As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND 2: Use the new thread

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh, you didn't hear?

Yeah, Shady couldn't even get his gift. I have to mail it to him now. Suuuuuuuuuuck...

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I did hear that.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kotaku (I know I know) is reporting that Axl Rose himself, in a Q&A, said Chineese Democracy will be a full album download.

As it seems EVERY SINGLE full album rumor (with the exception of Nirvana) has come true (including that 'Moving Pictures' one, which I was positive was a lie), and it's sourced from Axl himself, I believe it.

I will not be purchasing it however.

And with that, I'm off to continue to search for R.E.M.'s manager's e-mail address. Murmur just re-released it's "Deluxe Annaversary Edition", so a full album download is needed ASAP.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Erandus wrote: »
    Arikado wrote: »
    it's a cherry on my awesome weekend which included seeing an awesome concert. Franz Ferdinand and the Killers rocked the joint so hard and I have an even bigger appreciation for Paramore now.

You can go to hell, btw.

It's cool, you can tell Morgan where to go too, she went to the concert. It was my money that bought your gift anyway.

I was talking to Arikado, but I guess Morgan can join him since you were so sweet to think of me. :winky:
    Oh, you didn't hear?

Yeah, Shady couldn't even get his gift. I have to mail it to him now. Suuuuuuuuuuck...

In my defense, I figure that's its own little punishment.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Kotaku (I know I know) is reporting that Axl Rose himself, in a Q&A, said Chineese Democracy will be a full album download.

After being inflicted with Shackler's Revenge, this will be getting a big pass from me.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

As it seems EVERY SINGLE full album rumor (with the exception of Nirvana) has come true (including that 'Moving Pictures' one, which I was positive was a lie), and it's sourced from Axl himself, I believe it.

And with that, I'm off to continue to search for R.E.M.'s manager's e-mail address. Murmur just re-released it's "Deluxe Annaversary Edition", so a full album download is needed ASAP.

I bet you just to spite you it'll be a DLC for GH:WT.
    U2's next album is coming out next year. OMG, let them at least deliver a pack on either GH:WT or RB2.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All I want from U2 is Where the Streets Have No Name. I don't care about any of their other songs.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, I have a question for the group. My gold live account expired this week, and I'm debating on renewing it. (I'm aware buying a 12+1 month card from Amazon is usually the best deal.) However, I don't often play online, so I'm not sure it's worth the money. RB2 is most of what I play online, if at all, so what else will I be missing if I don't renew?

Ballman on
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ten??? Really? I think my head's going to explode. I've wanted to sing black for forever; now I can!! Wooho that album is full of win!

toolbert on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Keep in mind Axl says a lot of things.

Such as "Chinese Democracy is coming out this year!" said over the past 14 years.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I bet you just to spite you it'll be a DLC for GH:WT.
    U2's next album is coming out next year. OMG, let them at least deliver a pack on either GH:WT or RB2.

They already got the "Accelerate" album pack. I have been spited enough dammit. $10 a year fan club membership for 10 years has to get me SOME pull, c'mon!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Amazon put the single cymbal out for sale today. According to the site, they only have 5 left.

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Single-Cymbal-Expansion-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001G5BM8M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1229377773&sr=8-3

Its the only place I've seen that has a somewhat reliable standpoint to sell them.

Also, purchase today and you'll get it by the 22nd.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's an Amazon affiliate selling it for over MSRP, plus $9 shipping. :(

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Its free shipping if you can find something else to buy with it. :(

Kor on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Related to the cymbal, I received my 3rd Ion cymbal today. I'll be hooking it up once I get home from work. Hopefully all will work well, it'll just take me some time to get used to using it. I'm going to make it my ride cymbal, which will make songs like the Boston stuff much more fun since it uses a lot of the ride.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Such as "Chinese Democracy is coming out this year!" said over the past 14 years.

Axl revealed in Rolling Stone (I think it was the last issue), that he couldn't, in good conscience, release Chinese Democracy without an interactive entertainment game simulating musical instruments to springboard his fame (and wallet). There was a chronicle of how Nintendo was on their way to complete thier fabled music game, to be released on the 64DD. Needless to say, the entire project fell by the wayside, and Rose had to continue to patiently wait, like a maligned prophet.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ballman wrote: »
    So, I have a question for the group. My gold live account expired this week, and I'm debating on renewing it. (I'm aware buying a 12+1 month card from Amazon is usually the best deal.) However, I don't often play online, so I'm not sure it's worth the money. RB2 is most of what I play online, if at all, so what else will I be missing if I don't renew?

Early demos and some other content comes open to Gold members like a week or two early. I think they're starting weekly sales for gold members too? I'm not sure on that one.

I don't play online often much either, but at $40 for 13 months (or... $3 a month), it's certainly nice having the option of playing online when I want to, as well as getting the occasional early demo.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Axl revealed in Rolling Stone (I think it was the last issue), that he couldn't, in good conscience, release Chinese Democracy without an interactive entertainment game simulating musical instruments to springboard his fame (and wallet). There was a chronicle of how Nintendo was on their way to complete thier fabled music game, to be released on the 64DD. Needless to say, the entire project fell by the wayside, and Rose had to continue to patiently wait, like a maligned prophet.

*blink*

More like he had to wait until he had somehow gathered enough material for the most overprocessed album the Earth has ever witnessed while continuing to piss off every musician who dared work with him in a matter of months.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    T-DuckT-Duck Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Has there been any mention of releasing Rock Band Track Pack Volume 1 for Xbox 360 or PS3, along with an export code? I'm always looking to save a few bucks.

T-Duck on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    T-Duck wrote: »
    Has there been any mention of releasing Rock Band Track Pack Volume 1 for Xbox 360 or PS3, along with an export code? I'm always looking to save a few bucks.

There doesn't seem to be any. Right or wrong, their position suggests that you can already buy these tracks anyway so it didn't matter. It's not like Vol. 2 is much of a deal for folks who have maybe half of the songs already...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's a pretty sweet deal for someone who just bought RB2. When I was out at the mall last week, they had them stocked side by side at Target and I overheard the electronics guy try to pitch the Volume 2 pack to a lady buying the RB2 Special Edition.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You should really add the TRU deal to the top of the OP.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's a pretty sweet deal for someone who just bought RB2. When I was out at the mall last week, they had them stocked side by side at Target and I overheard the electronics guy try to pitch the Volume 2 pack to a lady buying the RB2 Special Edition.

Or for those without access to the internets, etc... I'm not saying it's definitely a bad deal, only that it isn't a great deal if you already have a bunch of the songs.

Can you delete songs individually like it was an export from RB1? Or is it like the AC/DC pack and all or nothing? Because I look at the track listing and I see I have seven of the songs with an interest in maybe two more. Can't say I'd be fully happy with getting that in absence of having any DLC already.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey guys. Drumming is pretty fun. Just letting you all know that.

I am getting better at using my whole drumset now. On the lower level songs and the songs I know well, I try to use the cymbals as much as I actually can. I have finally gotten the muscle memory of where everything is on my set so that I am not hitting the wrong pad at the wrong time anymore.

I also managed to 5 star both Dead on Arrival and Next to You recently. Those were the only songs other than Run to the Hills that I couldnt 5 star in RB1. So yeah, I am getting better :)

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

*blink*

More like he had to wait until he had somehow gathered enough material for the most overprocessed album the Earth has ever witnessed while continuing to piss off every musician who dared work with him in a matter of months.

Me riffing on Axl sarcastically has failed.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, so I've been doing pretty well in Easy mode on the guitar since I got RB2 on Sunday (it's my first time ever playing a guitar game aside from picking up a guitar for half a song [I think it was Guitar Hero II at the time that was out] at Gamestop once), and I felt like a hot shot because of it, so I went up to medium and chose the "local set" in my tour (a 5 song set).

First song went well, though I wasn't expecting the skill jump. I was figuring you'd just have to use the blue key, but you had to use the blue key AND hit two frets at once, which caught me by surprise and made me miss the first dozen or so notes before I got the hang of it... but I recovered and got about 75%, which I felt good about, and falsely inflated my ego further in preparation for the big fall.

Then came the second set... "Rockin' me baby".

Jesus Christ. It was the same note, but it was going so fast that I couldn't move my finger fast enough. Basically I resorted to pushing the note-making tab thingy up and down (in effect, strumming it) while trying to keep the beat, which did moderately okay, but I completely lost it when I had to change from strumming on one fret to strumming on another, so I never racked up more than a 2x multiplier (and never got into overdrive mode). They booed me off the stage, and my character stared at his guitar quizzically as if IT were somehow the problem. He should've been staring up through the TV and at me. =)

For songs like that, do you guys "strum" the guitar as well, or do you just hit it in one direction really fast? I get the feeling that I may want to keep on easy for just a little bit longer until I get used to it. =)

EDIT: also my wife was dying to try the drums... she did okay the first time, but felt like she should've done better so she almost gave up. I convinced her to try again, and do practice mode. I watched as she went through the first 20 or so patterns in the practice mode before getting bored and going to bed... some eggregiously long time later (I think it was somewhere around 6 or 7am), my wife comes into bed. She went through the patterns until she got 95% or more on all of them. (EDIT 2: Originally I put that she went through all 76. I'm not positive that she did, but she said she went through all of them)

She's kicking ass on easy now. I had this feeling that she'd be a natural at it. I was watching her... dispite my encouragement I gave her to keep going, I don't think that I could even begin to do it. There is an... intense amount of notes in the drumming mode. Even on Easy. But it's the end of day 2 now, and she's 5 starring the songs in easy mode.

I'm afraid to bring her up to medium mode though, lest she run into her own "Rockin' Me Baby" there and get discouraged. I think we're going to both sit in easy for another day or two and hone our skills a bit before moving on.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah, you should definitely be strumming up and down on the fast parts

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What you're talking about is alternate strumming, versus down strumming. Definitely, definitely alternate strum. The earlier you start, the easier it will be for you. It's a great skill to have.

And yeah, it starts out being very awkward. But just keep at it and you'll be doing fine.

Also, go up to higher difficulties as soon as possible. You'll get acclimated more quickly than you think. I figure, once you can get above 80% most of the time on one difficulty, move up to the next one. The way to gain skill the fastest is to be constantly challenged. You can relax once you get to Expert. :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For songs like that, do you guys "strum" the guitar as well, or do you just hit it in one direction really fast? I get the feeling that I may want to keep on easy for just a little bit longer until I get used to it. =)

I've played very little guitar in RB2 having a focus on drums, but I did play through both Guitar Hero 1 and 2 on expert only downstrumming with my thumb in sort of a slap-bass type style. On some songs you kind of have to switch to legit up/down strumming (Misirlou type songs with crazy rapid strings of notes), but I think it's easier to handle rapid note/timing shifts only dealing with one strum direction.

However looking back I would definitely try to learn by doing the up/down strum. It's really difficult to go back and teach yourself a different way to play, and up/down is the superior way if you have the hang of it.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FightTest wrote: »

I've played very little guitar in RB2 having a focus on drums, but I did play through both Guitar Hero 1 and 2 on expert only downstrumming with my thumb in sort of a slap-bass type style. On some songs you kind of have to switch to legit up/down strumming (Misirlou type songs with crazy rapid strings of notes), but I think it's easier to handle rapid note/timing shifts only dealing with one strum direction.

However looking back I would definitely try to learn by doing the up/down strum. It's really difficult to go back and teach yourself a different way to play, and up/down is the superior way if you have the hang of it.

It's just a matter of practice. I forced myself from the very beginning to do up and down strumming, and it becomes absolutely natural after a while, and you don't have any of the timing issues that people who are used to downstrumming complain about.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm decent with alt-strumming, mostly upstrum individual notes, and can't stand downstrumming anymore.

I...don't quite know how that happened.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hmm, I'll try this alternate strumming more. I seemed to be able to keep time with it okay when I was forced into doing it on that crazy song (though not great, I'd miss ~every 6th or 7th, so I definitely was lagging or leading by a little bit), if not for the transitions. The transitions obliterated me, I didn't hit a single transition between frets.

I'll keep on medium though, and give it a shot.

I think I'll try and convince my wife to go up to medium as well... but she's very easily discouraged if she doesn't do well at something (which, at times, is very frustrating =) ). I'll just keep encouraging her while staring in disbelief at the notes passing by. Seriously, I don't know how someone can play the drums. It makes the guitar look like the Fisher Price version of the game from what I was seeing on the screen. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've got this weird hierarchy of strumming patterns that I use. Most of the time, I downstrum. If things get a bit quick, but it's too slow (or too awkward of a rhythm) to alt-strum, I up-strum using my first and middle fingers together. I'm a little bit quicker and have more strength that way. Finally, if the notes come too quickly for that, or are in a good regular rhythm, I'll alt-strum.

Ballman on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Um, if you are playing easy/medium there really arent any sections that you will have to alt-strum. You can get by just fine downstrumming most of the game. Even at expert, I tend to downstrum almost everything except the really super fast stuff.

If you wish to learn alt-strumming now, go ahead. I suppose it makes the most sense since you are still learning the game so you wont have to "relearn" how to altstrum later. Dont be ashamed if you cant get your mind around it soon. Like I said, alot of people downstrum almost everything and do just fine.

Another tip I have is to always push yourself. Dont worry about how much you may be failing out. As long as you can eventually get through the songs, you will get better. Always push yourself to do the harder difficulties or at least the harder songs. It will pay off. All of a sudden you will start 5 starring songs that you thought were impossible a few weeks ago. Just push through the fails.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alt-strumming came naturally to me way back with GH2. (Even though I was only doing Easy/Medium stuff :P)

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've more or less always alt-strummed on all the Harmonix guitar games.

This is due to:
    1.) playing real guitar and being used to the motion

and

2.) starting out on Guitar Freaks (yeah for imported PS2), where it is a fucking necessity for the faster stuff (if you could downstrum shit like Dragon Blade, you are not human).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't get the timing for alt-strumming down, and I started on GH1. I've also never needed it, though. I just down-strum expert songs.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Something about seeing people using only their thumb to strum, with their hand spread across the guitar just bothers me.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ballman wrote: »

Early demos and some other content comes open to Gold members like a week or two early. I think they're starting weekly sales for gold members too? I'm not sure on that one.

I don't play online often much either, but at $40 for 13 months (or... $3 a month), it's certainly nice having the option of playing online when I want to, as well as getting the occasional early demo.

Something else to add, though it might be a bit late.

If you yourself, or anyone you know has access to a Military Base (in the states), the BX or PX is selling Military Appreciation Xbox Live Memberships.

Its the standard 12+1 Month deal, at its normal cost, but comes with 2000 free MS points.

Kor on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Too bad my closest base is Offutt, aka home of Stratcom, aka good luck getting anywhere near that motherfucker.

FyreWulff on