As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

100 pages of fallout goodness, needs new home!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Of course it's realistic that you can wave an extra shotgun you looted off the liquefied corpse of a town sheriff at some dude and ask him if he wants it in return for something cool, like the packs of pistol ammo he might not need or maybe some stimpacks or perhaps his pants.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Of course it's realistic that you can wave an extra shotgun you looted off the liquefied corpse of a town sheriff at some dude and ask him if he wants it in return for something cool, like the packs of pistol ammo he might not need or maybe some stimpacks or perhaps his pants.

Yeah I'd prefer waving it in his face and suggesting that unless he gives me all his shit it might accidentally go off.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In a conversation between gentlemen, such reminders are unnecessary.

"Shotgun?"

"Shotgun."

"Shotgun?"

"Shotgun."

"Shotgun."

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    So like, massive screenshot leak. I'm not telling you where to find it, or what they look like because I haven't (and won't) look, I want as much to be a surprise as possible.

its.. its already been linked on the last page.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    So like, massive screenshot leak. I'm not telling you where to find it, or what they look like because I haven't (and won't) look, I want as much to be a surprise as possible.

its.. its already been linked on the last page.

Well damn. I'm still not clicking it I want to see everything first hand. Except what we've seen from trailers, seen that already.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, so NMA are fanaticists...but are the mods good? I've got the unofficial 1.3 patch, a mod that upgrades the NPCs, and the one that adds in new quests and characters. Has anybody else used these? If so, are they pretty stable? I don't want to use them if they're going to make it buggy as hell, but if they're not bad I wouldn't mind trying them out.

Looks like there's more stuff available for FO2, so that should be fun. Man, I can't wait to play through this game again. I'm trying to decide what kind of character to play this time. Any suggestions on a fun character type to play for someone who's already beat the game four or five times?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, so NMA are fanaticists...but are the mods good? I've got the unofficial 1.3 patch, a mod that upgrades the NPCs, and the one that adds in new quests and characters. Has anybody else used these? If so, are they pretty stable? I don't want to use them if they're going to make it buggy as hell, but if they're not bad I wouldn't mind trying them out.

Looks like there's more stuff available for FO2, so that should be fun. Man, I can't wait to play through this game again. I'm trying to decide what kind of character to play this time. Any suggestions on a fun character type to play for someone who's already beat the game four or five times?

Don't worry about the quality of the files on NMA, it's the people that are broken not the mods/patches etc.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There should be a rule in this thread, N NMA A.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    There should be a rule in this thread, N NMA A.

I think tube said something about that the last one, though that's because there were about 10+ pages of bitching about NMA in a row.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jot wrote: »
    In other news: Is it true the game won't ship with the construction kit? I thought everyone felt that the construction kits included with Morrowind and Oblivion were one of the neatest features.

You're correct. It won't ship with a construction kit. Pete Hines talked about that in a recent interview, and he said that making the construction kit and including them isn't as easy as people think. They don't just give you the tools they use to make the game and that's that. The construction kit is an actual product they have to spend time and people and planning to development, and they simply don't have the time to do that right now. They want to finish the game first.

So it's possible we could see it after the game is released, unless they decide to focus on DLC, perhaps, but for now we'll have to be satisfied with what the fans create without the construction set.

Now speaking about Fallout 3, I'm glad it looks like it's easier to make good looking characters this time around. I'm still trying to make a good looking male character in Oblivion that isn't a Mystic Elf. It is freaking impossible unless you try and spend hours fine tuning one.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    jot wrote: »
    Now speaking about Fallout 3, I'm glad it looks like it's easier to make good looking characters this time around. I'm still trying to make a good looking male character in Oblivion that isn't a Mystic Elf. It is freaking impossible unless you try and spend hours fine tuning one.

Its not too hard to make a decent looking male redguard, like Barrus. But thats it. Everyone else looks like an egg.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    a bunch of leaked shots from a demo:

http://www.cng4u.com/2008/08/16/fallout-3-scans/
    http://www.catchplay.com/tw/?pg=games_news_item&id=3210

spoils the intro and the Megaton nuke quest, but I'm guessing you've read about it anyway. Has some dialogue trees in there as well with the Sheriff and the guy who wants to blow up Megaton (and an irate Ghoul).

Ironically, it seems our character will look much less like horrible mutants than they did in Oblivion.

edit: Also, I feel comfortable suggesting that this is the coolest character creation ever.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    a bunch of leaked shots from a demo:

http://www.cng4u.com/2008/08/16/fallout-3-scans/
    http://www.catchplay.com/tw/?pg=games_news_item&id=3210

spoils the intro and the Megaton nuke quest, but I'm guessing you've read about it anyway. Has some dialogue trees in there as well with the Sheriff and the guy who wants to blow up Megaton (and an irate Ghoul).

Ironically, it seems our character will look much less like horrible mutants than they did in Oblivion.

edit: Also, I feel comfortable suggesting that this is the coolest character creation ever.

It looks glorious.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oblivion's character creator isn't that bad, is it? I just mashed Random until I got something decently close to what I liked or wanted and then did some tweaking from there on and managed to get something decent, and about the only major thing irkful about most NPCs is that whomever was designing them had a hardon for the Age slider.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So if the game is out on oct 7th, that means it should be going gold in a few weeks/month time

(Ie when they ship it out to the printers and start having all those shiny shiny discs stamped out)

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Oblivion's character creator isn't that bad, is it? I just mashed Random until I got something decently close to what I liked or wanted and then did some tweaking from there on and managed to get something decent, and about the only major thing irkful about most NPCs is that whomever was designing them had a hardon for the Age slider.
    It was that bad.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It was that bad.

It wasn't that bad, but it was awful.

Djiem on
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    It was that bad.

It wasn't that bad, but it was awful.

It was the worst thing ever.

artoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There is no game with a worse character creator than Oblivion. They even put it in a poorly lighted area, so you can't clearly see what your character will actually look for most of the game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I made my guy relatively pale but in the game world he looked like an opaque vampire.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I was thinkin' more along the lines of its output as opposed to the mechanics and dynamics of the thing itself, though I honestly never had much of a problem with that either.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well.

From those screenshots, the game looks like it'll be very decent.

The only question now is; story. That'll be the thing that makes it or breaks it.

Speaking of which, any speculations on that for those of us who've read the 9 part bible and know the entire timeline inside and out. E3 was very surprising for me, considering Bethesda was saying how they wanted to replicate more Fallout 1 and not even treat Fallout 2 as a topic, and then BAM! Vetribird.

So we've got Washington, Brotherhood and the Enclave and your dad going off. Now the dad going away can only have one meaning, and it's the fairly obvious one, but where does it all lead.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Well.

The only question now is; story. That'll be the thing that makes it or breaks it.

The characters at least look human. Thats already a step in the right direction. Not sure whether to get this for my PS3 or PC. I know I mentioned mods earlier but unreal had support for mods on PS3 and I could get it on PC later for mods, would like to add to my PS3 library. Hopefully our store will get a free copy and by god, I'm having this one, ungrateful boss.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Hardly.

Whether or not the combat is fun, the world is immersive, and the content feels like its worth doing will make or break it.

Oblivion is about 50/50 on that, but still a fun game. We all want this to be a massive step up from Oblivion, however.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay, so I'm trying to install the 1.2 patch for Fallout, but I keep getting an error.
    "Can not open output file C:\Program Files\Interplay\Fallout\Fallout_1_Team_X_Patch_ENG_1.2w\Fallout_1_Team_X_Patch_ENG_1.2w\Fallout.exe"

What am I doing wrong? Using 7zip if that helps.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well.

I don't know. The main story in Oblivion was fairly uninteresting, as many people mention, and yet countless hours were had just exploring and slaying things. Fallout 3's world looks magnitudes more interesting to explore. It's not similar cave dungeon #4, it's a school or a subway system or the Washington Monument.

I do have a connection to a translator of the game, and the story certainly does sound like a step up. What I especially like is how everything is connected in some form or another. In Oblivion, you had countless unimportant side quests. In Fallout 3, those side quests and your decisions do have an impact on what happens during the game and especially the final outcome. We kind of knew that already, what with over a hundred or so different endings, but I'm liking the way it's sounding. The things you do matter, instead of just collecting a few flowers for an NPC.

Dashui on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think any one thing will make or break the game; I can accept flawed elements in exchange for brilliance elsewhere. I would say that at the top of my list is atmosphere, characters and story, and toward the bottom is gameplay, but that isn't to say gameplay is unimportant.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I just want to peruse around the wasteland, exploring all these cool destroyed buildings and so forth, while shooting zombies and bandits. The first thing I'll probably do is explore the high school at night. How creepy would that be? They show the high school in some screenshots, and it's filled with nasty looking zombies.

Seriously, fuck schools in horror games. They freak me out. Silent Hill, anyone? God damn scary monster kids.

Dashui on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, so I'm trying to install the 1.2 patch for Fallout, but I keep getting an error.
    "Can not open output file C:\Program Files\Interplay\Fallout\Fallout_1_Team_X_Patch_ENG_1.2w\Fallout_1_Team_X_Patch_ENG_1.2w\Fallout.exe"

This is a replacement .exe file for the game. Unzip this directly into your (assuming default) C:\Program Files\Interplay\Fallout\ directory and overwrite the one that's in there. Or, if you want to be safe, rename it fallout.bak first.

edit: duh, thinking of FO2. fixed the path.

freakish light on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just want to peruse around the wasteland, exploring all these cool destroyed buildings and so forth, while shooting zombies and bandits. The first thing I'll probably do is explore the high school at night. How creepy would that be? They show the high school in some screenshots, and it's filled with nasty looking zombies.

Seriously, fuck schools in horror games. They freak me out. Silent Hill, anyone? God damn scary monster kids.

I'm hoping my high school will make it in game.

Yeah yeah, they aren't focusing on realism, but its actually a pretty noticeable feature of NW D.C., so who knows...

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

I'm hoping my high school will make it in game.

Yeah yeah, they aren't focusing on realism, but its actually a pretty noticeable feature of NW D.C., so who knows...

Where did you go?

Personally I'm hoping they've got Pentagon City included.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just want to stock up on sniper rifles and ammo, go to the top of the Washington Monument, and snipe everything in a 3 mile radius.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well.

I don't know. The main story in Oblivion was fairly uninteresting, as many people mention, and yet countless hours were had just exploring and slaying things. Fallout 3's world looks magnitudes more interesting to explore. It's not similar cave dungeon #4, it's a school or a subway system or the Washington Monument.

I do have a connection to a translator of the game, and the story certainly does sound like a step up. What I especially like is how everything is connected in some form or another. In Oblivion, you had countless unimportant side quests. In Fallout 3, those side quests and your decisions do have an impact on what happens during the game and especially the final outcome. We kind of knew that already, what with over a hundred or so different endings, but I'm liking the way it's sounding. The things you do matter, instead of just collecting a few flowers for an NPC.

What I'm talking about is how they'll tackle the further expansion of the "lore". In the first two Fallouts, we've had many revelations regarding the FEV, the government through the Mariposa Facility, Sierra, Military Base, including everything from AI research and practical implementation to fusion, fission, and all sorts of world related things, not to mention the significant characters we followed from 1 to 2, figuring out who people like Frank Horrigan were, the entire history of the Brotherhood of Steel, what the deal was with the Enclave, president etc.

You know, it all starts simple enough, but by the end of it you're tackling shit that has massive effects on the "world" stage. Game just wouldn't be the same if we weren't given the dots to connect between the entire history of the US, the oil crisis, the fusion development, the nuclear war with China (if it was China at all) etc.

Now what we do know seems to be a bit more... meaningful. In 1 and 2 the Water Chip and GECK were total MacGuffins. Here we have it revolving around Liam Fucking Neeson which seems to be a step up from a briefcase. And the only reason he would've left the Vault was if he found out about the experiment aspect of the Vaults, either through the Overseer or the Enclave Communications. It also seems the Enclave president will play a crucial role, considering they hired Malcom Tolwyn McDowell to voice him. So we know we'll be talking to the prez at one point or another, and probably have the choice to put a bullet in his brain.

It all "seems" to be a step up. But the real question is, how meaningful in as far as contribution to the general lore and unanswered questions, not to mention missing data, will the game contribute.

This is kind of my fear for them shunning Fallout 2 in some of the interviews. I'd hope the way they go about doing those things is the way Fallout 2 did in respect to Fallout 1. Though mostly these are just empty words since we don't know how things will work one way or another.

But it's fun to speculate.

Quite honestly, I hope we get some information on Vault-Tec, and if going to space was the real objective of saving humanity, how far did that go before they abandoned the plan, or have they?

Personally if it was me, I'd tie the Valut social experiment projects as an intentional plan to see how humans handle being isolated in small groups under extreme circumstances. The data would be quite useful when trying to solve problems when you depart into the great unforgiving void of space.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I just want to stock up on sniper rifles and ammo, go to the top of the Washington Monument, and snipe everything in a 3 mile radius.

Just snipe gas stations instead.

What? Too soon?
    (yes, I was living there while that was happening, shush)

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

This is a replacement .exe file for the game. Unzip this directly into your (assuming default) C:\Program Files\Interplay\Fallout\ directory and overwrite the one that's in there. Or, if you want to be safe, rename it fallout.bak first.

edit: duh, thinking of FO2. fixed the path.
    Thanks dude.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ehh. 1.2?

Dude.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42776

We no longer live in 1999.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Despite the game likely not extending far beyond the borders of DC itself, I really hope that we can go to Bethesda's offices. I mean, I know it's unlikely, since they're far enough outside DC that it'd be a pretty long trek, but maybe they could fake it and move their office closer for the purposes of the game.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ehh. 1.2?

Dude.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42776

We no longer live in 1999.

I gave him a list of mods to install a page or two back. You have to go in order because they build on each other.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nah, just that one was fine for me. Replaces the 1.2 very nicely. The other mods are a great addon themselves, but I'm just saying 1.2 is redundant when you have the one I posted.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, except it's for Fallout 2 and he's playing 1.

freakish light on