Options

RIP Heath Ledger

• Options
    TheAlbaniacTheAlbaniac Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Reelviews is my favorite movie review / commentary site. Be sure to check out the top 100 best movies of all-time, and the best movies per year.

Of course, everyone has different tastes, but because I generally agree with his reviews, I find them good predictors for movies I haven't seen.

TheAlbaniac on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zython wrote: »

There are some Fox News related email addresses you can send complaints to, which I urge all people who care enough to do.

http://www.glaad.org/action/calls_detail.php?id=4189

I mean, Gibson is bad enough without this, but this...

What a piece of shit.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    slowroll wrote: »
    slowroll wrote: »
    are you this naive
    like really?
    you don't think taking depressants, snorting coke, abusing heroin and all that other wonderful stuff doesn't affect your heart
    have you seen an interview of him recently
    or not even recently
    like from 3 years ago? he was a mess
    So, how did you gain insider knowledge of Heath's life without anyone else finding out? He was clean of illicit shit like that. No, I don't think the skunk cannabis killed him.
    ok, best bud of heath ledger, i'll take your word for it
    can't wait to see the autopsy report in a couple of weeks
    Me either. The reports out now from authorities indicate none of those drugs played a role in his death.

Something you might not know about this forum that apparently differentiates it from some others: we actually back up what we say and don't just run around with rampant speculation.

Thanks for playing though!

Satan. on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Reelviews is my favorite movie review / commentary site. Be sure to check out the top 100 best movies of all-time, and the best movies per year.

Of course, everyone has different tastes, but because I generally agree with his reviews, I find them good predictors for movies I haven't seen.

Yea I've been reading that website for about 7 years now. Good stuff.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This thread has served to remind me that people are a bunch of fucking retards, still. Of course it's mostly people that I've never seen post here before so I assume they're from dark corners of the internet but still.

It reads like a gossip blog commentary.

bychance on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »

There are some Fox News related email addresses you can send complaints to, which I urge all people who care enough to do.

What a piece of shit.

At least he fessed up to being an ass:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325371,00.html

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    More like his bosses made him read off a teleprompter/put up a shitty piece on his blog.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    bychance wrote: »
    This thread has served to remind me that people are a bunch of fucking retards, still. Of course it's mostly people that I've never seen post here before so I assume they're from dark corners of the internet but still.

I used to read gossip blogs a long time ago. I shudder to think what the comments were like when this story initially hit.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I used to read gossip blogs a long time ago. I shudder to think what the comments were like when this story initially hit.

You made the right decision. I wish I would of done myself the favor.

bychance on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

You made the right decision. I wish I would of done myself the favor.
    Do you want a hug?

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No I've recovered since this morning, after browsing this.
    It was still a sad sight to see though.

bychance on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man don't do shit like that. I read With Leather, WWTDD's sister sports blog and when they link WWTDD it hurts so bad not to click.

That being said: *click*

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man don't do shit like that. I read With Leather, WWTDD's sister sports blog and when they link WWTDD it hurts so bad not to click.

That being said: *click*
    I'VE READ LIKE NINE PAGES WORTH OF POSTS

Satan. on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »

What a piece of shit.

I don't think the guy is being completely horrible. I mean, yeah, a bit insensitive, but he says that Heath Ledger had a lot to look forward to in life and all of that.

Sure, he could've avoided making light of the death with that Clinton/Obama joke...

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh man, I think I've only ever watched The Soup twice in my life but man best glad I watched it for the Heath Ledger mention.

For those of you that don't know it's just like a talk show where they bash celeberties.

And he was like "Oh Heath Ledger passed away" my blood pressure went up a bit.

But he basically said something like:
    Over the years we've never had to mention Heath Ledger etc etc so to all of you people who are trying to dig up some dirt stop messing with the life of a stand up guy.

It was perfect.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh man, I think I've only ever watched The Soup twice in my life but man best glad I watched it for the Heath Ledger mention.

For those of you that don't know it's just like a talk show where they bash celeberties.

Over the years we've never had to mention Heath Ledger etc etc so to all of you people who are trying to dig up some dirt stop messing with the life of a stand up guy.

It was perfect.

Youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dMs0vJP_96k

Medopine on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

It was perfect.

Yeah, I actually saw that this morning and it was a really well expressed sentiment.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yeah that's great. thanks for the youtube.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    10 Things I Hate About You was on today.

Was sad. =/

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That makes me love Joel McHale even more than I already did.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This further proves that Terry Gilliam is cursed.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think what gets me most about Heath is "A Knight's Tale." I don't think anyone else in that role could have elevated it past the popcorn-y flick it really is. Ledger is just a fine, fun actor. Sigh. I'll miss this guy.

I bought "A Knight's Tale" on Blu-Ray on Friday even though I've seen it a dozen times...it's one of those movies that, if it ever came on TV while I was passing by or flipping through channels, I would stop what I was doing or stop channel surfing and watch it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You can't forget Alan Tudyk, though. "I will fong you!" etc etc.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ConvaelConvael Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Daniel Day-Lewis dedicated his SAG award to Ledger. No one else could even be bothered to give as much as a mention of him which I thought was really shitty. It was so weird to see him included during the 'In Memoriam' segment with all of the other much older actors who died this year...

Convael on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The funny thing about itm is that Daniel Day Lewis didn't even know him.

I'm sure some of those other actors there had met Ledger...but they couldn't say anything?

DDL is a stand-up guy. (Hell, he almost cried on Oprah about the whole thing.)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Convael wrote: »
    Daniel Day-Lewis dedicated his SAG award to Ledger. No one else could even be bothered to give as much as a mention of him which I thought was really shitty. It was so weird to see him included during the 'In Memoriam' segment with all of the other much older actors who died this year...

That shit usually brings a tear to my eye during the Oscars, this year it's going to be fucking terrible.

DDL's speech:
    Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
    DANIEL DAY-LEWIS / Daniel Plainview – There Will Be Blood (Paramount Vantage)

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS: Thank you. I’m very, very proud of this. Thank you so much for giving it to me. And I’m very proud to be included in that group of wonderful actors this year.

You know, for as long as I can remember, the thing that gave me a sense of wonderment, of renewal, the thing that teased me with the question, how is such a thing possible, and then dare you to go back into the arena of one more time, with longing and self-doubt, jostling in the balance. It’s always been the work of other actors, and there are many actors in this room tonight, including my fellow nominees who have given that sense of regeneration and…

Heath Ledger gave it to me. [applause] In “Monster’s Ball,” that character that he created, it seemed to be almost like an unformed being, retreating from themselves, retreating from his father, from his life, even retreating from us, and yet we wanted to follow him, and yet we’re scared to follow him almost. It was unique. And then, of course, in “Brokeback Mountain,” he was unique, he was perfect. [applause] And that scene in the trailer at the end of the film is as moving as anything that I think I’ve ever seen. And I’d like to dedicate this to Heath Ledger. So, thank you very much. Thank you so much. [applause]

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

That shit usually brings a tear to my eye during the Oscars, this year it's going to be fucking terrible.

DDL's speech:
    Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
    DANIEL DAY-LEWIS / Daniel Plainview – There Will Be Blood (Paramount Vantage)

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS: Thank you. I’m very, very proud of this. Thank you so much for giving it to me. And I’m very proud to be included in that group of wonderful actors this year.

You know, for as long as I can remember, the thing that gave me a sense of wonderment, of renewal, the thing that teased me with the question, how is such a thing possible, and then dare you to go back into the arena of one more time, with longing and self-doubt, jostling in the balance. It’s always been the work of other actors, and there are many actors in this room tonight, including my fellow nominees who have given that sense of regeneration and…

Heath Ledger gave it to me. [applause] In “Monster’s Ball,” that character that he created, it seemed to be almost like an unformed being, retreating from themselves, retreating from his father, from his life, even retreating from us, and yet we wanted to follow him, and yet we’re scared to follow him almost. It was unique. And then, of course, in “Brokeback Mountain,” he was unique, he was perfect. [applause] And that scene in the trailer at the end of the film is as moving as anything that I think I’ve ever seen. And I’d like to dedicate this to Heath Ledger. So, thank you very much. Thank you so much. [applause]
    D: I want to see this on YouTube now

Satan. on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Daniel Day-Lewis SAG Speech:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxr8mbvaB2E

Don't even bother reading the comments. You'll feel the rage of a thousand rhinos.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hewn wrote: »

Don't even bother reading the comments. You'll feel the rage of a thousand rhinos.
    How is that different from any other YouTube video comments section?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Slapnuts wrote: »

Seriously, normal people must say nothing. Or mock in silence. They can't stand either forms of protest against them. Standing with them with a "God Hates Figs" sign and pretending your supposed to be there is one of the best ideas I've heard for protesting them.

Getting you to say something to them is their goal. It validates them. Silence is their most hated form of retaliation.

Sucks that the media is validating them by saying they're going to protest Heath Ledger's funeral. They probably wouldn't have if everyone just ignored them.

Is that just a joke brought about by misspelling? Or is it a reference to the story about Jesus withering the fig tree? Cause that would be damn funny. Especially if they asked what you meant by that...
    Drez wrote: »
    I think what gets me most about Heath is "A Knight's Tale." I don't think anyone else in that role could have elevated it past the popcorn-y flick it really is. Ledger is just a fine, fun actor. Sigh. I'll miss this guy.

I bought "A Knight's Tale" on Blu-Ray on Friday even though I've seen it a dozen times...it's one of those movies that, if it ever came on TV while I was passing by or flipping through channels, I would stop what I was doing or stop channel surfing and watch it.

I have a confession to make. I don't think I've seen anything with Heath Ledger in it. The first I heard about him was when A Knight's Tale came out. The movie looked terrible to me, and at that point in my life I had a terrible hatred for golden-haired pretty boys. Despite all the good things I've heard about 10 Things I Hate About You, I've never gotten around to seeing it. Haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. I was really looking forward to The Dark Knight, because having seen the trailers, and peoples reaction to his casting, I figured it would be the best first impression I could get off him.

My housemate who is a big movie-buff says he's never seen Heath in anything he didn't like. That puts him right up there with Christian Bale and Ed Norton in my book. It's a real shame to lose talent like that..

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I haven't particularly followed this story, has anything been uncovered about cause of death? Last I heard was that cause was unknown.

I liked quite a few of his films, and can't wait to see The Dark Knight.

It's sad.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So as we all know, the Westboro Baptist Church had planned to protest at the funeral of Heath Ledger. So his family arranged to have a private ceremony, too bad for the crazies of the WBC right? Nope, they sent his family a letter asking them to give them the funeral details because "Heath, who is now burning in hell, would want it."

http://www.bgay.com/news/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=173&Itemid=23

Dear friends:

For misguided reasons you are hiding the body of Heath Ledger, and refusing to divulge the time, date, and place of his burial in Perth, Australia, so that we at Westboro Baptist Church cannot attend - in respectful proximity - and conduct a religious service.

Please reconsider. For the following reasons:

1) Heath would want us to appear - in religious protest and warning to the living - that they should repent, "lest they also come into this place of torment." Lk. 16:28. Like the rich man in Hell in Luke 16, Heath is pleading even now for somebody on earth to preach the truth to his family, lest they join him in Hell.

2) Heath himself could come back to life for a brief period to speak to his loved ones on earth, he would lift up his voice in a hideous scream, to wit: "Listen to Phelps! For God's sake, Listen to Phelps."

3) You owe it to the youth of the world, whom Heath misled via "Brokeback Mountain" into believing it was OK to be gay. I say, you owe it to the youth of the world to use Heath's funeral to correct that lie. It's NOT OK to be gay. It is a great sin against God. It will destroy the life and damn the soul. All those whom Heath misled will arrive ultimately in Hell, and they will curse Heath to his face throughout all eternity.

Please tell us the time, date, and place of Heath's funeral in Australia. Thank you.

Marathon on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    O_o

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think people realize that the WBC consists of the crazy Reverend Phelps and his entire family. There are only a handful of members that aren't directly related to the man.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Slapnuts wrote: »

Seriously, normal people must say nothing. Or mock in silence. They can't stand either forms of protest against them. Standing with them with a "God Hates Figs" sign and pretending your supposed to be there is one of the best ideas I've heard for protesting them.

Getting you to say something to them is their goal. It validates them. Silence is their most hated form of retaliation.

Sucks that the media is validating them by saying they're going to protest Heath Ledger's funeral. They probably wouldn't have if everyone just ignored them.

Is that just a joke brought about by misspelling? Or is it a reference to the story about Jesus withering the fig tree? Cause that would be damn funny. Especially if they asked what you meant by that...
    Drez wrote: »

I have a confession to make. I don't think I've seen anything with Heath Ledger in it. The first I heard about him was when A Knight's Tale came out. The movie looked terrible to me, and at that point in my life I had a terrible hatred for golden-haired pretty boys. Despite all the good things I've heard about 10 Things I Hate About You, I've never gotten around to seeing it. Haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. I was really looking forward to The Dark Knight, because having seen the trailers, and peoples reaction to his casting, I figured it would be the best first impression I could get off him.

My housemate who is a big movie-buff says he's never seen Heath in anything he didn't like. That puts him right up there with Christian Bale and Ed Norton in my book. It's a real shame to lose talent like that..

Well, I thought Monster's Ball was an overrated piece of crap, but that had nothing to do with Heath Ledger, who did a good job in it.

In fact, I don't think acting was a problem in that movie at all...or casting. It was pacing, mostly. The movie was boring as hell.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »
    I don't think people realize that the WBC consists of the crazy Reverend Phelps and his entire family. There are only a handful of members that aren't directly related to the man.

Additionally, a number of them have law degrees, and an almost "evil genious" way of twisting and bending the law to serve their own needs.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    whitey9 wrote: »

Additionally, a number of them have law degrees, and an almost "evil genious" way of twisting and bending the law to serve their own needs.

Yeah, papa Fred was an attorney and a few of his kids followed in his footsteps I believe.

In a bit of irony, Fred used to be a civil rights lawyer and was responsible for overturning Jim Crow laws.

Marathon on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It was strange seeing two British made documentaries about the group on tv in a relatively short space of time. Especially with the polar opposite methods employed by each one.

I realise that this post is useless but I thought I'd share.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    It was strange seeing two British made documentaries about the group on tv in a relatively short space of time. Especially with the polar opposite methods employed by each one.

I realise that this post is useless but I thought I'd share.

There were two? I saw the hour long one with the BBC - the fellow had black hair and wore glasses - but who made the other one? The BBC again?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    10 Things I Hate About You was on today.

Was sad. =/

They aired this on purpose, of course.

I made it my business to watch the SAG awards (even put it on my calendar) and I still forgot. And I'm not one to watch things on YouTube. Its just not the same, watching a video in low quality in small box size in front of your computer.
    Hewn wrote: »
    I want to see this on YouTube now

*adds that to the list onto why I don't fancy YouTube.

bychance on