As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC - 4E DnD] Sorrow of the Heavens

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    No, Solar Wrath won't work with Devilbane because it's an effect on a creature type - not on the target line like turn undead. So it will not work on immortals.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jesus, this new build has more area attacks than Saphelon, and probably me too. If Saphelon's rejiggering since the drop of Wizard's Fury makes even more AoE, that's a lot of massive attacks being dropped every round.

To be honest, though, it's actually more difficult than you'd think to be sure which build is actually stronger. Between NAD drops, loss of AC, and loss of all the regeneration dailies, I would bet you're squishier than the straight numbers suggest compared to the old build. The new build can't off tank by design. Your healing was insane before, so getting a boost isn't breaking it, and even if you're attacking everyone on the field, your damage wasn't amazing before and I have no reason to think it'll be amazing now.

On the other hand, more healing can't really hurt, immunity to dominate can't hurt, and I imagine solar wrath with be sufficiently amazing. Defensive Healing Word could be used a psuedo-defending power, and not having to be on the front lines should help with the squishiness. And of course, more ranged attacks means less pain with hovering enemies. Which are a pain. AEGERI!

It occurs to me that I haven't stated on the other 2 builds, so I'll make a brief comment. Half-elves are lame, though intuitive strike is the new Righteous Brand, but that will probably be nerfed and it'd be silly to just jump to the new broken thing. Choice 3 rather amuses me, and is probably actually my favorite, but that's because I favor the exceedingly offensive choices in any set. I doubt that one will win, but I can dream..

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aegeri: That is a fair point, I didn't notice that. Also, depending on the interpretation of certain wordings I won't be granting 29 HP with every at-will. The trigger is the Symbol of the Warpriest, which reads "Once per round when you hit with an attack using this holy symbol, one conscious ally within 5 squares of you regains [5] hit points." Since that doesn't give the power the Healing keyword, it can't trigger the Healer's Lore bonus or the one from Beatific Healer. I think it still triggers the bonuses from Healer's Brooch and Mace of Healing though, as they only require that I use a power that allows myself or an ally to regain hit points.

Everything else works for sure though.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It will only restore the enhancement bonuses, you do not get anything else on top of it as all the properties lack the healing keyword - so cannot trigger anything that needs that keyword. They will work on one another though, which is fine seeing as you've invested in three items to do so.

Edit: Healer's broach won't work, the property on the Holy Symbol isn't a power so you can't use healer's brooch. Checking it again, neither will the mace work - both state when you use a power that allows an ally to restore HP. The Symbol of the Warpriests healing isn't a power - it's a property so won't trigger either. All 3 would stack with the at-will that gives HP when an ally hits the enemy though (as the power in question grants healing). So it would only be ~5-6 HP or so.

Edit2: Relevant text,

Weapon of Healing and the Healer's Brooch both have this wording;
    When you use a power that restores hit points to an ally, add an item bonus equal to this weapon’s enhancement bonus to the amount restored

Symbol of the Warpriest has this wording;
    Property: Once per round when you hit with an attack using this holy symbol, one conscious ally within 5 squares of you regains hit points equal to the symbol’s enhancement bonus.

The benefit in the Symbol of the Warpriest is a property - it is not a power so neither healer's brooch or weapon of healing trigger.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you are not adverse to changing to a bard, you could take Blessed Psalmist and not lose your turn undead.

This gives you access to charisma based weapon attacks as well.

Or you could Bard and Paragon Cleric for roughly the same effect. But uhh, Blessed Psalmist is pretty insane

Mainly because of:

Lvl 20 Daily Power
    Standard Action Close burst 10
    Target: Each enemy in burst
    Attack: Charisma vs. Will
    Hit: The target chooses to become dominated until the end of your next turn or stunned (save ends). You or an ally in the burst gains 20 temporary hit points.
    Miss: The target chooses to become dazed (save ends) or make a melee basic attack against one enemy of its choice within its reach. You or an ally in the burst gains 10 temporary hit points.

lvl 11 Encounter
    Encounter Divine, Implement, Radiant
    Standard Action Ranged 10
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Charisma vs. Will
    Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier radiant damage, push the target 1 square, and each time the target takes damage from an attack before the start of your next turn, it takes an extra 5 radiant damage.

BLESSED PSALMIST PATH FEATURES
    Heaven's Favor (11th level): Choose one divine class corresponding to a multiclass feat you possess. You gain the class’s Channel Divinity feature and all powers associated with that feature.

In addition, you may use bard implements with any prayers associated with this class that have the implement keyword.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't mind that so long as he stays as a cleric as the base though, this is because I wouldn't mind some consistency in the game by this point in epic if you don't mind.

That's a really good paragon path though.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That doesn't work as well the other way. The purpose of the class is to make the bard much flavored like a Cleric.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm not keen on massive retcon like rejigging.

Rejigging yes, but within a degree of reason.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's okay, I don't want to turn Verax into a Bard anyway.

Just for fun I made Striker Verax:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Verax Mk 3, level 24
    Human, Cleric, Pit Fighter, Demigod
    Build: Battle Cleric
    Divine Spark: Divine Spark Strength
    Divine Spark: Divine Spark Dexterity

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 27, Con 15, Dex 17, Int 10, Wis 21, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 12.

AC: 40 Fort: 38 Reflex: 35 Will: 35
    HP: 142 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 35

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +23, Insight +22, Religion +17, Heal +22, Arcana +17, Diplomacy +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +13, Bluff +14, Dungeoneering +17, Endurance +12, History +12, Intimidate +14, Nature +17, Perception +17, Stealth +13, Streetwise +14, Thievery +13

FEATS
    Cleric: Ritual Caster
    Human: Battle Awareness
    Level 1: Battle Healer
    Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
    Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
    Level 6: Healer's Implement
    Level 8: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
    Level 10: Devilbane
    Level 11: Reckless Attacker (retrained to Epic Reflexes at Level 22)
    Level 12: Uncanny Dodge
    Level 14: Swift Turning
    Level 16: Demonbane
    Level 18: Action Surge (retrained to Armor Proficiency (Plate) at Level 21)
    Level 20: Torm's Radiance
    Level 21: Heavy Blade Opportunity
    Level 22: Heavy Blade Mastery
    Feat User Choice: Focused Expertise (Fullblade)
    Level 24: Supreme Healer

POWERS
    Bonus At-Will Power: Recovery Strike
    Channel Divinity: Turn Undead
    Cleric at-will 1: Righteous Brand
    Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
    Cleric encounter 1: War Priest's Strike
    Cleric daily 1: Weapon of Astral Flame
    Cleric utility 2: Return from Death's Door
    Cleric encounter 3: Sacred Shielding
    Cleric daily 5: Hallowed Advance
    Cleric utility 6: Stream of Life
    Cleric encounter 7: Strike of Judgment
    Cleric daily 9: Divine Power
    Cleric utility 10: Shielding Word
    Cleric encounter 13: Angel's Rescue (replaces War Priest's Strike)
    Cleric daily 15: Wrath of the Faithful (replaces Weapon of Astral Flame)
    Cleric utility 16: Healing Circle
    Cleric encounter 17: Divine Phalanx (replaces Sacred Shielding)
    Cleric daily 19: Beacon of Doom (replaces Hallowed Advance)
    Cleric utility 22: Ramparts of Light
    Cleric encounter 23: Haunting Strike (replaces Strike of Judgment)

ITEMS
    Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Whiteflame Legion Plate Armor +5, Reckless Fullblade +4, Healer's Brooch +5, Magic Holy Symbol +4, Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier), Helm of Swift Punishment (paragon tier), Strikebacks (heroic tier), War Ring (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Earthreaver Stompers (paragon tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier)
    RITUALS
    Gentle Repose, Tenser's Floating Disk
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

It's still missing unimportant stuff like rituals and background and again most of the items are placeholders.

Base At-will damage is 2d12+24 which is still pretty terrible compared to, well, anyone else. He would at least crit on a 19 and Fullblades are high crit so he might do pretty well there. However, healing and defenses both take a serious hit (except for Fortitude, which goes up somehow) and since the group already has 2 Strikers it seems redundant in excess.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Personally I favor the more ranged healing based build. Especially given some of the encounters coming up and the absolutely murderous level ELs that are fast approaching. Solar Wrath is a great power, that will have a lot of utility against the hordes of daemons and elementals incoming in the campaign.

Edit: If you do change builds I'll need to rejigger your items. At the moment it would be (where appropriate) 1:1 so any level X can be exchanged with another item of the same level. I will then need to fix my treasure tables to compensate.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Quick note: War Priest Mark+Heavy Blade Opportunity is hilarious. You get a free OA with warpriest mark when they do anything, and then when you hit them the next ally to target them gets healed. That's...well, that's reminscent of things like hospitaler and DEfending swordmage. That's pretty awesome. But with Pit Fighter it doesn't combo.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, but I don't think I want to be marking enemies as a 2h Striker Cleric. That just seems like an open invitation to get my face melted.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Yeah, but I don't think I want to be marking enemies as a 2h Striker Cleric. That just seems like an open invitation to get my face melted.

Yeah, I was just thinking about what Mortis would do to you with AC 40 or so.

It would be horrible.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Well yes, obviously. I was thinking of some magical combination of options 1, and 3, opting for a higher attack bonus but taking advantage of the fact that you're in melee most of the time and can take advantage of OAs. It would chump your Wisdom or AC, so its not the cleanest choice.

After seeing the striker build, I kinda want to rescind my vote. It doesn't have the structural soundness that 1 and 4 have. The damage bonus from a fullblade isn't quite worth the 2 AC, and the benefits of Pit Fighter are outweighed by the benefits of War Priest. That said, the damage is nice, and better than you give it credit. Of course there's 2 but no one likes half-elves so.

Yeah, so honestly, final vote is 1. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing 4, but it would just feel...wrong for verax to be not swinging his sword at everything. Like the party's soul died. And its soul was swinging swords at people but its dead so it can't.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And Saphelon will no longer be going into melee without Reaper's Touch and Magic Missile.

By the by, you said I could retrain this stuff away or just change it Aegeri?

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You can just change it, seeing as Reapers touch was technically errata'ed. So I don't mind. You'll have a new fancy implement in just two encounters (both are fairly gentle as well).

The only thing will be what Terrendos changes Verax too, but as I said before whatever magic items Verax has now EXCEPT the sword can be exchanged for other items of equal level.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would also like to finagle this change at the time I get the new implement:

Change my WotST implement to wand and my secondary one to Tome of Readiness.

I will try to put together a better list of what to change tonight with the CB. There will be several...

Also, group input: what kind of at-will should Saphelon get? Nothing that is an illusion power please.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    I would also like to finagle this change at the time I get the new implement:

Change my WotST implement to wand and my secondary one to Tome of Readiness.

I will try to put together a better list of what to change tonight with the CB. There will be several...

Also, group input: what kind of at-will should Saphelon get? Nothing that is an illusion power please.

Well, that cuts out Phantom Bolt, Illusory Ambush, and Phantom Eruption. Technically Winged Horde isn't an illusion power but I'll go ahead and assume that's out too.

In that case, I'd vote for the good old Scorching Burst. Because fire is awesome.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fire is BAD.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think that for now I'll keep Verax the same and see how he plays. Give it a couple of sessions and all that. I'll probably end up switching out a bunch of my powers and maybe some feats too. Since Verax already has the equivalent of 18 starting Wisdom thanks to Demigod, it's not like he's gimped, even if he just uses Healing Strike or whatever it's called. But I don't have the heart to change him completely around. I have enough ideas for other Leaders that I'll have plenty of chances to play super-mega-laser-Cleric, so I might as well finish out my time as a Battle Cleric.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think that for now I'll keep Verax the same and see how he plays. Give it a couple of sessions and all that. I'll probably end up switching out a bunch of my powers and maybe some feats too. Since Verax already has the equivalent of 18 starting Wisdom thanks to Demigod, it's not like he's gimped, even if he just uses Healing Strike or whatever it's called. But I don't have the heart to change him completely around. I have enough ideas for other Leaders that I'll have plenty of chances to play super-mega-laser-Cleric, so I might as well finish out my time as a Battle Cleric.

Especially considering the game is already level 24 anyway. It's not like you have a very long time (comparatively) left to play him and have since - what is it now - level 8 or so?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So I decided to swap for Scorching Burst. I traded a couple of feats:

Reaper's Touch
    > Increase Burst feat
    Inescapable Force --> Arcane Admixture (Acid onto Scorching Burst)
    Focused Expertise WILL become Tome Implement Expertise when I get the tome...I hope. This will lower the attack bonus for my sword attacks by 2 (and not increase by 1 at 25), but Corellon's has a big base bonus and I can oath ToS.

This did overall make my PP a little less viable, but not by much. It also means I probably won't be going into melee very often and significantly reduces the usefulness of my Oath, but with ToS I really need to hit reliably so it's cool.

Are these changes acceptable Aegeri?

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Absolutely and the tome you're getting is pretty solid as well. Ironically by going to Nithramandial first and Xao second, you've missed all the cold resistant enemies as well.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I felt the need to say that Verax can look forward to a really nice weapon at the end of this module.

And no, it isn't Mr. Sparksalot.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SIR Sparksalot. What is wrong with you?

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    He was never officially knighted.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SCANDAL!

PS - class is slow tonight.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There are also the allegations that "Sir" Sparksalot ran away with the princess as well.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anyone lurking around, waiting in vent for Goum and Terrendos!

Edit: Okay I see everyone. I'm going to assume Goum's internet was stolen by space squirrels.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Not quite, i just had something important come up. Sorry i will not be able to make it.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's okay mate. Orin is doing his job so don't worry =D

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Here is the Tome from Xao's tower:

+6 Tome of the North Wind: Critical: +6d8 cold damage

Property: When you use a wizard cold power through this tome, and the target of the power is slowed, that target takes damage equal to your Constitution modifier if it moves while slowed.

Property: This tome contains two wizard daily cold powers. Both powers must be of a level equal to or lower than that of the tome (28). Choose these powers when you acquire the tome; they cannot be changed later. You can add these powers to your spellbook.

Power (Daily • Arcane, Cold, Implement): Free Action. Choose a power contained in this tome and expend an unused wizard daily attack power of an equal or higher level. You gain the use of the chosen power during this encounter. The power is lost if you do not use it before the end of the encounter.

Edit: The tome also has the accurate property.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Delicious. Now I have to chose cold powers.

PS - That property sucks for me...

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It sucks in general actually to be honest that property. This is more of a temporary solution, you'll get another tome in [name omitted for story secrecy!] that I made. It kicks ass.

Edit: Which isn't far away either. In fact both you and Terrendos can expect a big boost in weaponry early next module.

Edit2: Also, you regained 4 healing surges courtesy of the healing circle. Ironically, that was there because I was worried Mr. Butler and the Beholder could get a good chunk out of the party. It ended up just being a joyful accident that it allowed restoration of healing surges at that point. To be honest, that third encounter ended up harder than it should have been - when I made this you had the antisubstantial thing which you don't have now.

Edit3: To Terrendos, as an explanation more or less you can't send your "trusted" troops into Carceri as they are immortals. Your best soldiers will end up permanently stuck in the plane and eventually likely go insane under Aniketolos' thrall (who it's worth noting is immune to the attacks of immortals under a certain level). Eve though has another means of getting what she wants (or at least that she thinks will do so - that's still up to you remember).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wait a minute, what's up to me? I swear, if Sir Sparksalot turns out to be working for Eve he's gonna get such a talking to. And probably a melting down.

Or was that a second person plural "you" (as in "that's still up to you all remember.")

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, "you all" in that case. Wasn't intending to specifically address you specifically there. I'm very curious what you'll do when you meet Mercurial.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The answer is murder everything indiscriminately. Eve, Mercurial, the crazy guy in Antoch's staff, Sir Sparksalot... they're all gonna die.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't think Sir Sparksalot is very sentient - minding he could simply be malicious and has been keeping quiet about his plots to run away with Saphelon's familiar.

Edit: From this point on, monsters do not die - instead their demise shall be called "Hamburger time". That is all.

Edit: Speaking of, I'm thinking about ways to improve my description of monsters and such forth. I use a lot of creatures, but I often don't feel I give them appropriate introductions so their behavior and such can be deduced. In some of the later encounters, I'm going to try to make skills more useful like dungeoneering, arcana, insight and such so you can try to deduce what sort of tactics or behaviors monsters may have - in addition to the usual predictable "hurf durf it is resistant to necrotic damage" (that you probably already knew). This won't always be applicable, in the case of certain opponents but it will describe what some creatures may do: EG That they will stick near to a certain terrain feature, they have a distain of melee combat and information you can use to your advantage. This will also help you deduce what monsters are "TR 10" or basically incredibly smart fighters that make use of every resource optimally and which are utter idiots.

I did a bit of this today, with describing the beholder as being "directed" by another creature when Saphelon used the check on this. My description isn't going to be an obvious "This is basically a tactical genius" but will instead give you a clue that it might be smarter than expected. A zombie like the rotter is a complete moron - but when it's being controlled a bit like a puppet magically you can immediately surmise it's intelligence will be much higher than you would expect. Other things that these descriptions will give clues towards:

If a monster is likely to target and coup de-grace fallen characters
    If a monster is particularly stupid
    If a monster is particularly smart
    If they have an affinity for a piece of terrain and why (Healing them, regaining powers, it's doing something etc)

This information will go along with telling you what type of creature it is, what resistances and immunities it has. You'll also learn if it has an aura and any other relevant information that I think may be useful (including, in some cases any history the monster may have that makes it unique or interesting). I really want to characterize the monsters a bit more and make them feel like they are slightly more than stuff waiting around to die (which has sadly been a major flaw of this campaign - probably due to how disrupted my life and the game got towards the end of last year!). As a result, I'm already adding more background in for Xao that you can find out (in a semi-humorous way), Aniketolos actually gets lots of detail - ironically after you've already killed him but that is the way the story crumbles. Next module is a bit less linear series of encounters compared with this module though - dungeon crawls are great for catching up from well behind.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There is also a new general houserule I am implementing, which ironically won't affect anyone but anyway:

Multiple copies of the same magical item power cannot be used in the same day. For example, if you use the daily power of X item and you have 3 of them you cannot use the same daily power on the other two items. Similarly, if you have X numbers of a magic item with X encounter property, you can only use 1 of these.

So basically buying duplicate magical items to use multiple encounter or daily powers will not work.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    lol. Sounds like someone stepped on Aegeri's toes. Wonder what daily item power was being neglected.

illgottengains on