As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    I trust funcom to do an ok job at another MMO, seeing as AoC is in good state these days. But persistent pvp world? Sounds too much like warhammer online, and that shit broke my heart. MMO developers are the biggest liars in the universe, why should we trust The Secret World?

Keeping in mind that i really, really want to believe.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Warhammer Online fucked up because they forgot that three factions was what made DAoC work.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Once a server got a population imbalance, the PVP became no fun. You either spent all your time curbstomping a weaker force, or running around and hiding from the zerg.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    Warhammer online would have done well to have factions NOT grouped up and sharing borders.

So chaos could fight dark elves etc.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    EDIT - double post

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    Peff wrote:
    So, Secret World at PAX (inside the booth) I caught the last presentation of the show and I can tell you that my body is ready :)

The fight mechanics were pretty tight, UI was clean, and I really liked how the skill trees were laid out. I like the concept of looking however I want (queue PA comic about WoW clown armor) and being able to play/switch specs without being locked down by class. They said that instances were going to be more minibosses and less trash. The couple bosses they showed kind of built on the previous one in terms of fight mechanics without too much hand holding with the last boss being the culmination of the previous ones. I don't want to spoil anything but what they showed at the end of the dungeon pretty much sold me a copy of the game.

Unfortunately (at least for me) the demo was from the perspective of the DPS so I didn't get to see much of tanking or healing. They switched the DPS from melee to ranged mid-dungeon by swapping some skills in from the skill tree and switching to an assault rifle (from a 2h sledgehammer). Lots of moving while fighting, no needing to stand still to fire or anything like that.

Apparently they also showed us something that has been press only up to that point, mainly showing off dynamic lighting during a sort of solo instance. The Templar agent had to choose between a headlamp and a flare gun for light sources. The headlamp parts were pretty basic and primarily seemed like it was for showing off the engine. The flare gun part was cooler in terms of mechanics. It could be used to create pockets of light to run to, draw enemies to, etc. I can see definitely wanting a system that could take advantage of some high graphical settings.
    That sounds so awesome.

• Options
    Check your emails and junk boxes, they have sent out a beta registration thing, which involves the social networking game as well.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I've been following this game for years now... and I still can't decide which society I want to join. Can I be in all three please?

OK, after much deliberation. Templars it is. For Justice (and dual Desert Eagles)

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    It is all about the Illuminati. Sex, drugs, and magics.

• Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I got that email and came here for which team to join. We should, like, do a thing

Edit: Never mind, they want to tie their advertising game to facebook. I'm out!

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    I don't mind tying mine in, I'll take your beta slot ;)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Having something to do with Facebook is fine, pretty smart even. REQUIRING it is pretty dumb, as contrary to popular opinion among "the media", quite a few people that might like to buy your whatever don't feel like making a facebook account (or anything account really, I don't have a facebook account but that's for the same reason as why I don't have any account beyond the requirements of say, this forum; I surf the internet a lot, but casually).

Frankly, it seems like a lazy thing to do these days, since the biggest reason I've seen cited in industry mags 'why to love facebook' is it's easy to get numerical feedback on things (since the site is pretty much built from the ground up to track every single mouse click, for those who don't visit it). Not that these types of promotions go as well as pitched 99% of the time anyways, but that's just planned laziness, making it a facebook thing. Have a page, track some stats, whatever. But I don't get limiting your base that way.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Well thing is you don't have to deal with it to just sign up. You just get to mess around with the ARG.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I'm just saying in general, really. It's a lazy advertising attitude, because you can get spreadsheets of feedback with no work. I'm just complaining about the admen.

• Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    Indeed, though any post that the ARG makes can still be made to show only to people already in on it.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Antithesis wrote:
    Indeed, though any post that the ARG makes can still be made to show only to people already in on it.

or even to just yourself.

Also the Facebook/ARG thing isn't even required for beta registration.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I don't mind the Facebook thing. I mean, I am already on Facebook and this way I actually get something out of playing it... a Beta spot.

:D

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    hadoken wrote:
    I trust funcom to do an ok job at another MMO, seeing as AoC is in good state these days. But persistent pvp world? Sounds too much like warhammer online, and that shit broke my heart. MMO developers are the biggest liars in the universe, why should we trust The Secret World?

Keeping in mind that i really, really want to believe.

Tower battles were insanely fun in AO. Not perfect, but some of my best times in that game were assaulting or defending towers. Then Shadowlands came out and fucked it all up.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Alien Invasions were fun too.

There was something hilarious about logging in one day, to see the sky literally blotted out by a mothership, as hordes of aliens descended on your hapless city, while the players scurried around and tried to repel them/get the hell out of dodge.

The mechs weren't half bad either. It's just that the game is so old right now that most people won't play because the game looks so graphically inferior.

Funcom really needs to get that new AO engine out. It looks like it'll improve the look of the game to be at least on par with WoW and other contemporaries of that time.

Archonex on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    The AO graphics update is never gonna happen, it's been YEARS.

• Options
    japhjaph Registered User regular
    This seems like one of the MMOs thats fun on a semi-casual level. I'm hesitant to paying a full ticket price for this ($60). Free to Play? Although I will say I got into DC Universe by the beta. Convince me funcom!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Never got a damn beta e-mail.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    Never got a damn beta e-mail.

Right there with you, man. I've even been checking my spam box religiously.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nothing went out so far guys (as far as I'm aware.) Everyone still waiting for the second stage of the secret war to start up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    It's been a little while since anyone here commented on this game. There have been a few updates, some nice media tidbits and gameplay examples.
    But it sure does seem like anytime they try to do something live - there was gonna be a Q&A a few days ago - they can't get their shit together to make it work.
    I was hopeful for this game, but it really seems like Funcom doesn't have what it takes to produce something like this.

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Zandracon wrote:

This is promising
    However, Tornquist said little about how the game’s extensive lore will be delivered; it seems some will come through the (wooden) dialogue, but no quest text or other delivery mechanisms were shown in the gameplay demo. But the game will be as sprawling as its one-line pitch suggests, with 150-200 hours of gameplay time.

I really like this development in the MMO genre, with more and more games moving towards less quest text.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Soon we will communicate only through the arrangement of complex pictographs, eliminating the need for tedious, difficult and inaccurate methods like writing or speech.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Basil wrote:
    Soon we will communicate only through the arrangement of complex pictographs, eliminating the need for tedious, difficult and inaccurate methods like writing or speech.

:) -> ?:/ -> :O -> >:O

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Information is still so slowly drip dropping out for this one, despite their release date still being firmly set for April. Really hope they let more people into beta soon or just up the content release so we get a better idea of it.

The recent round of press previews sounded really promising but which MMO doesn't at this point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    Might be time to start checking your emails again. Hem hem.

• Options
    Fuck, I know someone else in and I even registered his account for him.

Haters

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    How is this coming along? Any new info/gameplay from Beta, or is it an NDA?

Still planning for that April release?

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Yeah, did any of you get into the beta and try it out? Some opinions would be welcome

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Haven't heard word one on the beta.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    From what I hear the beta is still ongoing and NDA is quite strict and people can't say if they are in.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Guess that explains the hush hush.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Maybe some people don't care at all about the NDA and wouldn't mind sharing some info with us uninformed masses

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    If nothing else, the teasers for the three factions are pretty good. I like the Illuminati one, with the Scottish dude.

Everything I've seen about this game so far is intriguing. But I'm a sucker for urban fantasy/horror. It's a setting that hasn't really been done in MMO's yet.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Did everyone see the latest preview video?

I really, really, really want this game to come out and just be massively successful.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.