As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anybody interested in a 7 players BSG game?

I'm interested... Capfalcon's game had enough extra signups for one, from the looks of it.

Tenek on
  • Options
    Nicolo MNicolo M Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tenek wrote: »

I'm interested... Capfalcon's game had enough extra signups for one, from the looks of it.

Definitely interested. I've yet to try PbP and I'd like to give it a try - if there's room for my participation, of course.

Nicolo M on
    Upon this, one has to remark that men ought either to be well treated or crushed, because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries, of more serious ones they cannot.
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Was that an offer to host? Or a beg for a host?

Darian on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darian wrote: »

Given that this is Doctorstrongbad, I'm guessing he wants someone to host. :P I think he's subbed in a few times, but never started a game from the start.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Darian wrote: »

Given that this is Doctorstrongbad, I'm guessing he wants someone to host. :P I think he's subbed in a few times, but never started a game from the start.

It would be nice to start a game. I hear they PM you the new game smell. :winky:

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reposting this as I am a dummy and put it in the thread for a current BSG game:
    I'd hate to interrupt an ongoing game but this seemed the only appropriate thread to discuss the game. Recently got roped in to playing it with a bunch of people who'd just purchased it. Took five hours but it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately people lost motivation in the last half hour and just wanted to lose to end it. Didn't have as much trouble with all the rules as we expected.

I was Baltar, and my extra loyalty card stuck me as a Cylon from the start in a 4 player game. I was luckily President and was able to turn the public against the Admiral and have him sent to the brig. With few (if any) attempts to fail any crises the humans were in the red in two resources by Sleeper Agent Phase. By the time I revealed a few rotations later, they were down to 3 moral, 2 population, and only 6 distance. The game went to hell for the humans after that and I was basically ceded victory, so I chose to actively help them win. With two extremely lucky FTL jumps, they made it with 1 population left. Good time all around (despite the dying motivation for most by the end).

Few quick questions on rules: If they have multiples, can people use more than one of the +2 to roll cards on the same roll? If the engineer bay is damaged, can ships instead of the bay be repaired with the repair card (neither the rule book or the card indicated, it simply presented either location or ships for repair and a damaged bay seems to imply it just cant board ships). Can the ship autojump if FTL has been damaged, and if so, why?

Lastly, the conflict cards (with the diagram of where to put new Cylon ships). If one of the conflict cards has recently been played and another comes up, does it add to the situation or replace? And do none of the crisis card cylon activations (such as basestars attacking/deploying) matter until one of these cards places a basestar to act?

Endaro on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Endaro wrote: »

Few quick questions on rules: If they have multiples, can people use more than one of the +2 to roll cards on the same roll? If the engineer bay is damaged, can ships instead of the bay be repaired with the repair card (neither the rule book or the card indicated, it simply presented either location or ships for repair and a damaged bay seems to imply it just cant board ships). Can the ship autojump if FTL has been damaged, and if so, why?

Lastly, the conflict cards (with the diagram of where to put new Cylon ships). If one of the conflict cards has recently been played and another comes up, does it add to the situation or replace? And do none of the crisis card cylon activations (such as basestars attacking/deploying) matter until one of these cards places a basestar to act?

Here's my POV- I'd have to look up the second one, but otherwise I'm sure on the answers.

- Only one Declare emergency, Executive Order, or Strategic Planning can be used on one crisis/turn/roll.

- I don't see why you couldn't repair damaged vipers using the repair card, since it does not require activating the location. I guess damaged means you can still do some stuff there...

- Yes, you can Autojump if the FTL is damaged. It's maaaagic- or maybe it's just too damaged to force an early jump, but not damaged enough that the fleet can't jump if they take their time.

- Cylon fleet activations are cumulative. You can only put as many ships on the board as exist in the box (ie max 2 basestars), and the current player decides which pieces to place first if there are not enough ships. Activation of ships when there are no such ships (or launch raider/heavy raiders when there are no basestars on the board) do nothing. Multiple conditions at the ends of the fleet activation cards are cumulative.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Several of these questions are answered in the FAQ from the publisher.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    El Skid wrote: »
    - Cylon fleet activations are cumulative. You can only put as many ships on the board as exist in the box (ie max 2 basestars), and the current player decides which pieces to place first if there are not enough ships. Activation of ships when there are no such ships (or launch raider/heavy raiders when there are no basestars on the board) do nothing. Multiple conditions at the ends of the fleet activation cards are cumulative.

This is only partially true - if there are no ships at all on the board, then most activations do nothing, but heavy raiders still advance any boarding parties
    If there are no raiders/heavy raiders on the board but there ARE basestar(s) present, then you launch new ships of that type from each basestar upon their activation
    If there are no raiders on the game board when raiders are
    activated, two raiders are launched from each basestar. If
    there are no basestars in play, then nothing happens.

If there are no heavy raiders on the game board when heavy
    raiders are activated, one heavy raider is launched from
    each basestar. If there are no basestars in play, then nothing
    happens.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Several of these questions are answered in the FAQ from the publisher.

I only see the FTL question on there. Luckily we ended up following most of them correctly. The repair ship one seemed a bit odd, but we couldn't find any rules indicating otherwise. The multiple roll cards seems a bit game breaking otherwise, but the cards didn't indicate once per turn or anything so we didn't know.

With how commonplace some of them are, such as what to do with multiple fleet activation cards, it seems a bit odd it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the rulebook, let alone the errata and corrections you have to go online to find. The rulebook was unfortunately lacking despite its 30 pages.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've been thinking of starting a PBP. Any tips or tools from people who've done it before? I like the pretty pictures but keeping track of every deck seems like a mess in a spreadsheet and questionably legal if I write a program to do it.

Tenek on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've been thinking of starting a PBP. Any tips or tools from people who've done it before? I like the pretty pictures but keeping track of every deck seems like a mess in a spreadsheet and questionably legal if I write a program to do it.

Most of us make use of a google-docs spreadsheet, which seems to work pretty well. PM me your email address if you want to take a look at a base-game version of it, or PM Osvik for the Pegasus version.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If the president loses his title, what happens to the quorum cards in his hand? Do they get discarded for good, given to the new president, or returned to the deck of possible quorum cards?

Endaro on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Given to the new president.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Twelve Colonies are under attack! You have about 48 hours to try hitching a ride on Galactica. Humans only please. (I'm sure glad Cylons are big metal things that don't look human at all.)

Game 24 signups

Tenek on
  • Options
    SleepingPhoenixSleepingPhoenix Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    booo....i discover the BSG board game and penny arcade about 3 days too late to sign up for the latest game hahaha.

Guess i'll just cool my heels till the next one starts.

BTW, speaking as someone who has never actually played this game before... agreat way to learn this game? read thru the ones that have been played so far. Dorky, i know, but i've enjoyed reading about 4 1/2 of them so far....

SleepingPhoenix on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Had a fun game of this last night- 3 players, and the Cylon was the President, and laid low. At around the fifth round, he used an executive order to brig both of the other players with Arrest Order.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Had a fun game of this last night- 3 players, and the Cylon was the President, and laid low. At around the fifth round, he used an executive order to brig both of the other players with Arrest Order.

...becoming Admiral. nice job!

Did the rest of the game take long? Because only having one crisis every 3 turns and 2 turns of people trying to get out of the brig would be....tiring, I would imagine.

El Skid on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When I was Cylon President, I pulled that trick as well - though not until a time when suspicion was high on the third player. I used a Brig on the suspected player, and then next turn used another on the Admiral.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Did the rest of the game take long? Because only having one crisis every 3 turns and 2 turns of people trying to get out of the brig would be....tiring, I would imagine.

At this point I think the human players should concede. The president will just use Consolidate Power every turn to draw two leadership cards, and have at least 4 leadership cards to use every round (2 per turn) to try and prevent the brigged players from escaping. They will only be able to use 2 cards per turn (between them), so will have to get lucky to escape. In the meantime the humans will fail every check, get the worst option chosen on every crisis, and get ravaged in space. Yes, it's possible for the humans to turn it around, but very unlikely.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Papillon wrote: »

At this point I think the human players should concede. The president will just use Consolidate Power every turn to draw two leadership cards, and have at least 4 leadership cards to use every round (2 per turn) to try and prevent the brigged players from escaping. They will only be able to use 2 cards per turn (between them), so will have to get lucky to escape. In the meantime the humans will fail every check, get the worst option chosen on every crisis, and get ravaged in space. Yes, it's possible for the humans to turn it around, but very unlikely.

Our humans agreed with you, after losing their first brig check.

It's not quite as bad as you describe, though- only 1 crisis will be drawn per 2 brig checks, since you don't draw crises while in the brig. If the cylon had managed to do this while there were a bunch of basestars on the board it probably would have been a guaranteed game over, but he didn't.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Our humans agreed with you, after losing their first brig check.

It's not quite as bad as you describe, though- only 1 crisis will be drawn per 2 brig checks, since you don't draw crises while in the brig. If the cylon had managed to do this while there were a bunch of basestars on the board it probably would have been a guaranteed game over, but he didn't.

Actually, the brigged players can just keep EOing each other and trying the brig check twice per turn until the destiny deck gives up and lets them out. Or, lots of scouting to avoid the bad crises (unless the president was Roslin, in which case you're SoL).

Darian on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Had our first full playthrough with a full understanding of the rules last night. I was Tyrol (as on our last playthrough we almost lost Galactica from damage), with Laura Roslin, Starbuck, and William Adama. For the first time, I was clean throughout the whole game, but we unfortunately lost.

Roslin didn't want to hold on to the presidency and went along with a martial law decision, which I wasn't comfortable with from the get go. I kept making arguments for splitting the power with someone else but there was always a more pressing situation than an election. Roslin got sympathized to the Cylon side and Starbuck made some stupidly suspicious moves which got her brigged. Turned out (surprise surprise) that grand-admiral-president was a Cylon the whole time. Ended up running out of fuel from bad jump destinations. Unfortunately our Starbuck never really scouted anything regarding the destination deck, despite my suggestions, so we never caught him on it.

I really wish I had done more to get one of the titles off him. If there was any consolation it was the fact he never revealed (for some reason) and also never really did any damage. I'm really looking forward to playing a game as president where I can stay human, every president so far has been a cylon and they seem like they could help sooooo much if they weren't.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Had a game last night where I was Cain and executed 2/3 other humans before finding the Cylon.

I think I need to not play Cain.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I played one Thursday and botched sleeper phase for the third time. This time I inadvertently dealt from the unused loyalty cards instead of the loyalty deck, so I ended up throwing out three cylon cards, and believing the deck had been malformed I flipped over my two Cylon cards to point it out. Oops.)

I liked playing as Baltar though... Roslin wasn't much fun as president. :(

Tenek on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played one Thursday and botched sleeper phase for the third time. This time I inadvertently dealt from the unused loyalty cards instead of the loyalty deck, so I ended up throwing out three cylon cards, and believing the deck had been malformed I flipped over my two Cylon cards to point it out. Oops.)

My roommate always makes a big deal about which stack of loyalty cards is to be dealt out at the start of the game, and sets the unused ones under a paperweight or similar object. Because he has made this mistake a couple times before and now we don't. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    One day when I'm a cylon with Roslin playing, I'm going to make it my mission to airlock anyone who is not Roslin who manages to get a hold of the presidency. The humans would spend so much time and effort getting the presidency away from her, they'd have no time for dealing with the toasters 8-)

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I also enjoy Baltar, I just hate how often it makes me Cylon.

Both of his abilities are nice. Being able to scan someone is invaluable (especially if you yourself are human) and I like his other ability which, like some other characters, give you more responsibilities and unique actions. Similar to Boomer and Roslin's crisis card checks, you get a bit more power by drawing outside your deck and you get to do it after a skill check to help get it through. A lot of other characters, like some pilots and military leaders, have abilities that apply so rarely that your turn feels a bit bare in comparison.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A thought occurred to me recently regarding game 24. While this particular outcome wasn't possible under the circumstances, it makes me wonder if I've misinterpreted the rules. Suppose we have the following setup:

-Board is clear (for convenience's sake)
    -Misc. Human on Galactica (not in Brig)
    -Lee on Galactica (not in Brig) and has an XO in his hand
    -Jump prep is at -3 or -1
    -FTL is undamaged
    -Revealed Cylon plays Massive Assault.

A perfectly valid sequence of events would be:

1) Activate Raiders + Heavies (nothing happens)
    2) Setup Cylons, civilians, and vipers
    2a) Lee uses AVP to pilot a viper (repeated character ability)
    2b) Lee plays XO on Misc. Human (XO can't have been used this turn)
    2c) Human moves to and activates FTL (XO - move + action)
    2d) Jump - clear the board, travel distance, etc.
    3) FTL failure (nothing happens)

So aside from risking 1 or 3 population, a Super Crisis gets nullified immediately. I imagine the -2 jump prep is supposed to negate the immediate jump, but since it's last on the card Lee gets to move before it happens. It seems somewhat unfair to not only evade the crisis, but do it for free - Boomer can't auto-pass, say, Bomb on C1, but even if she could it would at least cost her a OPG. Does this seem like it's worth house-ruling? (FTL fails before the Setup phase) Did I miss some reason it's not possible?

Tenek on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nope; that's just a reason why they shouldn't play that crisis if Lee is around and the fleet can jump away.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that move, but it's exactly these kinds of shenanigans that makes me wish Apollo had his power rewritten a bit.

Something like "Can immediately activate his viper after jumping in"-so he can move or attack, not scout or XO (or Nuke/consult the quorum, even) in weird spots on other peoples' turns.

El Skid on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    apollo is comically overpowered, that is why I love him so

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    apollo is comically overpowered, that is why I love him so

Boomer auto-passes Legendary Discovery. Starbuck buries an attack card just before the Cylons get their turns. Baltar ID's your traitor. Adama passes a check by himself after you just spent all your resources on the last one. Chief nukes all the piloting cards the Cylons threw into that last skill check. Kat jumps at -3 with no risk. *shrug* Lee can - can - neuter an attack card but not reliably.

Tenek on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ok you just rattled off a lot of OPGs. apollo can play an XO in the middle of someone else's turn multiple times per game. that's even before you get to the ridiculous synergy between his static and his OPG which nobody else has.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm new to following the BSG threads, but my god Game 24 seems to have everything possible that could fuck over Galatica happening. It's fun to watch in a trainwreck sort of way.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm new to following the BSG threads, but my god Game 24 seems to have everything possible that could fuck over Galatica happening. It's fun to watch in a trainwreck sort of way.

Oh yeah, that game's turned pretty epic. Galactica might have a chance with the one nuke successfully atomizing a Base Star, but I've never seen the humans win a game so far from home with any resource down to four.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Plus, they're already out of raptors somehow.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that sucks too. And even the Vipers are running thin.

At least the crazy guy is on their side this game. :P

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    CapricaCaprica Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Let's see how long it lasts :)

Caprica on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Caprica wrote: »