Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Movie Release Awareness - December '08 (Ex-Presidents, Aliens, and Wrestlers)

123457»

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So "Slumdog Millionaire" was really good. Also, it makes all other misfit-sports-team/rags-to-riches stories seem like complete wusses.

• thorpethorpe Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, Let the Right One In is apparently one of the best movies of the year. I thought it was some tween horseshit Twilight cash-in, but after seeing several people call it the best vampire movie ever made, I'm interested.

You'd think it'd premiere here, since it's a Swedish movie, but I guess not.

I loved that movie, and I would hurt you so bad if I could for even comparing it to Twilight. I don't know if it's top ten material(simply because there were so many good movies this year), but it's quite a neat little vampire movie.

Though I also didn't like The Dark Knight much, despite some really amazing bits, because I thought the plot holes were glaring and just sloppy, so maybe I'm not the person to ask these things.

I. WILL. EAT. YOUR. SOUL-L-L-L-L-L!

It's not my fault! I want to love it, because Ledger is amazing and there are some great scenes, but the plot just has so many stupid, unnecessary holes in it!
    Spoiler:

And so on.

Your reasons for not liking The Dark Knight reek of someone who was looking for a reason to not like the Dark Knight. Just letting you know.

On a different topic... I actually kind of enjoyed The Spirit. It didn't take itself seriously at all, and that really made it watchable.

I couldn't stand The Spirit even in that way. It felt to me like it was first written at least semi-seriously, and then partway through filming Miller realized how awful it was going to be and tried to inject some campy humor into it. I think it may very well be the most egregiously offensive, stupid piece of shit I have ever had the misfortune to experience.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    my standards were lowered by poor reviews... but I didn't take it seriously for even a minute. I can kind of see where you are coming from though. Still, I'm actually embarrassed by how much I enjoyed it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, Let the Right One In is apparently one of the best movies of the year. I thought it was some tween horseshit Twilight cash-in, but after seeing several people call it the best vampire movie ever made, I'm interested.

You'd think it'd premiere here, since it's a Swedish movie, but I guess not.

I loved that movie, and I would hurt you so bad if I could for even comparing it to Twilight. I don't know if it's top ten material(simply because there were so many good movies this year), but it's quite a neat little vampire movie.

Though I also didn't like The Dark Knight much, despite some really amazing bits, because I thought the plot holes were glaring and just sloppy, so maybe I'm not the person to ask these things.

I. WILL. EAT. YOUR. SOUL-L-L-L-L-L!

It's not my fault! I want to love it, because Ledger is amazing and there are some great scenes, but the plot just has so many stupid, unnecessary holes in it!
    Spoiler:

And so on.

Your reasons for not liking The Dark Knight reek of someone who was looking for a reason to not like the Dark Knight. Just letting you know.

On a different topic... I actually kind of enjoyed The Spirit. It didn't take itself seriously at all, and that really made it watchable.

The Joker didn't need to escape. His plan would've more than likely succeeded without him, killing one of the two, he on the other hand could've escaped in a fairly open time window as long as the nutso guy remained and he was able to get a phone call. Its hinted that he goaded Batman into the confrontation to give himself a weapon to use later.

It takes a lot of pre-planning and plan upon plan but thats the fun part, the guy without the plan has the most complex, free-form plan around.

...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Mattie wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Saw this trailer in front of The Day the Earth Stood Still

How did I not know that there was a new movie in the "Liam Neeson: Ultimate Badass" genre coming out?
    I would like to subscribe to that movies newsletter.

Jan 30? I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it
    Honestly what more could anyone ever want in a movie beyond Liam Neeson kicking the shit out of everyone and being bad ass?

I saw that movie a few weeks ago. Either there was an early European release or the Asian mall I bought it from sold me a pirated version. It is a badass movie, basically Commando with Liam Neeson.

If there was ever any chance I wouldn't see this movie, that right there demolished it.

Also, the movie apparently came out in Europe months ago and is only now reaching the US.

You must be insane.

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Saw this trailer in front of The Day the Earth Stood Still

How did I not know that there was a new movie in the "Liam Neeson: Ultimate Badass" genre coming out?
    I would like to subscribe to that movies newsletter.

Jan 30? I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it
    Honestly what more could anyone ever want in a movie beyond Liam Neeson kicking the shit out of everyone and being bad ass?

I saw that movie a few weeks ago. Either there was an early European release or the Asian mall I bought it from sold me a pirated version. It is a badass movie, basically Commando with Liam Neeson.

If there was ever any chance I wouldn't see this movie, that right there demolished it.

Also, the movie apparently came out in Europe months ago and is only now reaching the US.

You must be insane.

You think I'm insane for wanting to see what amounts to a hybrid of Commando and Death Wish, only it stars Liam Neeson?

You, sir, are a fool.

• meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited December 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    Just got back from Doubt and I give it a resounding meh.

I read somewhere (maybe in this thread) that at least the ending was satisfying. Clearly that person has a completely different perception of closure than I do, because the entire film (and especially the ending) really left me wanting.

Eh, I mentioned that I really liked the ending. I'm guessing you're probably the type of person that hated the ending to No Country, eh?
    Spoiler:

Still haven't seen No Country (and I have little excuse since it's on the instant queue at this very moment) so I'll have to get back to you.
    Spoiler:

archer_sig-2.jpg
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Just got back from Doubt and I give it a resounding meh.

I read somewhere (maybe in this thread) that at least the ending was satisfying. Clearly that person has a completely different perception of closure than I do, because the entire film (and especially the ending) really left me wanting.

Eh, I mentioned that I really liked the ending. I'm guessing you're probably the type of person that hated the ending to No Country, eh?
    Spoiler:

Still haven't seen No Country (and I have little excuse since it's on the instant queue at this very moment) so I'll have to get back to you.
    Spoiler:

The thing about that movie for me was
    Spoiler:

• UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Doxa's interpretation is a little bit closer to mine, but not entirely.
    Spoiler:

One little point of debate re: the end though...
    Spoiler:

• TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw Marley and Me last night and cried many big manly tears.

I would also like to point out that I have never been to a movie where everyone in the theater was crying.

Spec_Banner.png
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User
    edited December 2008

One little point of debate re: the end though...
    Spoiler:

well...here's what I got from the closing(Doubt)
    Spoiler:

edit: oh and I saw Slumdog Millionaire. Very excellent.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One more week and I get to see the Wrestler!

Spoiler:
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Went to Frost/Nixon last night. I had very high expectations, and it mostly met them. Could have been better, but definitely wasn't bad. I wouldn't be disappointed to see Langella get best actor for it, he was fantastic.

• AridholAridhol Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Wrestler was excellent.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has anyone seen the new Che film? I am wondering whether or not to go see it today - there is a double bill with parts one and two

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the new Che film? I am wondering whether or not to go see it today - there is a double bill with parts one and two

So, I went to see this - there was a special New Year's Day double bill and while nearly 5 hours of Che could be said to be too much Che, it was still pretty enjoyable - go see it!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Wrestler is an amazing movie. I'm not sure how it plays to a non-wrestling fan, but as a wrestling fan it hits you specially hard.

Amazing, amazing movie. Also fucking depressing.

scale3nk0.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll get to work on the new Movie Release thread tonight or tomorrow.

<3

Spec_Banner.png
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So "Slumdog Millionaire" was really good. Also, it makes all other misfit-sports-team/rags-to-riches stories seem like complete wusses.

:^:

I think I might go see it again.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has anyone seen Synecdoche, New York? I didn't dislike the film, but I can see now why they had such a hard time finding someone to distribute it. It is probably Kaufman's least accessible film yet, but has a lot of great moments.

123457»