Options

American Presidency: Still nice

1545556575860»

• Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Given the fungibility of my paycheck, I am now going to donate $10 to Obama.

Speaker on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Locust76 wrote: »

They NEED to make that a side-by-side with that Ms South Carolina video

You see the problem in america is that oil just need to be more fungible, with its fungibility. Thats the bush doctrine charlie.

I need to clean my shower because it's becoming too fungible wait am I doing this right.

Can we paint her as elitist now for using fungible? A word that I'm sure 90-95% of Americans had never heard of?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If it weren't for my fungibile, I wouldn't have spent that half year as a vp canidate.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/palin_still_badmouthing_troope.php

God just seeing this little bit of the hannity interview is angering, let alone that she continues to beat the bullshit "He should have been punished more," drum. On top of that shes running the lie that she wanted him to be in another department. Christ you could use her own statements to prove she fired him with no cause because she claims SHE DIDN'T FIRE HIM!

What pisses me off is the whole "he tased my nephew" thing. It's never said in contexted.

"He tased my nephew, at my nephew's request, so that he could impress my daughter and show her that he's not a mama's boy." Was it a stupid thing for the officer to do? Yes. Have other 11 year olds done far stupider things? Beyond a doubt. It's "Jackass" not "don't taze me, bro!"

What pisses me off is they always talk about that but they don't mention any of the details of the investigation. It's immaterial that the guy tazed her nephew. The entire case is she fired Monegan because he wouldn't fire her ex-brother in law. Her ex-brother in law's actions should have little bearing on the case.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Can we paint her as elitist now for using fungible? A word that I'm sure 90-95% of Americans had never heard of?

She also used the word verbiage, but she uses words the way I used to when I was a teenager, that being I could say them, but have no idea what the hell they meant.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Locust76 wrote: »

They NEED to make that a side-by-side with that Ms South Carolina video

You see the problem in america is that oil just need to be more fungible, with its fungibility. Thats the bush doctrine charlie.

I need to clean my shower because it's becoming too fungible wait am I doing this right.

I dunno, do we have a Duchess that we can trot out to make the claim for us?

Tomanta on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    John McCain wasn't fungible for 5 1/2 years...

Tach on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    All I know is I have craving for funyuns now

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    fungibles go great in an omelet

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Dilbert taught me the meaning of fungible it's true

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    All I know is I have craving for funyuns now

You bring the mountain dew, I'll bring the funyuns. ITS D&D!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I still don't know what it means.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I disagree with Dogbert's point.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Variable wrote: »

It's like "transferable" or "interchangable".

Someone else can think of an example - I have to go to work. Later guys.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    I disagree with Dogbert's point.

I believe Dogbert completely missed the point.

But I agree that most drivers of fuel-efficient vehicles don't know what fungible means.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008

She's so down-to-earth she doesn't even understand half the words she uses. Palin '08!

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It means that every bit of a good is equivalent and interchangable.

ie, oil from the US is the same as oil from the Middle East is the same as oil from Russia is the same as oil from South America. Because it's an easily interchangable good, one can replace the other with no reprecussions. Therefore, the price for that good will be dictated by the world market, and we cannot artificially create barriers which attempt to differentiate.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

*Raises Hand

OOOH, I know!

It means a gallon of gas pumped in Alaska is the exact same worth as a gallon of gas pumped anywhere else.

What she was trying to say is that it doesn't matter where the gas comes from, as long as we drill so there is more gas. I think.

Do I get a gold star?

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Webster wrote:
    Main Entry:
    1fun·gi·ble Listen to the pronunciation of 1fungible
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈfən-jə-bəl\
    Function:
    noun
    Date:
    circa 1765

: something that is fungible —usually used in plural

Thanks. That helps a lot, dick.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkFyArd8zdw

For those wondering if Palin's ability to speachify make that oil quote sound any better? Uhh no, it actually sounds a lot worse.

inigo.png
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tthe question was 'are we going to ban the export of the oil we get from new drilling' - the answer seems to be 'well all oil is the same, and no we're not'.

I do not see what is so confusing about this, she basically even tries to explain what fungible means.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited September 2008

*Raises Hand

OOOH, I know!

It means a gallon of gas pumped in Alaska is the exact same worth as a gallon of gas pumped anywhere else.

What she was trying to say is that it doesn't matter where the gas comes from, as long as we drill so there is more gas. I think.

Do I get a gold star?
    Drill, baby, drill

CJTheran on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So doesn't that make more drilling in the US kind of pointless, or am I misunderstanding the concept?

Cinders on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm baaaack.

Anyway, I've learned that a doctor friend has had to push back his retirement for at least a few years. Now, that doesn't sound too horrific until you know why he wanted to retire when he did: he's worried his age will cause him to malpractice. Yes, Mr. Magoo has a scalpel! Now, he's going to take my dad's advice and try to get on a board, but we don't know how it'll turn out because he has no background in administration.

And I should also mention that I've been watching this thread this whole time.

I also wrote this for The Blowfish, my school's gag paper (the editors stitch contributions together, so It's a bit of a fragment)
    Lehman Brothers files for Chapter 11, Merrill Lynch bought by Bank of America at discount, government forced to buy out AIG, Dow drops ___ points, dollar in my pocket destroyed in laundry, food in Sherman still sucks
    The markets were thrown into turmoil last Monday on the news that Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. (NYSE: LEH) would not be bought by the British company… umm… Prince Albert and Princess Diana Canning Inc? (LSE: PADC)... no… ah, here we go: Barclays PLC (LSE: BARC), and the subsequent announcement that it would be filing for The United States Bankruptcy Code Chapter 11: The Bribe [this is the title of chapter 11 of deathly hollows]. Due to the revelation that the total assets of Merrill Lynch & Co (NYSE: MER) consisted of monopoly money, the company’s stock price fell to the point that it was bought by Bank of America (TYO: 8648) at a price of five of those little foam owls the library gave out during orientation. Upon further inspection of its holdings, it was learned that two out of three of the letter’s in AIG’s (NYSE: AIG) name could also be found in the name of Lehman Brothers, the government was forced to give it a loan in return for &9.9% ownership. Asked about the new acquisition, President George Bush said “you’ve got the wrong Bush. Try calling the White House,” President George Bush said “[total nonsense],“ Vice President Dick Cheney asked that an occult sacrifice be held in his name, Minister of Defense Ehud Barak said “I’m not Barack Obama,” Obama mayor Toshio Murakami sent us some lacquered chopsticks [he sent Obama lacquered chopsticks upon learning his name was Obama], Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) said “[something in 1337 (on another note, Biden led a rally with 1337 attendees)],” Senator John McCain (R-AZ) “... - --- .--. / .- ... -.- .. -. --. / -- . / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. ... -.-.-- / .. .----. -- / .- / .--. --- .-- -.-.— {translation: “STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS! I'M A POW!” translation software here: http://www.omnicron.com/~ford/java/NMorse.html],” Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) said “now you know how we plan to provide universal health insurance,” Governor Sarah Palin sacrificed a moose in Dick Cheney’s name, Former Governor Mitt Romney said “we got some bling-bling here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGMi7a53jA],”[/.url] and President Jehuda Reinharz couldn’t be reached for comment.
    Due to this series of bad news, the Dow Jones Industrial Average has dropped ____ points since the Lehman Brothers announcement [pair this with a picture of the DJI since Monday with the label “Average investor altitude”].

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hear some Ron Paul supporters are going to fly a fungible to advertise for him.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/palin_still_badmouthing_troope.php

God just seeing this little bit of the hannity interview is angering, let alone that she continues to beat the bullshit "He should have been punished more," drum. On top of that shes running the lie that she wanted him to be in another department. Christ you could use her own statements to prove she fired him with no cause because she claims SHE DIDN'T FIRE HIM!

What pisses me off is the whole "he tased my nephew" thing. It's never said in contexted.

"He tased my nephew, at my nephew's request, so that he could impress my daughter and show her that he's not a mama's boy." Was it a stupid thing for the officer to do? Yes. Have other 11 year olds done far stupider things? Beyond a doubt. It's "Jackass" not "don't taze me, bro!"

Yeah, you could do that.

Or, you could reply with, "Yeah, he did taze his nephew. And the guy she replaced the police chief with instituted a new policy where forced rape victims would be forced to pay for their own rape kits. Which Sarah Palin then signed off on."

The key is putting them back on the defensive.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I hear some Ron Paul supporters are going to fly a fungible to advertise for him.

Will Cordobo be flying with it?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Tthe question was 'are we going to ban the export of the oil we get from new drilling' - the answer seems to be 'well all oil is the same, and no we're not'.

I do not see what is so confusing about this, she basically even tries to explain what fungible means.

It's actually closer to "All oil is the same but the congress should do something trust me on this I'm going to talk for a while and use SAT words for my statistically-shown-to-be-lesser-educated-crowd so that I look smart and they like me despite the fact I'm saying up is down and red is green and oil is going to be both imported from foreign sources because it's the same as American oil and at the same time we will reduce our reliance on foreign oil by drlling more and fungusable and and and..."

CJTheran on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cinders wrote: »
    So doesn't that make more drilling in the US kind of pointless, or am I misunderstanding the concept?

No because it adds more oil to the global market, increasing supply, and lowering prices ever so slightly.

Supposedly.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008

Oil is the classical example. Any unit of oil from any source worldwide is exactly the same. Oil from Alaska is interchangeable with oil from Saudi Arabia or Venezuela. That's what "fungible" means.

The economic ramifications are that because it's perfectly fungible, demand and supply become perfectly distributed all across the globe. All the oil is effectively dumped into a single pool, and that entire pool has a set cost. Everyone worldwide pays the same amount for oil, and nobody really has any say over where they buy it from, because it doesn't matter. Even if, for example, you chose to buy all your oil from Alaska, that wouldn't affect anything. Everyone, including you, would still be buying and selling the same amount of oil for the same price.

Saying "I'm going to buy oil from Source X" is like saying "I'm only going to drink water from this side of the glass."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Lets not make fun of fungibles ok they are a neccessary part of a good balanced diet, fungibles and fruits.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

Right kind of crazy wrong guy spewing it, Nader has Cordoza more likely to seatbelt him in the car then take him up in a blimp.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Bingo.

That oil gets added to the global supply. Inasmuch as it's insignificant compared to the global supply, the effects of adding it will also be insignificant.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And fungibles are very valuable in grade school lunchrooms, they can be traded for all sorts of other food.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    CJTheran wrote: »

It's actually closer to "All oil is the same but the congress should do something trust me on this I'm going to talk for a while and use SAT words for my statistically-shown-to-be-lesser-educated-crowd so that I look smart and they like me despite the fact I'm saying up is down and red is green and oil is going to be both imported from foreign sources because it's the same as American oil and at the same time we will reduce our reliance on foreign oil by drlling more and fungusable and and and..."

Fungible is just an oil-word. I think she probably knows the word from being the governor of Alaska and having a husband who works in oil, she wasn't just trying to use big words.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Æthelred wrote: »

Right kind of crazy wrong guy spewing it, Nader has Cordoza more likely to seatbelt him in the car then take him up in a blimp.

Watch the spelling. I distinctly remember the name being miss-spelled with an "O" at the end.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Watch the spelling. I distinctly remember the name being miss-spelled with an "O" at the end.

Yeah I better after watching that ad Nader really doesn't have anything more important to do sadly.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    CJTheran wrote: »

Fungible is just an oil-word. I think she probably knows the word from being the governor of Alaska and having a husband who works in oil, she wasn't just trying to use big words.

Stop bringing your "reality" into the situation and ruining my self-satisfied smirking.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

No because it adds more oil to the global market, increasing supply, and lowering prices ever so slightly.

Supposedly.

But the amount resulting from the increased drilling will have near no effect on the global market making the whole process almost pointless, right?

Cinders on
This discussion has been closed.