As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC - 4E DnD] Sorrow of the Heavens

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys, sorry for the late notice but I am having some drama with the internet this weekend due to some unfortunate problems with the wireless. I will have to get my ISP out to have a fix of this tomorrow sadly, so no DnD.

Sigh.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cold archons fail and fire archons win.

That is what I've learned today. Michael Baysplosions DnD is the *best* DnD. If we had destructible terrain there would totally be nothing left of those trees (in fact there isn't). Next week ignore all three trees, they no longer exist.

I am going to jigger around the cold archons, they suck. I have to admit, the one thing I enjoyed most was suiciding them into Antoch.

In any event, Hephaestus is my attempt at making something that is somewhat "Shadows of the Colossus" like in 4E DnD. You should before that plan on what your level 27 characters should be, because you're going to go up a level vewry vewry soon according to my crystal ball. It's not really a crystal ball, because it's actually a square, but you get the idea.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have decided that I am going to investigate the issue on timing of zero HP effects and how this interacts with forced movement/additional effects. I have asked the hive mind at the official forums here and I have also sent a query to CS.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have decided that I am going to investigate the issue on timing of zero HP effects and how this interacts with forced movement/additional effects. I have asked the hive mind at the official forums here and I have also sent a query to CS.

Not much consensus there. heh.

It does seem to make sense to me that the player's entire power line should happen before the monster uses a reaction.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That is in fact how I have been ruling it already (hence why Terrendos could not prevent a status effect with Spirit Flames that would occur after the creature was killed), as I've effectively determined that all the effects (damage, forced movement, dazing and such) occur all simultaneously. You cannot do anything about this except with an immediate interrupt, so free actions and similar I've ruled cannot interrupt this. The point of questioning it is if I missed something that may have an undesirable interaction at some point, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Interestingly, CS gave the same answer as I have been ruling it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The way I thought you had been ruling it was that simultaneous effects occur in the order that the user wants. In that way, the immediate reaction triggered as a result of the damage reducing the target to 0 HP. If the user declared that the push happened first, then it would trigger the reaction after pushing. If the user declared the push to happen after the damage, then the minion would explode and then his corpse would be pushed. Similarly, if an effect from an attack were to be declared as occurring after the immediate reaction to the damage, then it could still take place.

Really it doesn't matter as long as it's consistent.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only way i could see any problem with the rules is if there was a reaction to movement (because you can specifically divide movement with a IR against movement). But since these aren't reactions or interrupts against movement and since the thing that kills them has to execute for them to die (which would be the step right after applying the hit line) I can't see how you can't push a dying minion away from you if you want.

That being said, i wouldn't let people know if a particular blow was going to kill an enemy if they weren't a minion.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I am satisfied with the answers and such I've had at this point.
    Terrendos wrote:
    The way I thought you had been ruling it was that simultaneous effects occur in the order that the user wants.

No they all occur at the same time effectively meaning the order is irrelevant (but because of this the effects can be applied in whatever order - however it doesn't change that the creature is pushed AT zero HP, it is not pushed at whatever HP it has then takes damage), if a creature interrupts it though there isn't anything you can do about it. For example an immediate interrupt that triggered off being damaged would trigger instantly before the creature could be pushed or similar - as all effects are simultaneous and interrupts technically insert themselves before whatever triggered them. So effectively I've just ruled that free actions aren't immediate interrupts unless they specifically say so (EG their trigger is a part of another power, like adding to damage and similar).

This has a few other effects such as a creature with bloodied breath or a similar "free action" effect that occurs at being bloodied being able to be pushed away, or a beholder with the eye rays power can be pushed away before it triggers the free eye ray attack, exploding minions/monsters can be pushed away before death and such forth. I only wanted to find out if this had any unintended consequences, which it doesn't so really the ruling isn't changing at all. What I was going to do if there was a problem was simply make a way that forced movement could still work to push such creatures away before they exploded or used a free action response to bloodied/0 HP like bloodied breath (Basically retaining the desired tactical effect).

For purposes of immediate interrupts though, all parts of a powers hit line go off simultaneously and so you cannot avoid triggering an immediate interrupt by choosing the order of effects (potentially, it would be immensely hard to do so I think).

Edit: TL/DR nothing changes. This does however explain why Terrendos could not use spirit flame to end effects that had not actually happened yet (as the creatures free action triggers after the power that kills them resolved). In the case of an immediate interrupt that would have worked though. I actually cannot think of any 0 HP or bloodied effects that are immediate interrupts off the top of my head.

It's worth noting that a stun will also prevent them from detonating, as you cannot take free actions while stunned (but you can while dazed).

Edit2: I also changed the Frost Archons. They sucked and were boring. Now there are sexy and exciting new versions of them.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Now I've sent the PM I am curious about something, does everyone want to play this Sunday (US time). It's a long weekend here in New Zealand (So in other words I am available on Monday) and I don't mind running the game two days in a row (Saturday and Sunday). It would be at exactly the same time, just on Sunday. I am keen to do this if everyone else can make the time.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I could work that out. Would have to leave early sunday as well though.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I should be able to do that Aegeri.

Also I am insulted that you don't think Batman could save anyone. Everyone knows that with adequate prep time Batman is effectively indestructible.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I could do that, as long as we do it the same time. I have a hockey game that evening, but it is closer to home so less drive times! :D

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Now I've sent the PM I am curious about something, does everyone want to play this Sunday (US time). It's a long weekend here in New Zealand (So in other words I am available on Monday) and I don't mind running the game two days in a row (Saturday and Sunday). It would be at exactly the same time, just on Sunday. I am keen to do this if everyone else can make the time.

Sunday would be difficult. I work sundays, and at the very least would be at least 10 minutes late; much mor elikely to be 2 or more.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, we'll have to see then what Goum is up to because I wouldn't mind getting a bit further ahead in the game and this is the perfect opportunity for me to do so. I'll have a think about it though and ask at the end of the session.

And yes this would be at the normal time that we play.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can do sunday as well.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I think that is enough then and so we'll also be playing on Sunday (same time and such). I will forewarn you all my internet is still capped (depressing I know), but I am attempting to keep the file sizes of everything down as small as possible, so hopefully the wait times won't be too long (and a few encounters are on the same map anyway).

The session on Sunday will need to end promptly though - I still have SCIENCE! to do on that day. Just being a public holiday means I can get away with doing slightly less SCIENCE! than normal.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah well let's hope with my ENGINEERING! that my computer will be up and running on schedule. If I have to use my mini PC again I'm going to cry.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I thought I could hear deep sobbing the other night.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So I will be capped for saturdays game, but sunday I won't be capped (Or I'm planning not to be). So hopefully everything will be nice and smooth on Sunday. There will be more Archons, you're still entirely surrounded and they are beginning to bear ever closer. I'd say you've dispatched around 1/4 of the Archons forces.

You will be going up a level at some nebulous point that I am not telling you immediately. So you should make sure you have your level 27 token prepared for Sunday! In Rysks case, as you'll be leaving early can you please drop your level 27 token on the field so I can move it into the fog of war for when you level up? I'm pretty sure you'll be level 27 by the game on Sunday or pretty much immediately after it begins.

Also I've changed the ice archons entirely. There are no more ice archon minions and both kinds of ice archon are now different (and more interesting). There will be another kind of Archon as well.

The main thing is things are going to get really dire, all I can say is just hold on....

Aegeri on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I may be slightly late, depending on traffic.

Busy day tomorrow.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    I may be slightly late, depending on traffic.

Busy day tomorrow.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I was here 30 minutes ago.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's okay Goum, TSI|Awesome and Terrendos are a bit late as well. So we'll just see how everything goes.

Edit: Okay TSI|Awesome is here now.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So tomorrow is going to be a majorly desperate fight with very limited resources. Bear in mind this fight is for everything. If the archons get to the forge they will create an almost limitless army of them and they will feed directly from the divine energy of the forge. This will produce archons beyond the strength of those forged by Haphaestus (you'll notice their penchant for exploding is because those made by Haphaestus are incredibly unstable).

If you lose here there will be nothing between the primordials and utter destruction (not even Gods can repel a limitless army of Archons).

First to save time here is how the Torrent of Iron (the encounter tomorrow) works:

1) Reinforcing enemies and allies.

This is a new mechanic so deserves explanation. At the top of the initiative order will be a creature with a dice value. At the beginning of every round after the first, that dice is rolled and the number indicates the creatures that reinforce either army.

Reinforcing creatures appear like a wargame rules would indicate. In the case of allied wounded soldiers, they appear in the doorway to the Forge of Moradin.

Reinforcing enemies appear on a "table edge" for lack of a better term. Enemies with the flanking ability may appear from other edges on the battlefield!

You can roll your own sides reinforcements. Reinforcements are limited.

Wounded soldiers have no healing surge value, are heavily injured and are basically temporary. These guys have nothing to lose though and will fight to the death. You should bear in mind their following power:

Immediate interrupt: An adjacent hero (That's you guys!) is hit by a melee or ranged attack
    The adventurer slides 1 into an unoccupied space and the wounded soldier moves into the adventurers former square and is hit by the attack instead.

You may use this power whenever they are adjacent to you (noting that it uses their immediate action).

Catastrophic dragons can reinforce.

2) There is a round limit in effect. You have to survive beyond that round limit.

Then something happens. But is it bad or good? WHO KNOWS (okay I know).

3) Victory Conditions:

It is inevitable that some Archons will get into the forge - it wouldn't be much fun if you didn't get to see this forge in the end! But you shouldn't let too many through - if too many Archons breach your lines then what happens tomorrow is you run out of reinforcements (as they'll butcher everyone in there violently). If a certain number of Archons beyond that get through they crush all defenses in the forge and Archons will reinforce infinitely from within (that means you inevitably die fighting an endless unstoppable horde - so don't let this happen!).

You will know what both these numbers are.

4) It's worth clarifying that the temple of Moradin you are defending is for all intents and purposes almost indestructible to the archons from the outside. They can't just blast their way in without significantly more magic than they have available to them currently - so you only need to worry about the entrance in terms of defense.

5) For clarity, here is a map showing the archons main objective (except for killing you).

ArchonVictoryZone.jpg

6) Bonus!

If you stop all archons from getting in (EG not a single one makes it) instead of being level 27 you can level yourselves straight to level 28 for such an immeasurably heroic effort. And presumably get 100 gamerpoints or something. Damn kids and their xboxes.

Cya tomorrow!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Okay I've got 2 plans.

1. Archons have a set number of kills they make before they shut down. We send wave after wave of our own forces at the archons to be cut down until the archons reach their kill limit and shut down. Then we can destroy them at our leisure.

2. Use the corpses of the people who die to the killbots... err, archons... to barricade the doors for however many rounds it takes for the whatever it is that happens. If it's something bad, we're probably dead anyway. If it's something good, we'll win.

Concerning the potions:
    Orin probably needs at least 3 surges. Verax will pop his regen 27 power so he shouldn't need altogether too much healing; he should be fine with the 2 surges he's got now. Caleb, Michael, and Gabriel probably each need 1. The rest of you guys can probably last on the surges you've got, which means 4 potions left over, for 2 daily powers. Since we're defending a doorway, let's go with spells that can help us block that off.

Verax's level 27 power:
    Several possibilities here, and I'm wondering what you guys think.

Divine Contempt: Wis v Will, single target, 2d6 damage and stun EONT with an aftereffect that dazes with a -2 attack penalty.

Healer's Reproof: Wis v Will, close burst 1 damageless stun EONT plus an ally in burst can spend a surge plus 3d6+Wis HP.

Stroke of Ruin: Str v AC, 3[W] necrotic damage, and if the target is resistant or immune to necrotic it takes no damage and is stunned instead.

Brutal Grace: Str v AC, 4[W] and allies in 5 squares can make saving throws.

Sunburst: Wis v Will, area burst 2 for 3d8 damage. Effect lets me and allies in burst gain 10+Cha HP and make a saving throw. Thanks to the recent nerf expect less than 20 HP healed.

Once again the Battle Cleric powers are terrible. I put the only two worthwhile ones here. I'm leaning towards Divine Contempt because of the guaranteed 2 turns of incapacitation.

Lastly, two questions for Aegeri:

1. Can these potions be used during combat? Or must we decide now how they should be used?

2. If Caleb or his buddies die, we can revive them right? Verax still has a half-dozen scrolls of Raise Dead aside from being able to do the ritual himself.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Er, what potions did we get?

@terrendos.. I would go with that or healer's reproach. You get some stun and some heals. I could see that being useful as well.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Verax wrote:
    1. Can these potions be used during combat? Or must we decide now how they should be used?

They can be used during combat as a minor action - if you drink two in the same round it grants you a daily power and one will restore a healing surge. Obviously with all the normal rules for using an item.
    2. If Caleb or his buddies die, we can revive them right? Verax still has a half-dozen scrolls of Raise Dead aside from being able to do the ritual himself.

It's your gold and you can spend it any way you feel like. Although NPCs ordinarily cannot be raised from the dead, I would think in this situation "unfinished business" would draw them back to life.

Edit: Lain see the IC thread ;)

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Incidentally I would like to point something out here:

You can win if you are TPKed if you're near enough to the "victory" point. I can't say any more than that though! But do not give up! If your character dies you are welcome to play allied characters like Caleb, Michael and such forth - assuming they are still alive.

You are only finished when all hope is lost!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Er, what potions did we get?

@terrendos.. I would go with that or healer's reproach. You get some stun and some heals. I could see that being useful as well.

Check the IC thread. We got 10 magic potions that do magic things.

Every time I level up I'm just so disappointed with the choices for Battle Clerics.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I want to get Bubbling acid back.

Encounter length zone that deals damage and blinds, this can bottleneck the door a bit and give us some help. I'm intending to thunderwave whoever gets past you guys back to the front and through my zone. I push SO HARD. Mmmmmmmmmm.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Be aware you'll need to consider your "rear" as some archons can come around from behind you.

They are sneaky.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    We can't just sit inside the doorway to the forge and bottleneck all the enemies?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    We can't just sit inside the doorway to the forge and bottleneck all the enemies?

Why not?

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Why not?

Obvious answer is, no reason enemies can't try to pull the same shit on us. Locking down damaging zones right inside the door, forcing us to fight out in the open. If we're all in the building that means we're all in a very tight spot. Given the size of enemy bursts and blasts, it shouldn't be surprising for them to hit every party member with every attack if we hide in there.

Its certainly an option, and a decent fallback plan, but it has a lot of risks if we just start out that way.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would like some healing surges. 10 potions is "2" per person, but some of the folks with higher amounts of surges can probably get away with not using potions.

Personally, i say 1 heal for verax, 3 for Orin, 1 daily for Verax, 1 daily for Sephalon, 1 Daily for Antoch.

Lain has plenty of surges left and IIRC a rage, which makes his dailies less valuable. Edit: Orin has a stance left, and while its not the best stance its plenty fine. He doesn't need as many dailies after that(and can still regen one if he happens to roll a 20)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Why not?

Obvious answer is, no reason enemies can't try to pull the same shit on us. Locking down damaging zones right inside the door, forcing us to fight out in the open. If we're all in the building that means we're all in a very tight spot. Given the size of enemy bursts and blasts, it shouldn't be surprising for them to hit every party member with every attack if we hide in there.

Its certainly an option, and a decent fallback plan, but it has a lot of risks if we just start out that way.

One of the main flaws with that thought process is that we are INSIDE A BUILDING where they can't draw line of sight/effect to us. Jamming them up so they can't get in easily is the best plan we can hope for, and forcing them to take damage and a potentially crippling status effect works to our advantage as well.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Waiting on the vents and such forth.

My internet is not capped too as I am whoring my friends.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hmmm. I am glad I tried this experiment, but it needs a lot of refinement I feel. Sorry about the length of things, I guess doing a "larger" rolling battle in 4E really needs me to think more on the core mechanics (primarily in the length of the defense - in this case 10 rounds). Either way you've got 1 final round and *stuff happens* (that is good stuff as I've been implying throughout the fight).

Anyway, I am totally going to have a sleep on this and think about what I did wrong. I still think the concept is awesome, but it just went too long with the numbers of creatures I was using (I overcomplicated it on myself a lot). Either way if you survive to round 11 there will be awesome (round 10 is going to be a zerg rush and a half).

Edit: As always I know how I would change it,

Cut number of rounds down to 5.
    Limit allies (should have stuck to the original concept of Caleb, Gabriel and Michael - I wanted to experiment a bit mechanically with the other guys, which ultimately wasn't worth it).
    Stick a fixed encounter number and not a rolling EL. That would reduce my maths required each round.
    Use a limited set of monsters that each had a well defined and specific role in the encounter - this was by far my biggest mistake with this.

Overall though I am pleased I tried this. It just means next time it will be even better.

Edit: Also you'll level up directly after round 10.

It doesn't matter if you are dead or not either.

Edit2: Also you can resurrect everyone if you want from the fight Terrendos. It's just going to cost... something. I haven't worked that part out yet.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, I think the only problem was the adding of friendly NPCs. Having 3 friendly NPC allies is basically the same as having 1-2 more players in the group, and when you add in a half dozen other guys it just gets worse. It gets to a point where you're fighting with yourself.

Also, it should be noted that I don't care about the dead minions all that much, but they would be important to Verax.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, I think the only problem was the adding of friendly NPCs. Having 3 friendly NPC allies is basically the same as having 1-2 more players in the group, and when you add in a half dozen other guys it just gets worse. It gets to a point where you're fighting with yourself.

Also, it should be noted that I don't care about the dead minions all that much, but they would be important to Verax.

Yeah I know that. I'm working out how much it would be to resurrect them. Given you're going to get in the order of a couple of million gold this shouldn't be a problem. Also I recognize that was a pretty bad mistake.

Also I wrote this in the PM but I've realized that my font system is just nonfunctional in a MM3 environment or we're going to have the same discussions every game! As a result every monster will now just state what action they are taking. It will still be a pretty font though, you can't take that from me too. :( In a smarter world, Aegeri would have made the Volcanic Dragons and Fire Archons (with maybe Iron Archons, I loved their mechanics but they became bogged down in billions of other monsters) the only actual creatures in that encounter. Then upped their damage and made them really gel together.

Hindsight of course is all too easy. Minding I still felt it was of suitable epicness - but due to a few mechanical issues I think it didn't have the effect I wanted ultimately. That's DMing though.

Aegeri on