As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unsolved Mysteries: Games That Vanish Off The Face Of The Earth

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    The PSP port came out yesterday apparently, if you have a PSP

Riviera: The Promised Land, PSP - £24.99 delivered
    It's one of the few reasons I'd buy a PSP, actually.

Senshi on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just about anything for the Dreamcast is next to impossible to find in the wild these days. This is really, really frustrating to me because I recently discovered that my cd wallet full of Dreamcast games including Skies of Arcadia (which is really the only one worth mentioning) that I thought I had brought with me to my new house when I got married is nowhere to be found. Nowhere. I have Worms World Party still in the system, thank god I forgot to take it out for once.
    In mid-2004 I went on a Dreamcast kick and picked up my 2nd DC, found my copy of Shenmue, and bought a crapload of DC games and spent the whole summer with my Dreamcast, just giving it love, and it loving me back. Oh, how I miss thee, Omikron, with your crazy, terrible, terrible gameplay, cracked out story and wonderful David Bowie soundtrack. Spiderman, I miss you too, you were the best version of that first wonderful game, pre-franchise rape. And oh, god, the insanely long hours of Worms World Party with my coworkers. Best damn summer I've ever had, before or since, I think. All gone. Except for Worms.

If anyone knows a good place to get DC games on the cheap, let me know. I found Fighting Force 2 at Goodwill the other day. I shed a small tear, that any DC game would end up at Goodwill.

My local Wal-Mart still sells new DC games. There's only a couple and they're not any good but still.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I am proud to this day that I randomly happened upon copies of Rez and Disgaea, on the same day, in the same Gamestop. That was a hundo well spent.

Then I sold them back to a friend of mine for 150. :D

Disgaea 1 or 2?

Also seeing as I saw mention of Jackie Chan Stuntmaster, I had that game too. Bargin bin at the local video store. Sweet! Best four dollar purchase of all time.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I find it weird that a nearby electronics store (Fona, it's a danish electronics chain) has Mario Kart DS and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, but that the EBgames I usually go to has neither of those games.

Peewi on
  • Options
    lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I"ll throw in another MG:PO, I have tried for months to find this game. I've even heard it's the worst MG entry ever. But damns I can't find it anywhere.

Tales of Destiny 2 (PS). I played this once long ago and really loved it, just can't seem to find it nowadays.

Tales of Destiny 2 recently got put out as Tales of Eternia for the PSP. It's Japan and PAL only, but its not too expensive to import.

lessthanpi on
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How the fuck has no one mentioned Xenogears. I remeber finding one way back and buying it for 40 bucks,and then near the end it freezes. No scratches or anything,just freezes. Piss me off.

Im a massive collecter,i have every single wildarms,suikoden,ff,xenosaga (which i dont actually like,but i got them all for 10 bucks each so whatever) and all the breaths of fire and more. The only Crown jewel im still missing is a Snes cartridge of ff6 and a ps1 copy of Wildarms: Alter code F. Oh yeah,and a working last disc of Xeno gears ><
    SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!.

Vytae on
  • Options
    MandoloreMandolore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Oh, and We <3 Katamari is seemingly impossible to find, too.

That's because only a few thousand copies were actually publisied and it sold very quickly.

Has anyone actually seen a copy of the xbox version of morrowind. In my whole life I have only seen one and thats the one I own.

Oh and dreamcasts I have never seen or heard of one in Ireland

Mandolore on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    —Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xenogears isn't that hard to bag. Seriously.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It is,or was without paying way too much. Now that i think about it,the ultimate hard to find game is Sid meiers Alpha Centauri Alien crossfire =/

Vytae on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wario Ware.

Touched, most specifically.

This can be said for most launch/launch-window DS games.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Twin Snakes. I've been wanting to go back through MGS since Brawl was released but don't want to drag my PS2 up to school. Can't say I'm surprised at how rare it is though.

Pikmin 2. I recently decided to finally give this game a shot because I figured it'd be pretty cheap by now. My heart was broken when I started my internet search.

Trauma Center DS. This game never existed. Actually, I saw one copy at TRU last year during their 2 for 1 DS sale. I may have just imagined it though.

That's about all I can think of off of the top of my head. I maintain a list of games I'm looking for but don't have it in front of me.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pikmin 2. I recently decided to finally give this game a shot because I figured it'd be pretty cheap by now. My heart was broken when I started my internet search.
    How cheap did you think it would be? Nintendo games seem to take forever to ever go down in price.

Couscous on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    I cant find Halo for DS anywhere.

I'm pretty sure there's good reason for that.

Actually, there is no good reason for it.

http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2007/10/02/67886/

I'm no halo fan by any stretch, but dammit, that would have been sweet.

Except that it was never a game that was going to see the light of day, as stated in the actual article you posted. I knew about this when it was so-called news and both MS and Bungie were pretty quick to note that it would not be happening.

Thanks. Thanks a lot. What are you going to tell me next? No Tooth Fairy?

I knew it would never come to fruition, hell, they (Nintendo and Microsoft) can't agree on Goldeneye as a VC or Live download. It was a joke. I didn't think anyone would take me seriously.

I had never heard of this before today. And everything I've searched for so just now has had people not saying "i have no idea why it was cancelled" but rather "I can't talk about why it was cancelled".

So there's this awesome DS port of a great multiplayer game that got started and couldn't be developed to completion for some super secret reason.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So after I posted that I couldn't find a copy of Izuna, I went to EB and asked my buddy there if he had seen any, and he dug around in the back and came up with a sealed copy.

So apparently this thread is magic. So I'm also looking for Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and Torneko: The Last Hope. eBay has failed me.

C'mon thread, do your thing.

elevature on
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have checked every store in my area and can't find a copy of Megaman: Powered Up.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bullio wrote: »
    Trauma Center DS. This game never existed. Actually, I saw one copy at TRU last year during their 2 for 1 DS sale. I may have just imagined it though.

Really? I see them all the time where I'm from. I guess there's not much demand for surgery games in NC.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love this thread. Every single post I can go "Have that, have that, could get that for 20 bucks, have that."

So cool.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seconding Rez for PS2, from the previous page. Saw it at a Software Etc. a long time ago but didn't have my wallet on me or something. It might still be there; another store I know has had Romancing SaGa sitting in the used racks for a couple of weeks now.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fuck you guys. I can't find my copy of Tetris DS now. Which one of you stole it.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have checked every store in my area and can't find a copy of Megaman: Powered Up.

Ironically I saw a display with a bunch of PSP games for $14.99 at Target yesterday. It was all shitty garbage: poker games and the like. But there on top was a stack of MM:PU

...I kinda wish I would have picked it up.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    How cheap did you think it would be? Nintendo games seem to take forever to ever go down in price.

I was expecting to find a new copy from anywhere between $30-$40, but was hoping to find a used copy for $20 or less somewhere. Instead it seems to be going for anywhere between $35-$70 used.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Was Messiah ever released? The game where you control a baby angel in a diaper? It had to have been like 10 years ago I heard about it, about how they had come up with a revolutionary algorithm to reduce the number of polygons in a model the further away it was. Never heard about it again.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Got two obscure games for you guys:

Space Station Silicon Valley for the N64 and Rush 2049 for the Dreamcast.

Although I still have the former, my version of Rush 2049 is borked (it's an N64 cartridge version). I've been trying to find some downloadable tracks from that game for years, and it's proven to be all but fruitless.

Rush 2049 wasn't the best racing game, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to dick around with the stunt/battle mode and the 500+ shortcuts each of the tracks seemed to have.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Vytae wrote: »
    How the fuck has no one mentioned Xenogears. I remeber finding one way back and buying it for 40 bucks,and then near the end it freezes. No scratches or anything,just freezes. Piss me off.

Im a massive collecter,i have every single wildarms,suikoden,ff,xenosaga (which i dont actually like,but i got them all for 10 bucks each so whatever) and all the breaths of fire and more. The only Crown jewel im still missing is a Snes cartridge of ff6 and a ps1 copy of Wildarms: Alter code F. Oh yeah,and a working last disc of Xeno gears ><
    SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!.

Make sure you're not looking for Alter Code F. It was just Wild ARMs on the PSX...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shortly before Brawl came out, I referred someone here to a copy of Pikmin 2 for about $25.

Obviously Brawl has upped demand, because prices for it have doubled.

I suppose you could make some solid money speculating in this business.

This would also be the time I brag about my copy of Snatcher for the Sega CD, with the $12.99 pricetag that I paid for it at KB Toys still attached.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm pretty confused as to why I can get new copies of Final Fantasy 8 and 9 on amazon for $20, but if I ever wanna get Final Fantasy VII, I gotta pay around $70.

I mean, are those just leftover copies, or did Squenix reprint 8 and 9? And if they did, why the hell didn't they do the same for 7?!?

Kenninator on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Was Messiah ever released? The game where you control a baby angel in a diaper? It had to have been like 10 years ago I heard about it, about how they had come up with a revolutionary algorithm to reduce the number of polygons in a model the further away it was. Never heard about it again.

I feel like I saw it in stores, but I can't think of where.

EDIT: I guess it was released back in 2000. I don't remember reviews of it either way, so I assume it probably ended up not delivering on all the ambitious promises it made and got a low print run.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kenninator wrote: »
    I'm pretty confused as to why I can get new copies of Final Fantasy 8 and 9 on amazon for $20, but if I ever wanna get Final Fantasy VII, I gotta pay around $70.

I mean, are those just leftover copies, or did Squenix reprint 8 and 9? And if they did, why the hell didn't they do the same for 7?!?
    I think they reprinted 8 because I can walk down to a store and pick up a brand new sealed copy. Same for the FF IV/Chrono Trigger PS1 port thing they did.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I think they reprinted 8 because I can walk down to a store and pick up a brand new sealed copy. Same for the FF IV/Chrono Trigger PS1 port thing they did.

Amazon also has Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy 1 and 2 for the playstation brand new. It just feels so out of the ordinary.

I'm borrowing 7 from a friend right now, but I really take my time with RPGs, so I don't think be able to do the whole thing I think by the time he wants it back. And I don't want to rush, because that's no fun. Easiest way to ruin a game.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Amazon also has Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy 1 and 2 for the playstation brand new. It just feels so out of the ordinary.

I'm borrowing 7 from a friend right now, but I really take my time with RPGs, so I don't think be able to do the whole thing I think by the time he wants it back. And I don't want to rush, because that's no fun. Easiest way to ruin a game.
    I got Chrono Cross a couple months ago and could go pick FF1 and 2 up tomorrow morning. That shop is great for stuff like that. If they had a better selection I would have bought their Dreamcast. Only 2 football games, though.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Grim Fucking fandango. Hard as fuck to find. Anyone who has it usually wants to hold onto it. I saw the OST for it go for 90$ on ebay.

*edit* It seems more common then I though. Maybe the box version is just not easy to find. *shrug*

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Got two obscure games for you guys:

Space Station Silicon Valley for the N64 and Rush 2049 for the Dreamcast.

Although I still have the former, my version of Rush 2049 is borked (it's an N64 cartridge version). I've been trying to find some downloadable tracks from that game for years, and it's proven to be all but fruitless.

Rush 2049 wasn't the best racing game, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to dick around with the stunt/battle mode and the 500+ shortcuts each of the tracks seemed to have.

I don't know if it helps, but the Dreamcast version of Rush 2049 was re-released in Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. I'm not sure how easy it is to find in the wild, but Amazon still has new copies of it for $20.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A local store here has 8 copies of Pikmin 2 for $15. I'd love to get my hands on Space Station Silicon Valley again. I had so much fun with it when I was a kid.

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Space Station Silicon Valley was made by the folks who went on to make GTA wasn't it?

So was Body Harvest, IIRC. Man, I love both of those games to fucking death. I would give a pinky for a copy of Body Harvest.
    Taking the harvester to those fucking russian zombies was epic.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Psi-Ops.

An excellent game for the PS2 & other consoles, but the game left on a minor cliff-hanger, and last we heard of a sequel was probably two-three years ago and there hasn't been anything else about it.

Sanius on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am pretty sure that Psi-Ops got Midway into legal trouble because the 'plot' (if you can call it that) was exactly the same as a book published before the game.

I doubt it will get a sequel.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh dude, dunno if it's 'rare', but I got my hands on Power Stone Collection for PSP, and I am SO happy.
    I've been looking all over.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I feel like I saw it in stores, but I can't think of where.

EDIT: I guess it was released back in 2000. I don't remember reviews of it either way, so I assume it probably ended up not delivering on all the ambitious promises it made and got a low print run.

I remember playing a demo of it. It was interesting; it had some really cool art direction, but I don't remember being blown away by gameplay or story.

Hmm. Remember Omikron: The Nomad Soul? That was a game from around the same time that was supposed to be equally if not more ambitious, and I seem to remember the main knocks against it being that it was a system-crusher, like worse than Crysis, circa 2001. I wonder how that would run on a modern system.

Thing is, I actually bought Omikron at a Half-Price books about four years ago but lost it.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh dude, dunno if it's 'rare', but I got my hands on Power Stone Collection for PSP, and I am SO happy.

Oh, it is rare. There's only one store that I've seen it in. How much did you pay for it? The one I saw was around $15, probably.

Silvoculous on