As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post-Hardcore Bands

13»

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As I Lay Dying did put on a really good show when I saw them live, but that was like four years ago. Have their CDs gotten any better or are they one of those bands that has grown stagnant?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wouldn't say stagnant, but the new cd seemed.... smoother. Maybe a little less intense. I felt like the new cd the guitarists had more and the drummer had less input. But if you ever get a chance to see these guys as headliners of a large show, you've gotta go. When they headlined Sounds of the Underground a couple years back (what a great year, Chariot, Converge, etc) and they were able to play nearly an hour straight, it was crucial.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    I'm with you on this Mars Volta being painfully overrated thing but Sparta was only good for like a year or so after the breakup. They started sucking preeeetty hard.

Also the OP doesn't care for At The Drive In at all, so it's completely off topic to recommend related bands. Hence, why Saetia wasn't mentioned by me.

That noted, let's at least make a pretense of trying to help the OP instead of jerking off with our music collections, k guys?
    Haha, nice post. However, I think I do like At the Drive-in, and in fact, I'm willing to check out just about anything anyone posts. My taste has just stagnated, you know?

At the Drive In are sick.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'll make a suggestion that I haven't seen here. Report Suspicious Activity is a sick punk band, and Stemage is art metal. Both badass.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really hope I'm not the first to suggest this:

Converge.

Get Jane Doe or No More Heroes by Converge. Fucking insane, remind me of Botch.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    More of a love them or hate them band, there's Ion Dissonance (music kicks in about 45 secs in). The first time I heard them I busted out laughing because I couldn't believe their music for real, but the more I listened to it the more I got used to the sound and was able to appreciate them.

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I really hope I'm not the first to suggest this:

Converge.

Get Jane Doe or No More Heroes by Converge. Fucking insane, remind me of Botch.

Speaking of Converge everyone should hear Phoenix in Flames by them. It has the sickest vocals ever, i'm pretty sure Jake conjures a fucking tiger mid song.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pwb2103pwb2103 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    what song was that ion dissonance link supposed to be too? its gone now

pwb2103 on
  • Options
    Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    pwb2103 wrote: »
    what song was that ion dissonance link supposed to be too? its gone now

I'm not sure, but I wanna say it was The Girl Nextdoor Is Always Screaming.

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    my guitarist just got me into some Blacklisted. Not bad.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I had a dream about Glassjaw.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    This post reminds me of college. One time my boyfriend at the time and I interviewed the Blood Brothers before they opened for an AFI show.

Thrice gets mentioned on the first page and yet the album Identity Crisis isn't recommended? SHAME. AFI is mentioned in this thread and the album Black Sails in the Sunset isn't recommended? SHAME.

Converge are gods and I am hoping to maybe see them live sometime before I die.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    This post reminds me of college. One time my boyfriend at the time and I interviewed the Blood Brothers before they opened for an AFI show.

Thrice gets mentioned on the first page and yet the album Identity Crisis isn't recommended? SHAME. AFI is mentioned in this thread and the album Black Sails in the Sunset isn't recommended? SHAME.

I saw them once. But it was at an open air pavilion. I had just left The Black Dahlia murders set and I couldn't get through the crowd to effectively hear Converge (considering how they destroy sound systems) it was pretty depressing. So yeah I saw them but I couldn't quite hear them.

And A.F.I. is one of the saddest stories in music, ever.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I saw them once. But it was at an open air pavilion. I had just left The Black Dahlia murders set and I couldn't get through the crowd to effectively hear Converge (considering how they destroy sound systems) it was pretty depressing. So yeah I saw them but I couldn't quite hear them.

It's so true.

I have a tattoo of some song lyrics of theirs. They were so so good, and pretty special, then....blah.

Medopine on
  • Options
    krodoskrodos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thursday

On the might of princes (broken up)

FUGAZI

Jets To Brazil

Circa Survive

krodos on
    Gilbert, it's the Burger Barn! It's the Burger Barn, Gilbert, the Burger Barn!
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I still love Funeral For A Friend. Casually Dressed and Deep In Conversation was amazing and their two albums since have been good, if featuring a very different sound on each album. And they're excellent live. Ryan Richards is an underrated drummer.

Favorite song of theirs: Waking Up.

And Killswitch broke up? Howard was on Rock Live with LA Lloyd last weekend and he didn't mention anything about a breakup.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    I still love Funeral For A Friend. Casually Dressed and Deep In Conversation was amazing and their two albums since have been good, if featuring a very different sound on each album. And they're excellent live. Ryan Richards is an underrated drummer.

Favorite song of theirs: Waking Up.

And Killswitch broke up? Howard was on Rock Live with LA Lloyd last weekend and he didn't mention anything about a breakup.

I agree about FFAF's first album. Honestly it's damn good emocore (i guess that's what we can call it), although I have to say the lyrics are shaky at best.

As for KSE. . .eh I think they were a bit better prior to Howard joining up. From The End of Heartache onward all of their albums have seemed to mesh together. Their guitarist (Adam?) is an excellent producer and quite the character on stage.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pretty much anything ever released on Dischord Records, but also I recommend the band These Arms Are Snakes. ex-Botch with some inspiration from The VSS.

kitch on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I quite enjoyed the first stuff I heard from TAAS. They put out anything good recently?

Mostly I just enjoy the song title "Riding the Grape Dragon," heh.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A.F.I. - The Art Of Drowning (Pretend like that's all they made)
    Black Sails >> Art of Drowning

Just sayin'

Boysetsfire is also an incredible group. Rookie is my favorite song of theirs, but Walk Astray is a close second. Evidently they broke up recently, which saddens me as I always wanted to see them live and never got the chance.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

It's so true.

I have a tattoo of some song lyrics of theirs. They were so so good, and pretty special, then....blah.

Evidently after Sing the Sorrow (which had shitty singles, but grew on me) Davey had to have surgery done on his throat and is /physically incapable/ of screaming like he used to. I saw them about a year ago, and it was just... not good. The only older stuff they did was Days of the Pheonix and God Called In Sick Today, and neither of them sounded right at all.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    AFI is still good. The Art of Drowning really isn't that radically different from most of the stuff on STS/DU, so I don't know why everyone is so up at arms about it. Stuff like Days of the Phoenix and Morningstar could easily be off their newest album.

It's obviously lighter/poppier, yeah, but I think the main reason everyone hates on them now is because Davey looks like a chick now

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    JeffH wrote: »
    AFI is still good. The Art of Drowning really isn't that radically different from most of the stuff on STS/DU, so I don't know why everyone is so up at arms about it. Stuff like Days of the Phoenix and Morningstar could easily be off their newest album.

It's obviously lighter/poppier, yeah, but I think the main reason everyone hates on them now is because Davey looks like a chick now

Neither Days of the Pheonix nor Morningstar has stupid dance-techno-crap overlayed for no good goddamn reason. Davey also sounds completely different.

Don't get me wrong, Decemberunderground isn't bad, it just isn't AFI.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

It's so true.

Evidently after Sing the Sorrow (which had shitty singles, but grew on me) Davey had to have surgery done on his throat and is /physically incapable/ of screaming like he used to. I saw them about a year ago, and it was just... not good. The only older stuff they did was Days of the Pheonix and God Called In Sick Today, and neither of them sounded right at all.
    I would believe this. It sucks because the kind of screaming that you find in hardcore/post-hardcore bands is the kind that is bad for your throat and you can't do indefinitely, and the kind that is safe to do is the retarded metal growling. Life isn't fair.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    JeffH wrote: »

Neither Days of the Pheonix nor Morningstar has stupid dance-techno-crap overlayed for no good goddamn reason. Davey also sounds completely different.

Don't get me wrong, Decemberunderground isn't bad, it just isn't AFI.

His voice changed from AOD to STS, and just kept getting worse.

Also they've publicly said they'd like fans to forget their early/older stuff, as it embarrasses them. I think that's pretty rude to their fans and pretty naive to deny your own roots and pretend like you were always a glamorous rock star on a major label.

So blah.

Medopine on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also they've publicly said they'd like fans to forget their early/older stuff, as it embarrasses them. I think that's pretty rude to their fans and pretty naive to deny your own roots and pretend like you were always a glamorous rock star on a major label.

So blah.

I'm not so sure that refers to their whole back catalog, as I can see how that would be a reasonable comment for them to make as some of their old stuff has some lyrics I could see someone being embarrassed about writing (cruise control, rolling balls, etc) Don't get me wrong, I like that stuff more than current AFI, but at least see my point a little bit.

As far as the dance goes, you're right about that, if you don't like it that seems to be the new direction they're heading, with Blaqk Audio and all.

JeffH on
  • Options
    Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone hear the new Protest the Hero yet? I'm on the wall about it. I really want to like it but asides from Blood Meat, Bone Marrow, the Dissentience, and Wretch it all sounds....over done. And the keyboard solo from the Dragonforce guy is way too over the top for me. The instrument lines are all awesome (please give me Bloodmeat in Rock Band I don't care what it takes) but it seems like sometimes the songs themselves could've benefited from a tad less extreme riffing.

Also, because I read this thread I decided to check out Boy Sets Fire...they are now one of my current favorites. Thanks guys :D.

Alchemist449 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Snork wrote: »

It's so true.

and the kind that is safe to do is the retarded metal growling.

Hey now, that's not totally true. Not to mention in the case of hardcore/punk it can require a whole lot of vocal training and care to keep it up. Which is kind of funny considering the wreckless abandon lifestyle of punk. Okay yeah, life isn't fair.

I could never get into BoySetsFire.

(Edit: I just found out Hopesfall broke up. A bloo a bloo :( )

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I quite enjoyed the first stuff I heard from TAAS. They put out anything good recently?

Mostly I just enjoy the song title "Riding the Grape Dragon," heh.

Their last album, Easter, blows away everything else they've released.

kitch on
  • Options
    pwb2103pwb2103 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I checked out the new Protest The Hero too and I'm also still kind of skeptical some of it sounds like it is a bit more random and a bit less planned out than Kezia was...
    But then again when I first heard Kezia I didn't really like it either. I think the more complex it is the longer it takes to get into it, but the better it is in the end. So I'm still trying to stay open minded even if that does mean ridiculous key-tar solos. The sound quality on that leaked album wasn't that great either... still waiting for my pre-order to show up in hope that it sounds better on CD

pwb2103 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dance Gavin Dance is really fun. A bit unpolished but mostly fun.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm a casual hardcore-metalcore fan, but I like seeing that ETID is getting mad props here. Ratboy (their drummer) was supposed to fill in with one of my bands a few weeks ago, but he messed up his back.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yall wrote: »
    I'm a casual hardcore-metalcore fan, but I like seeing that ETID is getting mad props here. Ratboy (their drummer) was supposed to fill in with one of my bands a few weeks ago, but he messed up his back.

ETID is my favorite band of all time. Ever. It was a blast playing their CD when I drove through Buffalo earlier this month.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yall wrote: »

ETID is my favorite band of all time. Ever. It was a blast playing their CD when I drove through Buffalo earlier this month.

I actually did a little work in a studio owned by one of the guys from Snapcase with Ratboy before. We were making metal-ish sound clips for a now-defunct local sports network. One of their guitar players, Andy came over as well. Real nice dudes, and great musicians.

Yall on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone hear the new Protest the Hero yet? I'm on the wall about it. I really want to like it but asides from Blood Meat, Bone Marrow, the Dissentience, and Wretch it all sounds....over done. And the keyboard solo from the Dragonforce guy is way too over the top for me. The instrument lines are all awesome (please give me Bloodmeat in Rock Band I don't care what it takes) but it seems like sometimes the songs themselves could've benefited from a tad less extreme riffing.

Also, because I read this thread I decided to check out Boy Sets Fire...they are now one of my current favorites. Thanks guys :D.

That keyboard solo rules.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    BobTrokeyBobTrokey Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like this thread, these bands are generally shat upon by the metal thread and metal snobs in general, but its nice to see others that enjoy them.

I really liked ETID's gutter phenomenon, i saw their new cd at a store wasnt sure if it was good to get or not, glad to hear others enjoy. i'll have to pick it up.

BobTrokey on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've checked out some of the bands in this thread and I'm in love. This is a really great thread, keep the recommendations a coming!

Tav on
  • Options
    Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Blood Brothers?

They finally broke up. I was wondering how long they were gonna drag that shit circus on.

OP: If you're gonna listen to anything from the Blood Brothers, listen to "March on Electric Children".

What's with the Blood Brothers hate? I mean, yeah, they weren't for everyone and when they missed the mark they missed big time, but I'd still call them one of the best bands from the scene. The way they would blend noise and melody amazes me. 'Course I'm of the opinion that the only way to listen to the BBs is with the lyric sheet in front of you. The music and the voices the singers use make much more sense if you know what their saying. If you want to listen to the Blood Brothers look up "Ambulance Vs. Ambulance" and the other singles before heading into their albums. Burn, Piano Island, Burn would probably be the best.

Alchemist449 on