As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Receipt Checkers: WTF?!

Tumbler 360Tumbler 360 Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I've been reading stories on Digg about Receipt checkers posted at the exits of stores and most of the stories I read and felt that the author or "victim" is a bit suspect in his motives but at the same time if I were standing at the door and a person refused to show me proof of purchase I don't think I'd have any evidence that he had or had not paid for it so I'd shrug and say I hope he paid for it. (Innocent until proven guilty, right?)

Then I read this (thank Digg):

As I was approaching the door, the receipt checker Bob said, "Do you have your receipt?" To which I responded, "Yes, it's in my wallet" and I kept walking towards the door. Behind me, I could hear him yell "Sir! Sir! I need to see your receipt!", but being an avid Consumerist reader, I knew I didn't need to stop, so I kept walking. Bob ran up in front of me and stood between the slider doors, blocking my exit and budging me back inside. Appalled that the Wal-mart employee had just touched me, I said "excuse me", but Bob refused to budge, demanding again to see my receipt. I attempted to walk around him, but he kept stepping in front of me, and I would bounce off of him. Now, I was bigger than Bob, but I didn't wish to get physical and blow the situation out of proportion.

http://digg.com/business_finance/Detained_and_Harassed_at_Walmart_for_not_showing_a_receipt

Full article if you want more details.

I guess I'm not surprised that the employee did this because his whole purpose of being there is to stop shoplifters from leaving the store...right?

Does this mean everyone is a shoplifter until you show proof of purchase?

I'm curious what the letter of the law says because this story went on to have a random customer wanting to help, convinced this man was trying to steal, and then the employee said he was going to file a police report with the customers license plate number.

Do stores have any legal grounds to press charges if you leave the store without showing proof of purchase on an item they sell? (And it's suspicious to say the least to be walking out of a store without a bag and refusing to show a receipt but that doesn't prove squat)

I understand that stores want to stop people from stealing but is this annoying trend effective? It seems like a pointless check really, I can think of 1000 ways to exploit this person.

Tumbler 360 on

• Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Something happened like this @ an Arizona shopping mall a couple years ago at a women's clothing store, the woman who had her path blocked settled out of court for 40,000 dollars.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Basically the stores have no legal right to stop you or search your person/property, but if you hire some guy at minimum wage and tell him to check everyone who walks by, you figure they know what the law says? All they know is their boss will kick their ass if they don't. They probably figure if they tackle a guy for leaving they might get a raise or something.

And I bet even half the managers don't know or ignore the law themselves.

Scooter on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Basically the stores have no legal right to stop you or search your person/property, but if you hire some guy at minimum wage and tell him to check everyone who walks by, you figure they know what the law says? All they know is their boss will kick their ass if they don't. They probably figure if they tackle a guy for leaving they might get a raise or something.

And I bet even half the managers don't know or ignore the law themselves.
    Holy shit I did not know this.

I can't wait to ignore the guy at Fry's.

Quid on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sounds and awful lot like the guy was trying to provoke the employee by acting like a shoplifter and he got treated like one. Mission accomplished? O_o

They checker shouldn't have touched the guy obviously, but this sounds like nothing more than 2 douchebags butting heads

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If I'm standing in line at the register there in plain sight of the door guy for ten minutes and am wheeling a cart of shit out, all bagged, then obviously I've paid for my stuff.

Now, I once had someone stop me quickly and politely ask to look inside a trash bin I had purchased, but I think that's actually reasonable, don't you?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    Sounds and awful lot like the guy was trying to provoke the employee by acting like a shoplifter and he got treated like one. Mission accomplished? O_o

Yet another reason why I don't like The Consumerist. Yes, I understand that there's nothing that says they have to check, but it's not that much of a fucking inconvenience to have your receipt verified, and it helps deter shoplifting, which keeps prices down. I can't wait to see one of these jackasses try this bullshit at Costco (unlike Wal-Mart, Costco has the legal right to check, unless you want to enjoy a trespassing charge.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It is apparently legal in some areas for store to detain suspected shoplifters. Florida is not one of them, though shoplifters, kids for the most part, do frequently allow themselfs to be detained.

Despite the lack of any sort of law requiring it, it does not mean police officers will not tase your ass if they see you attempting to leave a store while a clerk attempts to stop you. So the one and only time someone actually prevented me from leaving the store I just went to service counter and returned my merchandise and haven't been to that circuit city since.

normally, if I still have my receipt out, I just kinda wave it at them. If the clerk is too stupid to deactivate anti-theft devices, I don't actually stop when the alarm dealie goes off.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They checker shouldn't have touched the guy obviously, but this sounds like nothing more than 2 douchebags butting heads

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

See, what they're counting on is everyone just figuring it's less trouble to show the reciept than it is to not show the reciept. However, if you're a Rights nerd, and as annoying as they might be we're lucky they exist, it may feel important to let the stores know that there is a limit and they can't break the law as far as detaining and searching people. Sometimes people are just in a rush or a bad mood and don't feel like waiting for the door dude to check out the stuff they waited in line for and paid for, and the stores gotta know to let them go.

Edit: Places like Costco have contracts and shit you gotta sign to get in, if I'm not mistaken, so they've got their own rules.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Do stores have any legal grounds to press charges if you leave the store without showing proof of purchase on an item they sell? (And it's suspicious to say the least to be walking out of a store without a bag and refusing to show a receipt but that doesn't prove squat)

No. Once they sell it to you, it's your property. They are no more legally justified in going through the bag than they are going through your wallet/purse.

Edit: this doesn't apply to places like Costco, where part of your membership agreement is them doing a post-register check.

Doc on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    One anecdote of an overzealous receipt checker and the internet is up in arms.

Just show him your receipt. Is it really that difficult for you?

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What about the whole 'management reserve the right upon entering this store to check bags' or whatever?

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    aquabat wrote: »
    What about the whole 'management reserve the right upon entering this store to check bags' or whatever?

That's rarely seen posted in the US.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Doc wrote: »

I'm not sure if it's legally binding even if it is posted. I'm no lawyer, but obviously a sign like "management reserves the right to rape your daughters" doesn't actually give them the right to rape your daughters. There's limits to rights that can be taken from you even in contracts you sign, let alone from a sign someone sticks on a wall.

There was another story like this, I can't remember if I read it on these forums or on Fark or some such, but the door checker actually did literally tackle the customer as he walked through the parking lot, and the manager congratulated him...up until the cop they called actually showed up.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Its pretty much every store in Australia. When I worked at a CD Retail place, we were told though that we werent allowed to detail someone against their will, ever, even if we specifically saw them take stuff. Most people dont know this however, and when we used to bust people for shoplifting they'd lose their shit immediately and do whatever we wanted without objecting.

aquabat on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Constitutional regulations do not apply to businesses, which is why the FBI and CIA have been known to by people's information from those advertising agencies.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Tumbler 360Tumbler 360 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I think this is what confuses me the most, when did it become like shoplifting to not show your receipt when you leave?

I think in this case the guy gave a fairly legit story, I often stick receipts in my wallet, or in my bag so I dont' lose them and I can't tell you how many times I've shoved it in my pocket after the door checker sees it then later it's lost because I didn't stick it someplace safe like my wallet or inside the bag.

I don't think someone walking from the register areas towards the door with an item but does not show a receipt is acting like a shoplifter... Someone walking out the wrong side of the entrance doors with an item and not coming from where the registers are looks like a shoplifter but that doesn't mean he is...

Is this door checker policy a cost saving measure so that they don't need camera's and undercover guys sneaking around? They just stop everyone?

Tumbler 360 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Constitutional regulations do not apply to businesses, which is why the FBI and CIA have been known to by people's information from those advertising agencies.

Eh? Perhaps between private "citizens" you'd have to use words like kidnapping and harassment as opposed to detainment and search, but the inside of a business is not some legal limbo land where laws stop working.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    The practice is usually found in stores in which it isn't exceptionally hard to just toss something into your cart while the stuffs being put back in.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    SteveSSteveS Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A person may not use force or the threat of force, to prevent you from going to a place that you are lawfully allowed to go or to prevent you from leaving a place. A violation of this can be considered the tort of false imprisonment. There is an exception called the shopkeeper's privilege. In a nutshell, a store can use reasonable force to briefly detain a person that they reasonably suspect of theft. The key words being brief and reasonable. This is the common law rule in the US.

A store is certainly within the law to ask you to provide a receipt, but you are not obligated to produce one. Once you have paid for the goods, they are yours. Failure to show a receipt is not a basis for reasonable suspicion, nor is any other lack of compliance. Sam's Club and Costco are slightly different. They have membership agreements that you sign and you consent to the door check. If you do not, then your membership will be revoked.

SteveS on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I think this is what confuses me the most, when did it become like shoplifting to not show your receipt when you leave?

I think in this case the guy gave a fairly legit story, I often stick receipts in my wallet, or in my bag so I dont' lose them and I can't tell you how many times I've shoved it in my pocket after the door checker sees it then later it's lost because I didn't stick it someplace safe like my wallet or inside the bag.

I don't think someone walking from the register areas towards the door with an item but does not show a receipt is acting like a shoplifter... Someone walking out the wrong side of the entrance doors with an item and not coming from where the registers are looks like a shoplifter but that doesn't mean he is...

Is this door checker policy a cost saving measure so that they don't need camera's and undercover guys sneaking around? They just stop everyone?

Noone implied that not showing the receipt makes you a shoplifter, but the guy's item wasn't bagged. Not knowing the layout of the particular walmart we don't know if the receipt checker was eyeing him from across the store while the "victim" paid. For all he knew there was a guy carrying an item out the door who wouldn't let them see his receipt.

Even if it's within his rights not to show the receipt, he obviously was not trying to get out in a timely manner. He wanted drama.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm going on the record as anti-stopping for receipt checks.

What shoplifter tries to hide items in shopping bags as they exit the register area?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Noone implied that not showing the receipt makes you a shoplifter, but the guy's item wasn't bagged. Not knowing the layout of the particular walmart we don't know if the receipt checker was eyeing him from across the store while the "victim" paid. For all he knew there was a guy carrying an item out the door who wouldn't let them see his receipt.

Even if it's within his rights not to show the receipt, he obviously was not trying to get out in a timely manner. He wanted drama.

That doesn't matter, though. It's still his property. Just because he bought it there moments earlier doesn't make it any less so. If you are going to detain someone against their will, you'd better be goddamn sure what you are doing.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

That doesn't matter, though. It's still his property. Just because he bought it there moments earlier doesn't make it any less so. If you are going to detain someone against their will, you'd better be goddamn sure what you are doing.

I agree that the Walmart employee screwed up by detaining the guy. I just have absolutely no sympathy for the shopper in this particular case

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Personally, I've never experienced this. Well, maybe once or twice at Best Buy but it's been a while. In fact, the majority of the places I've been to, people can set off the beeping alarms and keep going and no one even cares. But I'd perfer this didn't become common.

It's not the asking for a reciept that bothers me, it's the stores being too damn stupid to know that they can't physically restrain their customers from leaving. If they're going to do this, they damn well better know how far they can take it. I don't know if there's a "slippery slope" argument to be made here, I doubt any store would go for physical frisking or inspecting people's cars or something, but having a bunch of dudes push me away from the door and make demands of me would be bad enough.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And god forbid the door monkey tries to detain the wrong guy and someone gets hurt.

TL DR on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And god forbid the door monkey tries to detain the wrong guy and someone gets hurt.
    I'm refusing to from now on on the off chance that I can somehow settle out of court.

Or maybe at least get some free shit.

Also to stick it to the proletariat.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm refusing to from now on on the off chance that I can somehow settle out of court.

Or maybe at least get some free shit.

Also to stick it to the proletariat.

You need some kids, cutoff shorts, and a half-shirt.

"I WAHS DETAY-N'D IL-LEGALLY! I'll take a gift card."

TL DR on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    One anecdote of an overzealous receipt checker and the internet is up in arms.

Just show him your receipt. Is it really that difficult for you?

Yes. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and, after waiting for the trailer-trash whale in front of me who took 75 items through the 15-or-less lane, I'm really not looking to wait for father fucking time to get his spectacles and look over my receipt. Take my license plate number, and file a police report, and I'm sure the cops will be as thrilled that you wasted their time as I am that you wasted mine.

But whatever you do, you had better not lay a hand on me. You're a fucking retail employee, not a police officer.

I find the whole thing odd, though, because if there's one thing that was heavily emphasized at every retail chain I've worked at (including Wal-Mart, Target, and JC Penney) it's that you never try and physically detain a suspected shoplifter. Like, ever. Generally their policies allow them to fire you for doing so.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I hate receipt checkers, but one time I was buying shit for a new apartment, and out of it, and the dude ringing me up charged me for three microwaves instead of one. I didn't know why my total was higher than I thought but i was too out of it to deal. The lady checking my receipt noticed it. I had to apologize to her because I acted like a dick when she stopped me. I try to have more patience with them now. \

just sayin...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't understand what receipt checking does except waste time and wages and make me feel like a criminal.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    I don't understand what receipt checking does except waste time and wages and make me feel like a criminal.

I agree completely, but this one saved me a return trip to the store and an hour of scanning through surveillance camera to make sure I actually didn't buy three microwaves because I was being a fucking idiot.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    So being touched by another person is the end of the world, apparently?

ege02 on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Without fail, every single receipt checker I have ever encountered has taken to his job as if he was a fucking bodyguard. Sometimes while trying to dig my receipt out I try to strike up casual conversation, just to make it less awkward, and all they ever do is grunt and nod -- if that. I hate it. Blech.

It also annoys me that they check people at random. I'll see people walk by without a problem, and I go to walk by the guy and out the door and it's all, "STOP I NEED TO SEE YOUR RECEIPT!," and some of the guys don't even check the receipt. Some of them just see if you have one.

Some read it.

Some take it from you and read it.

It's just bullshit because it's like dealing with a security check that, aside from being worthless, you don't know the procedure for and if you act out it just makes you feel and look more like the type of criminal it's meant to stop.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Do they actually catch shoplifters?

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ege02 wrote: »

We were always taught that if we saw someone shoplifting we were to call the police, and if they left before they got there to record their tag number and hopefully get them on camera. We were told NEVER to physically touch the customer for legal reasons. I had a manager that ran down a shoplifter to recover three cheap cordless phones (home phones, not cells) and almost got fired for it. They guy wasn't even charged because they didn't want a lawsuit.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yes. Because when I shoplift, I don't hide items on my person. I conceal them temporarily in a rip in spacetime, only to place them in the shopping bag after purchasing other items.

And I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling door greeters.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What makes touching so god damn wrong?

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yes. Because when I shoplift, I don't hide items on my person. I conceal them temporarily in a rip in spacetime, only to place them in the shopping bag after purchasing other items.

And I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling door greeters.

I am asking for a real answer.

Is there a statistic somewhere regarding the success rate of receipt checkers in identifying shoplifters?

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So being touched by another person is the end of the world, apparently?

We're not worried about "being touched," we are worried about "being detained."

If they don't have the right to do it, then it opens the company up to some pretty severe liabilities.

Doc on