As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Katamari Damacy (update 06/08) THE END

KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
He's still making LPs? Well, I'm Kaseius, punk. Don't you know me? Believe it!

KatamariDamacybox.jpg

You probably all know this game. If not, shame on you and were you hiding in a cave when this came out?
Katamari Damacy (塊魂 ,Katamari Damashii, lit. "Clump Spirit") is a third-person puzzle-action video game that is published and developed by Namco for the PlayStation 2 video game console. It was first released in Japan, and then later in South Korea and North America. The game resulted from a school project from the Namco Digital Hollywood Game Laboratory, and was developed for less than $1 million. In designing Katamari Damacy, the development team aimed to maintain four key points: novelty, ease of understanding, enjoyment, and humor.

The game's plot concerns a diminutive prince on a mission to rebuild the stars, constellations and Moon, which were accidentally destroyed by his father, the King of All Cosmos. This is achieved by rolling a magical, highly adhesive ball called a katamari around various locations, collecting increasingly larger objects, ranging from thumbtacks to people to mountains, until the ball has grown large enough to become a star. Katamari Damacy's story, characters, and settings are bizarre and heavily stylized, rarely attempting any semblance of realism, though the brands and items used are based on those current in Japan during the game's production.

Let's get this ball rollin' already.

Set01: ROYAL RAINBOW
Set02: Better grab everything I can!
Set03: So simple, so ANNOYING!
Set04: Nice break!
Set05: Furry Convention?
Set09: At Long Last..

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
Kaseius on

• Options
    BeenieWeenieBeenieWeenie So Delicious So NutritiousRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was totally wanting to make my own LP of this but I was like "Meh, it can't be that fun to watch."

But it is. It is.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kas, you are a gem.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hurray! Katamari Damacy LP!

Also, please wear the Chef Hat at least once.

Adellios on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You never cease to amaze me.

I love your videos because when they first come out all of the videos have the same views, so you can see the whole cycle.

It's also good to see you are firmly against cancer in all forms.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, I only watched the first vid so far. I'm totally microwaving some KFC so I can sit and watch this.

Thanks for stealing my life again, Kas.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man the first Katamari was so much better then the rest of the games. And Kaseius maybe by the time you are done with Katamari you will own ZOE2 and you can play that.

Because you must play it.

And Way of the Samurai.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Too much stuff to quote here, you guys are the best

Kaseius on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You need a new picture in your sig though.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I sort of liked the second one the best.

I only own the first one and the one on 360 right now. Beautiful Katamari is okay but... I dunno. They lost something.

But the MUSIC, the music in the first is far superior to any other.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Katamari Damacy Tribute looks like it'll be good for PS3.
    Have to wait and see I guess, but if it's a kind of collection of all the games mashed into one, I'm all over it.:^:
    I really enjoyed the first 2.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    Katamari Damacy Tribute looks like it'll be good for PS3.
    Have to wait and see I guess, but if it's a kind of collection of all the games mashed into one, I'm all over it.:^:
    I really enjoyed the first 2.

I'm definitely going to pick it up unless it comes out for more than 39.99; you just can't say no to an HD Katamari with remixes. At least, I can't.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So... you like getting crabs on your cancerous balls? *is shot, repeatedly, and without mercy*

This makes me want to play through the second one again... then I remember the words 'campfire level' and think "to hell with that." Have to say that I grabbed probably the best planet name ever in that one though; "Thimble Uranus."

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Unless you're me and you don't have a PS3.

Then you say no.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, I really should get this game, or at least one of the sequels. All I played is Me and My Katamari, which was pretty fun despite some minor control problems

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man I cant belive I forgot about this game, its been too long. Wathcing this for sure.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wish they would just make HD versions of the first 2, bundle them, and throw them on PSN for around 15 bucks. It would be just lovely.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I noticed you removed cowboy samurai from your sig....

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I noticed you removed cowboy samurai from your sig....

And Blood Will Tell -- the limit on image size in signature limits me to those four unless I want to shrink the width a bit more, but I like the squares.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes yes yes, this is awesome sounding.

I must find a PS2 so I can play Katamari again.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    New one's kind of short.

Set02: Better grab everything I can!

Kaseius on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hoorah! Keep them coming Kase!

Man, I'm hankering for some Katamari myself, does anyone know if Beautiful Katamari for the 360 is any good?

Xtarath on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can guarantee that I have played this game more than anyone here. I had my collection nearly complete; I think I was missing no less than 10 items. Without the use of any guides, mind you.

ed: I also had most of the constellation challenges complete, and had unlocked all eternal modes. i.e. I <3 Katamari Damacy

guar on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I missed your ZOE lets play, but this one, I like. I only regret not playing this game when I had a chance. :( It looks crazy and fun.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dear lord look what you have done. I love Katamari Damacy so much that my parents think I have a rolling problem.

I do.

Maybe when your done you can do We Love Katamari?

Am I the only one who would think Katamari Damacy would be less crazy if you were on LSd while playing it? There is no way anything could make that game even crazier.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I actually don't have the 2nd one.. D:

(same with ZOE, curse you people suggesting it)

And Xtarath, I had it before (bought it for like 12 bucks maybe?) and enjoyed what I played of it. If you're hankering for some rollin' action, it should suffice.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I got the copy used off of Ebay, then promptly lost the instruction booklet. Then again I played the first one so I knew what I was up agaisnt.

I hope the prince grows up to look just like his father.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok, I'm going to go dig up my copy of Me & My Katamari again. These games are great, and good job Kaseius

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    I got the copy used off of Ebay, then promptly lost the instruction booklet. Then again I played the first one so I knew what I was up agaisnt.

I hope the prince grows up to look just like his father.

There's an instruction booklet?
    I kid; I know there's a booklet, the tutorial at the beginning is pretty much all you need though.

guar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If you look up during the tutorial you see the kig's huge head staring down at you. I think that's in the first. I'd have to check again in I Love Katamari.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Hoorah! Keep them coming Kase!

Man, I'm hankering for some Katamari myself, does anyone know if Beautiful Katamari for the 360 is any good?

It's pretty good. You get to roll up some pretty epic stuff at the end. Biggest new thing is that instead of "Make the Katamari this big", it's "Make the katamari this big, and make it mostly playthings" for each level. Much harder to get high scores and eternal modes. AND no more loading screens between parts of levels... it's all loaded at the beginning. Sweet.
    guar wrote: »
    I can guarantee that I have played this game more than anyone here.

I contest you. I used to be a security guard out in the woods, and for twelve hours a day, twice a week, Katamari all day long. I'd take my PS2 to work and jam on it all day.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am brought to tears by the quality of this!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I never thought of the king having a deep manly SNAAAAAAKE voice. I always thought it would be...

fabulous.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    If you look up during the tutorial you see the kig's huge head staring down at you. I think that's in the first. I'd have to check again in I Love Katamari.

In the second one, the tutorial stage is actually ON his head.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I never thought of the king having a deep manly SNAAAAAAKE voice. I always thought it would be...

fabulous.

Well, the King is pretty manly.. right?

Right? :cry:

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I contest you. I used to be a security guard out in the woods, and for twelve hours a day, twice a week, Katamari all day long. I'd take my PS2 to work and jam on it all day.

All my free time for entire semester in college was dedicated to Katamari. The advent of Shadow of the Colossus was the only thing to pull me away.

guar on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »

fabulous.

Well, the King is pretty manly.. right?

Right? :cry:

The king is so manly that he smokes rainbows and sleeps atop a candy cane dolphin.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

All my free time for entire semester in college was dedicated to Katamari. The advent of Shadow of the Colossus was the only thing to pull me away.

Heh. We should have a KATAMARI TOURNAMENT!

It'd be a Japanophile Fab-fest.

...and awesome.

Kas, great job, just watched the second set. If I was doing this, I'd get too addicted and post, like, the entire game in one night.

When you get to the last level you'll probably have to use three videos for it, heh. It's a long level.
    Basil wrote: »
    The king is so manly that he smokes rainbows and sleeps atop a candy cane dolphin.

He also seems to have a problem with child abuse... in Beautiful Katamari, if you fail a Katamari he puts you on a pool table and slams you into the walls with pool balls. I think in the first one he throws lightning bolts at you.

Pretty harsh punishment.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Heh. We should have a KATAMARI TOURNAMENT!

It'd be a Japanophile Fab-fest.

...and awesome.

Kas, great job, just watched the second set. If I was doing this, I'd get too addicted and post, like, the entire game in one night.

When you get to the last level you'll probably have to use three videos for it, heh. It's a long level.
    Basil wrote: »

He also seems to have a problem with child abuse... in Beautiful Katamari, if you fail a Katamari he puts you on a pool table and slams you into the walls with pool balls. I think in the first one he throws lightning bolts at you.

Pretty harsh punishment.

In Me and My Katamari, he ties you up by a string and throws boxing gloves at you. You can dodge them, but I have to wonder if you get something special for avoiding all (if there is an end) of them

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sure, it's all sunshine and rolling and rainbows. But then you try the two player co-op. Nothing, and I mean nothing on this planet is better than that at reducing the best of friends into mindless, spitting, uncontrollable rage. I think if we tried playing for more than a minute, my girlfriend and I would have broken up. This is the girl I'm engaged to now. It's that bad.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sure, it's all sunshine and rolling and rainbows. But then you try the two player co-op. Nothing, and I mean nothing on this planet is better than that at reducing the best of friends into mindless, spitting, uncontrollable rage. I think if we tried playing for more than a minute, my girlfriend and I would have broken up. This is the girl I'm engaged to now. It's that bad.

The best part is when you spam drop pots on their head while mocking them when they lose..

Mm, victory is a delicious meal.. truly, it is the delicacy of life.

Kaseius on