As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I draw stufffffffff AND PAINT!! (NSFW STUFFZ AND NSF56K)

LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hello I'm sure no one here knows me. At all. In any way shape or form. But I was wondering if you strange mysterious folks who do not know me can help grant me advice on a portfolio im making, Basically what portfolio day is... Professors from alllll different colleges come to meet at one college for one day. This day varies and June 18th at Laguna arts college there is indeeed a portfolio day occuring which, I am heading to so i can know where the hell i'm going. Anyways i'll be posting what I plan putting in my portfolio some are currently incomplete and i'll edit update them when they are new or add more when I start on them.

Portfolio Day isn't meant for scholarship but to give a idea to help give yourself a idea what college you want to go to in a simple way with advice on whether or not you are acceptable to there specific place and if become what you want to be is a viable choice for there place.

Also since some people are curious about my progress I've decided to add a number next to each peice here, so that you may look over and see the progress in it

edit: and then I completely forget its portfolio day on january 18th, today is january 27th, please excuse me while I consume large amounts of vikadin.

(incomplete)
IMG_0170.jpg 3

IMG_0173.jpg 2

IMG_0174.jpg 1

IMG_0185.jpg4

IMG_0272.jpg 4-8

2 girls 1 cup and one thing holding the cup woooo!
IMG_0258.jpg 5

IMG_0502.jpg 9

I'll be making more stufffff hopefully before then. My portfolio is kinda weak and small right now but its not something where your going to be accepted, they reveiw your latest work and tell you what is good to do for you.

splat
Loomdun on

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Very nice skeleton.

The dude looks like his skin is made of papyrus.

Tam on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So your goal is to go to this portfolio day in order to get advice on which college to go to? Is this advice on which is the best for the career you want to move into, or which is the best for your current skill level? It will be interesting to hear what all the different professors/artists say. i'm sure there will be plenty of contradictions :)

Your work looks very good. THat top one looks like it is coming out of the page. Nice shading. I couldn'ty possibly offer advice on your artwork, but with your porfolio, make sure you make it look professional. Not over the top, but make sure you make good quality re-productions of your work, and print them off and bind them in a clean, well designed way.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    what? Why would I want to copy my originals and show that to people at this place?......

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It might sound crazy, but i was assuming you'd be reproducing them. Are you showing a lot of your work, or just a handfull of your best?

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No these ones i'm not selling, I am merely presenting them as what I can do to these people, I have not even looked into reproducing and selling stuff i'm more concerned with learning. Rather then selling. The most stuff i'll have if I bring alot of stuff is 10 i'm guessing.

If people offer me money to do there portrait (which I have now received a few times) then sure I will because I then get a free study + me getting money instead sweeeeet. Wait..... Well I mean I don't go out looking for it they come to me meh I don't even go outside unless I ride the bus. Which is where i run into everyone for some reason.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    how did that study go, anyway?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It was pretty nifty I made 300 dollars and didn't think about taking a picture

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    ouch. still, that's the situation where i'd look at the $300 and shrug and go do another one, because seriously, congratulations again on getting that commission

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    thank youu i'll probably update tommorow

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Updating, working on the hair right now, then i'll smooth out the arm a tad more then work on more shading for the torso yada yada anything to throw it willl be appreciated, I'll probably just update the title whenever I edit my pictures now.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    so uh, After this drawing is done i'm not going to have anymore ideas if anyoneee here can atleast tell me something to draw to add to my portfolio pleaseeee.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    An Elephant in a row boat race
    or
    A hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil......

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    An Elephant in a row boat race
    or
    A hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil drawing a hand and pencil......

Okay I shall do a hand but no elephant.. Not yet atleast.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do some stuff that arent studies. Schools like to see a mix of academic stuff like this and "art" stuff.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    if thats true then I may be putting a elephant in a rowboat race sooner then later. And thankssssss.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Anyways as you may know I said I was going to do hands, like... 2-3 days ago, then... I realized... I was reallly shitty with hands because it was the first thing I learned 3 years ago, then I did not practice it at all.

sooo I had to spend these 3 days studying how to draw hands.. And now I only have about.... 15 hours before this assignment is due.

IMG_0194.jpg

Plus mustang wanted me to draw hands. Anyways, any comments/Errors in the drawing, Anything to add or if the absence of space on the right side is a nice addition. Pleasee do say. I'll be starting to work on this again in one hour.

for now though I shall waitttt.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think you need to add some more basic exercises in to your portfolio to round it out better.

Throw in some perspective pieces, planar analysis, a couple of pages of your best gestures. Set up some compositional pieces to show them you know your stuff. Wouldn't hurt to toss in a couple of paintings to boot.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I do have a couple peices of basic 1 point and 2 point perspective peices, as well as some abstract stuff. But my professor currently has all my work, this is all the stuff I have that he does not have right now, i'll be getting that junk back soon enough.

Also I dont get a painting class till next semester. And I dont want to waste my money on oils when I only have experience with acrylic and waste it like a fat kid wastes ketchup on his fries.

Oh but good idea on gestures, I do have a few ..... I'll pull that out if its still in tact.

Hold on getting something

Anyways, I dont have a life drawing class right now, but I sometimes walk in there class whenever I can which isn't very often. So I dont have MUCH.... But I got to do a 15 minute gesture in my human anatomy class for once, we dont have many sessions with such drawings because we usually have to, surprise, study the muscle and skeletal structure. I know who would guess.

IMG_0195.jpg

so use something like this?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why is her arm intersecting her head?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    She was resting her arm in her hair and she had huge hair so it was just kinda like meh if there was time i could of drawn the fact hair was passing by but all I could do was show the little hair bun and it pushing through it.

Edit: I personally cant wait till I get a life drawing class though I want to do this stuff. But I also understand the importance of learning the entire skeletal/muscle structure first so oh well. The semester is almost over and I feel much more well rounded off then if I went straight to life drawing.

Worst part is on days we do get a model. We have to spend the first hour to 2 hours first re-going over what we had to understand for the section such as neck muscle structure how it bends ect then apply it to the bone then critique our assignments. So we only get a hour really to draw, and the class is cut 10 minutes short every day so really only 50 minutes /wristtttt... I'm just glad we dont have to remember the names for it. It's just as effective for me to say "That thing on the side of your neck thats thick which is technically your back but so big you can see it on the front"

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Did you study the neck that day you raped my thread with neck commentary?

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No that was actually ironically like 2 weeks later, and I was sitting there going "huh..... Cakemikz." I just like to draw necks. And thenn I was flipping throughh all your work and it would be like "oh em gee detail" then I started flipping through more and it felt like this

O = head Detailed
    o = neck Flat block
    ( . ) ( . ) = Torso omg detailed

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    I do have a couple peices of basic 1 point and 2 point perspective peices, as well as some abstract stuff. But my professor currently has all my work, this is all the stuff I have that he does not have right now, i'll be getting that junk back soon enough.

That's not much of an excuse man. You can easily do another perspective piece or two at home; a simple one or two point perspective will do the job fine.

And you don't need a model to do gestures, just try going out in public and drawing people in cafes or on the street. Stuff like this for example:
    aflas2.jpg

The gestures is so important it's not even funny. At school it's all we've been doing for at least half of the time spent there.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh sure I can easily do another point perspective, but why bother when I'll be getting it back in like a week when I have 3-4 other assignments thrown on me already. I'm just saying I cant pull it out because of the fact my teacher is holding on to it.

My sketchbook is filllled with gesture drawings, and I do have some newsprint with gesture drawings as well. I'll pull that out zzz I usually do gesture drawings on the bus since its the only time i'm outside asides when i'm at class.
    IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

When I cant get myself to draw I just draw a bunch of squares circles and triangles in the sloppyish fashion possible. I usually try to make it like 2-3 second drawings each just to get use to making objects when I draw the basics of other crap.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seriously... why draw MORE when you've already drawn stuff? *rollseyes*

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Edit: I sound retarded enough reading the whole sentence. Don't need to make me enraged by dissecting my sentences to make me sound even more retarded.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    IMG_0196.jpg

Take a look at these:

1331669394_c8703f3c50.jpg

Try to make your marks more fluid...instead of drawing with your wrist, use your wrist AND your arm. Get a bigger sketchbook, and/or just make a single gesture per page. Instead of going back-and-forth with every line....try to make the entire line in one "swoop". If you don't nail the line the first time, you can try another "swoop" (which you see in that posted image).

Also, try to initially lay out (and FIGURE out) the movement the body is making. If the entire pose had to be defined by a *single line*, what would it look like? Build the bulk of the figure so that it follows (or exemplifies) that same single line.

It looks less like you're doing gestures, and more like you're just making fast contour drawings. Don't be too concerned with the details (exact shape of the head, etc), and don't be afraid to draw through the figure more - like, draw the circle/ellipses of where a limb meets the torso. Draw the head, torso, pelvis first...and then add limbs. This helps get that initial "gesture" down that the entire body is making, and get proportions down correctly.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Gestures are about the energy in the pose, not stuff outlines. You want to not only find that electricity, but harness it on paper. You have to move your entire arm when doing gestures; it's a requirement.

Do enough gestures and you could be pumping out stuff like this:
    2008_08250553.jpg

2008_08250554.jpg

And yeah, these should be huge. Well, the ones i posted should. If you're going to do gestures, squeeze no more than four on a page at a time.

Godfather on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Honestly I have never really understood how other schools do gestures. For us they are just like quick miniature normal drawings.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    OHHHHHHHHHH thats a gestureeeeeee. Hold on I have that stuff to. Oh and I got to finally draw a model today.

IMG_0200.jpg

wooo I ruv pencil

Hold on i'll pull out those drawings for yah. Edit: oh right 50 minutes if curious

Since my college isn't really a art university. Its a public college they dont go as in depth teachings like Specific gestures or what not. But I've personally picked up by drawing on my own what it means. EXCEPT I do know what you people are talking about using my wrist to much. It's something i've been practicing on fixing for a while now and it has improved tremendously over the past few months but i'm stilll getting there with it. I'm just so use to "feather strokes" because it was how I first learned. But I personally hate it.
    IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Oops... I uploaded all the images sideways. OH WELL. But yah I'm trying to get to gestures like night dragons, I'll just practice more with it tonight. After I finish my next project first. I'm just glad I got hands out of the way for now sheesh.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Honestly I have never really understood how other schools do gestures. For us they are just like quick miniature normal drawings.

To be honest, my own gestures are similar to that...and I more do "blocks" of shapes instead of flowy lines like I posted....I just feel that the "flowy lines" type will honestly help Loomdun more than any other kind, at this point...because getting those done, and getting them done properly, will help his stuff become less stiff, with more of a sense of movement, etc etc.

...and from what I can see, Loomy, you're getting the right idea. Try to actually make "forms" now (once you've got the marking technique down) and give them the same movement (using the same swooping lines) as the underlying gesture line.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I shallllll make sure to practice that tomorrow on the bus where people cant escape me.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So anyways, alll I got for updates is my statue drawing. But I have a question, my professor said he would help show me how to apply a blackening background to the drawing thingy. But then my other professor said "it looks lovely withouttt a black background dear". So what is everyones opinion here? Once it is done should I add a black background to it or not.

Edit: because I've never really thought much about using a black background but figured this is something I should consider on it.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    last random update for a while. I cant draw at the moment due to few injuries + my right arm being over-exhausted, I'll start working on that statue again in 4 days. But for now, I tried practicing with the lines on jesters.

Also, I've realized that how I draw faces is flawed, so I need to do do a equivalent study on the faces from which I managed to pull off on hands.
    IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

As you can see faces is now my biggest dillemna, I can pull accurate measures. If I'm given a absurd amount of time. But I dont understand the proper steps to measuring the face like I now do with the body/Arms/Hands, (Not sure on legs and feet have yet to cover those in class).

And because of that, I do crappy face drawings like what I just posted.

cant strain my arm at the moment but once i'm able to draw again I'll get right on that

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As you can tell I have yet to reveiw faces, I'm waiting for this coming weekend I'm just being packed with loads of work I cant pull off a study like that right now. But I gone through one of my little splurges in learning to draw with the figure. HERES SOME STUFF
    IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

I feel like i'm talking to myself, Hello loomdun above me, and the other loomdun above that loomdun, how are you? I like your name. Why am I even doing this? Oh right... ANYWAYS... *cricket cricket cricket* HAI!

Edit: oh right if anyone is even reading this and if even curious, they where 10 minute sketches

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Check your head sizes dude, you got baby head syndrome going on in all of those.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Like I just said I need to pull a head study I was focusing on everything except the head because I already know I dont understand how to apply that, this was a reveiw on everything except the head, mainly because its like the only thing I have yet to understand. I do concentrated studies.

edit: but thank you.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    buddy you can put in a sphere that is proportionally correct to the bodies without doing a head study... I am 100% confident you can draw a circle - I'm just asking you to lay in proportions correctly with basic building blocks.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm sure if I took extra time that doesn't exist to try to make the head fit right. But no not proportionally perfect, I'm going to have to review how to overlook everything to make the head feel fine. I already know that if I spent a extra 2 minutes on the head I could get it to fit, but then thats one fifth of 10 minutes.

So instead of wasting 20% of my time trying to fit something which I won't understand completely. I feel its better to use all the time to analyze everything else because I already know that my understanding of the head is weak

Edit: I do speed drawings of specific segments 2-5 minutes. if I dont get the accuracy on it right (such as you commented on building blocks on hands 2 weeks ago which I got down lately) then it means I have a weakness in the understanding of how its created.

In other words, the fact that I can't apply the correct measurements to the head is a obvious sign that i'm going to have to go into a study in order to understand the appliance of it more fluidly, accurate, and faster.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    No no no....

You are thinking in segments and that's the problem. Doing a head study is not going to help you out for this - you need to practice relating the body to the head. This should be done in the initial 10-30 seconds - when you lay out your gesture establishing the pose.

This isn't about an understanding of the head, this is a lack of understanding of the head in proportion to the body. I don't care about features or anything, just an orb with a horizontal and vertical axis to establish direction. Talk about taking 2-3 minutes to "make it fit" shows your lack of understanding - you don't make the head fit, you start with a gesture of the pose with everything in position so that you don't have to start piecing things together. Once you start thinking about pieces you can guarantee that you will always have a disjointed, out of proportion pose. You start thinking about pieces after everything is laid out, well proportioned, and you are doing fine rendering - something you aren't going to be doing in 10 minutes.

10 minutes is plenty of time to get all the proportions laid out with some musculature and beginning rendering.

Virum on