As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] ITT, we saw Thetheroo become a broken husk of a man. [via School Days]

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haruhi was pretty great.
    Itsuki is so wonderful.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    Alright, suggestion time, I want the most hot-blooded anime you've seen! I don't care if it's shonen or giant robot shonen or sports shonen or what, I just want my blood to boil from sheer exposure. I've seen TTGL, I've seen Orange-kun, and it's not enough.

I'm asking you, anime thread, show me your hot-blooded section!

It's not an anime but you should find and read a manga called "Moeyo Pen." It's a manga (about writing manga) by the person responsible for the anime store bits in Lucky Star and it's the most hot-blooded thing I've ever seen.

Otherwise:

- G Gundam
    - Hajime no Ippo
    - Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
    - Shin Mazinger

bisondollars on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sea Story 1 was booooooooring.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Quentin wrote: »
    Two close sisters go to school in Tokyo.

A young girl finds love and enjoyment for her Craft while uncovering a conspiracy.

A young man fights to protect his island paradise home in a giant robot.
    These three are still unsolved. I'll add more clues in later if necessary.

Middle one could be Witch Hunter Robin, I suppose. Not how I'd describe it.

Last one is Soukyuu no Fafner.
    Ding!

That only leaves the first one out of the list.

I'm guessing Candy Boy for that. I don't know if they're in Tokyo, but they're close, if you know what I mean. :winky:

EDIT: Doh, beaten

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Summer season preview image is up. Umineko next week, woo. Also have the second series of OVA's or something for Negima sometime this summer.
    005bfc57.jpg

Zandracon on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm surprised no one suggested Basara for hot blooded anime.

Greeper, what the shit out of that show. It is THE ridiculous action anime of this season. I would post some youtube stuff, but I'm at work.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's this magic people anime. Little octagonal dealies that turn into weapons like a big sword with a sash or these weird razorblade like things on jointed metal legs that attach to thighs. The also make good artificial hearts.

I can't remember the name. I'm pretty sure it is 1) Hot Blooded 2) Not retarded 3) Not Super Robot and 4) Kinda Good.

It made for a good combination.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    redx wrote: »
    There's this magic people anime. Little octagonal dealies that turn into weapons like a big sword with a sash or these weird razorblade like things on jointed metal legs that attach to thighs. The also make good artificial hearts.

I can't remember the name. I'm pretty sure it is 1) Hot Blooded 2) Not retarded 3) Not Super Robot and 4) Kinda Good.

It made for a good combination.

It's Busou Renkin, and yes it's good. And hot blooded. Especially the opening.

WHOAOHAOH WHOAOHAOH DANANANANA

bisondollars on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, Haruhi....
    Apparently someone noticed some shenanigans happening in the ED of Haruhi.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8anusWlZ9E
    One might say that it seems to be disappearing...

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Umineko~ Umineko~ Can't wait for Umineko~

Heard some clips from the audio drama, everyone sounds pretty good, so I'm satisfied so far.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, Haruhi....

What am I missing here? Explain it to me.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    So, Haruhi....

What am I missing here? Explain it to me.
    In the initial portion where the characters are each flashing on the background, the 12 and 13 ones are far lighter then the 8 one. Honestly it looks like they just made a decision to change it since 12 and 13 are the same. I guess we'll see as it goes forward. It doesn't look like shenanigans yet to me.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Rust is the the wild card around these parts.

The correct answer is "better than anything ever"

Look it was a close call but in the end there was just a little more on that side then there was on this side.

For an arc that took place in a prison it was somehow...Lawless.

I think that was because Law was on the Shabony Arc.

*rimshot*

Yes thank you that was the joke

:P

Godfather on
  • Options
    QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm so glad to have Haruhi back in my life. Messing around with narration and formal structure is a sure-fire way to get me interested in something, and Haruhi at least attempts to do that better than any other anime I've seen.

Quentin on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For hot blooded action, Busou Renkin is your best bet provided you've watched what you've watched.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Naruto was pretty good this week, aside from...
    ...the ongoing inexplicable emotions from Sakura to Sasuke and the continued blatant ignoring of the whole Hinata thing, which is (at this point) completely, obviously forgotten since they're about to go traipsing about again.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    For hot blooded action, Busou Renkin is your best bet provided you've watched what you've watched.

Also, Tokiko is the best Shonen heroine ever. Ever. Don't fuck with her, for she will splatter your guts out.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Balsa, from Moribito, would give Tokiko a run for her money.

redx on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure if Moribito quite counts as Shonen, though, so I think I can reasonably stand by my comment. But I agree, Balsa is also fierce.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Eh... well that what wikipedia considers it. It's not exactly hard to argue it is closer to Seinen I suppose.

Shakugan no Shana, maybe? Naw, Tokiko would kick her ass pretty quick. She gets pretty worthless for largish sections of the show. It has some kinda hot blooded moments though. Nothing as much as Busou Renkin though.

Edit:And, you know freaking Claymore was in freaking Shonen Jump. Clare gets to be pretty damned badass by the end of the anime. Everything after the first battle in the north is freaking amazing.

redx on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    1000 Shadows? This won't end well...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've decided to watch Ergo Proxy again, after a long hiatus. I basically forgot about it. It was an interesting anime, albeit totally weird.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wish it didn't have the weird game show episode. 1) it was just totally weird as hell and didn't really fit at all with the rest of the show 2) it was pretty crummy writing because it was an excuse for a tonne of exposition that really could have been avoided by showing it in small ways throughout the show or at least several episodes.

redx on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    ...the ongoing inexplicable emotions from Sakura to Sasuke and the continued blatant ignoring of the whole Hinata thing, which is (at this point) completely, obviously forgotten since they're about to go traipsing about again.
    Yeah, it's kind of messed up that he hasn't even spoken to her since the Pain incident. Gaara's back now, though, so all is forgiven.

I got tired of the anime filler, so I decided to catch up with the manga, and it's been pretty enjoyable. Killerbee is awesome.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but it appears that FMA:Brotherhood being updated on Hulu again. Episode 10 is up and running.

Sadly it seems one piece has still not made its return.

Brotherhood Spoilers?
    I got choked up on this episode as well, just as with the previous series.

Hughes' death felt a little less harrowing in this incarnation of the series, but I can't tell if that was due to me knowing it was coming/preparing myself, or because this series lacked a little of the exposition that brought him to light and into our hearts.

For instance, in the old FMA, the Elric Brothers actually deliver Gracia's baby, Elicia. That episode is pretty touching and you feel much closer to the Hughes family due through the brothers. Brotherhood is sadly lacking that episode, so I feel the bond between the viewer and Hughes isn't quite as powerful as before. Hey, though, I guess you can't have everything. I am enjoying the speed of the new series. I have never once felt like the show was going slow or getting tiresome.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    God damn it guys, stop talking about One Piece. You know how hard it is to hear you all gushing about it while I'm patiently waiting for the dub releases to come out? Damn you all.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    God damn it guys, stop talking about One Piece. You know how hard it is to hear you all gushing about it while I'm patiently waiting for the dub releases to come out? Damn you all.

So read the manga, it's just as awesome.

Rust on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    New Haruhi
    I'm really surprised that wasn't resolved this week. Not that I'm complaining, it was excellent, and seeing how the mood changed from the previous episode was pretty nifty.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

So read the manga, it's just as awesome.

Nah, I decided I wanted to experience things by watching the Funi dub. The english manga is way behind the Japanese one anyway.

Nice thing is, after the next set comes out in a few days, it's only two months till the next one, and then only one month until the one after that. I hope they keep up the fast pace.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Funi dub is really good, but I'm not waiting years to get caught up. I'm around 380 right now, and I hope that the sub stream starts up by the time I get caught up.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck (One Piece)
    IMG_0218.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That is a really, really busy picture.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectre wrote: »
    Yeah, it's kind of messed up that he hasn't even spoken to her since the Pain incident. Gaara's back now, though, so all is forgiven.

I got tired of the anime filler, so I decided to catch up with the manga, and it's been pretty enjoyable. Killerbee is awesome.
    Killerbee is the best new Naruto character in forever. And by the looks of things, he's going to be showing up again soon! :D

Also nice to see Gaara and co. again, but I'm confused by something: Why does he still have the black rings around his eyes? I thought those went away with the 1-tailed beast.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

Killerbee is the best new Naruto character in forever. And by the looks of things, he's going to be showing up again soon! :D

Also nice to see Gaara and co. again, but I'm confused by something: Why does he still have the black rings around his eyes? I thought those went away with the 1-tailed beast.
    he still has the gourd, too. which was previously made from gaara's sand.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »

he still has the gourd, too. which was previously made from gaara's sand.
    The sand stuff he should still be able to do, it's just that he has to use his own energy instead of it being automatic. Basically, assume his reaction time and endurance took a bit of a dive. At the same time, older, blah blah - I'm assuming he's about the same as he was in the Chunin exam.

As for the eye thing, who knows? Maybe he just decided that it was his "look," or they didn't want the loss of the Biju to become common knowledge, so they're using makeup.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, Baccano. I've heard a lot about it, but I've never got around to watching it. Should I remedy this situation and post impressions?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    So, Baccano. I've heard a lot about it, but I've never got around to watching it. Should I remedy this situation and post impressions?

Yes.

Yes, you should.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yes.

Yes, you should.

I'm thinking seriously of picking up Mars Daybreak from Amazon. Should I?

Will it be the fun lighthearted action series I want it to be?

Rchanen on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

God yes.

It's an amazingly good show.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I finished the first series of Ippo and got through the Champion Road special.

WHICH WAS FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Really, I'd pretty much enjoyed the show until then, despite the incessant sob stories tacked on to every challenger (really, couldn't he just have a godamn boxing match?) and the constant comebacks. He Hogan'd he way through like 60 episodes and a dozen fights, and he was finally starting to get some actual technique down, then they throw in the anime bullshit gimmick fight. His opponent is studying to be a doctor, so obviously he's going to give Ippo a complete physical every time he lands a punch. Right.

The animation was nice, though. I hope it isn't a sign of the direction the show takes in the second series. I'd probably give it a pass.

I also struggled through another disc of GITS:SAC. Still don't get the draw.

That said, Cross Game is pretty great in the 3 or so episodes I've watched, and I'm about 7 deep into Eden of the East and loving it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
This discussion has been closed.