As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 64 Obscure Games Thread: Quality Optional

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Q_Prime wrote: »
    oh :p i was skimming for pictures. must have been why i missed it.

blastcorpscoverartmk5.png

this was also an awesome game.

oh fuck yes, fuck yes. if i want one game for rare to bring on live arcade or hell even a "next gen" port/sequel, this is the one.

i nearly got all the platinum back in the day.. i have unfinished business with it.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Look, it was ok, but that not what people wanted when it came out. They wanted Final Fantasy. They wanted Zelda.

As far as I'm concerned, I played it and loved it, but only because it was pretty much my only option. I'm willing to bet that the majority of Quest fans only had an N64, so we had to either take it or go without RPGs.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Q_PrimeQ_Prime Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    my.php?image=quest64bigwtmkra3.jpg

i can't believe no one posted this yet. it's probably one of the first real rpgs i've ever played. (not counting lagoon for the snes)

It's in the second post, but yeah Quest 64 was great.

Does anyone remember "Iggy's Reckin' Balls"?

oh :p i was skimming for pictures. must have been why i missed it.

blastcorpscoverartmk5.png

this was also an awesome game.

Fifth post, with picture. :P

I remember some Medals of Blast Corps beeing hard as hell.

Edit: I just thought of this:

pilotwings 64 /snip

oh pfft that doesn't count! spoiler! i didn't see it :p

Q_Prime on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man I was reading this thread hoping nobody would mention Aerofighters Assault but Chen TOTALLY BEAT ME TO IT. Kudos. Great game, I remember renting it all the time.

I would kill for Rogue Squadron to be on VC, but I doubt it will happen. Man I wanna play it again.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Q_PrimeQ_Prime Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    starcraftsv6.jpg

why isn't this on the DS yet!?!

Q_Prime on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    sonwings_screen001.jpg

I remember during this I'd be flailing and trying to put in the 'unlock all stages' code correctly. Fun times. I never played that game all the way through without cheats, the 3rd level kicked my ass EVERY TIME.

EDIT: Oh man Wikipedia says it's listed on the ESRB site as a virtual console title. I'm buying it.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pretty much everything in this thread I remember either playing or really really wanting to play back in the day.
    I think I still have Starcraft 64 and Battletanx on some dusty mental wishlist.
    Xagarath wrote: »
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Thread needs more
    s1timc.jpg

The best physics-based platformer you've never played.

I am highly disappointed only one person mentioned this game.

I also played this.

It allowed you to build a rollercoaster and throw sheep at walls of velcro.

HL2 aint got nuthin'.

Tig on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You all dissapoint me.
    Tetrisphereboxart.jpg
    tetrisphere.jpg

That was the puzzle game for N64.
    and better than the original Tetris.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You all dissapoint me.
    Tetrisphereboxart.jpg
    tetrisphere.jpg

That was the puzzle game for N64.
    and better than the original Tetris.

I knew I was forgetting something. That game was like zen.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    HarvestMoon64_64Box_20041015boxart_160h.jpg

Greatest Harvest Moon evar!

Translation is also hilariously bad. They even misspelled the name of their own company.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Tetrisphere confused the hell outta me when I was young. I had no idea what I was doing.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    No one mentioned this yet?

091bb887c999db3e556e153769f2f5f9.jpg

The boss fights were amazingly tough. I never beat the ginormous B-2 bomber and its armada myself. That was just crazy impossible for me.

"HELP HELP THEY'RE SHOOTING AT ME"
    "F-16, Mao Mao, wingman engaged."

I always thought the Russian voice was that damned gold plane taunting me.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    "Say hello to my little friend."

*wall of fire and death*

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Starshot.jpg

Anyone remember this little platformer? It was frustratingly hard (as I recall anyway), but had charm and humour bleeding out of every orifice. I loved the idea of searching the galaxy for novelty acts, and of course all the fun was in acquiring them. I can remember a lot of fun moments, from pitting various trigger happy factions in a worldwide weapons expo against eachother, to exploring a planet of eccentric ghosts, all the while being followed around by a sarcastic vacuum cleaner robot and a grinning little rocket. Though my memory is a little foggy on specifics, I was only 10 or so I think.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BTP wrote: »

Edit: Platinum medals in Pilotwings? I only knew of golds, and I got quite a few 300's.

PLatinum medals in Blast Corps. It was impossible and nerve wracking and a lot of them. The most fun I had though was playing the racing stages on the planets. Good times as a bulldozer on Mercury, and a dumptruck on Neptune, or is it uranus?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I see no

8f_8.JPG

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think it might've been mentioned earlier. That game was wierd but quite fun at the same time.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's been mentioned 2 or 3 times already, actually.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    homewrecker4homewrecker4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The World is Not Enough was a pretty good game. It couldn't really compare to Goldeneye or Perfect Dark (then again what did?) but it was still fun for what it was worth, I remember having a blast playing it with friends.

Oh, and I guess these games may not be that obscure (and they were multi-platform as well) but Spiderman and Mega Man Legends (released as Mega Man 64) were great.

I'll probably edit this as I keep looking through my collection here, have it all sitting in one of my desk drawers : )

homewrecker4 on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    halkun on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What the hell? I didn't know NGE had an N64 game.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am not sure how obscure HM64 is- it's pretty much everyone's favourite HM- but it sure was great.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Space Station: Silicon Valley is also incredible.

space_station_silicon_valley_box.jpg
    Loved this game so much despite it's glitches. Some of the puzzles were freakin difficult as hell. And all those little animals were just way to fun.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kupi wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    No one mentioned this yet?

091bb887c999db3e556e153769f2f5f9.jpg

The boss fights were amazingly tough. I never beat the ginormous B-2 bomber and its armada myself. That was just crazy impossible for me.

"HELP HELP THEY'RE SHOOTING AT ME"
    "F-16, Mao Mao, wingman engaged."

I always thought the Russian voice was that damned gold plane taunting me.

This looks like it would be the cover of an Atari 2600 game.

Saddler on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »

It was Japan-only, and pretty iffy.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »

It was Japan-only, and pretty iffy.

I think it's best merit was that it didn't try to cram itself into one genre. Rather than being (for example) an FPS that used NGE stuff, it was a NGE game first and foremost. It ended up as a collection of minigames, pretty much, but I appreciate the effort.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    winback-1.jpg

WinBack was one of my favorites. Not quite sure how obscure it was though, all I know is that I could only ever find a copy at my rental place.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    winback-1.jpg

WinBack was one of my favorites. Not quite sure how obscure it was though, all I know is that I could only ever find a copy at my rental place.

Win, this game/post is full of win.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    winback-1.jpg

Win, this game/post is full of win.

It's also full of back.

Ba-dum pish!

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, Starshot? I've never played (or even seen a copy of it. Ever) it, but I remember I once had an N64 magazine from the UK that had a big 5 page feature on it. It looked interesting.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    235px-Snowboard_kids.jpg

Yes, I found another yet-to-be-mentioned game. Snowboard Kids was amazing. The sequel was too, to the degree than I played it. I liked it even more than Mario Kart 64 because the snowmen were all :3

The chairlift was an amazing equalizer in tough races, especially when someone would nail you with a weapon and the entire pack cruises by while you're stuck on the gates, crying to yourself. Good times.

"SBK" for the DS can go to hell.
    SBK--Snowboard-Kids-DS-1.jpg

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There should be more games which allow you to fling pans into the air which smash all of your opponents flat, or turn people into blocks of ice which cannot steer.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    235px-Snowboard_kids.jpg

Yes, I found another yet-to-be-mentioned game. Snowboard Kids was amazing. The sequel was too, to the degree than I played it. I liked it even more than Mario Kart 64 because the snowmen were all ᴦ:3

Yes, this game was awesome.

Babble on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fzeroxdd03ay1.jpg

3241380.jpg
    (Custom Track Builder)

If ever there was a reason to hunt down a N64DD, this is it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    battlezonewb9.jpg

This game polarized me and my friends with almost religious zeal, and I contend even to this day that anyone who doesn't like it can go fuck themselves.

Me and a friend took shrooms and played it the other day, and it remains a classic.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man it was almost impossible to do flashy midair moves in Snowboard Kids. I don't know how you kids did it.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    235px-Snowboard_kids.jpg

Yes, I found another yet-to-be-mentioned game. Snowboard Kids was amazing. The sequel was too, to the degree than I played it. I liked it even more than Mario Kart 64 because the snowmen were all :3

The chairlift was an amazing equalizer in tough races, especially when someone would nail you with a weapon and the entire pack cruises by while you're stuck on the gates, crying to yourself. Good times.

I never played the original, but Snowboard Kids 2 was awesome.

I'm still depressed by the lack of Rocket love in this thread. I used to spend hours just building rollercoasters and riding on them.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [IM]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/981/fzeroxdd03ay1.jpg[/IMG]

3241380.jpg
    (Custom Track Builder)

If ever there was a reason to hunt down a N64DD, this is it.

You have no idea how sad I was when I found out it wasn't coming to the US. FZero-X is still one of my favorites. That track builder could have kept me playing for years. I have to find a way to play with it that doesn't involve ebay and multiple hundreds of dollars.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    235px-Snowboard_kids.jpg

This. This entire post.

I have yet to find anything on the PS1 version of the first game, which supposedly had extra characters.

Edit: And cutscenes.

The opening, embedding is disabled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zymbasTeBqM

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes, Snowboard Kids!

I can say without exaggeration that, with the possible exception of Super Smash Bros., that was the most played gamed on my N64.

The little touches made it great: the featherboard, the ice board with very little friction (this made you feel like a total badass when you could pull it off), the tricks, etc. All so glorious.

The amazing thing was we just picked it up from a random video store clearance table, with no expectations whatsoever.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png