As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] GMod - Where grown-ass people play with dolls.

• Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    Sueve wrote: »
    Crashmo wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why do 90% of the servers out there consist of idiots throwing shit at you or shooting you with the flechete gun? Why do you pay $10 to jump on a sandbox/construction server and just fuck with people? Wouldn't your trigger-happy endeavors find more solice on a deathmatch game?

Like, I join an empty server and start building something, and within 20 minutes some asshat hops on and starts spawning tons of shit on me.

Thanks. I really was hoping someone would drop a cargo container on my shit today.

People pay 15 bucks a month after buying a 50 dollar MMO and screw with people all day.'

It's not too much different. >.<

Really you need to find a server that specifically mentions Build Only, especially a clan server. The REAL key is, though, is that whatever server you're on needs an active admin, or else you're boned.

At least in the case of an MMO, there are repercussions involved. In Gmod, if there are no admins on you pretty much have to just go find another server. You can't go do another quest, visit another zone, or find another group to play with.

I've found myself playing Single Player in Gmod because I've been so frustrated with asshattery all night long.

"Ooooh. You've welded a dock pole to my shit. Thank you ever so much. What's this? A nuke. Splendid."

If I sit down in a dingy dark parking lot at 1 am in san fransisco, and get angry when a pimp shoots my lego castle with his glock, im a fool.

/reallyfunnyimage

anyways, find a dedicated server for builders. you are gonna find griefers anywhere there arn't admins.

So you're likening public Gmod servers to a ghetto parking lot at night? Doesn't that just support my frustration?

hehe, yeah. I was just imagining GMod in real life. I was agreeing the public no mod servers suck, and responding by saying that you should just try a couple of servers.

Sueve on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why do 90% of the servers out there consist of idiots throwing shit at you or shooting you with the flechete gun? Why do you pay $10 to jump on a sandbox/construction server and just fuck with people? Wouldn't your trigger-happy endeavors find more solice on a deathmatch game?

Like, I join an empty server and start building something, and within 20 minutes some asshat hops on and starts spawning tons of shit on me.

Thanks. I really was hoping someone would drop a cargo container on my shit today.

People pay 15 bucks a month after buying a 50 dollar MMO and screw with people all day.'

It's not too much different. >.<

Really you need to find a server that specifically mentions Build Only, especially a clan server. The REAL key is, though, is that whatever server you're on needs an active admin, or else you're boned.

At least in the case of an MMO, there are repercussions involved. In Gmod, if there are no admins on you pretty much have to just go find another server. You can't go do another quest, visit another zone, or find another group to play with.

I've found myself playing Single Player in Gmod because I've been so frustrated with asshattery all night long.

"Ooooh. You've welded a dock pole to my shit. Thank you ever so much. What's this? A nuke. Splendid."

If I sit down in a dingy dark parking lot at 1 am in san fransisco, and get angry when a pimp shoots my lego castle with his glock, im a fool.

/reallyfunnyimage

anyways, find a dedicated server for builders. you are gonna find griefers anywhere there arn't admins.

So you're likening public Gmod servers to a ghetto parking lot at night? Doesn't that just support my frustration?

hehe, yeah. I was just imagining GMod in real life. I was agreeing the public no mod servers suck, and responding by saying that you should just try a couple of servers.

They do indeed. All the more reason to find a private server for us all to fart around on.

(crickets)

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So how goes the status of the new server? Is it... close to becoming a reality?

...I couldn't play anything all weekend, and now I'm itching for some GMod. It's just a bummer to play alone!

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As I type this I'm doing the final configuring of it and it *should* be up tonight.

I'll stop typing though, and get this server finally set up!

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    InfernalTroutInfernalTrout Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is there a general list of mods people will all be using so we don't get a bunch of big red errors floating around?

InfernalTrout on
    :3
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well I think it only allows what the server has installed, and right now it's going to be the regular hl2 stuff, cs:s, dod:s, and tf2. I'll try to see if I can get Portal stuff aswell.

Also, I put on the Phoenix model pack that is rather popular, which will give us gm_ps_hugeflatconstruct to use.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lemmie know when it is up! I would be delighted to play some GMOD with PAers for once!

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What exactly is the Phoenix model pack? A link would be nice, unless it'll get downloaded automatically when I first play on the server, although that must be a bit of a strain...

EDIT: JUST figured out how to model with hands. Yes, I already have a "Flip the bird" preset.

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mightyhog wrote: »
    What exactly is the Phoenix model pack? A link would be nice, unless it'll get downloaded automatically when I first play on the server, although that must be a bit of a strain...

EDIT: JUST figured out how to model with hands. Yes, I already have a "Flip the bird" preset.

Go on to the GMod forums (google) and look for PHX model pack. It basically adds the most important builiding supplies to GMod, and everyone uses them.

Sueve on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Well I think it only allows what the server has installed, and right now it's going to be the regular hl2 stuff, cs:s, dod:s, and tf2. I'll try to see if I can get Portal stuff aswell.

Also, I put on the Phoenix model pack that is rather popular, which will give us gm_ps_hugeflatconstruct to use.
    make sure to get PHX 2 as well. Wire would be nice too, since it includes the Adv. Duplicator, which allows you to save/load builds in MP.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

make sure to get PHX 2 as well. Wire would be nice too, since it includes the Adv. Duplicator, which allows you to save/load builds in MP.

Mind giving me links to them? The garrysmod forums are rather hard to shuffle through as of late.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got this game like 2 weeks ago and have been pretty much obsessing over it. I have been trying to make a really good plane for the past couple days and haven't really succeeded. It doesn't help that I just got wiremod only to realize my wire thrusters are broken. :/

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ooh, I think I see your server, "UEAK Test 1" right? I take it from the name there'll be a bit more waiting, so don't worry I won't be barging in.

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yup, that'd be it. It's up right now for a few testing purposes. I'm kinda ADDing in and out of working on it, sorry guys. I'm working on getting wire installed onto it right now, though.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I got disconnected- probably due to you two guys stress testing it lol
    I had just driven a few meters in a vehicle, maybe that had something to do with it.

EDIT: Got a second hl2 error, maybe I'll lay off testing the server with you guys for another half hour or so...

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hopefully that bug isn't back. When we first tried starting the server up, whenever we drove a bit, it made you crash. So yeah... sounds like it, but I REALLY hope it's not back.

Edit: did it happen when you hopped in a vehicle and drove again?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ideally for wire you keep it up to date using the svn. How to do that on a server I'm not exactly sure of. I used to use TortoiseSVN, but recently a few specialized GMod tools have cropped up to deal with the fact that many addons use SVN to keep up to date with the constant changes in GMod. I use this but I'm not sure how you'd set it up to work on a server installation.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It appears that Wire is actually a clientside addon, so I think as long as you have it yourself, it should work just fine.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Edit: did it happen when you hopped in a vehicle and drove again?

Nah, the second time I had only been logged onto the server for less than a minute. It was running much smoother, but suddenly crashed again. I'll be trying again soon.

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    nope, wire has to be on the server because all the scripted entities it uses run serverside. Resource Distribution/Life Support and any other addons that add scripted entities or weapons are the same way.

About the only thing that doesn't need to be installed on the server is model packs, I think. I could be wrong though.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    oh, well maybe the adv. duplicator is one of the items that can work without the server having it? I know that atleast showed up for a friend of mine with the wire addon.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well the car definitely seems to be the route of certain crashes. I was messing around, and before quitting I wanted to try out the car again. Things seemed fine for a while, I even attached a rendered "tail" of lololololololol (you know the one)

Pretty soon, it crashed. It COULD have been the tail I added, but it's too much of a coincidence that all my crashes seem to be vehicle related. No joke intended...
    Anyway, I can't wait to play with Arcadians once the server really gets bustling.

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is there any way to make GMod not use the numpad to do stuff (thruster etc?) The Apple wireless keyboard doesn't have one.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Is there any way to make GMod not use the numpad to do stuff (thruster etc?) The Apple wireless keyboard doesn't have one.

Yeah, if you use wiremod, but that's a bit complicated.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Guys. It's not the server's fault. Do NOT spawn the jeep or you WILL crash each and every server you play on.

That is all.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Anyone have any clues as to why my wire thrusters are broken? It is incredibly annoying as there is stuff I want to use them for. They never turn on, even if the debugger says a 1 is being sent to them, no matter what input source, inputs, buttons, pod controllers, nothing. I am fully updated to the svn.

jpeg on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jpeg wrote: »
    Anyone have any clues as to why my wire thrusters are broken? It is incredibly annoying as there is stuff I want to use them for. They never turn on, even if the debugger says a 1 is being sent to them, no matter what input source, inputs, buttons, pod controllers, nothing. I am fully updated to the svn.

Are you sure to set the thrusters to activate when one is sent to them? Because I don't believe they're set to that as default.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    There's nothing in the thruster context menu to change the number which activates it, not for me anyway.

jpeg on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jpeg wrote: »
    There's nothing in the thruster context menu to change the number which activates it, not for me anyway.

Is the force multiplier high enough? It takes whatever number you send to it and multiplies it by the force multiplier value, then uses that force. AFAIK at least.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yes, I've tried both very high and very low and in between values for all three options. It isn't turning on at all, so even if my multiplier was too low it wouldn't matter. It says in the hover tooltip that it is still off, even when it is supposed to be on.

jpeg on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    did you use the wire link tool to link it to a button or numpad input?

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok.... the server was working....

And then I tried to make a server.cfg file for it to default to for the main server settings.

And now it stopped working.

GRAARRRR!!!

Something about cl_interp confusing it or something.... wankers.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Was playing Spacebuild on a decent pub server. Suddenly, some guy comes in with random jibberish as his name. He then went around and put bombs on everyone's shit and blew it up, and continually planted fusion bombs all over the place.

Fun times.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    did you use the wire link tool to link it to a button or numpad input?
    jpeg wrote:
    ...even if the debugger says a 1 is being sent to them, no matter what input source, inputs, buttons, pod controllers, nothing.

jpeg on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I MAY have figured it out, just trying to test out if the config actually properly executed itself.

If this works, we will have a server!!!

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    OK!!! For the love of GMan! We have a server!!!!

IP: 64.85.162.138:27015
    Name: UEAK/PA Super Secret Russian Missle Base
    Password: wang

Map: gm_ps_hugeflatconstruct_v2
    Max Players: 8
    What you'll need to play:
    The server doesn't allow map downloads, so you'll need to get it here.

Only thing not working fully is player damage. For some reason, even though it's set up to allow it, you can't hurt yourself. Havn't had a chance to get someone else in to test if you can kill each other, though.

So, sorry for the long wait, guys. Have fun, and Game On!

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I appreciate you setting it up, and it does work, but I left after I realized there was no advanced duplicator. :/

jpeg on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, it is not 100% operational right now, but I figured it was at its basics enough that it was useful to some people right now.

Sometime within the next couple days I'll be installing wire onto it along with trying to figure out the player damage thing.

edit: I won't be on tonight though, I've had my fill of dealing with this damn server right now. Maybe tomorrow.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am so hitting this up tomorrow night. Thanks much, UEAK.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Normally I'd be on GMod with you all right now, but I have a bit of a problem with running it.

I'm using GMod 9 because Im too cheap to buy 10, and it wont let me on.

It says that no steam content servers are available.

Halp

zanmatto on