As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Books

• Options
    RegrettableRegrettable Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    Has anyone read Shantaram? I was at a bookstore a while back and there was a table that was organized by genre (sort of) and it was on it, and considering I read many of the other books also on that table I was considering reading it as well. Is it any good?

That's the book about a drug dealer right? If it is, the only reason I know about it is because Johnny Depp's been trying to get it made into a movie for a while.

It's a semi-autobiography about a bank-robber who broke out of prison in Australia and went to India where he became a smuggler and such for the Indian mob. My friend's mum knew the guy before he got arrested.

Regrettable on
    cthulhusigcopy-1.png
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I hate those guys that try to spot religion in everything

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Has anyone read Shantaram? I was at a bookstore a while back and there was a table that was organized by genre (sort of) and it was on it, and considering I read many of the other books also on that table I was considering reading it as well. Is it any good?

That's the book about a drug dealer right? If it is, the only reason I know about it is because Johnny Depp's been trying to get it made into a movie for a while.

It's a semi-autobiography about a bank-robber who broke out of prison in Australia and went to India where he became a smuggler and such for the Indian mob. My friend's mum knew the guy before he got arrested.

Man, that is a blatant allegory for Zoroaster.

Why do people keep trying to force their religions on me?

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zot wrote: »

You mean the people who see Jesus in a piece of toast?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I actually saw that once; It was a portrait of the Last Supper, made entirety from squares of toast, on display at a Ripley's Museum.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Yeah that's what it was. Man it's going to be such a kickass movie

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »

I actually saw that once; It was a portrait of the Last Supper, made entirety from squares of toast, on display at a Ripley's Museum.

no; like, people who look at the toastmarks on what comes out of their toaster at home and see jesus in them

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I got what you meant, and those people are completely nucking futs. What would we do without them as a source of entertainment?

Goatmon on

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I got what you meant, and those people are completely nucking futs. What would we do without them as a source of entertainment?

Certainly not have this handy item to mock them with.

Hehe, I'm so silly. ^^

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That....that is wonderful.

Goatmon on

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I need it.

I need two.

YaYa on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Makes a perfect golden-brown Jesus every time!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i recommend "lanark: a life in four books" by alasdair gray

it is my favorite book

it's basically a vision of hell written in the style of joyce. this is a terrible summation because it is so much more than that, but whatever.

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    simo wrote: »
    i recommend "lanark: a life in four books" by alasdair gray

it is my favorite book

it's basically a vision of hell written in the style of joyce. this is a terrible summation because it is so much more than that, but whatever.

but I already have that, and it is part 3(?) of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Are these just general recommendations, or what?
    Because I'm going to say ASOIAF and Ender's Game, and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    right now i'm reading the Tyranny of the Status Quo by Milton and Rose Friedman.

I recommend it to anyone.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If we are doing recommendations I recommends Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle. Bogey liked them.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dumb Hero wrote: »
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever are also a fantastic series.

Holy shit that's the name of them. My uncle gave me the first one and I was taking a break from it on account of too much school reading and I lost it in the process and couldn't remember the name.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    When I first read the Golden Compass and the sequels, I didn't pick up on the atheist thing. Probably had something to do with me being 12 and in Catholic school at the time.

I read it again the other day and holy shit it's obvious.

I can't wait to check out Amber Spyglass next time I go by Borders. Golden Compass was good, but Subtle Knife was amazing.

Goatmon on

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They believe religion is harmful to society. Any negative impact on society is likely to have a negative impact on any given member of that society.

I say the first point is flawed.

religion is not harmful to society

people, and the way they interpret things, are harmful to society
    Guns don't kill people, people do.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    naporeon wrote: »
    They believe religion is harmful to society. Any negative impact on society is likely to have a negative impact on any given member of that society.

essentially, yes

that's why people should have limited access to guns

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008

essentially, yes

So you're suggesting limited access to religion?

Shit, I'm an atheist, and I disagree with that.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Actually people don't kill people, gods with guns kill people.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

essentially, yes

what are you, a commie?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Guns don't kill people, it's just that certain noise they make.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Guns don't kill people, but they sure do make it easier.

Also, it's the cardiac arrest caused by massive blood-loss and organ failure do to catastrophic shock and damage to the tissue that a bullet causes that kills people.

Lots of people.

And squirrels and deer and chipmunks if I'm around.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Yes. You win, sir.

:^:

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Guns don't kill people
    happygilmoresabatoge11.jpg
    I kill people.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    When people are denied guns, they turn to knives. Just look at London.

It's the same with religion. There will be people who abuse power regardless of the source of that power. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely", no? Certain atheists are fond of bringing up the crusades, but are happy to ignore the soviet pogroms, which were just as atheistic as the crusades were religious, and ended more lives by multiple orders of magnitude in a much shorter period of time.

The problem isn't religion, atheism, guns, racism, drugs, poverty or illiteracy. The problem is people.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Yes. You win, sir.

:^:
    See, I was wondering who would be the first to catch this.

I thought it would be Teefs, but then, I'm a little sloshed.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Guns don't kill people
    happygilmoresabatoge11.jpg
    I kill people.

You read my fucking mind. I want to hug you. There needs to be a hug button, and a list next to private messages that reads users who have sent you a hug.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited January 2008

It's the same with religion. There will be people who abuse power regardless of the source of that power. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely", no? Certain atheists are fond of bringing up the crusades, but are happy to ignore the soviet pogroms, which were just as atheistic as the crusades were religious, and ended more lives by multiple orders of magnitude in a much shorter period of time.

The problem isn't religion, atheism, guns, racism, drugs, poverty or illiteracy. The problem is people.
    Soviets weren't really atheists.

They worshiped The State.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Josef Stalin was also an Atheist.

Hell, if you wanna be obscure, Hitler was a painter, and a vegetarian.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited January 2008

Is The State a god now?

The Soviets condemned any belief in god as counter to the benefit of the people. "Opiate of the people" and whatnot. They were more than happy to condemn any religious organization, only barely tolerating those who were willing to act as puppets of the governments, and to arrest or execute their adherents.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

these things are not obscure

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Is The State a god now?

The Soviets condemned any belief in god as counter to the benefit of the people. "Opiate of the people" and whatnot. They were more than happy to condemn any religious organization, only barely tolerating those who were willing to act as puppets of the governments, and to arrest or execute their adherents.
    Yes, The State can be a God. Try asking a fundamentalist Christian if they consider the Communist perspective on The State to be a form of idolatry.

But maybe you should reread what you just wrote. Like, a few times. Until it stops being simplistic, community college horseshit.

If you don't have the patience for that--and who could blame you?--, maybe you could realize how there are only trivial differences between an ostensibly atheistic government that encourages an ideology exalting the state, and a theocratic one exalting a god.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

negaGodwin?

Hitler didn't execute people because his painting and vegetarianism required it. The Soviet pogroms were a direct result of Soviet teaching, often (and most famously) derived from their need to eliminate any non-atheistic organization.

People will always revere something. People will always be cruel, hateful, and violent. They often use the first to justify the second, regardless of what that first thing is. Replacing religion with atheism won't solve this. The Soviets tried to replace religion with Atheism, and it quickly resulted in cruelty, hate, and violence.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Shit, I agree with you, really. I just think that you could put a little more effort into not sounding like a total dipshit.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Is The State a god now?

Yes, The State can be a God. Try asking a fundamentalist Christian if they consider the Communist perspective on The State to be a form of idolatry.

But maybe you should reread what you just wrote. Like, a few times. Until it stops being simplistic, community college horseshit.

If you don't have the patience for that--and who could blame you?--, maybe you could realize how there are only trivial differences between an ostensibly atheistic government that encourages an ideology exalting the state, and a theocratic one exalting a god.

The Christian concept of idolatry includes anything that takes God's place of worship, whether or not it is a god. The State, as the Soviets understood it, is not a god in the theistic sense, and so 'worshiping' it does not prevent the Soviets from having been strictly atheistic.

I hope you realize you made my point for me. The Soviet Block and Medieval Europe are examples of, as you put it, an "atheistic government" and a "theocratic one" (using a generous definition of theocracy). These certain atheists like to point out the Crusades as an example of how religion has a negative impact on society. The Soviets, being strict atheists, did not avoid similar atrocities. A strictly atheistic society does not, then, preclude large scale hate and violence as these individuals would have people believe. The problem is with human nature, not belief in god.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Shit, I agree with you, really. I just think that you could put a little more effort into not sounding like a total dipshit.

And you could put a little more effort into not sounding like a pompous ass. :P

laughingfuzzball on