As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TMNT Smash Up: A ha ha ha (A ha ha ha) Hey heyo (hey heyo)

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    Probably because it isn't Konami, who has traditionally done most of the TMNT games. Ubisoft I'm pretty sure did the terrible games based off the new movie, the exception being the GBA game which was really good.

This could be interesting though. I love TMNT and if they make Super Shredder a boss of SNK boss standards, like he deserves to be, I will be one happy person. However Team Ninja better not even think about giving Karai and April double D's. I will wish them into the cornfield so hard if they do.

I think Konami might have beaten them to that with April, if I remember Turtles in Time's opening correctly.

Then again, it did seem kind of on-model...

approved.jpg
    It'd be so great if one of the aspects they rip from Brawl is the history-spanning fan service. Give me versions of all the characters using art from every past iteration, and I will buy in for nostalgia alone. Characters from all the early versions, too. Krang, Wingnut and Screwloose

Just not the old cartoon versions. Completely inferior to the comic versions.
    ...and shit I don't know of from the newer cartoon.

Shredder. Most badass Shredder ever.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    What do they mean by "members of Team Ninja". Is this Itagaki's next project?

Goddamn it, Tecmo. :x

I'm sure if he was involved we would have heard already.

Besides this, it just doesn't strike me as a title Itagaki would work on.
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Bishop and Kirai are all
    ...Leatherhead too.
    ...and Slash.
    ...Casey

Ok maybe I want a lot from this game.

Adventures comic Slash, please, not retard cartoon slash.
    Djiem wrote: »
    Probably because it isn't Konami, who has traditionally done most of the TMNT games.

But all the Konami-made TMNT games post-1994 sucked hard as well.

Edit: Also, what the fuck is wrong with you people? You want Bebop & Rocksteady in this? You won't ever see anything from the 80s/90s series ever again, thank god.

Who are you?
    Get out of there!

Well, I concur with MazZero for the most part. The Adventures comic versions were good, though.
    Don't get me wrong. I was born in 1984, I grew up on that shit. But have you gone back and tried to watch it now? Jesus Christ it's just painful.

Now the 2k3 series, outside of that Fast Forward nonsense, has been decent. Nothing on the level of BtAS, but competent considering it's coming out of 4Kids.

Agreed.
    You might see designs from the 2k3 series, and you might see designs from the comic series, and that's basically the order of likeliness that you'd see them in. But the 1980/90s series? No, you won't ever see anything from those again.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    More specifically, it's because pretty much everything that originated in the first cartoon is officially property of the cartoon makers, not the actual TMNT creators (even if they had a hand in their creation for the 'toon). Things that appeared in the toon but were created beforehand, like the turtles themselves, April O'Neil, Casey Jones, Baxter, etc. still belong to the original creators.

Not impossible; last I had heard, Mirage had reached some sort of agreement where they can use characters and stuff from that series, but they can't use any of the assets; for example, they can sell Rocksteady on a t-shirt, but it has to be new art, not reused from anything back then.

Since then, they've been making "neo retro" merchandise that looks like the old stuff, but is actually all-new.
    B:L wrote: »
    What do they mean by "members of Team Ninja". Is this Itagaki's next project?

Goddamn it, Tecmo. :x

*Venus pic*

I think Laird would kill everyone before he allowed that to happen...

...Dragon Lord or maybe Bonesteel, though, I'm all for showing up.
    Dirty wrote: »
    The first volume of the old Turtles cartoon is entertaining in a MST3K kinda way. The newer cartoon is too good to make fun of, but not good enough to genuinely enjoy, so its even more worthless, and doesn't even have nostalgia going for it.

I disagree, I love the new cartoon. Fast Forward was a bit of a stumble, but everything prior was cool, and Back to the Sewer is pretty good.
    Schide wrote: »
    There might be a shot though. Was he ever used in the new cartoon? I can't remember now and I never watched all of it anyway. If he was then there would be a decent chance, if not then much less so.

Yup! Gen, too. I believe they've also appeared in the Mirage comics, and Usagi was in two eps of the original cartoon as well.
    Although I did see an episode of the newest season where the turtles went into cyberspace. It was really bad.

Flash Forward and whatever is on now aren't actually real seasons of TMNT. The Ninja Tribunal was the final real season of TMNT and aside from the dragons it was pretty good. It even showed the Toddler Turtles which are the best toys ever and I still have mine. Ninja Tribunal however wasn't shown in America when it should've been because it was the darkest of all the seasons. Earlier this year, about 1 year after it originally aired in in other countries like Australia, they did finally show it as a series of "Lost Episodes".

They did show it here, actually. Eventually. It's on DVD, too.
    Yeah it uses the continuity but I'll be damned if I consider it or Flash Forward real seasons. I think of them as filler seasons for the kids who can't really "get" the rest of the season but still like the turtles as characters. Granted I haven't actually watched the newer one but it looked stupid like FF.

Fast Forward, and the new series is actually a bit better.
    Do they seriously bring back the Shredder in yet another form though? Good lord, the Shredder died about 4 times in the newest series. How can they keep bringing him back?

Sort of; it's more like a backup of his brain patterns.
    Do they seriously bring back the Shredder in yet another form though? Good lord, the Shredder died about 4 times in the newest series. How can they keep bringing him back?

My favorite was the first time. The turtles battle to the top of Shredder's tower for the ultimate confrontation and Leo cuts his freaking head off.

That was the first episode of the 2003 series that I happened to come across.

"Hey Ninja Turtles is back. I remember that show."

"The animation's a lot spiffier."

"...... whoa."

One of my favorite moments of all time in the new toon. That cemented it as one of, if not my favorite version of Turtles, at least of the post-Mirage stuff.

One of the others is where Leo accidently wounds Splinter during training when he gets pissed off. In the old cartoon, Splinter was too fucking untouchable.
    Alien brains hiding in the chests of humanoid robot bodies.

Actually, no, the alien brains (Utroms) are who they (the Guardians) serve. The Guardians are humans who serve and protect the Utrom. Splinter's master, Hamato Yoshi, was once one of them before being killed by Hun and the Shredder.
    I think the consensus might be to just skip Fast Forward and then not watch Back to the Sewer, except the only opinions I've heard are mine based on watching one horrible episode of Back to the Sewer, and Gilder, who presumably watched at least some of both.

Back to the Sewer is better for the most part, though there is the weird Tron/MegaMan Battle Network stuff, but it's relatively rare and minor, mostly there to appease Playmates so they can make new toys, I'd say.
    ...and in the end I think they get warped back to before it happened and none of the stuff is mentioned again.

Actually, the beginning of BttS is them going back to their original time (minus one year), and the stuff is DEFINITELY still mentioned; Serling winds up coming back with them. Also, according to Wikipedia, the FF stuff takes place after the Ninja Tribunal arc.

FF wasn't all bad, the parts where they referenced old stuff was pretty good. One favorite was where the Turtles were zapped to different time periods, resulting in a much more experienced Leonardo facing Shredder after their first encounter. Another was Baxter working underground for about fifty years to try and get revenge on Bishop, who now leads some sort of united Earth federation or something.

On another note that's not replying to something, I like new toon Raph better than the old toon Raph. And that the Turtles actually act something like ninjas.

One thing I miss in newer eps of the new toon is that they don't do all the funky kung-fu movie camera stuff they used to. It was just good for effect, almost artsy, but not in a snobbish sort of way.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Now see, Leo facing Shredder with all of his experience does sound awesome. I actually want to see that. Same with Bishop. Too bad the only things of FF I ever saw in the information bar Time Warner gave was stuff like "Michelangelo buys a new videogame" or "Michelangelo goes skating and says no to drugs" or "Hey it's Michelangelo again come join the party." I wasn't going to wake up at 10 a.m. on a Saturday for that, especially when the animation wasn't even up to par with the weakest of the normal 2k3 series.

I like to think of FF and BttS as being their own separate series within the same series. It's kind of like in the old TMNT when they got rid of Shredder and it was some alien overlord guy and then Michelangelo got a grappling hook. If BttS actually is good I'm more than willing to give it a shot because like I've said, I've never actually seen it. However every description of it I see always makes it look really lame.

Sidenote, wikipedia says that they were also going to have a Triceraton Shredder in FF before it got canned? Goddammit, that's yet another Shredder to add to the list. What do we have now for 2k3? Normal Shredder, Utrom Shredder, Karai Shredder, Demon Shredder, Dragon Shredder, and the never seen Dino Shredder? I think we've hit the inner core from running him into the ground so much. Does BttS have another one?

Gilder on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorry I didn't get the scans up last night guys. I was in a car accident so it kind of threw my evening for a loop. I'll give it a shot tonight instead.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I only ever saw the first few episodes of the last cartoon series. I'm only interested in one thing, though--did the great Mr. Ogg make a comeback?

If not, I shall construct a shrine to bring about his appearance in this game.

Monsty on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorry I didn't get the scans up last night guys. I was in a car accident so it kind of threw my evening for a loop. I'll give it a shot tonight instead.

you ok?

Xaquin on
    edited December 2008
    Shook up, head ache, some pains...but otherwise ok.

My car is the one not quite ok...but things happen. :)

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Oh, man, I had an accident last winter that very nearly killed me. It was actually very low speed (I was going under 20), but the road had frozen into a solid sheet of ice. The crazy thing was that had I lost control of my car 20 feet later, I probably would have fallen off the cliff into the frozen river.

I still get all panic attack-y when driving in Winter. So, I know what you're going through, and I hope you feel better soon.
    I wanted to ask AH-YU-OKEI!? but I couldn't find a hotlinkable fatal fury jpg fast enough :lol:

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited December 2008

Oh, man, I had an accident last winter that very nearly killed me. It was actually very low speed (I was going under 20), but the road had frozen into a solid sheet of ice. The crazy thing was that had I lost control of my car 20 feet later, I probably would have fallen off the cliff into the frozen river.

I still get all panic attack-y when driving in Winter. So, I know what you're going through, and I hope you feel better soon.
    I wanted to ask AH-YU-OKEI!? but I couldn't find a hotlinkable fatal fury jpg fast enough :lol:

Thanks templewulf. I just have to figure out what I'm going to do about a car since I can't use my wifes considering she needs it for dropping off and picking up our kids from school and stuff. I haven't car shopped in years.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited December 2008
    Now see, Leo facing Shredder with all of his experience does sound awesome. I actually want to see that. Same with Bishop. Too bad the only things of FF I ever saw in the information bar Time Warner gave was stuff like "Michelangelo buys a new videogame" or "Michelangelo goes skating and says no to drugs" or "Hey it's Michelangelo again come join the party." I wasn't going to wake up at 10 a.m. on a Saturday for that, especially when the animation wasn't even up to par with the weakest of the normal 2k3 series.

Understandable, but when it comes to cartoons that aren't in prime time (even if it's a prime time cartoon in syndication), those bars usually suck.
    I like to think of FF and BttS as being their own separate series within the same series. It's kind of like in the old TMNT when they got rid of Shredder and it was some alien overlord guy and then Michelangelo got a grappling hook. If BttS actually is good I'm more than willing to give it a shot because like I've said, I've never actually seen it. However every description of it I see always makes it look really lame.

I'll try to give some better perspective later.
    Sidenote, wikipedia says that they were also going to have a Triceraton Shredder in FF before it got canned? Goddammit, that's yet another Shredder to add to the list. What do we have now for 2k3? Normal Shredder, Utrom Shredder, Karai Shredder, Demon Shredder, Dragon Shredder, and the never seen Dino Shredder? I think we've hit the inner core from running him into the ground so much. Does BttS have another one?

Which one is Normal Shredder, if not Utrom Shredder? Anyway, I guess Cyber Shredder, a sort of virtual copy of the Utrom Shredder, is the answer you're looking for.

Ironically, Shredder was never meant to be THE big bad, at least not initially. I guess the old cartoon just kind of made it so.

Brainiac 8> Glad to hear you made it through okay, but sorry to hear about the car; I have no idea if now is a good time to be looking, what with the economy and all. Might find a good deal, though...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shredder was never the big bad in the original comics at all. He showed up relatively early but the Turtles like, killed him in his first appearance. He only made one other appearance when they resurrected him using a combination of magic, technology, and a body of worms, but then the Turtles just killed him again by cutting his head off. Then he never appeared again in the Mirage comics until like way way later in a different series.

It was definitely the cartoon people who liked the design so they made him the regular main villain along with Krang.

Schide on
  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Don't forget the three mutant clone Shredders the Turtles fought in his tower. Come to think of it, if the Shredder's an alien robot body, what exactly did they clone?

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited December 2008
    good lord, those colored auras lol

they could be toned down a wee(ii?) bit.

Xaquin on
    edited December 2008
    Maybe they'll do like in MKvsDC and tone down the auras...but under the circumstances I can understand it, considering the turtles all look the same and only followers of the franchise can tell them apart per their headband colors.

For being this early in development, the graphics look really good and by the time it's done might actually rival Smash Bros Brawl.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Those screens look excellent, especially the waterfall one. I'm really looking forward to this one. If they confirm online play and voice chat, it would seal the deal for day one purchase.

Braniac 8: Sorry to hear about your accident, and glad it wasn't serious. Good luck on the new car shopping.

IdolNinja on
    edited December 2008
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    Those screens look excellent, especially the waterfall one. I'm really looking forward to this one. If they confirm online play and voice chat, it would seal the deal for day one purchase.

Braniac 8: Sorry to hear about your accident, and glad it wasn't serious. Good luck on the new car shopping.

Thanks, I hope the car shopping goes well too. :D

As far as online play, Nintendo Power confirmed that it will have online play, and the team is working to make sure it is a fun, true online experience that avoids the problems that Brawl's online play had. I think that WiiSpeak will be included considering it'll have been used by many by that time already.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really like the rooftop scene, but the fighters seem unfortunately small for what's on screen.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm really hoping they stick to their line about it not being based off any movie or show because those screenshots really make it look like it's based off the last movie.

Gilder on
    edited December 2008
    last...animated movie? I think the last turtles movie I saw was the one where they go back in time to feudal China or wherever.

METAzraeL on

edited December 2008
    In the interview in the magazine, they said that the story/characters are not based on any specific movie/show/comic, but they took characters from the TMNT universe in general...which means who knows what characters we'll ultimately see since they are given access to every character ever made.

They did say that fans of the characters will be happy with their selection of characters, and that they are not finished choosing yet.

As far as the art direction, they did take that from the new movie, since they said that it was their favorite art style for the characters and would translate well to a game. The art direction is the only connection the game has to the newest movie.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    last...animated movie? I think the last turtles movie I saw was the one where they go back in time to feudal China or wherever.

It's the new CGI movie that came out last year, simply titled "TMNT"

It's pretty damn good.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited December 2008

It's pretty damn good.

I'll have to check it out, since I remember liking the new animated series.

METAzraeL on

edited December 2008

It's pretty damn good.

I know several people who didn't like it, but I really enjoyed the movie myself.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited December 2008
    I enjoyed it.

Xaquin on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

Oh man, you owe it to yourself to see the new movie. It's fantastic.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Oh man, you owe it to yourself to see the new movie. It's fantastic.

The new movie was awesome. I caught it at the theater twice. The rooftop fight in the rain was some of the best Turtles I've ever seen.

IdolNinja on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wonder what the holdup is on the second movie. I read a rumor that they were deciding whether to make it CG or use live actors again, but I liked the style of the CG movie so I wouldn't mind another one in that style.

Plus, Shredder returns, woo.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited December 2008
    I'm almost done watching the first season of TMNT 2k3 again, and I must say, it might actually be better than what I remembered. The Return to New York episodes, the ones where the turtles storm Shredder's tower and end up decapitating him, especially are just so freaking awesome. The only down points really are a few of the filler episodes, but they're still decent.

Oh yeah, and the new CGI movie was pretty cool. I didn't really like the villains all that much, or the plot for that matter, but it looked fantastic.

Schide on
    edited December 2008
    I still get shivers over how Stockman was handled in the 2k series. Every time they showed him, he was missing more and more body parts on account for off-screen punishments, until he wound up as a one-eyed brain in a jar.

How the fuck did they get 4Kids to approve that?

edited December 2008
    Prostitutes?

Schide on
    edited December 2008
    It is my belief the company is run by eunichs.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still get shivers over how Stockman was handled in the 2k series. Every time they showed him, he was missing more and more body parts on account for off-screen punishments, until he wound up as a one-eyed brain in a jar.

And then in an unaired episode he actually got a new body that started rapidly decaying.

On screen.

Furu on
    edited December 2008
    Saw that. That was a cool episode, especially when April kung-fu kicked (just like in the Archie comics!) him in the jaw.

What was his fate after that episode?

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Saw that. That was a cool episode, especially when April kung-fu kicked (just like in the Archie comics!) him in the jaw.

What was his fate after that episode?

Lackey for Bishop, whining that he didn't just leave him the ocean to die.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited December 2008

It's pretty damn good.

I'll have to check it out, since I remember liking the new animated series.

Just so you know, the CGI movie follows the movie continuity, not the new toon.

But, the first movie and the cartoon are both based on the original comic, so there's that...

Anyway, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

...have you heard about what they didn't approve? >:D

...whoops, I see one of them has been covered already.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    edited December 2008
    What else wasn't approved?

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Probably because it isn't Konami, who has traditionally done most of the TMNT games. Ubisoft I'm pretty sure did the terrible games based off the new movie, the exception being the GBA game which was really good.

This could be interesting though. I love TMNT and if they make Super Shredder a boss of SNK boss standards, like he deserves to be, I will be one happy person. However Team Ninja better not even think about giving Karai and April double D's. I will wish them into the cornfield so hard if they do.

Oh hey Twilight Zone joke.

Hi5.

Godfather on
    edited December 2008
    Seriously, what a tease. (lbd)

METAzraeL on

• Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still have the entire Archie comics series. I love the shit where they fly in the big cow head to the intergalactic wrestling match with Cryin' Houn. Their wrestling outfits where fucking awesome.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited December 2008
    When this game comes out, we better have a bit PA tourney...so I can whup alla y'all with Casey Jones. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!