Options

Do you ever revisit old games for a half hour?

LegbaLegba He did.Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
I've got friends who, once they finish a game, will ship it off to the shop and trade it in for least some of their money back. That way they can buy more games, and don't have the hassle of a game collection they'll never revisit.

But I can't do that. Because every now and then, I'll dip back into an old game and dick around in it for half an hour - sometimes even a full evening. As recently as yesterday, I stuck Assassin's Creed back in the Xbox and (after starting a new game - damn lack of save games) spent an hour or two just assassinating guards until I got the achievement. It was fun, light, and while I have no intention of replaying the whole thing or doing all the flag-gathering achievements (which I'm also missing), I enjoyed just running around and stabbing people.

Same thing with Rainbow Six: Vegas. Every now and then I might put it back on and do a bit of terrorist hunt. Or Dead Rising - it's fun to just kill zombies for a bit. And both New Super Mario Brothers and Mario Kart DS still visit my DS from time to time.

I'm not talking about replaying the whole game. Just dicking around, killing some stuff, enjoying the gameplay. Doing maybe a level or two that you particularly enjoyed and then putting the game away again for another few weeks or months.

Does that ever happen to you guys? And if so, what games get the most random love?

Legba on

• Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Vanguard Hearts. Returned to it and got to the same point in the game where I got bored, back when I was a kid. Still fun as shit on the PS1.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cripes, yeah, all the time. Pretty much every game I own I'll pop in now and again. I just tried out a little of the original Splinter Cell again a little, then shut it off. SC:CT on the Xbox is lightyears ahead of SC on the 'cube.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God Hand is the only game I have replayed the campaign for.

Resident Evil 4 too when I feel that I can handle Proffesional.

I can't :(

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, and of course there's Tetris.

But I don't know if that even counts. It's like saying "yeah, I revisit Minesweeper all the time."

Legba on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All the time. I don't tend to sell or trade my games but then again it tends to take me forever to finish anything longer than 10-20 hours. Actually with the release of Fable 2 coming I'm almost tempted to load the first one back up and play through it again but new games and Warhammer online suck away most of my time. o_O

powersurge on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Have never ever traded in any of my games, I play my old games often, I never understood the mentality behind trading them in but all power to those that do as it enables me to buy cheaper games second hand.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As a matter of fact, watching Aliens 2 again got me in the mood to play Aliens vs Predator 2 again.

Man, that game didn't hold up well. :(

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cripes, yeah, all the time. Pretty much every game I own I'll pop in now and again.

Yep. My PS2 games I'll often play in trilogies, for some reaosn. Like R&C from 1-3. Games I'll play for a bit (or do full playthroughs of):
    -Ratchet & Clank PS2 series
    -Prince of Persia : SoT Trilogy
    -Metal Gear Solid 1-3
    -Hitman Trilogy
    -Devil May Cry 1 or 3
    -Sly Cooper series
    -Odin Sphere
    -Tenchu: Fatal Shadows
    -Enter the Matrix (fuck you, I like the pretty combat)

Games I seem to replay more than average:
    -God of War 1 and 2
    -Shadow of the Colossus
    -GUN
    -Okami
    -Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

Current-gen my most-replayed seems to be GTA IV by a country mile, followed by Siren: New Translation. On PC the most-replayed is easily Theif: The Dark Project.

That's a high-quality list. I'm a lucky guy.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can play through the entirety of Gitarooman in about an hour, so I constantly replay it.

Just one of the reasons it's my favorite game.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have purchased many games that I have ended up trading in because I don't think I'll replay them.

But there are plenty of games I have contemplated turning in but haven't, because I feel like I might want to replay them sometime.

And of course there are games I'd never consider trading in.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, games that came out a year ago are considered old now? Or heck, even a generation ago. What does that make us people who play the old BI games?

But yeah, gametap is pretty awesome

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Man, games that came out a year ago are considered old now? Or heck, even a generation ago. What does that make us people who play the old BI games?

If by BI you mean Battle Isle then I'm afraid you are suffering a severe case of awesome.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Heh. I'm afraid I only got my first console (a DS) three years ago, a PC that could play video games 2 years ago and my Wii and 360 almost a year ago, each new console following an improvement in my financial situation. It's not that I didn't play games before then, but apart from first a PS1 and then a PS2 which I shared with my brothers (and no longer have), it was always when I was visiting friends, and I simply didn't have much occasion to replay old favourites.

Actually, as far as older games go, I got a nice fuzzy feeling from loading up Quake on my DS. It still gets let out of it's cage for a twirl every now and then, and I'm happy to say that that's a game that has aged pretty well.

Legba on
  • Options
    Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I do this with the Super Mario/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet NES multicart all the time.

Syd Lexia on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I couldn't even imagine selling off my old games (still have my orginal Chrono Trigger Cart as well as the orginal cart of Tetis for the Gameboy). I constantly go back to them. Usually the games I go back to are:

-Chrono Trigger
    -Earthbound
    -Secret of Evermore
    -Zone of the Enders 2
    -Metal Gear Solid 3
    -Earthworm Jim
    -Starfox DS
    -Super Mario Bros 3

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    osietraosietra __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I still quite enjoy sticking on Just Cause for some ambient sky-diving japes. Better looking than Mercs 2 fact fans.

osietra on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never sell my game unless I'm ABSOLUTELY sure that I will never touch them again.

And only two ever made it to that list, namely Twisted Metal: Black and Ninja Gaiden 2. Both were good games, but they didn't click with me so I decided to sell them. That said, the other games, which is a lot, never get touched in the end ever again.

So I don't know, maybe I'm just sentimental.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This thread sorta reminds me of the thread that was up last week called something like, "Do you regret selling your old system?"

And I'll say in this thread what I said in that. I trade in games to Gamestop when they are having some kind of deal. Ya know, get an extra 30% if you get this certain game. Get an extra $10-$25 if you trade in X number of next-gen games.

Usually I don't miss those games, because I have shiny new ones to play with. But the OP mentions Assassin's Creed, I traded that game in a while back, and I miss that game. The graphics were great and I just loved throwing beggar women into merchant stalls!

I also miss GTAV, though I didn't like the games realism shift (the story was great, though) but nothing compares to driving around and hitting people in that game. They made it so much fun.

Other old games I boot up now and then?

-The Punisher
    -Castlevania, any really but love to run through Simon's Quest now and again.
    -SSX Tricky, love Brodi, "No fear, be hear!"
    -and pretty much anything on the SNES

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dìrhael wrote: »

If by BI you mean Battle Isle then I'm afraid you are suffering a severe case of awesome.

Battle Isle and Advance Wars are pretty much indistinguishable, though, bar the squares/hexes thing.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    While I have sold/traded in games in the past, it's pretty rare for me to do so because I have this "what if I want to play it again years from now?" mentality. It's just about as rare that I actually go back and play any of them, though.

For example, I'm looking at a list of 114 PS2 games that I own. I'd guess that I'll only ever try to play 4 or 5 of them ever again.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Super Monkey Ball keeps calling me back. Dangit man I'm so close to unlocking Master Mode! Without continues I got to Expert Extra 6, gah!

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Crazybear wrote: »
    Usually I don't miss those games, because I have shiny new ones to play with. But the OP mentions Assassin's Creed, I traded that game in a while back, and I miss that game. The graphics were great and I just loved throwing beggar women into merchant stalls!

Yeah, Assassin's Creed is pretty great for that. Just run around, brutally murder some beggar woman and then run away laughing. I'll probably play it on and off for quite some time without ever actually beating it, because it's a great game for just fooling around, doing nothing.

Legba on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I EBay my games in big batches (store trading is for chumps or the lazy) and tend to give a 'finished' game a month or so to mull over to try to judge it's potential replay value.

I'd say I'm running at a 50/50 keep to sell ratio.

Thing is, a game has to really impress me to stay. I don't have the time to run out of new games I want to play so competing for my attention a second time is tough business!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not only do I revisit old games, but I rebuy them. Over and over again.

I've re-bought Fallout, Fallout 2 and then a Fallout Collector's box.

I've re-bought Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle, and then also a Lucasarts Collector's box with them in.

I've bought the GBC, GBA, PSX and Wiiware versions of International Karate.

I've re-bought dozens of Playstation games (some for over $100 on Ebay) and am looking for more.

And yes, about once a year or so, I do revisit them and play them.

I guess I'm damaged in some way...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I keep playing through Portal.

I'm not sure why, it's completely linear.

Just that awesome.

EDIT: Of course, it's not exactly old. But y'know.

theSquid on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    All the time.

I usually hook up my SNES one a month to revisit some old classics, and I play my PS2 much more often than my 360 or my Wii. And if I'm playing my Wii, I'm playing old games that I downloaded off of the VC.

I was going to wait to get a PS3, but now that you can't buy a new PS3 that's backwards compatible I dont guess I'll ever be getting one. Unless I can find one of the Metal Gear bundles, that was the last version that could play PS2 games.

It just seems that there aren't really any good games anymore so I find myself going back and playing older ones. Most of the new releases I'm excited about nowadays are just ports or remakes of older games. I think Fable II is the first game that I've been genuinely interested in since Ninja Gaiden II (which turned out to be a letdown)

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    I'm not talking about replaying the whole game. Just dicking around, killing some stuff, enjoying the gameplay. Doing maybe a level or two that you particularly enjoyed and then putting the game away again for another few weeks or months.

Does that ever happen to you guys?
    All the time. It's what makes it so hard for me to sell games I've finished. I never know when I might get the urge to spin through a level.

The first Splinter Cell, for instance. Hadn't played it since I finished it a second time, shortly before Pandora Tomorrow. Last year I got a sudden urge to play those opening levels, though, so I popped it in, breezed through them, and scratched that itch.

Once a year I'll throw Crazy Taxi into the Dreamcast and spin aroun town for a short while. I never play for more than 10 or 15 minutes, but I enjoy that brief jump back to the game.

Sonic the Hedgehog. I play that Green Hill Zone five or six times a year, just because.

Once in a blue moon I'll replay the first two levels or so of Unreal.

And so on and so forth.

Getting rid of older games = tough for me to do.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I replay Age Of Empires 2, Mega Man 2 and Tetris a lot.

I often will put Mega Man 2 in, redoing the same pattern I always do and blow through it in an hour or so.
    For some reason, it never gets old, even if I don't try new challenges like beating all the robots masters with the normal shot. It's just fun.

Djiem on
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    Crazybear wrote: »

Yeah, Assassin's Creed is pretty great for that. Just run around, brutally murder some beggar woman and then run away laughing. I'll probably play it on and off for quite some time without ever actually beating it, because it's a great game for just fooling around, doing nothing.

Oh yeah! Or killing a guard on the edge of a roof, having him fall off the roof, and hearing the crowd below scream in terror as a dead body drops from the sky!

Then having other guards run over and shout, "Who is responsible for this!"

Damn that game was great. Why the hell did I trade it in?

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm going through some extraoridanry difficulty this very day because my desire to play the old C&Cs made me buy the First Decade.

And even then all I've done is play a single skirmish on each just to remember the old units (and thank the stars for the UI improvemnts we've been given since 94.)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never seem to do this as much as I intend to. Always get the urge to play a completed game again, and only sometimes actually give it a go. And the half-hour thing is usually what I manage, but it's normally my intention to play through the whole thing again, but I end up stopping early instead. Did this with both BioShock and The Darkness recently, but did end up playing through Mass Effect again instead.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Tiger-Tiger- Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Every other month, me and my brother replay Devil May Cry 3 with Superdante and Doppelganger our way through Dante Must Die or Heaven and Hell.
    Virgil dies so fast to dual jump canceled Beowulf kicks.

Also I like to revisit old broken fighters.
    Infinites and High damaging combos on XMvsSF, Spectral vs Generation, Hokuto no Ken, Big Bang Beat, Arcana Heart, Guilty Gear AC+, MvC2 are very fun to do.

Tiger- on
    68979-2.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I downloaded Intellivision Lives! and played a few games of Space Hawk and Frog Bog. Reminds me of being a kid again...

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's more than half an hour, but it's been a tradition for me to play through Shenmue II at least once year.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I couldn't even imagine selling off my old games (still have my orginal Chrono Trigger Cart as well as the orginal cart of Tetis for the Gameboy). I constantly go back to them. Usually the games I go back to are:

-Chrono Trigger
    -Earthbound
    -Secret of Evermore
    -Zone of the Enders 2
    -Metal Gear Solid 3
    -Earthworm Jim
    -Starfox DS
    -Super Mario Bros 3
    Man that's a fantastic little list right there. I go back to a good portion of the same games myself :)

I also have a problem with games where I never finish them so on days when I'm sick or at home I tend to pick up older games that I didn't get all the way through. The game ADD that I have is stupid.

etdragon on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I never seem to do this as much as I intend to. Always get the urge to play a completed game again, and only sometimes actually give it a go. And the half-hour thing is usually what I manage, but it's normally my intention to play through the whole thing again, but I end up stopping early instead. Did this with both BioShock and The Darkness recently, but did end up playing through Mass Effect again instead.

That's funny, because that's exactly what happened to me on BioShock. I started playing it over, fully intending to do a full second playthrough (this time without killing any little sisters) and about half an hour/hour later, I put away the controller. I did manage a second playthrough of Mass Effect, however, because going full-on Renegrade was a lot of fun. (And oh boy, the full-on Renegrade ending took me and my flatmate (who was watching) completely by surprise. :D)

Legba on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What's the full-on Renegade ending? I started up ME again because I'd just watched Casino Royale and figured a Daniel Craig Shepherd would be an interesting one to make, and I could play through as James Bond (charming with the ladies, get the job done by any means necessary otherwise).

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fucking Deadlock still has it's hooks in me.

Getting it to work in in Vista is a chore, but a rewarding one. I just played through a game yesterday, as a matter of fact. It's the only game (for me) where the harder difficulty levels truley inspire nightmares.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    What's the full-on Renegade ending?
    You tell Anderson and Ambassador What's His Face that you intended the Council to die in order to usher in a new age of human superiority, and What's His Face goes all Emperor Palpatine, crackling with pleasure and going on about how it's time Humanity shows those dirty aliens who's boss. Cut to Shepard standing in front of a world going up in flames.

It kicked ass.

Legba on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DEUS EX

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png