As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just bought a PS3, having buyers remorse

ToniousTonious Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
I have a 360 so I was one of those people who said they'd wait til a really good game came out to justify my purchase of a PS3. Well, there hasn't really been a PS3 game I've seen that made me go "OMG, GOTTA HAVE IT!". What made me buy a 360 was being thoroughly impressed by Gears of War. Can't say the same about the PS3. I'm not sure what it is but after I bought it instead of having that "Can't wait to get home and hook this bad boy up" feeling, I had a "Did I really need to spend that much on this thing?". I bought the 80gig version with a copy of Uncharted since I've heard so many good things about it. I'm not sure what it is that's making me feel thing way. I guess maybe it's the money, I just bought a 46" LCD from Circuit City with that special they were having, 0% interest for 36 months, which also applied to my PS3 purchase. I'm just wanting some feedback, if I feel this way should I just return it and get them to credit my card back? It's sitting here infront of me, all I've done is opened it and peeked inside. (Also pretty pissed off that it doesn't come with an HDMI cable and I have to buy some seperately. From what I heard they aren't cheap either.) Or should I just hang onto it in the hopes that I'll get over this remorse feeling? There are some good games coming out later this year...

Tonious on

• Options
    WembleyWembley Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't really have anything to say in regards to whether you should return the ps3 or not, but I do know that you can get HDMI cables from newegg for much cheaper than retail. They're generic brand cables but the reviews are good, so it might be worth it.

Wembley on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd return it until you know for sure. With the way Sony's releasing new SKUs every month, you'll never know when a nicer model may just pop into being as well.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I say keep it. Uncharted is all sorts of awesome. The PS3 really does have a lot of solid titles right now and I have been loving mine way more than I expected. On the other hand I haven't turned it on for over a week just due my backlogue on the 360. So I understand a bit where you are coming from.

corin7 on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tonious wrote: »
    It's sitting here infront of me, all I've done is opened it and peeked inside.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure opening it means you can't return it. Or at least return it without some sort of restocking fee.

That said, the major benefit of an 80GB PS3 now as opposed to buying a different one now is that you're guaranteed PS2 backwards compatibility, which is apparently in question for future PS3 models. You might be forsaking cooler features/hard-drive space in future models, but if you have an extensive PS2 library and like the upscaling, that's one big reason to stick with it now. The PS3 is also by all accounts a stellar DVD and Blu-Ray player.

Also, check monoprice.com for all cable needs ever. An HDMI cable will probably run you about $5 with shipping.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wembley wrote: »
    I don't really have anything to say in regards to whether you should return the ps3 or not, but I do know that you can get HDMI cables from newegg for much cheaper than retail. They're generic brand cables but the reviews are good, so it might be worth it.

MONOPRICE.

MONOPRICE.

MONOPRICE.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Monoprice.

Note: I have ordered a ton of stuff from them for insanely cheap, and have consistently been impressed. I'll never buy cables anywhere else.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll second Monoprice being excellent.

I ended up picking up the PS3 HDMI(for use on a standalone dvd player) cords for $10 shipped on amazon since I have prime.

solsovly on
  • Options
    DerigorDerigor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Agreed'd with above. my PS3 is primarily my dvd/blu ray player... since the firmware updates keep it able to play all blu-ray titles and the upscaling on it is dang good on dvd's/ps2 games.
    Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and warhawk are pretty killer. Mosto f the multiplatform games I buy on my ps3 (it helps me justify the purchase more rofl). I only have one game for my 360 and thats CoD4 only cause most of my friends cant afford ps3's yet.

Eye of Judgement is bad ass even if you buy it just for the camera... burnout + camera = win.

good titles on the psn store to check out, everyday shooter and super stardust are pretty rad.

It should be a good year assuming all their titles come out. Metal Gear. nuf said.

Of course I bought my ps3 for 599 back in the day so I feel kinda silly, but a 65 dollar 250 gig HD in that beast and its a good media server (now with divx support in the xmb :).
    I had buyers remorse for like a week, until I realized how awesome the damned thing is for the price... im used to spending 500 bucks on a video card for my pc, so something that is effectivly my media center isnt bad for the price....

monoprice for hdmi cables, dont give in and buy one like me cause you couldnt wait for delivery!!!!

Derigor on
    PSN: Derigor
    A hulk's power is jumping.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dammit Ronen! I was going to post that!

Also: If you open it, you can return it. You can't return software, however.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would return it. Rather, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

I only recently bought a 360, and it was because of Mass Effect, and in anticipation of GTA IV. Also because a few friends have 360's, but I don't know anyone with a PS3.

Anyway, something with that high a price tag, I need to know in advance that I'm going to be happy with it.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, you have 14 days till you have to return the system. So open it up and rent a game. Try it out. If you don't like it, return the game to the movie rental place... And then return the PS3 to CC.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DerigorDerigor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have slowley converted all my friends into buying ps3's... When you throw up something like mass effect on the 360 in 1080i, then flip to the ps3 input with something like oh say.. heavenly sword.... when you compare the facial animations... it really makes my 360 look likea homeless dog on its last leg (the other 3 legs got lost when it was hit by a truck fyi). course thats like cheating.
    That and I never new my friends where such card nerds, when they saw eye of judgement they crap themselves... course we were drunk, and licking the 3d monsters was fun for some reason...
    the ps3 is like a sleeping monster, while the 360 is like a beast surrounded by angry villagers imo.

Derigor on
    PSN: Derigor
    A hulk's power is jumping.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So on that Monoprice page, which cables should I get for my PS3? I figure I'll give it a week to see if I change my mind. Worst case scenario I return the PS3 and trade in Uncharted for credit towards something else.

Tonious on
  • Options
    BinaryBinary Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    geeks.com. Just bought some 10 food HDMI cables from them for $6 each, using them to connect my Blu-Ray player and 360 to my new receiver and the receiver to my TV. Also got a 12 foot DVI-to-HDMI cable to hook up my DVR PC for something like $12.

Binary on
    binary101010.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Derigor wrote: »
    I have slowley converted all my friends into buying ps3's... When you throw up something like mass effect on the 360 in 1080i, then flip to the ps3 input with something like oh say.. heavenly sword.... when you compare the facial animations... it really makes my 360 look likea homeless dog on its last leg (the other 3 legs got lost when it was hit by a truck fyi). course thats like cheating.
    That and I never new my friends where such card nerds, when they saw eye of judgement they crap themselves... course we were drunk, and licking the 3d monsters was fun for some reason...
    the ps3 is like a sleeping monster, while the 360 is like a beast surrounded by angry villagers imo.

Lol that is not a good comparison between the 360 and PS3. Heavenly Sword does look amazing. But they blew their entire budget on making an impressive looking game. Which is also one of the many reasons it is all of 6 hours long. Don't get me wrong it was one of my favorite games of last year but it isn't anything the 360 couldn't do if a developer decided to go that route. WTF does your metaphor even mean. It's better to be a sleeping monster than a beast fighting villagers? Gah brain hurts so badly.

corin7 on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well, you have 14 days till you have to return the system. So open it up and rent a game. Try it out. If you don't like it, return the game to the movie rental place... And then return the PS3 to CC.

This right here, without a doubt.

Rent a game and give it a try. You have a time period within which you can return it, so don't take anyone elses opinion, just rent a couple games, play around with the PSN demos you can find on the store (full english Pixeljunk Monsters demo on the Japanese store btw) and see what you think about all of it yourself.

I mean hell, you bought it on credit, you'll have the card a few months down the line if something takes your interest more then, too. So give a couple rentals a try, and return it if they don't grab you, and get it again later once you see a bit more that grabs your interest.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wait wait wait...

You have a 46" LCD, a PS3, and Uncharted. And you haven't even played it yet?

Open those fuckers up. Come back to this thread in 10-12 hours when you've played through Uncharted, try and tell us you've got buyer's remorse then. (I'll give you a hint: Gears of War + Pretty = Uncharted combat)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Your comparing the visuals of a 40+ hour long RPG to the visuals of an 8 hour action game? Really?

Heavenly sword is very visually impressive, but out of all the quality games you could pick to show your PS3 it's probably one of the poorer ones. I'd show off Folklore for it's unique art style and Uncharted for it's awesome graphics if I was trying to pimp my PS3 to someone. Or even Ratchet and Clanks first level, that blew me away the first time I seen it.

Overall though, I don't think it's leaps and bounds better visually than any 360 game. Not yet anyways.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    (I'll give you a hint: Gears of War + Pretty = Uncharted combat)

This is true.

I like to think of Uncharted as Prince of Persia + Gears of War combat. It's fantastic, and almost worth owning a PS3 for alone.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So on that Monoprice page, which cables should I get for my PS3? I figure I'll give it a week to see if I change my mind. Worst case scenario I return the PS3 and trade in Uncharted for credit towards something else.

CC will not give you credit towards anything in the store, only that game again. I'd recommend renting a game that way you're not out the $30 or so they'd give you at EB.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

This is true.

I like to think of Uncharted as Prince of Persia + Gears of War combat. It's fantastic, and almost worth owning a PS3 for alone.

If I didn't already have one, and I played Uncharted at someone's house, I'd go and buy a PS3 for it.

It's that awesome.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

This is true.

If I didn't already have one, and I played Uncharted at someone's house, I'd go and buy a PS3 for it.

It's that awesome.

People said that to me about God of War, but I ended up breaking the disc in half and pushing it out of my memory. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm waiting for the games before I buy one, it's a "no FFXIII, no MGS4 = no sale" for me thing, but you might as well have bought it, because the games really seem to be coming, and it's kind of inevitable (my purchase of it anyway).

Also, BluRayz I guess.

But yeah, if backwards compatability means anything to you, I wouldn't return it. Doesn't seem future iterations will have... that.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Re: HDMI Cables

I've read that since HDMI is a digital signal instead of analog, "signal quality" can be roughly equated with "Power Goblins". Either the signal gets there or it doesn't.

So don't buy expensive HDMI cables!

MoreYouKnow.jpg

Antishow on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I have to repeat the sentiment that the comparison between Heavenly Sword and Mass Effect is absolutely retarded on the grounds that both games' plots and animation were developed for different purposes around each game.

When you have cutscenes that total less than what a couple of hours for an entirely pre-made set of cutscenes in a ~6 hour action game versus an RPG with over 30 or 40 hours of gameplay with branching scenarios and customizable characters, you're going to have to develop a system in the latter to accomodate a whole range of animation while saving yourself the time and money to make it feasible; whereas with Heavenly Sword, you can just dump a large amount of your budget on pre-set, unchanging cutscenes and use higher-detail models and textures than the rest of in-game scenes and focus an enormous amount of resources - arguably at the expense of other aspects - to achieve this quality of animation, all for a total amount of time that is less than 6 hours (and even far less than that for just the cutscenes) of time.

Besides. HS may have looked good, but its framerate also suffered.

Seriously. Use Uncharted for a graphics reference.

There is no reason a 360 developer could not reproduce the quality of animation and resolution of Heavenly Sword. It's just that 360 developer has not decided to make a game in which they focus so much of their resources on cutscenes.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CaptarcherCaptarcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Keep it, and check this out.

Playstation Home

Its gonna be free man, that got me excited. I also thought ahead to the next Final Fantasy. Microsoft is a license whore, while Sony basically goes. "what? you want to have a game on our console? sure!" I dont know, I like my ps3 but i'm still a PC man.

Captarcher on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'd return it until you know for sure. With the way Sony's releasing new SKUs every month, you'll never know when a nicer model may just pop into being as well.

Sony also keeps ripping features from their PS3, too. I'm glad I got the 60GB, myself, with hardware BC.

So I say keep it. Rumor has it 80 gigs might go away, which means no more BC (if that's important enough).

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also, you'll be ready for MGS4 when it comes out. I used to be one of those people who was like "MGS4? Meh, who cares?" Until I saw a video of it in action (hilariously enough, it was brandon's music vid). Really. Watch a video of MGS4, then hug your PS3 and never let go.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Everyday Shooter makes the PS3 worth it (for me).

This is simultaneously a good thing and a bad thing.

Antishow on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I appreciate all the input, going to hook it up right now. (just got back from the grocery store). But to my earlier question, which HDMI cable should I get from Monoprice? Or should I get one of those 20 dollar ones from NewEgg?

Tonious on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Antishow wrote: »

I agree. I love it almost as much as geo wars. There really are a ton of good reasons at this point.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I appreciate all the input, going to hook it up right now. (just got back from the grocery store). But to my earlier question, which HDMI cable should I get from Monoprice? Or should I get one of those 20 dollar ones from NewEgg?

edit: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=1 is in stock.

urahonky on
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a 360 so I was one of those people who said they'd wait til a really good game came out to justify my purchase of a PS3. Well, there hasn't really been a PS3 game I've seen that made me go "OMG, GOTTA HAVE IT!". What made me buy a 360 was being thoroughly impressed by Gears of War. Can't say the same about the PS3. I'm not sure what it is but after I bought it instead of having that "Can't wait to get home and hook this bad boy up" feeling, I had a "Did I really need to spend that much on this thing?". I bought the 80gig version with a copy of Uncharted since I've heard so many good things about it. I'm not sure what it is that's making me feel thing way. I guess maybe it's the money, I just bought a 46" LCD from Circuit City with that special they were having, 0% interest for 36 months, which also applied to my PS3 purchase. I'm just wanting some feedback, if I feel this way should I just return it and get them to credit my card back? It's sitting here infront of me, all I've done is opened it and peeked inside. (Also pretty pissed off that it doesn't come with an HDMI cable and I have to buy some seperately. From what I heard they aren't cheap either.) Or should I just hang onto it in the hopes that I'll get over this remorse feeling? There are some good games coming out later this year...

all these answers AND MORE in the 80 other threads covering this same topic

.la1n on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Re: HDMI Cables

I've read that since HDMI is a digital signal instead of analog, "signal quality" can be roughly equated with "Power Goblins". Either the signal gets there or it doesn't.

So don't buy expensive HDMI cables!

However, if you go with a cheap enough cable you actually can get interference even on a digital signal, so you don't necessarily want to go with the cheapest cable you can find either, especially for longer runs.

I mean yeah, if you spend $50 on a 6' cable you're an idiot...but once you get to the other extreme an extremely shitty cable can have a negative impact.

Or put another way, while a digital signal is an either "it gets there or doesn't" thing, cheaper cables can increase the probability of "doesn't."

mcdermott on
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    corin7 wrote: »

I agree. I love it almost as much as geo wars. There really are a ton of good reasons at this point.

Throwing in some more games into the pile: Super Stardust HD (Geowars style shooter++) and Pixeljunk Monsters (Tower defense++) are both excellent games that look great and have lots of replayability for a reasonable price.

Edit: I also have to add that PSP Remote Play with Divx support, while not exactly important to everyone, has singlehandedly justified my PS3 purchase. Having the ability to view my media from my NAS drive and play PS1/PSN games over wifi hotspots with reasonable quality, even while I was on vacation in Japan, is nothing short of amazing.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yah but didn't you have to leave your PS3 on all the time to do that?

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Hopefully once they drop a 100+ gigger on us, I can find a 20 Gig machine for cheap.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    mr_ekim wrote: »
    corin7 wrote: »

Throwing in some more games into the pile: Super Stardust HD (Geowars style shooter++) and Pixeljunk Monsters (Tower defense++) are both excellent games that look great and have lots of replayability for a reasonable price.

Edit: I also have to add that PSP Remote Play with Divx support, while not exactly important to everyone, has singlehandedly justified my PS3 purchase. Having the ability to view my media from my NAS drive and play PS1/PSN games over wifi hotspots with reasonable quality, even while I was on vacation in Japan, is nothing short of amazing.

That works well for you? I've tried on a few occasions now to watch stuff over wireless with remote play from a couple rooms away from my PS3, and the video playback through remote play on my PSP is chunky as hell.

Aoi on
  • Options
    SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    gah, i just got the 80 and i feel the same exact way. i got it because blu-ray has all but won the format war, and after selling my HD-DVD player (i got the $100 deal a few months back, and made money on it after selling it) i tried going back to DVD's and thought it was horrible, so i said, fuck it, i'll just get a PS3, since i have noticed that every time a game comes out i still want it for the 360 instead (including burnout paradise) as i know more people with the system and i dont know, i find achivments to be kind of fun after you have beaten the game... adds to replay value.

any-who, it plays movies fine, but at the same time PSN sucks, there is one game that ive rented thus far and really enjoyed (ratchet and clank) and about 7 that were big names that were obviously not worth a purchase. and i dont know... from what i was reading on PS3 forums it really sounded like the PS3 was catching up, but i think theres a better chance that these people own a system that doesnt have much going for it in the way of gaming... which sucks because i took thier word on it that it was really doing well...

oh well im holding on to it, as i still want to watch HD movies with my netflix account. i just wish there was more out for it at the moment... i guess in a year i'll probably be happier...

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yah but didn't you have to leave your PS3 on all the time to do that?

It'll switch on when you're trying to connect, and you can turn it off through your PSP as well, when you're done.

Aoi on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Of course I bought my ps3 for 599 back in the day so I feel kinda silly, but a 65 dollar 250 gig HD in that beast and its a good media server (now with divx support in the xmb :).

Where did you get a 250GB hard drive for $65?!

I paid $100 for a 120GB when I bought it (60G version, July 2007).

phekno on
    steam_sig.png