As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] GMod - Where grown-ass people play with dolls.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It was love.
    spin3zz0.jpg
    spindc8.jpg
    spin2bq8.jpg

It wasn't until after I posted this that I realized this would have taken a whole lot LESS time and looked better if I just did it in a TF2 map, instead of building a set on GM_Construct using TF2 props.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That is marvelous.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is one I did the last time gmod had a G&T thread, which judging by the modified time on this file was in May 2005.

http://xzzy.org/files/games/hl2/talkshow.jpg

I started another one, with Alyx and Barney having a domestic dispute, but apparently never finished it:

http://xzzy.org/files/games/hl2/dispute/

xzzy on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have to find and post the ones I did years ago when this shit came out. I actually got props from Garry himself on the goatse parody I did, I also did an interview with him just before he got reeeeally big and in a stroke of genius I recreated parts of the interview in G-Mod to great effect.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bought the game after I had fun with the free version. The purchased version runs a lot worse than the free one did. I had to turn everything down to low and stop running it in widescreen mode. Is there some reason for this?

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    xzzy wrote: »
    I started another one, with Alyx and Barney having a domestic dispute, but apparently never finished it:

http://xzzy.org/files/games/hl2/dispute/

Oh, wow I know what that's like except instead of being dead and bloody I never saw her again. Good time.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Some shots from not too long ago
    gmconstruct0009qg0.png
    The spy is easily the most fun model to pose

gmconstruct0008ah0.png
    I saved Grigori's facial expression under the preset "How you doin'"

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    Bought the game after I had fun with the free version. The purchased version runs a lot worse than the free one did. I had to turn everything down to low and stop running it in widescreen mode. Is there some reason for this?

I'm pretty sure GMod 10 runs on the latest source engine that came out with Orange Box, whereas gmod9 is running the older version.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    SoaL wrote: »

I'm pretty sure GMod 10 runs on the latest source engine that came out with Orange Box, whereas gmod9 is running the older version.

Okay. That makes sense. I'll have to play with you all sometime. I'm crap at making anything though.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Try putting -dxlevel 81 in your Steam launcher options, by right-clicking on the game, going to Properties and clicking Set Launch Options. This forces the game to run in DirectX 8 mode instead of DX9, which can increase your game's performance. At the very least, it makes TF2 in my laptop go from choppy to smoooth as butter. YMMV.

(Note: if it works, it'll reset your resolution very low every time the game is started; to fix this, run -width #w -height #h where #w is your desired width and #h is your desired height (duh). For example, my launch options are: -dxlevel 81 -height 800 -width 1280)

freakish light on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Try putting -dxlevel 81 in your Steam launcher options, by right-clicking on the game, going to Properties and clicking Set Launch Options. This forces the game to run in DirectX 8 mode instead of DX9, which can increase your game's performance. At the very least, it makes TF2 in my laptop go from choppy to smoooth as butter. YMMV.

(Note: if it works, it'll reset your resolution very low every time the game is started; to fix this, run -width #w -height #h where #w is your desired width and #h is your desired height (duh). For example, my launch options are: -dxlevel 81 -height 800 -width 1280)

Actaully, once you run a steam game with the -dxlevel flag once the dx level stays even after you take it out of the launch options untill you go back and tell it to use a different dx level. So you can just start the game once with dxlevel 81, set your video options, exit the game, remove the -dxlevel flag and the settings should stick. (they do for me)

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah, that's cool. I guess I can take those out now, thanks.

-novid rocks, though.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

That really helped! Thanks so much!

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    anyone up for some building?

Figgy on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorry for the delay, having some server problems. I got it all set up and I thought running fine, but it's not showing up on the list nor can I access it by IP. I need to get my all-knowing network-god friend to take a look at it. Hopefully it'll be up an running int the next few days.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Cool beans.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's really good to hear about the server, I've only just started experimenting with Gmod beyond silly things... and one thing I'm curious about is the teeter totter prop and it's stand... I can weld the stand to the ground easy, but how can I stick the teeter totter to the stand without gluing it in one position?

I guess I don't know enough about constraints yet, but I'd like it to operate like a real seesaw.

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mightyhog wrote: »
    It's really good to hear about the server, I've only just started experimenting with Gmod beyond silly things... and one thing I'm curious about is the teeter totter prop and it's stand... I can weld the stand to the ground easy, but how can I stick the teeter totter to the stand without gluing it in one position?

I guess I don't know enough about constraints yet, but I'd like it to operate like a real seesaw.

I attach things to things and fail miserably at doing anything. Oh well. It's fun.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Well, the most ghetto-est of ways would be just tying it down in the middle with really short ropes.

But I highly recommend leaving that damn teeter totter alone.

Destroyer of worlds, I tells ya.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    For teeter totters, just make your own with other, less awkward, props.

Figgy on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Try using "easy ballsocket" constraints on the part you want to be the axis. It may wobble from side to side, but you can fix that with some normal ballsocket constraints.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay, having some server problems. I got it all set up and I thought running fine, but it's not showing up on the list nor can I access it by IP. I need to get my all-knowing network-god friend to take a look at it. Hopefully it'll be up an running int the next few days.

Just out of curiosity, is this a server you are renting or a spare box you are setting up on your home connection?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Just out of curiosity, is this a server you are renting or a spare box you are setting up on your home connection?

It's a server we rented for web hosting/ game server purposes. We've been sitting on it trying to figure out what game to put on it, since we all sorta got out of online gaming a bit. We all just got into garrysmod (well all just bought 10), so we decided to set this up.

Still working on the server, hopefully it'll be up any time now, just tweaking the final things. I never realized how much of a pain in the ass setting up a dedicated server could be.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Well, the most ghetto-est of ways would be just tying it down in the middle with really short ropes.

But I highly recommend leaving that damn teeter totter alone.

Destroyer of worlds, I tells ya.

Another way would be using an axis weld on the side of the seesaw to the side of some kind of pole, at whatever height you want it at. If you put it up too high, though, it'll just become a windmill.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is one of the best things GMod has ever been used for.

Jesus that was priceless.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Server status? I want to take my flying watermelon rocket to new heights.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm at college right now, but it should be up right now. But I will warn you that it will probably be rather unstable for the next day or two as we get it set up fully. I swear the server-gods do not want this.

I can only give you the name from here though, I'll be on later with the IP.

Name: UEAK/PA Super Secret Russian Missle Base
    Password: wang

Oh, and might I also add, not all the prop are installed yet, nor maps, so I think it's just set up on GM_Construct right now.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    *applause*

Good show! I'll definitely be in there later tonight.

Food on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm at college right now, but it should be up right now. But I will warn you that it will probably be rather unstable for the next day or two as we get it set up fully. I swear the server-gods do not want this.

I can only give you the name from here though, I'll be on later with the IP.

Name: UEAK/PA Super Secret Russian Missle Base
    Password: wang

Oh, and might I also add, not all the prop are installed yet, nor maps, so I think it's just set up on GM_Construct right now.

I don't see it on the list
    (hiss, boo)

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    I am very sorry... I apparently lied.

It WAS up.... but it apparently isn't anymore. Have to wait to talk to the server owner later on tonight. Sorry guys, I'm a worthless sack of crap.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I am very sorry... I apparently lied.

It WAS up.... but it apparently isn't anymore. Have to wait to talk to the server owner later on tonight. Sorry guys, I'm a worthless sack of crap.

ROOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRR

ME WANT SERVER
    Take your time, you're still awesome for trying.
    But seriously, hurry up.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't get it. Why do 90% of the servers out there consist of idiots throwing shit at you or shooting you with the flechete gun? Why do you pay $10 to jump on a sandbox/construction server and just fuck with people? Wouldn't your trigger-happy endeavors find more solice on a deathmatch game?

Like, I join an empty server and start building something, and within 20 minutes some asshat hops on and starts spawning tons of shit on me.

Thanks. I really was hoping someone would drop a cargo container on my shit today.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why do 90% of the servers out there consist of idiots throwing shit at you or shooting you with the flechete gun? Why do you pay $10 to jump on a sandbox/construction server and just fuck with people? Wouldn't your trigger-happy endeavors find more solice on a deathmatch game?

Like, I join an empty server and start building something, and within 20 minutes some asshat hops on and starts spawning tons of shit on me.

Thanks. I really was hoping someone would drop a cargo container on my shit today.

People pay 15 bucks a month after buying a 50 dollar MMO and screw with people all day.'

It's not too much different. >.<

Really you need to find a server that specifically mentions Build Only, especially a clan server. The REAL key is, though, is that whatever server you're on needs an active admin, or else you're boned.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »

People pay 15 bucks a month after buying a 50 dollar MMO and screw with people all day.'

Really you need to find a server that specifically mentions Build Only, especially a clan server. The REAL key is, though, is that whatever server you're on needs an active admin, or else you're boned.

At least in the case of an MMO, there are repercussions involved. In Gmod, if there are no admins on you pretty much have to just go find another server. You can't go do another quest, visit another zone, or find another group to play with.

I've found myself playing Single Player in Gmod because I've been so frustrated with asshattery all night long.

"Ooooh. You've welded a dock pole to my shit. Thank you ever so much. What's this? A nuke. Splendid."

Figgy on
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nekro wrote: »
    Sacred Cow wrote: »
    This was linked on Joystiq a few days ago. Its a reenactment of some fan fiction written by a 9 year old.

I can say, without a doubt, that is the best use of Gmod and retarded fanfiction ever to be committed to film.

Thank you.
    This, so much. I almost peed myself watching. My cursor hit the 'favorite' button quick as a jackrabbit and fox-sneaky. Also, I want his motorcycle.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

At least in the case of an MMO, there are repercussions involved. In Gmod, if there are no admins on you pretty much have to just go find another server. You can't go do another quest, visit another zone, or find another group to play with.

I've found myself playing Single Player in Gmod because I've been so frustrated with asshattery all night long.

"Ooooh. You've welded a dock pole to my shit. Thank you ever so much. What's this? A nuke. Splendid."

If I sit down in a dingy dark parking lot at 1 am in san fransisco, and get angry when a pimp shoots my lego castle with his glock, im a fool.

/reallyfunnyimage

anyways, find a dedicated server for builders. you are gonna find griefers anywhere there arn't admins.

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sueve wrote: »

If I sit down in a dingy dark parking lot at 1 am in san fransisco, and get angry when a pimp shoots my lego castle with his glock, im a fool.

/reallyfunnyimage

anyways, find a dedicated server for builders. you are gonna find griefers anywhere there arn't admins.

So you're likening public Gmod servers to a ghetto parking lot at night? Doesn't that just support my frustration?

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm trying to get into Spacebuild a bit. It seems like a really cool little gamemod. Today I made a ship that I flew into space.. I even managed to have some air up there. Then, a romulan vessel blasted me and I spiraled out of control. When I tried to fly back to Earth I was underneath the map... weird stuff.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm trying to get into Spacebuild a bit. It seems like a really cool little gamemod. Today I made a ship that I flew into space.. I even managed to have some air up there. Then, a romulan vessel blasted me and I spiraled out of control. When I tried to fly back to Earth I was underneath the map... weird stuff.

Yeah, the whole planets being flat maps thing turned me off from space build. Now if someone could figure out a way to do planets ala Mario Galaxy style in source it would be awesome.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Couple shots of the ferris wheel I made a little while back that I recently rediscovered on my Adv. Duplicator gun. The thing kinda makes me nauseous. >.<

Edit: Guess I should put the pics up.
    ferris.jpg
    wheel.jpg

Edit 2: Oh, and the pods on the arms are axle welded, so they spin around all willy nilly.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg