As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So this Godhand... I hear it has TWO hands. (PS2)

Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
So yeah basically, I just got Godhand for PS2 since i've been catching up on all the awesome I haven't played since I've not been out much due to illness, etc. Now i'm back wanting to play some awesome, I got a brand spanking new sealed PAL Godhand!

So how many forms of awesome does this game contain, as i'm pretty certain being a CAPCOM game, from Mikami-san, the game will be completely awesome like DMC/RE4...

So what can you guys tell me about this game and why should I play it! 8-)

Also I hear there's a gorilla you beat up... yes/no?

sig.gif
Resident0 on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yes Godhand is a game just about punching people.

It's so good.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I came here to post the exact same thing.

The problem with God Hand is that it's just too awesome.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I hear you can punch people in the face

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God Hand is considerably better than RE4 or DMC, if a little harder to get into.

And it's not just a gorilla. It's a mexican wrestling gorilla.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I hear you can punch people in the face

That's really all you need to know about God Hand.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    God Hand is considerably better than RE4 or DMC, if a little harder to get into.

And it's not just a gorilla. It's a mexican wrestling gorilla.

That does not fully express the awesomeness/campy-ness.
    Its a mexican wrestler in a gorilla costume.

Last Son on
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just played some of it, the only thing I don't agree with is the Level Up thing, what's the point of levelling up if the only thing it does is make you take more damage and make the game harder?

Also... Poison Chihuahua...WTF??

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This trailer pretty much sums up the entire game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuTXPMQxLzE

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You get more gold when you kill enemies at higher levels. So more gold = more moves and power-ups.

And more moves and power-ups = better beat downs.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Resident0 wrote: »
    I just played some of it, the only thing I don't agree with is the Level Up thing, what's the point of levelling up if the only thing it does is make you take more damage and make the game harder?

Also... Poison Chihuahua...WTF??

That's the entire point of the leveling system. The better you do, the harder the game gets. It's about constantly pushing you to your limit.

Also, the poison chihuahuas are awesome, heathen.

yalborap on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's better not to think of the "levels" the same way as you would in other games. It's really just the game scaling to your apparent skill. And the higher the level, the more money you get for things, and the more badass you can feel about doing well.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The credits song in this game is fantastic.

godkz1.jpg

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

I can't speak for RE4, but I found the game far more accessible than Devil May Cry 3, at least. God Hand doesn't have any obtuse timing or combo systems to worry about. Just beat people up however you feel like beating them up. The room for creativity in how you dispatch your foes is, I think, one of God Hand's best qualities.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You will probably hate the first 5-15 minutes, and love every minute after that. If you don't get the battle system down, you will get your ass handed to you relatively quickly by normal enemies.

Freakle on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I've seen all the ENDLESS love this thread gets on here and its obvious its even bigger than I thought if people call it better than DMC & RE. However, why didn't this game sell all that well? I suppose part of the reason is that nothing about the game stood out to me on the shelf. Although the game getting harder when I do well doesn't sound appealing at all to me so I might just pass.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I've seen all the ENDLESS love this thread gets on here and its obvious its even bigger than I thought if people call it better than DMC & RE. However, why didn't this game sell all that well? I suppose part of the reason is that nothing about the game stood out to me on the shelf. Although the game getting harder when I do well doesn't sound appealing at all to me so I might just pass.

Wasn't advertised and is way too different for most normal people. Most of the reviewers looked at it for a few seconds and brushed it off as lame instead of actually playing it.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Poor reviews by poor reviewers did not help the game. But see the Video Gaiden review for a very fair assessment. The game is fucking difficult, no doubt about it, but it's not cheap. When you die, it's because YOU screwed up.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Like No More Heroes different? Because I liked that.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

God Hand has a similar irreverent sense of humor, but it's more off-the-wall and immature than No More Heroes. It never takes itself seriously. And unlike NMH, the violence in God Hand is entirely bloodless, though quite over-the-top.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I haven't actually played NMH, but from everything I've seen, there are definite stylistic similarities.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I think I heard the game be described before as being 'intentionally bad'. As if Clover Studios was making a sort of super-parody game.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rocketlex wrote: »

I haven't actually played NMH, but from everything I've seen, there are definite stylistic similarities.

The trailer posted above definitely reminded me of NMH.

There's a copy of God Hand used for $15 at a video store near my house, I'm seriously considering picking it up because of this thread. And I told myself I'd stop buying games (other than Brawl) for a while. Thanks a lot.

elevature on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God Hand is some of the best $15 you will ever spend

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Heck, even new this game is $20 - a lot of bang for the buck in this game. Any game where you can punch and kick people into outer space has to be good.

And you get to spank girls' bottoms.

Oh, the spanking.

Ahem. What was I saying?

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I absolutley love 2d/3d brawlers and God Hand is my favorite game of all time.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The game is beautiful at pugulistic mayhem. That said, it does have a couple of niggling issues, one of which is the autotargetting of enemies making it slightly awkward if you want to beat down these two lower health thugs with the godhand but no, Gene wants to use it all up on the guy with uber health closer to him.
    It generally results in you needing to back away and carefully whittle down packs of enemies and reposition until Gene starts beating up on the right guy. Or turn awkwardly mid fight and Gene has the turning momentum of a semi trailer. (this is the other niggling issue)

In normal mode it's not that big of a deal, but in hard where every millisecond counts and one combo kills you they have resulted in few moments of unneccessary frustration.
    They are the only real flaws though, and it's not hard to work around them.

Anybody who has issues with plot, graphics and all that meaningless fluff, it's all irrelevant, these are the only annoying gameplay issues I found.

Oh and since I forgot to mention it last thread since it died roughly around the time I got the game myself....when you get the option to mash circle to pummel, spank etc enemies, you can hit every face button on the pad (square, triangle, circle, x) and it all counts as an input. This lets you strum the face of the controller in an alternating fashion and get the speeds you see in youtube videos. The damage and fun difference is noticeable.
    It's also the only way to win the pummel matches with your "rival" in hard mode.

Oh yeah a funny plot related story, spoilers follow:
    After you beat the succubus the first time (her name escapes me at the moment) and she escapes on the bus, my gf who was walking past and stopped to watch the cutscene exclaimed: "A bus???"
    Then Gene said it exactly the same way in the same tone of voice a few seconds later and I couldn't stop laughing for like ten minutes.
    Now every time I watch that scene in my head there's this phantom extra line of dialogue. "A bus??" ... "A bus??"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

Also, the poison chihuahuas are awesome, heathen.

My brother in law and I would spend literally hours betting on the chihuahua races.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I just finished my hard mode runthrough last night, and today sat down to enjoy my deserved rewards...the extra challenges and the interesting god moves which I've been putting off until I finished hard.
    After slogging through that annoying first level, where you have to carefully horde your godhand, I got to the first save point.
    I started some challenges, and on the second challenge I beat everybody up without needing my godhand at all. It filled up just as the last fat guy was about to die in fact. So I thought, what the hey, go godhand and punch him once while in god hand, for style points right?
    You know how Gene does a bit of damage when he unleashes and knocks people back on counterhit? It killed the last guy. Knocked him flying across the arena.
    I love this game.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They certainly picked the wrong Clover game to port to Wii.

Who the fuck wants a boring easy as shit Zelda ripoff when you could have a game about punching people in the face instead?

Honestly now.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Who the fuck wants a boring easy as shit Zelda ripoff when you could have a game about punching people in the face instead?

Honestly now.

They should have put Ōkami, God Hand and Viewtiful Joe all on one disc, with a bunch of bonus content.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Honestly now.

They should have put Ōkami, God Hand and Viewtiful Joe all on one disc, with a bunch of bonus content.

I'd take it, with Okami on the side. Seriously, one furry filled easy ass Zelda game per console.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man that would be good, god hand redux :o

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That'd be good, if only to silence whiners who are incapable of distinguishing between "not for me" and "bad game".

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The thought of there never being a Godhand 2 (come on, set it a few generations later, who cares about time period, its Godhand)for a next gen console so we can beat up even crazier shit in HD certainly makes me want to shed a tear.
    Then I go walljuggle somebody and it goes away for a bit.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kung Fu Jesus on Something Awful is doing a Let's Play.
    The link is to his dailymotion page, so can keep your bitching about not being registered to SA, "Lol, pay for a forum", and any other pithy related comments to a minimum.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lol, pay for a forum.

LewieP on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    That'd be good, if only to silence whiners who are incapable of distinguishing between "not for me" and "bad game".

It would allow us to eliminate anyone who somehow manages to dislike all 3 from the population altogether.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I know it would most likley be more of a gimmick (and I'm not sure about the rules of 'this sould be better on the Wii' issue is) but God Hand on the Wii could be great fun. Instead of a roullette wheel, hold a button and mimmic the motion of the attack you want to select, eg, swing back on the controller for a home run god, yank it backwards for a chain yanker, flick up the controller into the underside of your wrist for a ball buster, do the 'around the world' hand gestures for a shaolin blast, etc. Continuously jabbing the remote forwards to pummel faster would be very fun too.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I need to throw my two cents in this thread, so here goes:
    So I've seen all the ENDLESS love this thread gets on here and its obvious its even bigger than I thought if people call it better than DMC & RE.

The main menu itself makes a bold statement. It's GOD HAND. It's so awesome it needs nothing more. It's intimidating, yet welcoming. It is a game that gives you the opportunity to become the ultimate badass brawler this side of the hemisphere.
    However, why didn't this game sell all that well?

Because people hate fun. I have experienced this first-hand when I saw a boy looking at a Harry Potter game, which was laying there right next to God Hand, right next to it!, and he did not even so much as take the box in his hand. I should've said something.
    I suppose part of the reason is that nothing about the game stood out to me on the shelf.

There is a man punching another man. HARD. Maybe that's the problem with God Hand?
    Although the game getting harder when I do well doesn't sound appealing at all to me so I might just pass.

It scales. It will get easier if you do bad, so just keep at it. As long as you do not go in expecting to mash one button over and over, though that also happens oh god yes!, you will win. And if you do make some progress, you'll get better. You have to opportunity to become the ultimate badass, but some effort is required from you to become one.

tl;dr It has been proven that playing God Hand makes your balls grow.

By the way, I have been recommending this game to every single person I could without being too obnoxious about it, yet to no avail. This is too awesome to remain obscure.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg