well here or not , but I have started listening to Mastodon a decent bit lately, as well as a band called Baroness. They are both good, and I would highly recommend checking them out, especially Baroness.

Hermus on
  • Options
    SkavengerSkavenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh man, some excellent music recommendations in this thread.

I'll follow up seconding and add in a few myself

Refused - Any of their albums, really, though "The Shape of Punk to Come" is my favorite, too much awesomeness to fit into one post about them

Alexisonfire - I'd recommend starting with "Watch Out!" even though the self-titled is amazingly kickass too (.44 caliber love letter & Pulmonary Archery *<3*)

Dillinger Escape Plan - "Miss Machine" I'd start with this as it's easily their most accessible, though don't get me wrong, when it comes to craziness "Under the Running Board" rocks just as much (plus it's got Mike Patton, woooo creepy)

Rufio - Anything of theirs. Combines the best of talented Emo singers and thrash metal guitars. (Seriously, it's almost like dragonforce minus the awesome/ridiculous singing)

Minus the Bear - "Menos El Orso" Might be a bit too much on the lighter / prog side like mentioned earlier, but everything about them is just so amazingly catchy and perfect.

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster - YES YES YES!!!! I'll gladly take Lynyrd Skynyrd mixed with my hardcore, thank you!

The Hope Conspiracy - "Endnote" approx. 28 minutes of shear dancehall hardcore brutality and energy. Really, this has been one of my favorite cd's for a long time, short, sweet, and amazingly catchy. Not the most complicated or technically amazing cd, but still great none the less.

Guns Up! - "Outlive" same vein as Hope Conspiracy. Great energetic danceable hardcore.

These Arms are Snakes - "Oxeneers or The Lion Sleeps When Its Antelopes go Home" Very post-hardcore and not as pretentious as the title would make you think. Very wierd yet intersting stuff.

Modern Life is War- "Witness" Fairly traditional hardcore, but amazing lyrics.

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Intricate, perhaps too artsy? definitely not hardcore though. On the edge about adding these guys to the list as much as I love them

Skavenger on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Skavenger wrote: »
    Maylene and the Sons of Disaster - YES YES YES!!!! I'll gladly take Lynyrd Skynyrd mixed with my hardcore, thank you!

I've played a show with these guys, not only are they good, they're all totally nice. Much nicer than some of the other 'big' acts who let stardom go to their head.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Circle Takes the Square....

Fuck yeah for some epic shit.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    CoalCoal Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There is just not enough At The Drive-In love in this thread. Relationship of Command is probably one of the best albums I have ever heard. OP, go buy it. Now.

Now.

Coal on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    American Nightmare were awesome, they changed their name to American Nothing due to some shady legal crap later on. They are the band that Fall Out Boy stole lyrics from.

So close. Back in the 90's there were 2 American Nightmares, although if you ask any of my friends there was only ever one. Unfortunately, the one that mattered didn't come up with the name first. So our boys (you were right about this) changed their name to AN, then American Nothing. Then they became Give Up the Ghost. I said I hope somebody catches me on it cause I had GUTG in my first post and AN in my second. I actually didn't even realize what i had done till I was proofreading my post.

Alright, some could say we're not highjacking, but just providing a valid supply of information of the old school (Who here remembers the Circle Jerks! hahaha). But if we are and this thread gets locked, hot damn if we aren't taking this to Debate and Discuss. I have conversations on our local forums where hardcore is pretty big in town, but it's a huge F u snob fest most of the time. It's nice to see this all come out on PA

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Coal wrote: »
    There is just not enough At The Drive-In love in this thread. Relationship of Command is probably one of the best albums I have ever heard. OP, go buy it. Now.

Now.

love. for 90% of it. Although in the post break up, ie Sparta and Mars Volta, i picked Sparta. Mars Volta is amazing, and the OP might dig both bands, but the gimmick gets old with a 3 min song and an 8 min jam session on each track.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Age of Ruin - Ooooold school. No idea how far these guys have spread themselves out there, although I heard about them when I lived in Ohio before I even moved close to Baltimore. Still together (with a new singer) and still playing shows.

Converge - Like I said, post is just a gateway drug away from other stuff.

Funeral For a Friend - pure postcore, easy stuff to pickup scene girls with. kidding. sort of.

Showbread - Find their first cd and stick to it. If you can find used copies of anything newer, why not

The Letters Organize - sooo good. If someone's mentioned them already, then right on, i second it.

War of Ages - Again, local to PA, but they get around lately apparently.

Valiant Thor - For the Maylene guys out there. Not quite as heavy on the southern, but I still love it. This guys are pretty far out there though on the lyrics haha.

Clarity Process

Nora - Big around our parts. It was funny watching their strongest arm wrestle Andy from ETID back in the day. Even then Andy was a freakin' monster and a half

Open Hand - good for the OP. Like a slightly more metal version of Beautiful Mistake

Throwdown - I figure somebody already mentioned it. For the kids who like Terror (say it, and prepare to be shuned you non believer) but want some Thrash mixed in with their punk.

Walls of Jericho - If you mentioned it already, then I'm just backing you.

Haste the Day - same, except with these guys, I'll won't just back you, I'll buy you a freakin' drink.

Figure Four - Backed

Stretch Arm Strong - not my favorite, but my friend just smacked me for not mentioning it.

Far-Less - good for the Postcore in you. These guys were just in town. It was hawt stuff.

For Dire Life Sake

Kids Like Us

Kiss of Death

One Dead 3 Wounded

Zao

I kinda wish I hadn't deleted my Myspace now, I had so many good bands lined up on there that I still needed copies of cds. Now a show of hands, how many people have angular girls haircuts, or at least have in the past.... ;-)

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blood Brothers?

Jeedan on
  • Options
    BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sorry if this is off-topic, but where did you guys here that Killswitch Engage was disbanding? I've heard nothing of the sort and me and my buddy are pretty big fans of their shit. Plus, I would think Myspace, Wikipedia, or at least their official website would have some mention of their departure.

Anyways, here's my list:

Horse the Band: The Mechanical Hand

Dillinger Escape Plan: Calculating Infinity

Norma Jean: Redeemer/Bless the Martyr, Kiss the Child

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster (the self-titled)

Every Time I Die: Anything from Hot Damn! on

Evergreen Terrace: Wolfbiker (also, I'm from Jacksonville so I have to rep. the hometown)

That should be good. If you're looking for really intricate try the Dillinger album. Calculating Infinity is nuts as far as arrangement goes, and it was an album a decade ahead of it's time.

Blowflu on
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you enjoy Quicksand, definitely check out Rival Schools. Walter, singer of Quicksand, also sang for them. Also, Rival Schools has Sammy from Youth of Today and I believe the other 2 members were in NYHC bands in the past as well.

dclee on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sorry if this is off-topic, but where did you guys here that Killswitch Engage was disbanding? I've heard nothing of the sort and me and my buddy are pretty big fans of their shit. Plus, I would think Myspace, Wikipedia, or at least their official website would have some mention of their departure.

I heard it from a good friend of mine who introduced me to them. When I told him about Rufio, he came back with something like: "Oh shit! I didn't hear about that! Killswitch Engage broke up too man!!" He's never lied to me once, so I didn't double check my information. He could have been mistaken... Maybe? I doubt it. I'll ask him about it tonight if you want me to.

Also: Emanuel is a good band the OP might like. Not sure if they put out another CD lately, but I saw them on tour with Senses Fail, and I was quite impressed by their music. Also: Saves the Day would be a good choice.

urahonky on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    probably stuff that has all been mentioned, but anyways

blood brothers
    the fall of troy
    converge
    hot cross
    these arms are snakes
    jr ewing
    give up the ghost

JeffH on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

So I asked him, and he heard it from a friend that read it on absolutepunk.com so I went to investigate. I found the following quote:
    Tours with Soilwork and Hypocrisy finished before the band suffered a setback that June; lead singer Leach suddenly left the group, citing voice problems and personal issues. Breaking up was not an option, but Killswitch was still unsure of its future.

Which made me angry, but then I remember that happened early on in 2002. So I think he read that and freaked out. They haven't broken up, my apologies!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nrthstar wrote: »
    Coal wrote: »

Now.

love. for 90% of it. Although in the post break up, ie Sparta and Mars Volta, i picked Sparta. Mars Volta is amazing, and the OP might dig both bands, but the gimmick gets old with a 3 min song and an 8 min jam session on each track.

I'm with you on this Mars Volta being painfully overrated thing but Sparta was only good for like a year or so after the breakup. They started sucking preeeetty hard.

Also the OP doesn't care for At The Drive In at all, so it's completely off topic to recommend related bands. Hence, why Saetia wasn't mentioned by me.

That noted, let's at least make a pretense of trying to help the OP instead of jerking off with our music collections, k guys?

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Which made me angry, but then I remember that happened early on in 2002. So I think he read that and freaked out. They haven't broken up, my apologies!

yay. :zzz:

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    edited December 2007

That noted, let's at least make a pretense of trying to help the OP instead of jerking off with our music collections, k guys?

Yeah, we need to take that into Debate and Discuss, that way we can have the truly useless but somehow slightly satisfying "my favorite band is better than your favorite band discussion"

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    This is a cute little hardcore squad we have going on here.

Zao is absolutely terrible live. Crouched guys crotch in your face the entire time. . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Blood Brothers?

They finally broke up. I was wondering how long they were gonna drag that shit circus on.

OP: If you're gonna listen to anything from the Blood Brothers, listen to "March on Electric Children".

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    woaaah, zao is terrible live? maybe things have changed, but I saw them back in the day at the Fireside with unearth (again, this is unearth right when their second album came out... not the sad shadow of what they once were that we see now) on the burn it down and walk away tour... If no one died at that show it was only because of the very talented medical staff in chicago. That shit was face punching good.

Well anyway, I started a thread in discussion since we clearly have enough people who want to talk about hardcore:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=3981400#post3981400

So unless you want to suggest post-hardcore bands (seriously, what does that even mean?) then you should bring your talk about hardcore over there. I listed my favorite hardcore bands... they are better than your favorite hardcore bands... sucks to be you.

pwb2103 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fuck, this is going to D&D. I'm not even going to bother trying to keep this purely on topic and it's so far in anyhow that you know, I hope they like hardcore over there too

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There needs to be more love for the older glassjaw. The angry woman beating glassjaw.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    pwb2103 wrote: »
    woaaah, zao is terrible live? maybe things have changed, but I saw them back in the day at the Fireside with unearth (again, this is unearth right when their second album came out... not the sad shadow of what they once were that we see now) on the burn it down and walk away tour... If no one died at that show it was only because of the very talented medical staff in chicago. That shit was face punching good.

Well anyway, I started a thread in discussion since we clearly have enough people who want to talk about hardcore:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=3981400#post3981400

So unless you want to suggest post-hardcore bands (seriously, what does that even mean?) then you should bring your talk about hardcore over there. I listed my favorite hardcore bands... they are better than your favorite hardcore bands... sucks to be you.

Sorry. I worded that wrong. They play just fine. I saw them back when Unearth was good too but the stage presence just wasn't there. With that said, I still enjoy old Zao and I don't mind seeing them..wait

ETID is amazing live. Had to put that out there.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There needs to be more love for the older glassjaw. The angry woman beating glassjaw.

Alright, we're in D&D so the kiddy gloves are off, so I can revert to being a typical cynical ahole of hardcore proportions. Haha not really, but yeah, a little.

Glassjaw is the pretty girls post-hardcore. I'm not even talking about dudes dressed like girls, which I pray the next generation doesn't look back and see hardcore represented by these guys, I'm talking about girly girls who like to think they can impress their hcore dates with knowledge of glassjaw. This is more of me being frustrated by nearly every girl I meet rather than hatred of the band. Cause those guys know their stuff, and do it well.

Zao sucks? I don't remember that, course I vaguely remember that show. God Bless the Ottobar in Baltimore. Dirt floors and plenty of beer.

ETID/DEP are playing our local Mexican sports bar/buffett on the 18th of this upcoming month with a Kegger and second hardcore show playing immediately after at the booking companies house. We're hoping the mention of beer will keep the Buckley brothers in town. They are probably the best band I've ever seen live, with AILD a close second.

We're having the debate on our local forums about the best cds for 2007 and I can't decide between Maylene's new one, The Chariots, or ETIDs.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    well so much for trying to have a post about hardcore bands in the disussion section, I guess this bastard post about post-hardcore bands will have to be good enough.
    [bitter] Here is my listing of hardcore deliciousness that I tried to put in the other thread before it got locked by some mod who doesn't know anything about music [/bitter]:

Darkest Hour- Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation - song: pay phones and pills
    Unearth - The Stings of Conscious - song : The Stings of Conscious
    Protest The Hero- Kezia - song: The Divine Suicide of K.
    Caliban - Song: Stigmata
    7 Angels 7 Plagues - Song: The Commentator's Despair
    Norma Jean - Song: The End of All Things Will Be Televised
    Zao - Song: The Ghost Psalm
    Dead to Fall - Everything I Touch Falls to Pieces - Song: Graven Image
    Rifles at Recess - Song: My Apologies to the walking dead
    Undying - The Whispered Lies of Angels - Song: Echoes
    Coalesce - Song: Vehicle (I can't help it, I love the way they did this cover)
    Reggie and the full effect - get well soon (I don't know, Reggie always fits in with hardcore for some reason... deal with it)

pwb2103 on
  • Options
    southernmagnussouthernmagnus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I currently got Quicksand, Hot Water Music, Jawbox, Burning Airlines, Bear vs. Shark, Braid, Drive Like Jehu and a couple others I can't remember.

You've got most of the good ones. Having witnessed that whole scene firsthand there's a couple of the vanguard that you're missing.

Sunny Day Real Estate - in the whole punk/indie/emo scene of the early, mid-90s, having seen this band was a mythical experience. The first two records are generally considered the best by folks who don't consider this their favorite band. Not so heavy, but plenty of intensity and intelligence. The song "In Circles" and "Seven" were pretty much everyone's intro to this band.

Shiner - bastard sons of Jawbox and Black Sabbath, with a little prog thrown in. My personal favorite. Check out the song "Christ Sized Shoes" as a good intro to them- it fits your description of this music perfectly. Their album The Egg fits the cliche of most underrated. album. ever.

Some folks mentioned the Refused, while I do love them and acknowledge their "rule" status, they stole alot of their schtick from Nation of Ulysses and Born Against. Which is not so much to say that you shouldn't like the Refused, again, they're the real deal. It's moreso that you should check both of those other bands out.

southernmagnus on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    His post is colorful and thus much more meaningful!

Right?

Satan. on
  • Options
    southernmagnussouthernmagnus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nah, I just colored it so you could look at the band names and not acutally read the rest of it. Which is what I'm guilty of time to time.

southernmagnus on
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't begin to describe how awesome this thread is for me. I've been going through it and just listening to one or two songs from alot of the bands on youtube, and I've been immediately hooked by about 90% of 'em. I have no fucking clue when I'm going to be able to afford all of these CDs, but it's an awesome problem to have, like I'm at an ATM that won't stop pouring out $100s, and I don't have enough hands to carry it all.

Keep em coming, I'll keep digging.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    After reading the giant lists of bands, I really feel Sick of it All is all I can really add to the list. Amazing intensity.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm with you on this Mars Volta being painfully overrated thing but Sparta was only good for like a year or so after the breakup. They started sucking preeeetty hard.

Also the OP doesn't care for At The Drive In at all, so it's completely off topic to recommend related bands. Hence, why Saetia wasn't mentioned by me.

Haha, nice post. However, I think I do like At the Drive-in, and in fact, I'm willing to check out just about anything anyone posts. My taste has just stagnated, you know?

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not familiar with the rest of their work but the new Dillinger Escape Plan is good times, and mixes hardcore with experimental shit to make a delicious broth of awesome.

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Somebody mentioned Calc infin for Dillinger earlier. This is best for their most straight up insane stuff, but I love Ire Works, just because it shows they've got more than a few riffs up their sleeves. They're the last band that I started out on that I haven't seen yet, so them coming to town in 2 weeks is gonna be amazing.

Boman, what city do you live in? If any of us live near you, we can certainly share some music with you, and also let you know about some of the local bands that are near you that you should check out. The major label bands are only half of it, the local bands are the other half.

Something else helpful here is the record labels for hardcore themselves, that way you can check their sites and usually hear their new bands before their cds even come out. Of course Myspace works in a similar fashion.

Trustkill Records
    Ferret Records
    Solid State
    Initial
    Epitaph
    Victory
    Metal Blade
    Vagrant
    Equal Vision

That's off the top of my head, and that of course doesn't include all the little record labels in my town, cause well, that would be pointless.

*EDIT I spell so well late at night.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"