As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 64 Obscure Games Thread: Quality Optional

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    And yet again whoever is in charge at various companies for choosing what, if anything, goes on VC, are a bunch of idiots. There are so many games people would buy like hotcakes, yet they keep releasing shit like Turrican 2 that no one ever cared about, nor do they care about now; and games that everyone wants and would buy are no where to be seen.
    It makes me so sad that there are ony like ten N64 games currently available on the VC. With so much awesome games still to go, why isn't Nintendo releasing any more of them?

It's my understanding that it's not actually Nintendo. Well, for Nintendo developed/published games it is. But afaik any company can produce the game for the VC, companies are responsible for publishing their own property. They just have to convert it to the format for the VC Emulator and send it to Nintendo for "certification".

So games like Ogre Battle 64, it's not Nintendos fault, it's Atlus or whoever holds the Ogre Battle IP currently.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    And yet again whoever is in charge at various companies for choosing what, if anything, goes on VC, are a bunch of idiots. There are so many games people would buy like hotcakes, yet they keep releasing shit like Turrican 2 that no one ever cared about, nor do they care about now; and games that everyone wants and would buy are no where to be seen.
    It makes me so sad that there are ony like ten N64 games currently available on the VC. With so much awesome games still to go, why isn't Nintendo releasing any more of them?

It's my understanding that it's not actually Nintendo. Well, for Nintendo developed/published games it is. But afaik any company can produce the game for the VC, companies are responsible for publishing their own property. They just have to convert it to the format for the VC Emulator and send it to Nintendo for "certification".

So games like Ogre Battle 64, it's not Nintendos fault, it's Atlus or whoever holds the Ogre Battle IP currently.
    Square holds Ogre Battle IP currently.

Those giant cock suckers. -_-

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I know it wasn't a 64 exclusive or really that obscure except that nobody bought it but I really liked Glover.

yeah Glover was great... a truly original platformer among all those SM64 clones. The control system was really clever- it managed to use every button on the N64 pad to good effect.

I also loved it for looking like a 3D version of one of those old, surreal Atari platformers, where the art was drawn by the same dude who programmed it and everything was random as hell. That sort of trippy James Pond/Zool vibe.

Tig on
  • Options
    BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hybrid-heaven.518486.jpg

Man, did I love this game. Still do, even if it was horrible by everyone else's standards. There was something so awesome about being able to kick someone 10 times on the same side of his/her/its body without retaliation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dByHdlpVAvU&feature=related

Blowflu on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Another thing I loved about the N64... It was the only game system I can think of where secret cheats were just that, SECRET.

How long did it take for the Wampa-Stompa cheat to come out for Shadows of the Empire? Or the Goldeneye bonus characters cheat?

Even more extreme were the Banjo-Kazooie codes like raising sharkfood island, or my personal favorite: The Naboo starfighter in Rogue Squadron that they kept secret, even from Gamesharkers, until episode 1 came out. That blew me away when they released that code.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    my personal favorite: The Naboo starfighter in Rogue Squadron that they kept secret, even from Gamesharkers, until episode 1 came out. That blew me away when they released that code.

That was indeed, very impressive.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thread needs more
    s1timc.jpg

The best physics-based platformer you've never played.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't forget Jet Force Gemini. That was a great game too.

urahonky on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2008
    WCWvsNWO-WorldTour.gif

I... I played this. :(

nothing wrong with that. it was great. no mercy was better though, I can never play another wrestling game again after that

Tube on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't have much to contribute to this thread yet, but it did remind me that I won Jet Force Gemini on eBay over a month ago and still haven't received it :cry:

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not many did, but I really liked this game. Sabrewulf was awesome.

killer-instinct.jpg

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    2049 was way superior and WHY IS IT NOT ON VC YET???

NO IT WASN'T I WILL FIGHT YOU.

2049 sucked compared to the original.

Yeah except for stunt mode which was better than any game ever, including itself.

Gods own truth right there. I think the only racing I did with 2049 was in a demo disc I got for the DC. Once I got the game it was multiplayer stunt and battle, all the way.

Arrath on
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wasn't really obscure, but

Jet_Force_Gemini_box.jpg

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    While Jet Force Gemini was a lot of fun, to get it my brother went and traded in my copy of Goldeneye for it. Kinda tainted my view of the game.

Arrath on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Mischief_Makers.jpg

I was going to bring this up, too, but I don't think there's anything else which needs to be said. This game is just awesome.

Well, there is one more thing to be said: the final boss fight is AMAZING. It just has to be seen to be believed, and to that end...

Spoilers ahoy, by the way...

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Everything I wanted to mention has been posted already, but I'll throw another vote in for Space Station: Silicon Valley. The game is ugly and pretty glitchy, but it was always one of my favourites.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Body Harvest was awesome. The nuke was one of the coolest sections in any game evar.

Anyone ever play Mace : The Dark Age?

Mace_The_Dark_Age_box.jpg

Oh yes! I loved that game! I'm not much of an expert on fighting games but I greatly enjoy it even to this day, it has a pretty good soundtrack too.

My very first game for the N64 is kind of an obscure one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VJQQsw9tQs

Really good iteration of Doom, great levels and great atmosphere. The controls are terrible though.

Also,how could any of you forget this little gem
    Chameleon_Twist_Cover_Art.jpg

mantidor on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Thread needs more
    s1timc.jpg

This is a game I really wanted to play but could never find. None, and I mean NONE of the rental places near where I lived carried this. I'd only read about it in Nintendo Power, but it sounded amazing. I mean, back then, just the idea of a game with an actually good physics engine was impressive.

I think nowadays we forget that prior to....hell, prior to the Havok engine, games with good physics were rare and special things.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rollout wrote: »
    This was my first Nintendo 64 game.
    49_8.jpg
    4 difficulties, jetpack action and stuff hidden everywhere, I loved it and cherished it until I stopped playing the Nintendo 64, where I lost this game cardtridge not long after.

I barely heard about this game anywhere on the internet, but the hidden codes in this game were a blast. Will buy again this if I comes to the Virtual Console. <3
    The experience probably prematurely shaved 20 years off the end of my life, but I beat this motherfucker on jedi. Sure, I used the both the cheat that makes your blaster super powerful and the one that lets you mind control stormtroopers, but they couldn't have possibly expected anyone to do it without them, could they?

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Thread needs more
    s1timc.jpg

I am highly disappointed only one person mentioned this game.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Body Harvest was awesome. The nuke was one of the coolest sections in any game evar.

Anyone ever play Mace : The Dark Age?

Mace_The_Dark_Age_box.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pcomUBll0Y

Man, I'll fuck you up with Ned the Janitor.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't feel like looking up the box art right now, so I'll just say them.

Glover and Tonic Trouble were the shit.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first reactions to the title thread were, "Obscure N64 games? I doubt I know any."

And I can't think of any originals, but let me add my votes for Majora's Mask, if you could call that obscure at all, Shadows of the Empire, Star Wars Racer (the most badass racing game I've played to date) Killer Instinct and Flying Dragon. Fuckin' loved me some Flying Dragon.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God damn I loved Shadows of the Empire. It's the kind of game I can still go back and play a few levels of. The canyon level was always my favourite. I once had pretty much the entire thing memorized.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No one mentioned this yet?

091bb887c999db3e556e153769f2f5f9.jpg

The boss fights were amazingly tough. I never beat the ginormous B-2 bomber and its armada myself. That was just crazy impossible for me.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    No one mentioned this yet?

091bb887c999db3e556e153769f2f5f9.jpg

The boss fights were amazingly tough. I never beat the ginormous B-2 bomber and its armada myself. That was just crazy impossible for me.

That game was hella fun.

There were a number of games I rented over and over again but never bought. That was one. Another was this.

be_8.JPG

I still don't understand curling, but fuck it, this game is great.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    Q_PrimeQ_Prime Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my.php?image=quest64bigwtmkra3.jpg

i can't believe no one posted this yet. it's probably one of the first real rpgs i've ever played. (not counting lagoon for the snes)

Q_Prime on
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    256px-Wetrix_for_N64,_Front_Cover.jpg

I always liked this one, even if I rarely understood why I was doing well.

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Q_Prime wrote: »

i can't believe no one posted this yet. it's probably one of the first real rpgs i've ever played. (not counting lagoon for the snes)

It's in the second post, but yeah Quest 64 was great.

Does anyone remember "Iggy's Reckin' Balls"?

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, so many good games here. I'll second Episode 1 Racer, Rocket, WCW vs nWo, and add a few.

Scarsn64.jpg
    First N64 game I owned. It was awesome, but not as much as...

BattleTanx.jpg

BattleTanx_-_Global_Assault.jpg
    The second one I like a little more, but both are SO FUCKING AWESOME.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BattleTanx was awesome. I'm not exactly sure if I'd call it obscure though. It was a fairly popular title with the multiplayer crowd, especially after the 300th hour of playing Goldeneye.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Q_PrimeQ_Prime Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MacGuffin wrote: »

oh :p i was skimming for pictures. must have been why i missed it.

blastcorpscoverartmk5.png

this was also an awesome game.

Q_Prime on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Maybe it's not as obscure as I thought, but no mention of Ogre Battle 64? That was an amazing game.

6b_8.JPG

YESSSSSSSSSSS

But I've barred myself from investing any more time in thinking about Ogre Battle. I just end up sad, knowing there'll never be another.

I still go through it again once a year or so to remind myself how awesome it was.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Fifth post, with picture. :P

I remember some Medals of Blast Corps beeing hard as hell.

Edit: I just thought of this:

Pilotwings_64_box.jpg

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Fifth post, with picture. :P

I remember some Medals of Blast Corps beeing hard as hell.

Edit: I just thought of this:

Pilotwings_64_box.jpg

Nearly every Platinum medal was impossible in that damn game. I managed to get all but like 10 platinums, and that's after many many hours of frustrating trial and error.

Oh crap, forgot about Pilotwings. They so should make a wiimake. I think it would be awesome.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love Space Station: Silicon Valley, but the ending is total bullshit:
    "Ending? You want an ending? You'll get credits scrolling while the camera meanders around boring city streets and like it!"

To add insult to injury, the name of the last level is something along the lines of "Victory Day Parade".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only baseball game I've ever liked was on N64. Major League Baseball featuring Ken Griffey, Jr.

Fucking fantastic.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    San_Francisco_Rush_Extreme_Racing_for_N64%2C_Front_Cover.jpg

I was the only person I knew who owned this game. 2-player, moon gravity, no auto-reset, no place on track, no time limit. Track 6, Pappy Land. I bet I could still enter the cheats by muscle memory alone.

My friends and I would spend hours driving off the small tabletop, trying to get the most outrageous stunt. Flipping around and trying to grip the walls for a sideways landing.

Yesss. Last time I played this, I had forgotten what the button inputs for the cheats actually were, but I could still enter them with ease.

The combination of Rush and Majora's Mask are the story of my N64's life.

Pretty much the same for me. I'm actually considering playing through Majora's Mask again once I clear a bit of the backlog. It's been a long time since I've played it from its true beginning. I sometimes just dicked around and entered each dungeon to use the warp to the boss rooms. Once each section of the world was peaceful again, then I'd take on the final boss.

And thirded for muscle-memory coding on San Francisco Rush, but not only that. I still know where every key is in each of the 7 tracks, and I used to know the 26 digit code that would ensure me the win, and hence Formula 1 car, if my memory card ever glitched and erased itself. (That happened a few times. :( )

Edit: Platinum medals in Pilotwings? I only knew of golds, and I got quite a few 300's.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quest64_bigwtmk.jpg

Fuck you.

I liked it.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Look, it was ok, but that not what people wanted when it came out. They wanted Final Fantasy. They wanted Zelda.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg