As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Disappointing Big-Name Titles So Far...

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    When does Farcry 2 start being fun?

When you press ALT+F4

I don't know, I forced myself to play it because I spent $50 on it and hated it, but at around 8 hours in, I started to enjoy myself.

Nothing about the game really changed by then, so it's probably some sort of Stockholm.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    farcry2 is a pretty dull sandbox. Pretty environment, but the gameplay is pretty tedious and I can't really play the game for very long.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Here's a new dissapointment for me. Burnout Paradise.

I got it for 24 bucks on Black Friday and just started playing it, so maybe my opinion will change, but it just doesn't seem to be delivering like all the other burnouts. I done a few races, and I rarely see my opponents, just cause I end up taking a different route than they do.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After you get to the end of act one, Facry2 really picks up in my opinion.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »

I think the map design is just a bit better on map 2, less checkpoints, everything's closer to bus stops and you've figured out to basically ignore everything. It's still exactly the same gameplay though.

Rook on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »

I think the map design is just a bit better on map 2, less checkpoints, everything's closer to bus stops and you've figured out to basically ignore everything. It's still exactly the same gameplay though.

Wel, I had some really fun weapons, and I started playing it as Marty, Machete ninja with a Dragonuv.

Also the story started to get a little bit better. And what you said.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    No, but the developers had to sacrifice their lives. If you asked anyone that worked on it, the end result was great, but actually making the game was hell.

Every line of dialogue still did cost something, just not as much.

Yeah, it's art, of course people sacrifice their lives, their sanity, and their hopes and dreams, it wouldn't be art otherwise.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

I got it for 24 bucks on Black Friday and just started playing it, so maybe my opinion will change, but it just doesn't seem to be delivering like all the other burnouts. I done a few races, and I rarely see my opponents, just cause I end up taking a different route than they do.

No, if you don't like it now, your opinion won't change. I am the same way... This was the weakest Burnout they've made. Revenge, Takedown, and 3 are all superior to this one.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

No, if you don't like it now, your opinion won't change. I am the same way... This was the weakest Burnout they've made. Revenge, Takedown, and 3 are all superior to this one.

Brain-dead monkey fuckers!
    :P

EDIT: Also, 3 and Takedown are the same game, don't know why you counted them as two games.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

EDIT: Also, 3 and Takedown are the same game, don't know why you counted them as two games.
    Because it was just that awesome.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »

Because it was just that awesome.

No denying Takedown is awesome. Along with Ridge Racer V, it was the only PS2 racer I gave a shit about. Then I bought Paradise on 360 when it came out and initially wasn't impressed. Cool idea, but I had problems with wrecking all the time while trying to look at the map. Downloaded Burnout 3: Takedown on the Xbox Originals program, and it seemed so...tame after Paradise.

Borrowed a friend's copy of Paradise for PS3 a few months back and something just clicked this time. I no longer had the map-reading-while-driving problem, and it became pure gold. Probably will end up my #2 or 3 Game of the Year at this point.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I knew what I was getting into regarding some of the complaints I heard of this game; the whole map thing, no quick way to restart races, etc. But for some reason it didn't dawn on me that the open world might affect the races. I just haven't gotten a lot of chances to take down someone. It's become more about finding the faster route and not crashing.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I knew what I was getting into regarding some of the complaints I heard of this game; the whole map thing, no quick way to restart races, etc. But for some reason it didn't dawn on me that the open world might affect the races. I just haven't gotten a lot of chances to take down someone. It's become more about finding the faster route and not crashing.

Well one of those problems is getting "fixed" (if you would call it that), they're adding a patch in early next year that will allow you to restart races.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I actually stopped trying to come up with devious routes in Paradise after I kept crashing into all the confusing side-streets, and usually just focus on the obvious route and taking out the others. Getting used to the direction cues and the routes helps smooth things out, too.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Borrowed a friend's copy of Paradise for PS3 a few months back and something just clicked this time. I no longer had the map-reading-while-driving problem, and it became pure gold. Probably will end up my #2 or 3 Game of the Year at this point.

I'm in the same position you were., map-reading-while-driving-wise. I want to like this game and everybody says it becomes amazing once you're familiar with the map, but I keep crashing and it's so frustrating and I have to keep checking the map and I'm in a foreign country and my jaw is clicking.

I've shelved the game for now, making an excuse that my TV's so small that I can't tell my dividers from my ramps.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I remember when the complaint about TP was "It's just OoT, but with prettier graphics! And Wagglelol!" How did it change to being a horrible game? What exact mechanic made it bad? Because it isn't a bad game by any sane sense or definition of the word. It may not be super revolutionary, but it wasn't meant to be. It was meant to placate the "more like Celda!" idiots, and it came out pretty sweet.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I remember when the complaint about TP was "It's just OoT, but with prettier graphics! And Wagglelol!" How did it change to being a horrible game? What exact mechanic made it bad? Because it isn't a bad game by any sane sense or definition of the word. It may not be super revolutionary, but it wasn't meant to be. It was meant to placate the "more like Celda!" idiots, and it came out pretty sweet.

not really. bad minigames and mechanics do not a good game make.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I know this is going to get stupid, but... What minigames are you talking about? Also, what bad mechanics?

urahonky on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I think sometimes people have some sort of apprehension to "more of the same." A lot of times this is warranted, but to me there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing some more of the same if it's really highly polished and done better than what it's doing the same as. Case and point: Uncharted. If you look in the PS3 thread there's a discussion about this one. By my own admission it doesn't really do anything new, but what it does do and what it does take from what the industry has established is polished and done so great beyond what I've played before that I just don't care.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I know this is going to get stupid, but... What minigames are you talking about? Also, what bad mechanics?

Pretty much all of them. Horse fighting on the bridge, flying through the canyon thing, the boat, all are unresponsive and crap.

And mechanics is possibly the wrong word. Just little retarded things, like the fact you have no attack when you're a wolf, and they're on the floor, or the twitchiness of link, or the fact that motion controls just suck. It just feels like noone actually played the damn thing before releasing it.

To me at least. Everyone else seemed to love it so maybe I'm just crazy.

To be fair, I also think that generally motion control is a poor choice, and the wii is a bit of a failed experiment for conventional games.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yes I'd really like to know this too. Maybe it's rose colored glasses because it was a launch title on my most anticipated system, but I had fun playing TP and don't remember a lot of minigames.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Pretty much all of them. Horse fighting on the bridge, flying through the canyon thing, the boat, all are unresponsive and crap.

And mechanics is possibly the wrong word. Just little retarded things, like the fact you have no attack when you're a wolf, and they're on the floor, or the twitchiness of link, or the fact that motion controls just suck. It just feels like noone actually played the damn thing before releasing it.

To me at least. Everyone else seemed to love it so maybe I'm just crazy.

To be fair, I also think that generally motion control is a poor choice, and the wii is a bit of a failed experiment for conventional games.

Hmm. The funny thing is... I think you just made me want to play through the game again, just by reminding me of the horse fighting and the boat.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hehe, well I'm glad other people had fun with it, because I couldn't.

Well that's not quite true, it was just constantly disappointing, it'd raise my hopes then dash them, there were like 2 great temples, but the rest were rather irritating.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hope that one of them was the temple with the dual claws.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I was disappointed by Twilight Princess on the Wii.

I did, however, sell that version and get Twilight Princess on the Cube instead, which was phenomenal.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Other than obviously the Wii remote, and mirrored worlds... The game was exactly the same UnbreakableVow. I hate to break it to you. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Other than obviously the Wii remote, and mirrored worlds... The game was exactly the same UnbreakableVow. I hate to break it to you. :P

We have a winner.

Waggle-to-attack is the worst possible fucking thing in Wii games, unless used sparingly (like spin attacks in SMG or finishing attacks in No More Heroes).

EDIT: And yeah, I like my Link left-handed as well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i can definitely see how waggle attacking would get annoying for some. it never did for me though, and I never felt like the controls got in the way of the game. Did they feel tacked on? Sure, but personally I thought the pointer controls made up for at least part of the waggle.

that said, i may have been slightly blinded by my fanboy love of zelda :P

Guek on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah. See... It never bothered me as you never really had to swing the remote all that hard. But I'll accept that as a fault for others.

But the fact that I could aim the bow with the remote balanced that out.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'm in the same position you were., map-reading-while-driving-wise. I want to like this game and everybody says it becomes amazing once you're familiar with the map, but I keep crashing and it's so frustrating and I have to keep checking the map and I'm in a foreign country and my jaw is clicking.

I've shelved the game for now, making an excuse that my TV's so small that I can't tell my dividers from my ramps.

I finally managed to beat off the "Must play Burnout Paradise" bug that kept nagging me and have avoided buying it, but then I got word that they will be adding The Back to the Future Delorean, the General Lee and a couple other famous cars in an update next year. Fuck me the bug is back. Back off!

EDIT: Also, I loved everything the Wii brought to TP. My only complaint with that game was it's length. It was too long for me, and I started burning out near the end.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The most interesting aspects of Z:TP were the moments in which it linked OoT to LttP. Like when you realize that the Master Sword is in the ruins of the Temple of Time, as it's slowly being taken over by the forest. As soon as that song started playing, and you had to chase it to find the way... that was awesome.

The rest of the game? Pretty meh.

Houn on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The waggle controls for TP were fine. Much better than the previous 3d zelda ones.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The waggle wasn't that bad, but more importantly, the wiimote let you aim the bow and clawshot so much better that there really wasn't any contest for me which control is better

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    The waggle controls for TP were fine. Much better than the previous 3d zelda ones.

Shield bash will disagree with you.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

The whole fucking game disagrees with you. Waggle controls were awful and unresponsive. If that balances out with the pointer, fine, but they didn't add at all to the game.

And yeah, the sky temple was one of the awesomes.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I stopped playing after the yeti. (No real reason, just became interested in other things.)

But the skateboard boss alone is totally worth the whole game.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I thought shield bash was broken until I learned how to actually do it. The game doesn't teach you very well at all. If you hold the nunchuck perpendicular with the ground and flick it, it works 99.99% of the time.

Other than that, I never felt that the motion controls were unresponsive. *shrugs*

Guek on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What the hell's wrong with you people? Aiming with the Wiimote is fine, but it isn't "so much better"; did you forget how to aim with an analog stick or something? Christ, you've only been doing it since Ocarina of Time.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Guek wrote: »

I thought shield bash was broken until I learned how to actually do it. The game doesn't teach you very well at all. If you hold the nunchuck perpendicular with the ground and flick it, it works 99.99% of the time.

Other than that, I never felt that the motion controls were unresponsive. *shrugs*

And that right there is a fundamental flaw with the game.

When anecdotally for me and friends, a large portion of your audience needs some person over the internet several years later to explain the shield bash to you, that is a huge flaw in how the game was made.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Guek wrote: »

And that right there is a fundamental flaw with the game.

When anecdotally for me and friends, a large portion of your audience needs some person over the internet several years later to explain the shield bash to you, that is a huge flaw in how the game was made.

I'll agree that the game was a rushed port. The team wanted to put more time into the wii build, pump up that graphics slider to 2x gamecube levels, and polish the thing off, but the head honchos wanted the sucker for launch.

For good reason, I suppose. From a business standpoint, I really can't blame them. It was a brilliant move. But I still wish the wii build had gotten a proper upgrade rather than a rushed port.

That said, I still think the game itself, whether its on GC or Wii, was quite good. But one man's opinion is just that, one man's opinion.

Guek on