As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Long held misconceptions

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Asiina wrote: »
    Hyperbole isn't pronounced hyperbowl, and fugue isn't pronounced foogoo.

I had a teacher who pronounced epitome as eh-pe-toam. I knew how to pronounce that word correctly before, but ever since then I think of it in my head as eh-pe-toam before I say eh-pi-toe-me. I re-learned it wrong.

my grade 5 teacher pronounced awry as "awe-ree", and having only before seen the word used in books, i just assumed she was saying it correctly

so i pronounced it that way until 9th grade when i used the word when talking to my english teacher and she corrected me

whoooooops

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I used to think life was fair.

Then I read the "suave motherfucker" thread.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I think if you ask for a coke though they will give you a coke

I can confirm.

For Atlanta, at least. I'm not sure about the intestines of the deep south.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I once believed I was eating butter.
    I couldn't believe that it wasn't.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think if you ask for a coke though they will give you a coke

Living in the south I can confirm that that is true.

At least in TN it is.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What do southerners expect when they use it in the generic sense? Whatever you've got in the cooler?

LadyM on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's segway? A mispronunciation of segue?

I always thought that was some American dialect word!

"Well Bob, let's segway into some Baseball news..."

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »

Yeah, I'm afraid the Segway has ruined the word segue for our country.

enc0re on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

segway.jpg

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LadyM wrote: »
    What do southerners expect when they use it in the generic sense? Whatever you've got in the cooler?

If it's someone else standing in front of the fridge/cooler to get one for you, they might say "Do you want a coke? We have Dr. Pepper, Diet and Sprite."

Also "tea" in the south is sweet tea with lemon. If you want unsweet tea or sweet tea without lemon, you have to carefully identify it to the waitress and be prepared to take the lemon off/out. One of the awesome things about visiting Toronto from Alabama is when I asked for sweet tea, the waitress brought me a glass of unsweetened iced tea and a caddy of assorted sweeteners.

Solandra on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    enc0re wrote: »

Yeah, I'm afraid the Segway has ruined the word segue for our country.

They're both a way to get from one place to another...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had a teacher who pronounced epitome as eh-pe-toam. I knew how to pronounce that word correctly before, but ever since then I think of it in my head as eh-pe-toam before I say eh-pi-toe-me. I re-learned it wrong.
    my grade 5 teacher pronounced awry as "awe-ree", and having only before seen the word used in books, i just assumed she was saying it correctly
    From my science teacher, Nicolas Coppernickus was a famous science guy and had some disagreements with Potolmee.

BTW, teachers don't like it when you tell them they're saying it wrong.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I probably enjoyed this way more than I should have. Well done, chap.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    From my science teacher, Nicolas Coppernickus was a famous science guy and had some disagreements with Potolmee.

BTW, teachers don't like it when you tell them they're saying it wrong.

In year 8 i had a bible studies teacher who was determined to pronounce talons as tally-ee-ons, but i never got to correct her, because as an athiest student in a 7th day adventist school you learn to pick your battles.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In year 8 i had a bible studies teacher who was determined to pronounce talons as tally-ee-ons, but i never got to correct her, because as an athiest student in a 7th day adventist school you learn to pick your battles.

For a long time I thought Seven Days in Venice was a retarded name for a religion.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Buddy Lee wrote: »

Sadly, it wasn't my original idea. It was a post way back in another forum, and it always stuck with me because the reactions were so hilarious.

"It's not butter? What the fuck!?"

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Buddy Lee wrote: »

Sadly, it wasn't my original idea. It was a post way back in another forum, and it always stuck with me because the reactions were so hilarious.

"It's not butter? What the fuck!?"

I, for one, was never fooled.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WarrnWarrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Raybies666 wrote: »

so i pronounced it that way until 9th grade when i used the word when talking to my english teacher and she corrected me

whoooooops

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

As someone who types "wry" instead of "why" on occasion, just to be silly, I found this far too amusing. Also, I am guilty of the 'awe-ree' pronunciation, despite the fact that I've always known 'uh-rye' meant the same exact thing. I didn't even make the connection when I saw someone say it correctly and spell it. I had to be corrected in conversation. And yet I still say it wrong.

Warrn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The discussion on segue vs. segway enlightened me on how "segue" is pronounced.

I always thought the word was pronounced "seg."

And that people who confused it with "segway" were retarded.

Pipe Dreamer on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's only fair. Fugue is pronounced as such. As is Prague.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Solandra wrote: »

If it's someone else standing in front of the fridge/cooler to get one for you, they might say "Do you want a coke? We have Dr. Pepper, Diet and Sprite."

Also "tea" in the south is sweet tea with lemon. If you want unsweet tea or sweet tea without lemon, you have to carefully identify it to the waitress and be prepared to take the lemon off/out. One of the awesome things about visiting Toronto from Alabama is when I asked for sweet tea, the waitress brought me a glass of unsweetened iced tea and a caddy of assorted sweeteners.

Thankfully, this is changing. At least in Georgia.

More and more, "coke" actually gets you Coca-Cola Classic, while asking for "tea" will get you the question, "Sweetened or unsweetened?". I think unsweetened tea is getting more popular.

People still think that hot tea is only for British people and discussing it requires a really bad "British" accent. Uneducated philistines. For some reason, women seem to be more likely to do this then men....

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

More and more, "coke" actually gets you Coca-Cola Classic, while asking for "tea" will get you the question, "Sweetened or unsweetened?". I think unsweetened tea is getting more popular.

People still think that hot tea is only for British people and discussing it requires a really bad "British" accent. Uneducated philistines. For some reason, women seem to be more likely to do this then men....

Women are more likely to know who the British are.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Women are more likely to know who the British are.

Maybe. I think they might also be more likely to want to do the really horrible "accent".

Synthesis on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You mean 'orrible, don't you?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    You mean 'orrible, don't you?

Exactly.

And I am not combining 'm' and the number eight.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    On that note a misconception that everyone seems to have in the US is that there is such a thing as a single British accent.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    On that note a misconception that everyone seems to have in the US is that there is such a thing as a single British accent.

I learned English from a woman from Hong Kong. So, to this day, I still pronounce it 'zed', unless I'm consciously thinking about it. But I think Hong Kong English features components from American.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I was always get tickled about that as well, even as an American. Asking a friend what type of British accent her bf can do (after her bragging about his good British accent) just got me a weird look.

never die on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    never die wrote: »

I was always get tickled about that as well, even as an American. Asking a friend what type of British accent her bf can do (after her bragging about his good British accent) just got me a weird look.

Honestly, I'm pretty ignorant to this.

What, English and Cockney? Maybe Welsh is different? I couldn't tell.

Scottish is its own thing.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

A lot more than that even. Imagine all of America compressed down into the size of about one state, with all the accents available. We have a mid-west accent, a west coast accent, a southern accent, cajun accents, north-eastern accents, New Yorkers have an accent all their own, and I'm sure many more I can't even think of. They're all "American" accents. England has the same issue.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

your missing some of the best ones, like Geordie, Northern, Scouse and West Country. Geordie is particularly funny, except when a tramp is screaming at you in it.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    BoredGamer wrote: »

your missing some of the best ones, like Geordie, Northern, Scouse and West Country. Geordie is particularly funny, except when a tramp is screaming at you in it.

Pretty much every county and larger city has its own accent, really.

Scouse is pretty funny as well.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Re: Coke (spoilered for huge)
    pop-county.gif

Pretty accurate for the places I've visited.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH_kOjsXakM

That's not even all of them.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

Which one's the one that sounds like a drunken slur and makes you want to scream "use your lips" at the TV?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Brummie?

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was convinced that a flammable was something that you used to put out a fire until a year ago.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Re: Coke (spoilered for huge)
    pop-county.gif

Pretty accurate for the places I've visited.

Who takes the time to do that? Did some soda company really want to know?

never die on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What is this soda you speak of?

Surely you mean "pop" my good man!

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Which one's the one that sounds like a drunken slur and makes you want to scream "use your lips" at the TV?

Of course, the twist is that if some form of English is not your first language, a good 80% of these accents blend together as 'roughly the same thing'. The notion of a British accent (instead of an English one or whatever) is literally true for the rest of the non-English speaking world.

Synthesis on