As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Maybe they know they lost a lot of goodwill with conan, and have to do a good job on this one.

Some leaked info, way, way back, pretty much confirmed that Secret World was where they were putting all their effort, and AoC was mostly just a cash grab (At least, it was at release.) for development funding.

So I imagine alot of Funcom's hopes are riding on this game, and they won't give it the AoC treatment intentionally.

Archonex on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also, the AoC teams and TSW teams are different, and headed up by completely different directors. Tornquist is awesome.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Some new vids up. It's more of the Savage Coast, but a lot longer with more stuff. There's even some gameplay and some looks at the UI, etc., which I don't remember seeing much of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutu1o3xIpE

Two more vids behind spoiler.

Is it just me being hopeful, or are the avatars and combat stuff looking better? The guy with the gun looks weird because he's so statuesque up top, but the girl with the sledgehammer seems decent.

I could also just be more used to the weird way avatars move in fantasy games, though, so the melee/magic character looks normal to me.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Okay, the Polaris is a damn pretty area. I like the variation in clothing styles, too.

Combat is looking better from the last time we saw it, too. Though it would be nice if monsters had a bit more reaction to getting hit in the face with a sledgehammer. Then again, no other MMO really does that. Something about the realistic look makes me wish they would, though. It seems off without it.

Also, that boss fight that's in the start of the third video looks frigging awesome.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like the idea of needing to research fictional elements via Google, but if I recall correctly, a slightly more ARGy game from about 10 years ago did the same thing, and it was only a matter of time before FAQs and walk-throughs for the game were indexed higher than actual research sites. I wonder if Funcom knows about that and if they have any plans to keep it at bay.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Geez, the guys in the SW boards are already solving the crate code in the Savage Coast walkthrough video.
    But aside from that, this game sure is looking good so far.

chromdom on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Have they mentioned anything about the character creator/customization?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The combat and whole power thing reminded me of Guild wars.
    A set number of skills on your skill bar that you can switch out and change in-between fights kinda - which sounds pretty good.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wonder if that "elements you learn throughout 1st dungeon help kill final boss" carries on all the way.

I remember wow was claiming they were going to start teaching people how to raid when cata hit.

Yeah that didn't happen, and I wonder if it will here.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I think that is probably a matter of perception. If in the 1st dungeon someone notices the mobs are especially damaged by fire, but your DPS guy is firing his SMG, then nothing really got learned. The designers are sitting back thinking to themselves that we'll all see and remember their clues all the way through, but I think expecting something like that of the player base is an iffy proposition.

chromdom on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I hate to be the wet blanket, but nothing shown struck me as all that extraordinary. It is pretty, but plays like every other MMO. I can't say I found any of it all that creepy or scary either, just seems to be fantasy bits thrown into the modern setting.

And I really want to like this.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yoshi -- I disagree! TOR looks like it plays like every other MMO. This looks, to me, a lot more twitchy, a lot more like an FPS, which is bad for me, 'cause I suck at the fast accurate action games. I guess I'm hoping you're right, that it is a lot more simple and basic than it looks, 'cause if I'm right, then I'm just going to get left in the dust and not make it out of the first 30 days.

chromdom on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I went from abslutely frothing for information for this game strictly due to my love for The Longest Journey, to just wanting it to launch and bomb already so they could go back to working on Dreamfall Chapters. That walkthrough video has me lifted back into some general interest. Combat isn't the fanciest, but the environments were gorgeous and plotwise its starting to really seem like a pretty unique game. It could survive as a nice little niche MMO just yet.

I think its the design of the map screen that sold me somehow.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    chromdom wrote: »
    Yoshi -- I disagree! TOR looks like it plays like every other MMO. This looks, to me, a lot more twitchy, a lot more like an FPS, which is bad for me, 'cause I suck at the fast accurate action games. I guess I'm hoping you're right, that it is a lot more simple and basic than it looks, 'cause if I'm right, then I'm just going to get left in the dust and not make it out of the first 30 days.

The missions shown were standard "Find this thing and click on it" and "Kill these dudes" missions that every other MMO does.

NPC's were targetted and from there pummeled with the good ole 1-9 combo, there was no aiming involved. The only twitch factor I could see is they seem to have removed auto attack, which isn't new either.

They don't lock you down to a class, which is good. But there doesn't seem to be much way to distinguish yourself except by appearance. I won't call that a bad thing though, has it''s pluses and minuses.

Despite that, it still follows the holy trinity formula: healer/tank/dps.

I was honestly hoping this would be a less combat heavy MMO. More about investigating the supernatural, fighting as a last resort since they are ancient evils and your flesh is soft and tasty.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    They might be ancient evils, but we're animals who kill each other over shiny rocks and lace our food with neurotoxins because we like the feeling of our mouths burning.

Ancient crow demon with knives for hands?

Smalltime. We invented thumb screws.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Counterpoint:The things Cthulhu has invented to torture humans can't even be described in words.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yoshua wrote: »

The missions shown were standard "Find this thing and click on it" and "Kill these dudes" missions that every other MMO does.

NPC's were targetted and from there pummeled with the good ole 1-9 combo, there was no aiming involved. The only twitch factor I could see is they seem to have removed auto attack, which isn't new either.

They don't lock you down to a class, which is good. But there doesn't seem to be much way to distinguish yourself except by appearance. I won't call that a bad thing though, has it''s pluses and minuses.

I was honestly hoping this would be a less combat heavy MMO. More about investigating the supernatural, fighting as a last resort since they are ancient evils and your flesh is soft and tasty.

I thought the AoE castings were fairly twitchy, and the need to quickly leap to exact spots to avoid DoTs in the boss fights had a definite reaction+accuracy thing going.
    I'm not saying it is an FPS, I'm saying there are elements in there. Yeah, there's cross hair aiming, but there is a fair amount of arcade-style moving and acting.

chromdom on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    Counterpoint:The things Cthulhu has invented to torture humans can't even be described in words.

Little known fact, breaded Calamari is actually pure hatred given material form.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yoshua wrote: »

I thought the AoE castings were fairly twitchy, and the need to quickly leap to exact spots to avoid DoTs in the boss fights had a definite reaction+accuracy thing going.
    I'm not saying it is an FPS, I'm saying there are elements in there. Yeah, there's cross hair aiming, but there is a fair amount of arcade-style moving and acting.

You must have watched a different video. I saw no crosshairs. The movement was pretty much what I'd expect, even WoW makes positioning during a boss fight important so as to avoid damage. Hell, EQ1 did that much.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sorry, I misspoke; I meant there are no cross hairs, but there is the quick aiming for AoE's that you'd expect from a cross-hair-aiming FPS.

I suspect, once again, this is a matter of perception. You seem to be a reasonably competent gamer, can move and leap and keep your targets rotating as needed. I, on the other hand, am a plodding, focused-on-one-thing-at-a-time, trying to be RPer. So from your perspective, if I am reading you right, this is just another MMO, good idea, but the game play is nothing to write home about. My perspective is that I am going to have to be a lot faster, a lot more active in whatever role I am playing at the moment.

Reality, as always, is probably somewhere in the middle.

chromdom on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Watched the developer walkthrough videos. The thing I was most interested and excited about was the actual teaching of mechanics. For too long MMOs have mostly been trial and error when it comes to bosses. Regular mobs as basically tank and spank when running through the dungeon, and if you do encounter a new mechanic it's only really in the environment, and even then it isn't generally included in the boss fights.

I also like the skill setup. Looks very fresh.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    New Video!
    3e91807e.jpg
    World & Setting dev diary

I'm loving those monster and environment designs.
    The characters look like shit in comparison.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    For some reason clicking that link just takes me back to the first page.

doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    Also really digging the enemy/setting designs. Although I am wondering why you will apparently encounter Mayans in New England.

doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Vikings, and not New England but... y'know, England.

That looked amazing, the end really was a surprise cause I could swear motherfucking Cthulhu himself was attacking that helicopter.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    I really want to explore the setting they've made.

God only knows if I'll have any fun doing it, but by jove I'm there.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KingMole wrote:
    For some reason clicking that link just takes me back to the first page.

Fixed!

• Options
    KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    All these videos are really wetting my appetite for this game!

360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • Options
    ShiningfuryShiningfury Registered User regular
    Rationally I know that everything from the developers is just marketing bullshit, but I'm still pretty excited about the game now after watching that video. Traveling the globe investigating arcane things from myth sounds great. And that creature at the end is far too small to be Cthulhu, but the thing here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viDNAnUJPAY&feature=player_detailpage#t=205s looks exactly like Cthulhu.

• Options
    ... do you mean the gigantic Elephant thing?

• Options
    Gamescom info for The Secret World: http://live-event.ea.com/gamescom/

• Options
    Game releases April 2012, with beta applications taken starting August 26th. Interesting. I didn't think they were that close.

• Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Frankly, I was skeptical whether this game would ever come out at all.

I'll give it a try. The setting is intriguing.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    definately will give the beta a go, the website says registration starts on the 26th.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    New trailer. Not much new, really, although you get a different rehash of the plot in the voice over.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-secret-the-secret/719752

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So, the countdown reached zero, gateway errors, additional three and a half hours countdown.

reVerse on
  • Options
  • Options
    Regular subscriptions and microtransactions/cash shop for clothing and convenience items only, no "gold ammo". I'm for it.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Yeah Age of Conan does let you buy actual real gear from its shop, but it isn't exactly more powerful than anything else you can get.

• Options
    So.... registration up for anyone?

This discussion has been closed.