As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP Heath Ledger

123457»

• Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Marathon wrote: »
    So as we all know, the Westboro Baptist Church had planned to protest at the funeral of Heath Ledger. So his family arranged to have a private ceremony, too bad for the crazies of the WBC right? Nope, they sent his family a letter asking them to give them the funeral details because "Heath, who is now burning in hell, would want it."

http://www.bgay.com/news/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=173&Itemid=23

Dear friends:

For misguided reasons you are hiding the body of Heath Ledger, and refusing to divulge the time, date, and place of his burial in Perth, Australia, so that we at Westboro Baptist Church cannot attend - in respectful proximity - and conduct a religious service.

Please reconsider. For the following reasons:

1) Heath would want us to appear - in religious protest and warning to the living - that they should repent, "lest they also come into this place of torment." Lk. 16:28. Like the rich man in Hell in Luke 16, Heath is pleading even now for somebody on earth to preach the truth to his family, lest they join him in Hell.

2) Heath himself could come back to life for a brief period to speak to his loved ones on earth, he would lift up his voice in a hideous scream, to wit: "Listen to Phelps! For God's sake, Listen to Phelps."

3) You owe it to the youth of the world, whom Heath misled via "Brokeback Mountain" into believing it was OK to be gay. I say, you owe it to the youth of the world to use Heath's funeral to correct that lie. It's NOT OK to be gay. It is a great sin against God. It will destroy the life and damn the soul. All those whom Heath misled will arrive ultimately in Hell, and they will curse Heath to his face throughout all eternity.

Please tell us the time, date, and place of Heath's funeral in Australia. Thank you.

This reads like a parody.

Which is why its so hard to parody extremists because it doesn't take much effort.

bychance on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    if you don't fancy youtube because of the comments you probably won't enjoy any piece of the internet very much.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bychance wrote: »
    So as we all know, the Westboro Baptist Church had planned to protest at the funeral of Heath Ledger. So his family arranged to have a private ceremony, too bad for the crazies of the WBC right? Nope, they sent his family a letter asking them to give them the funeral details because "Heath, who is now burning in hell, would want it."

http://www.bgay.com/news/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=173&Itemid=23

Dear friends:

For misguided reasons you are hiding the body of Heath Ledger, and refusing to divulge the time, date, and place of his burial in Perth, Australia, so that we at Westboro Baptist Church cannot attend - in respectful proximity - and conduct a religious service.

1) Heath would want us to appear - in religious protest and warning to the living - that they should repent, "lest they also come into this place of torment." Lk. 16:28. Like the rich man in Hell in Luke 16, Heath is pleading even now for somebody on earth to preach the truth to his family, lest they join him in Hell.

2) Heath himself could come back to life for a brief period to speak to his loved ones on earth, he would lift up his voice in a hideous scream, to wit: "Listen to Phelps! For God's sake, Listen to Phelps."

3) You owe it to the youth of the world, whom Heath misled via "Brokeback Mountain" into believing it was OK to be gay. I say, you owe it to the youth of the world to use Heath's funeral to correct that lie. It's NOT OK to be gay. It is a great sin against God. It will destroy the life and damn the soul. All those whom Heath misled will arrive ultimately in Hell, and they will curse Heath to his face throughout all eternity.

Please tell us the time, date, and place of Heath's funeral in Australia. Thank you.

Which is why its so hard to parody extremists because it doesn't take much effort.

I can think of a few places I'd give the WBC directions to.

By the way, here's some footage of the WBC being chased off by an angry mob.

Grombar on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

Dear friends:

This has invoked possibly the calmest rage I've ever felt in my life. It's that kind of rage, were I geographically closer to the Phelps than I am, that I might not think twice about acting on.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They recently got their "church" vandalized, if it means anything, Hippy.

I live a few blocks away, unfortunately.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Dear friends:

This has invoked possibly the calmest rage I've ever felt in my life. It's that kind of rage, were I geographically closer to the Phelps than I am, that I might not think twice about acting on.

Yeah, probably good I live in Canada.

Hey, let's take down the names of all these people picketing funerals, and then picket their funerals.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Did it blow up?

Were they all killed?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hewn wrote: »
    D: I want to see this on YouTube now

Daniel Day-Lewis SAG Speech:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxr8mbvaB2E

Don't even bother reading the comments. You'll feel the rage of a thousand rhinos.
    It goes to prove that in this world, the things you do can change people's lives, and can reach out and touch those who see only a glimpse of you. Simply because in that one glimpse, you show the world everything you've got. Heath will always be a part of our lives, and an ode to the greatness of acting and talent. He was an anchor of our generation. Bless Daniel Day-Lewis for paying tribute to Heath's memory. Thank you, sir. You put in words, everything we feel inside. Bless you. Thank you.

Well, that was a pleasant surprise.

Turkey on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Narian wrote: »

Did it blow up?

Were they all killed?

Nah, just a bunch of graffiti.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Did it blow up?

Were they all killed?

At least the time they have to take to clean it up is time they won't be bothering anyone else.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Did it blow up?

Were they all killed?

If it were me? I wouldn't write anything graphic, or obscene. I'd just paint the whole thing hot pink, top to bottom.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bychance wrote: »
    Some stuff

I can't say for sure that it's 100% legit because as far as I know this never showed up on their website. But with these people I wouldn't put it past them. It seems just like their brand of heartless opportunism.

Marathon on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Dynagrip on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not. The impression I was given by the article (based on the conclusion of the ME and what the family said) is that none of the individual drugs were taken in excess. It sounds like he just took a lot of different shit. And while it might seem excessive to be taking that many different (and many hardcore) drugs, I can say that after a few weeks of next to no sleep it would seem perfectly reasonable to you. Especially if that insomnia is combined with any other sort of depression or anxiety-related issues. Been there, done that.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    It was strange seeing two British made documentaries about the group on tv in a relatively short space of time. Especially with the polar opposite methods employed by each one.

I realise that this post is useless but I thought I'd share.

There were two? I saw the hour long one with the BBC - the fellow had black hair and wore glasses - but who made the other one? The BBC again?

The other one was with Keith Allen produced by Channel 4. He was a lot more aggressive with them than Louis Theroux was, and if his was first, it might explain why they were not so keen on having Theroux there as they were more open on the other one.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not. The impression I was given by the article (based on the conclusion of the ME and what the family said) is that none of the individual drugs were taken in excess. It sounds like he just took a lot of different shit. And while it might seem excessive to be taking that many different (and many hardcore) drugs, I can say that after a few weeks of next to no sleep it would seem perfectly reasonable to you. Especially if that insomnia is combined with any other sort of depression or anxiety-related issues. Been there, done that.
    True enough. Seeing 4 different benzos kind of leapt out at me. I wonder which drug in the mix was the most dangerous.

Also, completely unrelated, does anyone know what percentage of suicides leave notes and such?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

True enough. Seeing 4 different benzos kind of leapt out at me. I wonder which drug in the mix was the most dangerous.

Also, completely unrelated, does anyone know what percentage of suicides leave notes and such?

I'm not sure but I can guess not that many. At least not of successful suicides (as opposed to the ones labelled as a cry for help or attention-getting) . A suicide note would indicate a fairly high level of premeditation. If the suicide was in a moment of despair, I doubt they would have taken the time to write a note.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Did it blow up?

Were they all killed?

When Phelps kicks off, I'm going to picket with a big sign reading, "Satan welcomes his good son home."

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

Did it blow up?

Were they all killed?

When Phelps kicks off, I'm going to picket with a big sign reading, "Satan welcomes his good son home."
    I'm not a fan of Phelps' work.

Satan. on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

Did it blow up?

Were they all killed?

I'm not a fan of Phelps' work.

I have him in my death pool.

*Fingers crossed*

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.