As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Big Daddies of the Caribbean: Dead Little Sisters

123457»

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A storyline that is both cliché and confusing nonsense, rigid, lifeless character designs that move like robots, an enemy-scaling system that means you can kill demonic warloards with an iron dagger and some patched cloth armor and voice acting that made you feel like you were playing a fan-made mod every time you played the core game are not marginal things.

The only thing Oblivion did right was the enormous sandbox world and the asshole physics and a few small details like the assassin's guild (specifically the entrance hallway looked amazing).

My comments were in reference to comparison with Morrowind, and against that measure, your arguments are the definition of petty and minor.

A storyline that is both cliché and confusing nonsense - yeah, I found the main story constricting and unimaginitive. But, as other people say, there's a bunch of other, interesting content in there. It also ignores the question of gameplay. I mean, do you play GTA to follow the story, or do you play GTA to steal cars and cause havok?

rigid, lifeless character designs that move like robots - Did you even ever play Morrowind?

an enemy-scaling system that means you can kill demonic warloards with an iron dagger and some patched cloth armor - The enemy scaling system had it's faults, but the point of it was that you wouldn't even meet a demon lord until you were equipped with a shiny +4 longsword and packing some serious steel. By default, it was a little easy, but look, there's this nifty difficulty slider, right there on the settings screen. Who knew? The real difficulty is that you'd end up with vague continuity mismatches between the opponents you'd face in the game and the foes you'd expect to face given the demands of the story.

voice acting that made you feel like you were playing a fan-made mod every time you played the core game - because that horrible topical conversation screen was just soooo much better. Again, did you ever play Morrowind?

Both games had their problems. Both games have their strengths. It just seemed to me that people were dismissing one as crap simply because they they preferred the other, when in reality, they are both outstanding, though for different reasons.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fishman wrote: »
    A storyline that is both cliché and confusing nonsense, rigid, lifeless character designs that move like robots, an enemy-scaling system that means you can kill demonic warloards with an iron dagger and some patched cloth armor and voice acting that made you feel like you were playing a fan-made mod every time you played the core game are not marginal things.

The only thing Oblivion did right was the enormous sandbox world and the asshole physics and a few small details like the assassin's guild (specifically the entrance hallway looked amazing).

My comments were in reference to comparison with Morrowind, and against that measure, your arguments are the definition of petty and minor.

A storyline that is both cliché and confusing nonsense - yeah, I found the main story constricting and unimaginitive. But, as other people say, there's a bunch of other, interesting content in there. It also ignores the question of gameplay. I mean, do you play GTA to follow the story, or do you play GTA to steal cars and cause havok?

rigid, lifeless character designs that move like robots - Did you even ever play Morrowind?

an enemy-scaling system that means you can kill demonic warloards with an iron dagger and some patched cloth armor - The enemy scaling system had it's faults, but the point of it was that you wouldn't even meet a demon lord until you were equipped with a shiny +4 longsword and packing some serious steel. By default, it was a little easy, but look, there's this nifty difficulty slider, right there on the settings screen. Who knew? The real difficulty is that you'd end up with vague continuity mismatches between the opponents you'd face in the game and the foes you'd expect to face given the demands of the story.

voice acting that made you feel like you were playing a fan-made mod every time you played the core game - because that horrible topical conversation screen was just soooo much better. Again, did you ever play Morrowind?

Both games had their problems. Both games have their strengths. It just seemed to me that people were dismissing one as crap simply because they they preferred the other, when in reality, they are both outstanding, though for different reasons.

or they were both crap

Brolo on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    this argument worked before GTA IV came out

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    i have never played morrowined and i thought oblivion was crap

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    (addendum)

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Point. I was thinking of GTA3 at the time but haven't yet schooled myself into this brave new world post 29/4.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got a fun mod for Oblivion that essentially gave you the arrows from the Thief games. Nothing more fun that using a noisemaker arrow to draw in all of the enemies in the dungeon to that point then hitting them with a frenzy arrow to start a war.

Or realising that the minotaur charging you is about to make you its bitch so you use a grease arrow to make it take a sliding tumble off a cliff.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oblivion has a story?

Don't think I've ever even started the main quest.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogdanichBogdanich Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

morrowind had that sweet expansion on the big snowy island with pine trees and a cool nord hall where the lead viking didn't want to talk to you ever and the witch women who summoned monsters that would destroy your STR score

I have not yet even played oblivion but the title reminds me of the opening FMV in daggerfall with king Lysandus. Daggerfall is the best TES game so far

shit yes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niU1bRqxrIU

Bogdanich on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I miss the Dark Elves who sound like they had throat cancer.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Nicholas Cage is ugly and should only play depressed drug addicts or alcoholics

He does a very nice amoral armsdealer as well though.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    casper_27dcasper_27d The Friendly Ghost EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Nicholas Cage is ugly and should only play depressed drug addicts or alcoholics

He does a very nice amoral armsdealer as well though.

But even then he does his share of drugs. Mixing cocaine and gunpowder, now that is creative.

casper_27d on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bogdanich wrote: »

morrowind had that sweet expansion on the big snowy island with pine trees and a cool nord hall where the lead viking didn't want to talk to you ever and the witch women who summoned monsters that would destroy your STR score

I have not yet even played oblivion but the title reminds me of the opening FMV in daggerfall with king Lysandus. Daggerfall is the best TES game so far

shit yes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niU1bRqxrIU

fuck that game

fuck that goddamn game in its retarded ass forever

jesus

3000 pointless dungeons does not make a good game

a square mileage roughly equivalent to that of Britain does not make a good game

there is exactly one thing about Daggerfall that was good, and that was the character creation

too fucking bad it was all downhill from there

oh and what the fuck was up with the goddamn skeletons in that game

okay yeah it's a fantasy RPG and therefore you're probably going to fight a few animated skeletons

that's fine

but who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have them scream at you

Shorty on
  • Options
    BogdanichBogdanich Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    there were a lot of monsters that you would associate with a scary noise, you knew what was coming and it would fuck you up

rats, bats, green spiders, big old scorpions, skeletons...

dreughs were dangerous and the slaughterfish were scary because they had like 4 frames of animation

Bogdanich on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Point. I was thinking of GTA3 at the time but haven't yet schooled myself into this brave new world post 29/4.

Note: I actually DID play GTA games for the story (or at least the missions). I got my fill of dicking around with cars and weapons in GTAIII (and to a lesser extent, GTAs I and II). This is why I preferred San Andreas over Vice City, more story and more characters.

I really did like Morrowind a lot, but it got boring and required a lot of determination to follow the plot of that game. A lot of the time questing felt like work, but the game wasn't as open as Oblivion, so I didn't feel so lost. It also seemed to have a lot more personality than Oblivion, partly due I think to the hardware limitations.
    Oblivion tried to make everything super-realistic but in the end it made all the NPCs look lifeless and cold. Less time should have been spent getting the bumb-mapping just right and more time spent with the postures and animations of the characters.

Hopefully the next Elder Scrolls game can take advantage of some euphoria-engine type technology so the movements of the characters seems more natural.

The landscape being generic fantasy universe instead of a marshy/craggy land filled with giant mushrooms and floating jellyfish also helped to make it far less interesting compared to it's predecessor.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck
    Kotaku wrote:
    Move over Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski. Rush Hour franchise helmer Brett Ratner wants to make movies based on video games, too! His interest seems piqued after working on a few ad-type spots for Activision's Guitar Hero. According to Ratner:
    The games business is much more exciting than the movie business right now. I will be doing movies that come from video games.

Cue line about Hollywood unable to make good game movies.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    damnit

why can't directors just design games or something

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck
    Kotaku wrote:
    Move over Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski. Rush Hour franchise helmer Brett Ratner wants to make movies based on video games, too! His interest seems piqued after working on a few ad-type spots for Activision's Guitar Hero. According to Ratner:
    The games business is much more exciting than the movie business right now. I will be doing movies that come from video games.

Cue line about Hollywood unable to make good game movies.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

no

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    J3p wrote: »
    damnit

what are you, new

brett ratner is the very last fucking guy who needs to be designing games

Shorty on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shorty wrote: »
    J3p wrote: »
    damnit

what are you, new

brett ratner is the very last fucking guy who needs to be designing games

i prefer to be called slow

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So now what we need to do is create a new video game. You build a party of various forumers, gamers, and comic book nerds, and the object of the game is to hunt down and savagely beat Brett Ratner to death.

Then Gore Verbinski can make the movie version of it.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg