As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

• Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am partial to jump kicking the door then beating the crap out of the first guy, flipping across the room to the other guy and sweeping his legs out from under him then kick comboing the last guy out the window.

Oh max payne two oh right I'm so sorry I had no idea.

is this what Kung Fu mod for the first one lets you do?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    I am partial to jump kicking the door then beating the crap out of the first guy, flipping across the room to the other guy and sweeping his legs out from under him then kick comboing the last guy out the window.

Cue the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UglU-ZdPM9c

subedii on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That really makes me want to reinstall max payne.

Coreo on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yes.

You have to use sideways jumps n forward jumps n shit to get next to them though. Just running at them gets you killed.

Wall running works too, when you get it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, the PC is the only real home for max payne.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Who wants to link me to the Max Payne 1 Vista sound patch?

Dude I just did this today. And tested, it works.

link

does this work with the Steam verson?

That's what I've heard, though I've not tested it myself (as I don't have the Steam version...yet.)
    Man, the PC is the only real home for max payne.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Who wants to link me to the Max Payne 1 Vista sound patch?

Dude I just did this today. And tested, it works.

link

does this work with the Steam verson?

Yes.

Used it myself. It comes up with a bunch of error messages at the end for unexpected End of File; this is normal.

Oats on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've been itching for a decent non-military shooter for the last month or so, and hearing the announcement made me pull up Max Payne 2 again.

Since my PC was long since traded in for a mac laptop, I've had to make do with the xbox version. It plays decently on the 360, even though it does chug along at some points. However, and this could just be my shoddy memory, but I don't remember the sepia filter with bullet time being so strong. It's like it washes out all the detail and smears yellow all over the screen; the reload animation looks awful. Was it not as pronounced in the PC version?

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You could turn it off in the PC version or turn the detail up so it wouldn't blur stuff.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks, I suspected there was something like that going on. Truth be told though, even with the fugly graphics and the occasionally dated gameplay (jumping puzzles?! Really?) Max Payne 2 still stands out. The story moves at a perfect pace, and there's juuust enough meta-commentary to lighten the mood without killing the drama.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's been ages since I used to play it all the time but there really were some heavy scenes.

Sort of wish I could play it again without knowing how stuff went, since I was like 13 or something.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jumping puzzle in MP2?

tofu on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Jumping puzzle in MP2?

The walkways in the apartment building come to mind, and there's the collapsing insurance building too, to a lesser extent.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jumping puzzles aside, I've missed playing a balls-to-the-wall shooter. It just seems like so many games forget the fundamentals of great design, and even with gimped controls and graphics Max Payne 2 still nails stylized gameplay like no other. I've replayed certain sections over and over again because it is just THAT fun.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    After just buying the dual pack from Steam, I found myself trying to figure out how to make the resolution on my LCD TV and my Laptop work with the games.

Here's the thing that if you try to play them on new displays: The games were programmed for 4:3 displays. They were never coded for native widescreen. So, when you choose the widescreen displays for the games, what happens is the image is stretched to fit. This results in a noticeable (by me at least) deformation of the models. The other trouble is that both my TV and laptop were taking the 4:3 choices that I was making and stretching them anyway.

I'm not sure if this interests anyone, but in case you were wondering, I thought I'd let people know that you can get around it. Basically, you have to force your displays or graphics cards to NOT scale the image up. For my laptop, there's a video choice for the NVIDIA card to "Not Scale" when using a resolution below the native resolution. When connected to my Phillips HDTV, all I had to do was choose the 4:3 resolution, then tell it to display as 4:3 instead of Unscaled or Widescreen. The resolution I use for each is 1024 x 768 which goes to 4:3.

I do have the large black bars on the side of the display, yes...but the image isn't distorted. Just thought I'd let people know.

Marikir on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Max Payne is looking for something that God wants hidden. And that makes him dingerousssss

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Max Payne is looking for something that God wants hidden. And that makes him dingerousssss

Is he looking for his brother, Alan Wake? Done by the same people if memory serves.

http://www.alanwake.com/

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Btw, this is how you play the kung fu mod, basically.

You use the jumps and stuff to get close, you have invincibility.

You also kind of have to think outside the box and use the ai against itself, like when I "killed" the guy on the balcony. Hehehe.

http://www.gamerstube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=9762031eed0447a9be19

Sorry about the lack of sound.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There is sound, it was recording your mic, haha. Clicks.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah when I use my headphones I can't record with ingame sound cos it's a shitty logitech and uses windows usb drivers.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, I'm going to have to remember to get the Kung-Fu mod and the Cinema Mod. I'm going back through these vanilla once more.

Then I'll use the mods.

Marikir on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm resurrecting this thread, because I just beat Max Payne 2, finally, yesterday. I'm wondering what the other modes are I unlocked? Are they just difficulties? It ended so soon. I wasn't ready, and I want more.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Play through the second and third difficulties. Trust me.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

THE SECRET NOT-CANON ENDING

tofu on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2 more different endings? The first ending did kind of suck.

I think I will go through it again on them. I'm really not looking forward to going through that funhouse again, though. :(

anoffday on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The funhouse was a glorious place of scripted events, well animated cutscenes and asshole physics.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like dropping that wall of crates on those goons.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    2 more different endings? The first ending did kind of suck.

I think I will go through it again on them. I'm really not looking forward to going through that funhouse again, though. :(

One other ending, with DOA.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

THE SECRET HAND-CANNON ENDING

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

THE SECRET HAND-CANNON ENDING

That's the ending filled with Arnold like one liners, right? :winky:

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    WHY DON'T YOU LET OFF SOME STEAM, B.B.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So why do you suggest playing through the second and third difficulties, if there's only 1 other ending?

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Beating a difficulty level only unlocks the next difficulty if I'm not mistaken. The alternate ending is only for the hardest (3rd) difficulty level, therefore you need to beat it twice (easy, medium) to unlock the hardest, and again once on the hardest to actually see it.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Beating a difficulty level only unlocks the next difficulty if I'm not mistaken. The alternate ending is only for the hardest (3rd) difficulty level, therefore you need to beat it twice (easy, medium) to unlock the hardest, and again once on the hardest to actually see it.
    Oh, got it. I thought I unlocked them all.

anoffday on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more (1)world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his (2)last chance for salvation."

1. srsly?

2. dejavu?

Sam on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does the gamestop still carry the first two?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited June 2009

or go on youtube because no living souls apart from child molesters and Rovian Kingmakers deserve that kind of punishment.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are you serious? Max Payne 2 is great fun to play, and it's not like it takes very long if you've already beaten it once.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are you serious? Max Payne 2 is great fun to play, and it's not like it takes very long if you've already beaten it once.

i dont disagree but

it leaves a bad taste in my mouth

especially the drugged out parts. small part of the overall game but i remember them most cause WTF WERE THEY THINKING?

Sam on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marikir wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this interests anyone, but in case you were wondering, I thought I'd let people know that you can get around it. Basically, you have to force your displays or graphics cards to NOT scale the image up. For my laptop, there's a video choice for the NVIDIA card to "Not Scale" when using a resolution below the native resolution. When connected to my Phillips HDTV, all I had to do was choose the 4:3 resolution, then tell it to display as 4:3 instead of Unscaled or Widescreen. The resolution I use for each is 1024 x 768 which goes to 4:3.

I do have the large black bars on the side of the display, yes...but the image isn't distorted. Just thought I'd let people know.

Where is that setting? I, too, have my PC hooked up to an HDTV, and I have an Nvidia card.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.