Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Halloween - Tricks, treats, and opinions.

245678

Posts

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Ragamuffin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    1ddqd wrote: »
    And easy, too - worst part would be making a rocket launcher, but shotguns or shovels are good alts

    Carrying around a shotgun is a great idea!

    Srsly, just paint the orange tip black! For realism!

    Well, I mean, if you're inside a building at a party I can see it being ok, but I still wouldn't run around with a fake shotgun on Halloween. I wouldn't carry a bat around, either, mind you.

    efsx.jpg
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User
    edited October 2008
    halloween has really died out around my area and I don't know why. Every year there's less people who decorate, dress up, less trickrtreaters, less any festive mood at all. Its really bored down to my friends just having an excuse to attempt pranks, then once all that is done settle down for a movie and caramel apples.

    I'm trying to make this year different, but everyone is just sorta shrugging off with things like "eh, i'm too old for that kind of thing" and such. Halloween fucking depresses me now.

    The best year is when I had a big box, I hid in it with a funny face on it and popped up and grabbed unsuspecting people.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Ragamuffin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Doxa wrote: »
    halloween has really died out around my area and I don't know why. Every year there's less people who decorate, dress up, less trickrtreaters, less any festive mood at all. Its really bored down to my friends just having an excuse to attempt pranks, then once all that is done settle down for a movie and caramel apples.

    I'm trying to make this year different, but everyone is just sorta shrugging off with things like "eh, i'm too old for that kind of thing" and such. Halloween fucking depresses me now.

    The best year is when I had a big box, I hid in it with a funny face on it and popped up and grabbed unsuspecting people.

    Go out into the woods with your friends.

    Make sure it is night.

    Sneak away.

    Spray fake blood everywhere and shred your shirt in a pool of it.

    Keep a sweet costume hidden somewhere out there and change into it.

    Chase them through the goddamn woods for being jackasses.

    efsx.jpg
  • Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User
    edited October 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    See, I'm not a fan of the slutty/funny costumes.

    I enjoy Halloween as a scary holiday and like to dress up accordingly.

    If I stop even one kid from coming up onto my porch because of how it looks, how I look, how I'm acting, etc. then it has been a great Halloween.

    Last year I made a fat suit out of some oversized overalls, a plaid shirt, and a ton of pillow stuffing. I made a burlap mask (itchy as all hell) with an innocent looking stitched on smile and two mismatched buttons for eyes.

    Just looking at me, I seemed like I real scarecrow, due to the slight pudginess and when people touched me I was soft, like a pillow.

    I wasn't scary looking per-se, but when someone sees a seemingly inanimate object come to life, it is terrifying. Especially with a goofy grin and button eyes.

    Bonus: I had some Japanese tourists have one of their members take a picture next to me. Right before the guy took the picture, I put my arm around the girl's shoulder and she screamed louder than anyone I have ever heard.

    I hope they remember that moment fondly.

    Was this you, by chance?

    Great reaction

    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.
    Spoiler:
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus IT'S DARE! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I will be going as a Scout from TF2. Posted it in another Halloween thread (Wubble Woo forum, maybe?) but here it is again:

    scout2.jpg

    I like this picture because it's like the people in the background are guarding the Internet.

    spartasig.gif
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User
    edited October 2008
    I'm moving into a new apartment before Halloween. Since I am new to apartment living, should i be prepared with Candy or preferably a sign that says no candy?

    Are there usually a lot of kids hitting apartments on Halloween?

  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Talkc wrote: »
    I'm moving into a new apartment before Halloween. Since I am new to apartment living, should i be prepared with Candy or preferably a sign that says no candy?

    Are there usually a lot of kids hitting apartments on Halloween?
    I've never had a kid come knocking in four years of apartment living.

    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2008
    Talkc wrote: »
    I'm moving into a new apartment before Halloween. Since I am new to apartment living, should i be prepared with Candy or preferably a sign that says no candy?

    Are there usually a lot of kids hitting apartments on Halloween?

    Usually not.

    Just leave a small bucket outside your door if you don't want to answer it or w/e

  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This year I'm not doing anything for Halloween. I don't have time for costume design, and I don't have a class or party or anything, so I don't see the point of just sitting in costume in my office working.

    But last year I had a class on Halloween night. That was fun!

    teaching.jpg

    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2008
    Haha awesome


    I don't know what to be for halloween. I have this problem every year.

  • DeMoNDeMoN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Halloween every year for me was turning off all the lights and just watching some scary movies.
    Some kids loved Halloween for the candy, and I certainly got some decent sized hauls, but I also loved just sitting around watching marathons of the Simpons Treehouse of Horror specials. The new ones suck ass, but I still make it a point to watch all the old ones.

    PSN: Toxic_Cizzle Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • squeefishsqueefish Registered User
    edited October 2008
    I loved trick or treating when I was little. I went until I was about 13. The older I got, the more elaborate/creative my costumes usually were, so I would feel like I was still "earning" the candy as opposed to pissing people off for still going at that age. Next to Christmas, Halloween was my favourite holiday - we wouldn't miss trick or treating even if there was a snowstorm (we always had to figure out costumes that could be altered to fit over snowsuits) and we'd go for hours. All the running around in the snow probably negated at least some of the calories we'd consume later on!

    I've noticed in the past couple of years that we've been getting way fewer trick-or-treaters coming to the door. There are lots of kids in my area, but it seems we get only the very young (like, parents with their infants who can't even eat candy yet) or obnoxious teenagers not in costumes. It makes me kind of sad to see the tradition dying out. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of trick-or-treating. Halloween's become much less exciting since I outgrew it.

  • LailLail Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When I was younger the neighbourhood I lived in was...a little poorer. On Halloween the streets were PACKED with kids. Looking back, it was like they were gathering their food for the next month or something. In my early teens we moved to a higher-middle class neighbourhood and honestly, it's kind of depressing here on Halloween. The amount of people living around here is about the same, but almost no one goes out.

    This year me and some friends are going out as the Channel 4 News Team. I'm Ron Burgandy, naturally. We're hoping for a house party, but we'll probably end up at some bar or club. Either way, it'll be a fun night of quoting an awesome movie.

  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Halloween in NYC is amazing.

    n34601694_31000440_9546.jpg

    "Holy shit, Tigger's loose on the subway! Stop him, Iron Man!"

  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    When i was a child, we didn't celebrate halloween at all, I still don't. We get raw eggs thown at our house, its really annoying.

    Yeah, that and toilet papering... I'm not too sure how they qualify as tricks. Little treacherous cunts, the lot of them! ...bunch of savages in this town.

    Um, I have never heard of anyone using fireworks on Halloween. Where is this that they do that?

    curiosity_zpse6a674fa.jpg
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I will be going as a Scout from TF2. Posted it in another Halloween thread (Wubble Woo forum, maybe?) but here it is again:

    scout2.jpg

    I like this picture because it's like the people in the background are guarding the Internet.

    Hahaha! That is a really amusing observation. I like that costume, too.

    curiosity_zpse6a674fa.jpg
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User
    edited October 2008
    All I'm saying is that a friend and I are going to go as Headcrab Zombies.


    That is all.

  • WetsunWetsun Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Just posted this in WW (I'll post the costumes here later...they're both almost completely finished):
    Wetsun wrote: »
    Fiancee and I decided to carve pumpkins based on our costumes (Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past From the Future & Skull Kid/Majora's Mask)

    n11803440376434234128ro1.jpg

    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2008
    So, when I was still in high school I had my best friend, and she had her best friend, and whenever there was a day at a convention or a Halloween or a costume party we didn't know what to go as for, we'd just invent a costume for a "fairy of [blank]"

    and after we burnt through the easy ones, like an Ice Fairy, or a Tree Fairy, we started getting more ridiculous, like Death Fairies, and Time Fairies, and I think Rara did a Goggles Fairy at one point

    so I think I am going to do that this year, since it's 1) really easy, 2) allows me to be creative, and 3) is a light-weight and comfortable costume

    disadvantage is that it lacks grokkability as a known character, but since I don't actually read books or watch television and movies and I hardly play video games anymore that aren't MMOs, I don't have any particularly inspiring extant characters to go as, and those are harder since you have to be faithful to stuff and yadda yadda

    actually the exception is that I might go as someone from Sandman (the comic), I was thinking Death but it would be a pain doing the full white/pale makeup, and Delirium has like nine different outfits, and these characters are also only recognizable in the most remote sense, so sort of defeats part of the appeal for doing them as opposed to a Random Fairy :P

    words
  • KilroyKilroy Lil' Sami :3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For all you people whining about your dogs dying on Halloween, my grandfather died on Halloween. Of cancer. I still manage to celebrate and have fun.

  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the cheat wrote: »
    When i was a child, we didn't celebrate halloween at all, I still don't. We get raw eggs thown at our house, its really annoying.

    Yeah, that and toilet papering... I'm not too sure how they qualify as tricks. Little treacherous cunts, the lot of them! ...bunch of savages in this town.

    Um, I have never heard of anyone using fireworks on Halloween. Where is this that they do that?
    The trick is that you hide outside and spray the fuckers with the garden hose while it's twenty degrees outside.

    PSN: allenquid
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the cheat wrote: »
    S-she literally said to you... "Is there something missing in this picture?" or something?

    Jesus Mary and Joseph, sir.

    I forget the exact words, but something to that effect. I just figured the dog was out in the yard or whatever. My parents figured that it would be easier on me if they didn't tell me beforehand. They were wrong.

    I mean, the dog was 13 or so, and could barely walk. It was time. But you gotta let a kid say goodbye to his dog!

    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    I don't get Guy Fawkes day... to me it seems like celebrating John Wilkes Booth... but whatever... clearly you Brits don't appreciate Halloween (despite its inception in your isles) and therefore no candy apples for you.

    No... that's cruel. Take a small one.

    Yeah, it's like they openly celebrate rebellion and treason. I mean, the guy was planning to assassinate the King. King James may have been a bad king, I dunno, never met the guy. But to celebrate it today isn't a remark against King James, it's an attack against government/religion in general. Kinda weird for a nation to celebrate treason as a united people :P
    Err, treason is not celebrated. We burn effigies of Guy Fawkes.

    We actually celebrate him being caught, hung, drawn, quartered and his entrails set alight, by making an effigy of him and setting light to it on the top of a bonfire.

    I had to explain that to a bunch of Floridians one year on holiday in Orlando, as we invited the neighbours (rented house holiday) to our Guy Fawkes party... they looked very confused, and didn't come.D:

    The whole Gunpowder Plot was allegedly a Protestant plot to discredit the remaining Catholics in England, and Guy Fawkes is supposed to have been innocent. That's the problem with the death penalty, its a bit final.

    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

    For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

    "The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    I don't get Guy Fawkes day... to me it seems like celebrating John Wilkes Booth... but whatever... clearly you Brits don't appreciate Halloween (despite its inception in your isles) and therefore no candy apples for you.

    No... that's cruel. Take a small one.

    Yeah, it's like they openly celebrate rebellion and treason. I mean, the guy was planning to assassinate the King. King James may have been a bad king, I dunno, never met the guy. But to celebrate it today isn't a remark against King James, it's an attack against government/religion in general. Kinda weird for a nation to celebrate treason as a united people :P
    Err, treason is not celebrated. We burn effigies of Guy Fawkes.

    We actually celebrate him being caught, hung, drawn, quartered and his entrails set alight, by making an effigy of him and setting light to it on the top of a bonfire.

    I had to explain that to a bunch of Floridians one year on holiday in Orlando, as we invited the neighbours (rented house holiday) to our Guy Fawkes party... they looked very confused, and didn't come.D:

    The whole Gunpowder Plot was allegedly a Protestant plot to discredit the remaining Catholics in England, and Guy Fawkes is supposed to have been innocent. That's the problem with the death penalty, its a bit final.

    Should of gone farther up north. In Jacksonville we never turn down an excuse to get drunk and light things on fire.

  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    the cheat wrote: »
    S-she literally said to you... "Is there something missing in this picture?" or something?

    Jesus Mary and Joseph, sir.

    I forget the exact words, but something to that effect. I just figured the dog was out in the yard or whatever. My parents figured that it would be easier on me if they didn't tell me beforehand. They were wrong.

    I mean, the dog was 13 or so, and could barely walk. It was time. But you gotta let a kid say goodbye to his dog!

    That is really, really mean. Your parents were dickslices.

    And to be like "Hey notice anything different?" as if they were trying to get you to notice their new haircut. Christ.

    curiosity_zpse6a674fa.jpg
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Last Halloween, one of my classmates came in dresses as a priest, so I asked him if he was headed to the school daycare.

    I'm a dick.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Last Halloween, one of my classmates came in dresses as a priest, so I asked him if he was headed to the school daycare.

    I'm a dick.

    You should have asked him how to make a little girl cry twice.

    I'm terrible.

    Thanks to all who like my costume, I promise better accurateness come the 31st!

  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    I don't get Guy Fawkes day... to me it seems like celebrating John Wilkes Booth... but whatever... clearly you Brits don't appreciate Halloween (despite its inception in your isles) and therefore no candy apples for you.

    No... that's cruel. Take a small one.

    Yeah, it's like they openly celebrate rebellion and treason. I mean, the guy was planning to assassinate the King. King James may have been a bad king, I dunno, never met the guy. But to celebrate it today isn't a remark against King James, it's an attack against government/religion in general. Kinda weird for a nation to celebrate treason as a united people :P
    Err, treason is not celebrated. We burn effigies of Guy Fawkes.

    We actually celebrate him being caught, hung, drawn, quartered and his entrails set alight, by making an effigy of him and setting light to it on the top of a bonfire.

    I had to explain that to a bunch of Floridians one year on holiday in Orlando, as we invited the neighbours (rented house holiday) to our Guy Fawkes party... they looked very confused, and didn't come.D:

    The whole Gunpowder Plot was allegedly a Protestant plot to discredit the remaining Catholics in England, and Guy Fawkes is supposed to have been innocent. That's the problem with the death penalty, its a bit final.

    I have to say, as someone who never knew about that celebration before tonight, that's pretty high on the "sicko" scale.

    Burning an effigy of an actual dude, who may have been innocent, after possibly dismembering him/it for extra gusto, just isn't an evening I want to get into.

    "The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    Spoiler:
    -Theodore Roosevelt
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus IT'S DARE! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    For all you people whining about your dogs dying on Halloween, my grandfather died on Halloween. Of cancer. I still manage to celebrate and have fun.

    Oh, so that's where you got that skeleton you put on the front porch from.

    spartasig.gif
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    Burning an effigy of an actual dude, who may have been innocent, after possibly dismembering him/it for extra gusto, just isn't an evening I want to get into.
    ...

    Tell me, what do you do on Thanksgiving?

    PSN: allenquid
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I still can't think of any good costume idea that I could reasonably pull off.

    baaaah. Halloween is a big deal at the campuses here though. I think we are all trying to live up to OU. So yeah it'll be like that everywhere for 24 hours.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgsHDwWwDo0&NR=1

    steam_sig.png
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    I don't get Guy Fawkes day... to me it seems like celebrating John Wilkes Booth... but whatever... clearly you Brits don't appreciate Halloween (despite its inception in your isles) and therefore no candy apples for you.

    No... that's cruel. Take a small one.

    Yeah, it's like they openly celebrate rebellion and treason. I mean, the guy was planning to assassinate the King. King James may have been a bad king, I dunno, never met the guy. But to celebrate it today isn't a remark against King James, it's an attack against government/religion in general. Kinda weird for a nation to celebrate treason as a united people :P
    Err, treason is not celebrated. We burn effigies of Guy Fawkes.

    We actually celebrate him being caught, hung, drawn, quartered and his entrails set alight, by making an effigy of him and setting light to it on the top of a bonfire.

    I had to explain that to a bunch of Floridians one year on holiday in Orlando, as we invited the neighbours (rented house holiday) to our Guy Fawkes party... they looked very confused, and didn't come.D:

    The whole Gunpowder Plot was allegedly a Protestant plot to discredit the remaining Catholics in England, and Guy Fawkes is supposed to have been innocent. That's the problem with the death penalty, its a bit final.

    I have to say, as someone who never knew about that celebration before tonight, that's pretty high on the "sicko" scale.

    Burning an effigy of an actual dude, who may have been innocent, after possibly dismembering him/it for extra gusto, just isn't an evening I want to get into.

    You don't dismember the effigy, you just burn it.

    It's an excuse to get drunk and blow shit up, how is that not the best event ever?

  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    I don't get Guy Fawkes day... to me it seems like celebrating John Wilkes Booth... but whatever... clearly you Brits don't appreciate Halloween (despite its inception in your isles) and therefore no candy apples for you.

    No... that's cruel. Take a small one.

    Yeah, it's like they openly celebrate rebellion and treason. I mean, the guy was planning to assassinate the King. King James may have been a bad king, I dunno, never met the guy. But to celebrate it today isn't a remark against King James, it's an attack against government/religion in general. Kinda weird for a nation to celebrate treason as a united people :P
    Err, treason is not celebrated. We burn effigies of Guy Fawkes.

    We actually celebrate him being caught, hung, drawn, quartered and his entrails set alight, by making an effigy of him and setting light to it on the top of a bonfire.

    I had to explain that to a bunch of Floridians one year on holiday in Orlando, as we invited the neighbours (rented house holiday) to our Guy Fawkes party... they looked very confused, and didn't come.D:

    The whole Gunpowder Plot was allegedly a Protestant plot to discredit the remaining Catholics in England, and Guy Fawkes is supposed to have been innocent. That's the problem with the death penalty, its a bit final.

    I have to say, as someone who never knew about that celebration before tonight, that's pretty high on the "sicko" scale.

    Burning an effigy of an actual dude, who may have been innocent, after possibly dismembering him/it for extra gusto, just isn't an evening I want to get into.

    You don't dismember the effigy, you just burn it.

    It's an excuse to get drunk and blow shit up, how is that not the best event ever?

    We already have that. It's called the 4th of July.

    Quid- Thanksgiving- celebrating the Indians teaching idiot settlers how not to starve to death. Sounds good to me. Sure, they killed them later but let's not through the baby out with the bathwater eh? :)

    "The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    Spoiler:
    -Theodore Roosevelt
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And we had guy fawkes before you had 4th of July... so?

  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    Burning an effigy of an actual dude, who may have been innocent, after possibly dismembering him/it for extra gusto, just isn't an evening I want to get into.
    ...

    Tell me, what do you do on Thanksgiving?

    You... give... thanks?

    And tend to eat a lot of food?

  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stasis wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    Burning an effigy of an actual dude, who may have been innocent, after possibly dismembering him/it for extra gusto, just isn't an evening I want to get into.
    ...

    Tell me, what do you do on Thanksgiving?

    You... give... thanks?

    And tend to eat a lot of food?
    And they're celebrating their government/nation. That's the point. Losing the spirit in the details accomplishes nothing.

    PSN: allenquid
  • RenegadeSilenceRenegadeSilence Registered User
    edited October 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    It's been ruining my birthday for years.
    I feel ya man,

    Them: Hey when is your birthday?
    Me: November 1st
    Them: We should have a costume party!
    :x

  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    It's been ruining my birthday for years.
    I feel ya man,

    Them: Hey when is your birthday?
    Me: November 1st
    Them: We should have a costume party!
    :x

    COuld be worse.

    My birthday is Nov. 1st, and growing up I got to choose between two themes depending on whether or not it was an election year.

    Halloween or Presidents!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus IT'S DARE! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd just combine the two and have my birthday be themed about dead presidents.

    You gotta pay if you want cake.

    spartasig.gif
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User
    edited October 2008
    I love Halloween. People always seem to have a great time. There is no current serious tie in to the holiday. You get to dress up as whatever you want. Who doesn't love it?! FREE CANDY!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sign In or Register to comment.