As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am playing Deus Ex for the first time.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I hated trying to save paul because that part was so buggy, and sometimes it ended with him attacking me, or being "dead" even though he had singlehandedly wiped out the entire UNACTO squad, because one soldier wound up stuck in the elevator or under the stairs or something. The first time I played it I actually thought you couldn't save him, because I thought I had and then he turned up dead later.
    While the stylish way to do that section is to kill everyone through high powered explosives, ala Sunglasses at Night, there is an easier way
    Just run at the soldiers and die instead of going out the window. Paul will live, and you don't have to agonize over winning that fight. Also, helps if you are trying to get through the game without killing anyone, but want to save Paul.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The saddest thing was
    chatting up the dorky guy who loves you at the front desk of UNATCO then later then having to put a crossbow bolt in his brain :(

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks like I'm about to buy this... I can't control my hands... Oh no they just picked up my credit card... Noooo they're signing on to steam!!!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The saddest thing was
    chatting up the dorky guy who loves you at the front desk of UNATCO then later then having to put a crossbow bolt in his brain :(

Bitch should have laid the fuck down when he saw you coming.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Coolest thing was
    chatting up the dorky guy who loves you at the front desk of UNATCO then later then having to put a crossbow bolt in his brain :D

There, fixed for ya

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hated trying to save paul because that part was so buggy, and sometimes it ended with him attacking me, or being "dead" even though he had singlehandedly wiped out the entire UNACTO squad, because one soldier wound up stuck in the elevator or under the stairs or something. The first time I played it I actually thought you couldn't save him, because I thought I had and then he turned up dead later.
    While the stylish way to do that section is to kill everyone through high powered explosives, ala Sunglasses at Night, there is an easier way
    Just run at the soldiers and die instead of going out the window. Paul will live, and you don't have to agonize over winning that fight. Also, helps if you are trying to get through the game without killing anyone, but want to save Paul.
    The easiest way is to
    hide in the closet at the beginning while he kills most of the people. If you go out of the window, he is automatically dead so just follow him. After that, it is mostly a case of figuring out how to silently take down the people between you and the subway if you are playing a pacifist. You could always run like hell, I guess.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Didn't we have one of these threads once where we started talking about
    "hey, I couldn't bring myself to abandon Paul in the apartment, so I never found out what happens if you don't save him"
    and someone else freaked out and said
    "wait, you can save Paul?!"

Pretty sure this exact conversation happens every time someone posts a Deus Ex thread.

Sometimes you need to replace Paul with Jock.

Couscous on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What caused the damage to the underwater research lab? There are a bunch of dead scientists floating around but why are parts of the building caved in? If you have your swim skill raised, you can swim down to the moon pool without taking the sub and you'll notice even more damage to the building. Some of the holes are big enough to swim through and you find a few goodies. Who was trying to destroy the whole building if Majestic 12 already controlled it?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought it was illuminati or x-51 controlled before they moved in. or something.

august on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It was the triad turf wars. I can't rememebr which one did it, but they bombed the entire area.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So, as someone not knowing anything about this game, I suspect there's a multitude of play styles. Could I play this as a sneaky assassin motherfucker with silenced weapons and one-shot sniping?

Honk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes.

YES YOU CAN.

august on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    So, as someone not knowing anything about this game, I suspect there's a multitude of play styles. Could I play this as a sneaky assassin motherfucker with silenced weapons and one-shot sniping?

Yup.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ANTICIPATION RISING!

Honk on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Real men don't kill anyone though.

Without explosives

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    But you're gonna suck at it for the first few hours. Because you know... rpg elements and all. Well, suck at shooting dudes in the face, because your reticule will be all over the place until you level up rifles pretty high. You can still sneak around and stun the crap out of people pretty effectively right from the get go if you're patient.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also out of interest, the first time this thread popped up how many people reinstalled?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    /raises hand

Meant to finally play TNM, but Win7 fuckuppery meant that I ended up rageformatting to XP last night instead, so I'll hopefully get that finished tonight.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Dragon's tooth sword + fully upgraded speed augmentation in your legs = Jedi

/nerd

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I got to a certain part in the game where you are escaping a certain facility:
    Right, so its when you get caught by the UNATCO guys (right after meeting with Paul and defecting yourself). During the escape I looked everywhere for the two passwords to kill anna, but couldn't find them both. I was able to find the first, in Manderley's (who I decided to just knock unconscious) office, but coulden't locate the computer for the second.

So when I faced Anna I just aimed a rocked at the wall behind her.... "Well I guess I will have to kill yo-" *BOOM* "AHHHHHH"..... She died from the burning. It was pretty satisfying to see her spend her last moments helplessly flailing her arms around, but I am curious as to where the second password was anyway. Anyone know?

Also I suspect I will see Miguel again. Seems like if they make you do all that work to keep the guy alive, you would get more than a "well I'll see you later".

Game be so awesome.
    Did you tell Miguel to run, or to stay?
    I had him by my side until we reached the copter, where he told me he would be fine from there on out.

I thought it would have been a little silly to just send him out on his own to escape a base full of hostile dudes with assault weapons when he only has a combat knife. :P

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I got to a certain part in the game where you are escaping a certain facility:
    Right, so its when you get caught by the UNATCO guys (right after meeting with Paul and defecting yourself). During the escape I looked everywhere for the two passwords to kill anna, but couldn't find them both. I was able to find the first, in Manderley's (who I decided to just knock unconscious) office, but coulden't locate the computer for the second.

So when I faced Anna I just aimed a rocked at the wall behind her.... "Well I guess I will have to kill yo-" *BOOM* "AHHHHHH"..... She died from the burning. It was pretty satisfying to see her spend her last moments helplessly flailing her arms around, but I am curious as to where the second password was anyway. Anyone know?

Also I suspect I will see Miguel again. Seems like if they make you do all that work to keep the guy alive, you would get more than a "well I'll see you later".

Game be so awesome.
    Did you tell Miguel to run, or to stay?
    I had him by my side until we reached the copter, where he told me he would be fine from there on out.

I thought it would have been a little silly to just send him out on his own to escape a base full of hostile dudes with assault weapons when he only has a combat knife. :P

Would be funny though

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My friend talked up this game for years. I borrowed the box from him, but it sat under my desk for about a year. Couldn't get past the way the character's mouths move. Which is odd, because I'm not a graphics whore at all.

Damn. Double damn. You crazy assholes are going to make me grab this from Steam, aren't you?

I really wanted to build Denton as a stealth infiltrator/melee monster. Get in and get out as quietly as possible, but when the inevitable shit hits the fan, cut every motherrfucker in sight. I should do this.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BigDes wrote: »
    Also out of interest, the first time this thread popped up how many people reinstalled?

I never uninstalled.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My blades only run was fucking awesome fun. I only had the finite amount of throwng knives to work with that are in the game, plus the dragon's tooth sword. My favotire part was putting on the cloak, high jump and targeting aug, leaping onto the roof of a gas station, zooming into the head of a beefed up bad guy and whipping a knife into the back of his head from around 20ft away.

I would join in all you guys with the reinstall thing but I've beaten this game way too many times on realistic many different ways and read most of the script in text document anyway, plus I used to mode the game. I'd start playing again but it would all be too samey for me. Those first 6 runthoughs of the game were amazing though.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The graphics mods are promising but I really hope in a year or two they are a bit more fleshed out. Too many half-finished projects, betas, and crap that hasn't been integrated. It's mostly there and I'm playing TNM with decent looking textures and rendering, albeit still with hideous models and at 1280x960 because I can't read the text at 1600x1200 without straining.

I really hope the community makes a final push and gets this stuff polished off nicely.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

/raise hand

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got the steamsteam version because I couldn't find my game disk

Fortunately I have other shit to do/play so it's just taunting me for now

AGENT ORANGE

Robman on
  • Options
    Uber AbgestopptUber Abgestoppt BEERGICIAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reinstalled. Guilty as charged!

Uber Abgestoppt on
    demoman.png
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I imagine this game is a lot more fun when you're shooting things up.
    The pacifist way of playing the game is stressful

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Like you wouldn't believe. By the end you could have the ability to become completely invisible, jump over entire buildings, and see through walls. You'll be the thing ninja mothers tell ninja children about to make them eat their veggies.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I actually stalled on my second run through of this game because I thought it'd be fun to play a gunslinger. Just gets really boring because the engine doesn't quite work as a twitch shooter. A mix of both approaches is probably best. Exact same thing happened with SS2.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I always thought that Deus Ex' shooter gameplay was much less fun than that of a 'dedicated' shooter. Also, whenever there's a viable sneak/snipe option in one of these games I'm compelled to take it. Sticking to the shadows and giggling with glee at what I'll do from there has always been my call.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I went to reinstall, but it was already installed.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the crossbow is super fun for a stealthy character

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    The easiest way is to
    hide in the closet at the beginning while he kills most of the people. If you go out of the window, he is automatically dead so just follow him. After that, it is mostly a case of figuring out how to silently take down the people between you and the subway if you are playing a pacifist. You could always run like hell, I guess.
    Paul tends to bug out and disappear if you stay and watch him fight, which I think usually counts as him having survived, but really, there's no reason to actually try to escape. You have to be captured, and if you make it to the subway that just means you have to kill/avoid Anna Navarre and then get beat up by Gunther. And you only get about 100 EXP for it. So what's the point?

I'm currently playing a no kills run of this game. It's starting to get real tough now that I can't just baton the enemies unconscious. Some interesting things
    I tranq darted Manderley during the escape before I spoke to him, which resulted in Walton acting like I had just killed him. I also managed to neither allow Lebedev to die nor kill Anna Navarre at the 747, by blocking Navarre from Lebedev with his couch. The game did not seem to recognize my efforts. But apparently the game does change by sparing Navarre from death, which was annoying because I had to waste LAMs :(

P10 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Paul tends to bug out and disappear if you stay and watch him fight, which I think usually counts as him having survived, but really, there's no reason to actually try to escape. You have to be captured, and if you make it to the subway that just means you have to kill/avoid Anna Navarre and then get beat up by Gunther. And you only get about 100 EXP for it. So what's the point?

Being awesome.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Spector (I think) acknowledged his failure at not designing the game so you could complete it without killing anyone (at least without glitches that people apparently use). I'm surprised this hasn't been patched out with an unofficial community release. I guess I haven't seen any of those for Deus Ex -- it's funny how certain games will cause teams to produce them and others won't.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I went to reinstall, but it was already installed.

Pretty sure that every fresh Windows install should come with Deus Ex as standard.

Not an option, it has to be installed. Like have it installed to system32.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Make that part of the standard Windows games pack.

Solitaire, Hearts, Minesweeper, and Deus Ex.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    august wrote: »

Being awesome.
    Well, that is true. But unfortunately a no kills run of the game prohibits most of the awesome opportunities.
    Tim James wrote: »
    Spector (I think) acknowledged his failure at not designing the game so you could complete it without killing anyone (at least without glitches that people apparently use). I'm surprised this hasn't been patched out with an unofficial community release. I guess I haven't seen any of those for Deus Ex -- it's funny how certain games will cause teams to produce them and others won't.
    There's only one person you 'have' to kill, and even that's not true.
    You can glitch Navarre to open the door for you, and then you just have to run to the level change without killing her/her killing you. The game glitches because of it (you will keep the primary objective 'Kill Anna Navarre' as well as the one about getting the key from Alex after her death) but apparently this changes the conversation with Gunther when you face him later. They might have originally intended to allow you to bypass Navarre

P10 on