As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The NEW Cell Phone Thread

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, my Sprint Mogul is finally giving out. I went on to Sprint's website, selected "upgrade," and it gave me a list of phones that didn't seem particularly exhaustive, but that included the EVO and Touch Pro. I'm guessing if I just tried to upgrade via the web, without changing my SERO plan to something else, I'm gonna get a "fuck off" phone call from Sprint support, even though they listed the phones there?

Can anyone who has a SERO plan tell me what phones I can get on that plan, and what I'd have to do to get them while staying on the plan?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm pretty sure WinMo phones are still kosher on SERO, just no Android phones.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure WinMo phones are still kosher on SERO, just no Android phones.
    Even the new WinMo phones? And am I fine to upgrade through the normal website, or am I gonna have to do some weird shit?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also, are the Palm phones available on the SERO plan? Are any of them worthwhile? And is the Touch Pro 2 a pretty decent phone?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you upgrade online it will probably try to change your plan. Of recommend instore or over the phone. Palm Pre and Pixi won't work but touch pro 2 should. It's nice for a windows phone.

JAEF on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    floobie wrote: »
    Does anyone here use their iPhone for emails? I'd like to have my emails automatically push through, or fetch it automatically, but because I get emails at all hours (last night I got one at 2AM, at 4AM, and at 5.30AM) I'd like to set up a schedule like it automatically checks every so often between certain hours. Setting my phone to silent every night (and making sure it's not on anything hard because the vibration noise can wake me up) would be a pain, but having to open the mail app every so often manually to check for emails is also a pain. Any sort of mail-checking-scheduler available? It's jailbroken, if that matters.

Couldn't you just turn your phone off at night?

Well I could, but I don't really want to. It's a bit of a hassle, I'd forget half the time, and unlike emails if I get a call when I'm sleeping it's probably something I want to answer.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well I could, but I don't really want to. It's a bit of a hassle, I'd forget half the time, and unlike emails if I get a call when I'm sleeping it's probably something I want to answer.
    i use an app called sound manager on my n1. basically can set up schedules for the sounds. i have my phone set up to have no notifications from 1030pm to 8 am. it will still ring throigh in case of emergency

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has there been any movement on a release date for Windows Phone 7?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nothing has been narrowed down beyond sometime in late Q3/Q4 2010. They sometimes use "holiday season" as a timeframe.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All the microUSB chargers are on pretty much the same spec, right? i.e. I won't fry an Evo by using a Pre charger?

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    All the microUSB chargers are on pretty much the same spec, right? i.e. I won't fry an Evo by using a Pre charger?
    Yeah you're fine. At worst it'll be like *BURT DURT NOT RIGHT CHARGER* and charge crazy slow, otherwise you're fine. Blackberries/Motorolas are really bad about that.

JAEF on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    its very exciting the battery life on my nexus has increased dramatically. i can now go 2 days on a single charge with frequent use and that still only brought me down to about half a bar

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Than, I believe the selection of SERO capable phone is getting quite slim as Sprint is trying to phase that out (fuckers).

I'm currently using an HTC Touch Pro 2 and enjoy it, especially with the MightyROM OS build.

I'd suggest visiting the Sprint Users subforum on SERO for further information.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I need some help:

My girlfriend just lost her Droid in a cab tonight. I texted it my phone number and said that if the phone if found, the person could call me and I'd give them a cash reward. She's worried that her gmail is automatically logged in on her phone, and that someone could get in her email and get some personal information. Is there any way to disconnect that from a computer? Also, what would be the best method to get the phone back?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    So I need some help:

My girlfriend just lost her Droid in a cab tonight. I texted it my phone number and said that if the phone if found, the person could call me and I'd give them a cash reward. She's worried that her gmail is automatically logged in on her phone, and that someone could get in her email and get some personal information. Is there any way to disconnect that from a computer? Also, what would be the best method to get the phone back?

My iPhone is connected to my outlook thingy, and I know that I can do a remote wipe from my outlook acount if I need to. Not sure about gmail and Droids, but it should be doable if she looks around her gmail account options.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I need some help:

If you change your password from your home computer, it should ask you to relog on your phone. But that's from my Tilt2. Whenever I change passwords for emails, it automatically asks me to relog onto gmail from my phone.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How's the Sanyo Incognito? I played around with a Touch Pro 2, and wasn't a huge fan, and I don't really want to pay $200 for a phone I'm not in love with. The Incognito is supposed to have a really good keyboard; how's the web-browsing?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Anyone have an LG Rumor Touch? The CNet review video looked really good.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So the Samsung Galaxy S to my understanding, is currently the best phone, technically and feature wise.

I've been eyeing the EVO 4g for quite a while, and while it is superior on the .3 inches and general look/theme, it turns out the phone is US only due to CDMA, and inferior in tech to the Samsung. The fucking Hummingbird alone is very promising especially with Froyo incoming sometime in the vague future.

Any other candidates for this top spot? Really leaning to the Samsung, even though they generally stop supporting their phones the moment they're released.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I need some help:

Just an FYI, if you haven't already you will definitely want to call and cancel service to that phone RIGHT AWAY.

One time I bought a blackberry pearl off craigslist and the guy selling it left his sim card in it.. long story short I threw the sim card off the Lido deck of a cruise ship into the briny depths of the pacific ocean... and someone managed to rack up $1400 in international long distance calls on that line post- throw

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    So the Samsung Galaxy S to my understanding, is currently the best phone, technically and feature wise.

I've been eyeing the EVO 4g for quite a while, and while it is superior on the .3 inches and general look/theme, it turns out the phone is US only due to CDMA, and inferior in tech to the Samsung. The fucking Hummingbird alone is very promising especially with Froyo incoming sometime in the vague future.

Any other candidates for this top spot? Really leaning to the Samsung, even though they generally stop supporting their phones the moment they're released.

With android, I'd say it's worthwile to buy a powerful phone that is promising in terms of support, rather than the most powerful thing on the market this second.

Something new will be announced the week after you get your phone, and you WILL feel remorseful. If your phone has decent support, though, then you won't feel as bad long term. If you buy a samsung, history suggests that you will be left in the lurch.

The Samsung Moment, for instance, was arguably technically superior to the Moto Droid, and yet no one talks about it because Samsung ignored many of the bugs it had, and it sat around with 1.5 for about six months, even though it was realeased with 1.6 already on the market, and 2.0 dropped a month after its release. Yeah, some part of that blame lies on sprint, but the point is, a phone with better specs isn't always a better phone.

Evander on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    With all the more powerful phones that have launched six months after I got my Droid, I'm still happy that I got it because it's got a pretty wide array of support from all sides. Verizon seems to be supporting it since it was their flagship Android phone, Motorola still has some care for it which is bizarre for them, and the mod community still has a pretty strong following for the Droid.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Evander wrote: »

The Samsung Moment, for instance, was arguably technically superior to the Moto Droid, and yet no one talks about it because Samsung ignored many of the bugs it had, and it sat around with 1.5 for about six months, even though it was realeased with 1.6 already on the market, and 2.0 dropped a month after its release. Yeah, some part of that blame lies on sprint, but the point is, a phone with better specs isn't always a better phone.

If that's the case, then I imagine someone with a Samsung Moment hopping on over to xda developers would find that s/he'd quickly alleviate that issue, wouldn't they?

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alright, my Blackberry Tour had an unfortunate water accident. Thankfully I have an upgrade available on our family plan, so I can snag a new phone. I'm kind of leaning towards a droid, but I know there's some new stuff coming out. I absolutely hate touchscreens without a qwerty keyboard. Is there some kind of Verizon Droid on the horizon I should wait a month or two for? A friend is loaning me a spare, so I can probably make it till August or so if there's something awesome worth holding out for.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So at E3 I was working with a few friends that have I believe Sprint phones, and they were saying such things about them, that made me want to switch over. They said that if you just buy the phone you can get a month to month contract with unlimited talk, text, data, and tethering with a smart phone for like 55 bucks a month. Is all this true? Should I cancel my Verizon contract with a dumb phone and only half of those features that's a similar price? Isn't there some way of getting out of contracts in the sate of California now without being charged the ETF?

I don't research all this shit so help me out here. Is there some way to get a decent phone with unlimited talk, text, data, and tethering for like 60ish bucks a month with a decent company?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alright, my Blackberry Tour had an unfortunate water accident. Thankfully I have an upgrade available on our family plan, so I can snag a new phone. I'm kind of leaning towards a droid, but I know there's some new stuff coming out. I absolutely hate touchscreens without a qwerty keyboard. Is there some kind of Verizon Droid on the horizon I should wait a month or two for? A friend is loaning me a spare, so I can probably make it till August or so if there's something awesome worth holding out for.

Wait a moment, imo.

www.engadget.com

Just follow what they're saying. There is DEFINITELY a new qwerty droid coming out, I just don't know when exactly. They've already announced it. But if you want to save cash, I can't say putting the money for an old droid is a bad thing at all. Especially for how cheap you can get them now! Verizon is getting all droids and it's awesome.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/17/droid-2-breaks-cover-once-again/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/17/the-droid-x-gets-real-on-verizon/

The X is ridiculous, imo. It looks WAY too big and has no qwerty.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So at E3 I was working with a few friends that have I believe Sprint phones, and they were saying such things about them, that made me want to switch over. They said that if you just buy the phone you can get a month to month contract with unlimited talk, text, data, and tethering with a smart phone for like 55 bucks a month. Is all this true? Should I cancel my Verizon contract with a dumb phone and only half of those features that's a similar price? Isn't there some way of getting out of contracts in the sate of California now without being charged the ETF?

I don't research all this shit so help me out here. Is there some way to get a decent phone with unlimited talk, text, data, and tethering for like 60ish bucks a month with a decent company?

How many months do you have left with Verizon? Honestly, you're not in a bad network at all. You have good phones and a good network. You're not in shit-T&T with terrible networks and phones. If you have a few months, then I would say going to Sprint would be worth it for the money you save. But being in Verizon doesn't seem like a bad gig.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

How many months do you have left with Verizon? Honestly, you're not in a bad network at all. You have good phones and a good network. You're not in shit-T&T with terrible networks and phones. If you have a few months, then I would say going to Sprint would be worth it for the money you save. But being in Verizon doesn't seem like a bad gig.

I'm about 6 months into a 2 year contract, that's why I'm asking about the new laws regarding ETFs. Verizon is fine, but it seems like for the same price I could get unlimited calling, unlimited text, and actual data on a smart phone that I can tether. Data and tethering is huge for me, I don't get it now, and man having the option that would actually allow me to use my laptop when I'm on trips, FUCK YES I WANT. I was also asking if they were correct on that description of everything you can get from Sprint for like 55 bucks a month.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The price is a bit higher than that, and tethering might cost extra depending on which phone you have. Unless you get an Evo 4G, though, it will be a good $30-40/mo cheaper than an equivalent plan on Verizon or AT&T would be.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The price is a bit higher than that, and tethering might cost extra depending on which phone you have. Unless you get an Evo 4G, though, it will be a good $30-40/mo cheaper than an equivalent plan on Verizon or AT&T would be.

So then going on that, if I'm able to get out of my Verizon plan Sprint would be a good idea to get all those features. One of the guys I was talking to said he doesn't have to pay for tethering. He just bought the phone outright for like 400 bucks, and now has a month to month with unlimited calling, text, data, and tethering for like 55-60 bucks. That right there is worth it for me just to have a decent smart phone that I can make calls with, not worry about going over my minutes/texts, and be able to use my laptop online when traveling.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

If that's the case, then I imagine someone with a Samsung Moment hopping on over to xda developers would find that s/he'd quickly alleviate that issue, wouldn't they?

actually, something about the moment's architecture made it especially difficult to root (although it eventually happened)

but if a user has to rely on community support, because the manufacturer refuses to support it, that IS an issue with a device. Consumers shouldn't have to be expected to root their phones.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Verizon is getting all droids

That's because "Droid" is just a brand name that Verizon (and only Verizon) puts on every android phone they carry (with the mysterious exception of the Devour)

Evander on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Pull the battery and let it sit in a bag of rice for 2-3 days. Then charge it up and see if it turns on. It may be ok. Worst case, you can sell it on eBay and make back some of the cost of buying the new phone.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    God, the battery life on my Evo is schitzophrenic. I can not for the life of me figure this out.

At home, over the weekend, I am fine. I can EASILY make it a day and a half, with moderate usage (lots of web surfing and texting, and some phone calls).

At work, its dead by noon (To be fair, I go INTO work at 3AM, so that's 9 hours). And I feel like I use it LESS.

The ONLY thing I can think of, is I disable WiFi (since I dont have WiFi at work, and I do at home), which automatically kicks in 3G. And I get shitty service at my desk, so Im wondering if it trying to do stuff from my desk is just draining it super fast, because it cant get a signal and just keeps trying.

I seriously love this phone and want to keep it forever and ever - but the battery thing is just frusterating. I'd rather it either be good or bad - not just randomly weird.

I also noticed after 2 weeks of Evo ownership, this thing tells battery life really strangely. My iPhone used to sit at 100-75% for a day, and then PLUMMET and die. The Evo drops to 50% within hours, and will hang at 50% all day, before slowly dying.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Im wondering if it trying to do stuff from my desk is just draining it super fast, because it cant get a signal and just keeps trying.

This is likely what it is. I can last for three days on my phone (not a smartphone) at my apartment downtown. But if I ever go visit my parents where I get shit service, the phone is always dead overnight, guaranteed. Signal strength is a surprisingly huge deal when it comes to battery life.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Pull the battery and let it sit in a bag of rice for 2-3 days. Then charge it up and see if it turns on. It may be ok. Worst case, you can sell it on eBay and make back some of the cost of buying the new phone.

I did exactly that. It was obviously shorted and was actually making some weird noises and rapidly heating the battery case.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

actually, something about the moment's architecture made it especially difficult to root (although it eventually happened)

but if a user has to rely on community support, because the manufacturer refuses to support it, that IS an issue with a device. Consumers shouldn't have to be expected to root their phones.

You're absolutely right. I just meant that at least there is a way if you still have the phone and can't afford to get a new one. I hate that I have to use this jank tilt2/touch pro 2 because of how old and slow it is stock, but the xda community definitely helped make it more enjoyable until I'm done with ATT.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mmm, reading up on the Droid 2 I think that's exactly what I'll be picking up. It'll be a pretty drastic change from the Blackberry interface I'm used to, but it looks so sexy.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I ended up going with an LG Rumor Touch, which I like quite a bit so far. The web browser is subpar, but I only use it for light web browsing, anyhow; the interface is fairly intuitive, and pretty easy to customize. For a non-smartphone, it seems pretty good. Also, I fucking love the keyboard (QWERTY, including number keys).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    God, the battery life on my Evo is schitzophrenic. I can not for the life of me figure this out.

And I get shitty service at my desk, so Im wondering if it trying to do stuff from my desk is just draining it super fast, because it cant get a signal and just keeps trying.

this is definitely the problem. can you set the EVO to roam only? this would fix the problem... or just bring your charger to work?

Xantus on