As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The NEW Cell Phone Thread

1373839404143»

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i guess i have a hard time wrapping my head around going with AT&T and not getting an iPhone.

i mean more power to you i guess

i just spent years tethered to Sprint and wishing i had an iPhone instead

I'm with ATT and I'd much rather have a Galaxy S in any flavor than an iPhone.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    i guess i have a hard time wrapping my head around going with AT&T and not getting an iPhone.

any particular reason for the sentiment beyond generic apple hate?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Faster, expandable memory, more media flexibility, etc. Granted, I have a 3GS, but I'm getting to the point after having used iPhones for the past three years where I'm just sick of the OS.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    iOS4 pretty much did away with all of my gripes about my iPhone.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does it let you play .flac files?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    um, anyone talk about / care about the sero plan possibly being allowed on any phone for +$10, and onto 4g for another +$10?

so maybe in october I can finally have evo 4g, for $50/mo.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    um, anyone talk about / care about the sero plan possibly being allowed on any phone for +$10, and onto 4g for another +$10?

Last I heard this was for sure happening. People have even gotten emails confirming it from Sprint.
    I got this after mailing the everythingreferral@sprint.com. Seems enough reps now know about it.

Thanks for your recent contact with Everything Referral Programs.
    Effective in October our existing SERO lines will be able to use an Iconic device such as the EPIC with the SERO plans. When this option becomes available the cost of your current $30/500 SERO plan will be raised an additional $10 a month when activating an Iconic device to this line. In addition, if you activated an Iconic device/4G this will be an additional $10 a month for the premium & rich data experience on a 4G device. Therefore, the SERO plan will be an option with the upcoming changes to the SERO program in October.

I'm waiting till October to get my Epic because of this.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So t-mobile just charged me a bill to my bank because I guess somehow automatic payments were setup.

I don't get money til Wednesday so my bank is overdrawn now.

VERY unhappy with t-mobile. Thinking of switching to something else. But I am on contract still paying on my shitty text phone and have two other lines, probably cost me my eternal soul in Early termination fees?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Two things:

1) Double check with T-Mobile that you can shut that off. I see no reason why you can't just have them bill you.

2) Check the details on T-Mobiles ETFs.

For example, when I was with Sprint, I started my contract maybe 3 months *after* they retracted the diminishing ETF for a flat fee. If you just have a flat fee ETF and the end of your contract has a lot of time left, there is no advantage to staying until the end of your contract unless you can't pay the ETF.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I already turned it off, but they can't reverse the charge so I'm out 37 dollars because of the whole fiasco already.

I'm not happy with paying what I do for a shitty plan either.

Where can I go to check details of my contract?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you can access your account online, that should have some details regarding the contract and ETF. I would start there.

If you can't find anything, call T-Mobile's cust serv and tell them your wife just got laid off so you're checking out your financial options and you want to get details in case you have to cancel the phone plan early (or say *you* got laid off or w/e).

I used that story to get the details on Sprint's ETF, which I had assumed was a diminishing ETF until that point.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    when i switched from a faves plan to teh even more plus plan it cost me i think 70 dollars to break my plan and move to the no contract one. how that would apply to someone not switching to another tmobile plan is another thing.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Everything I've read says I will probably be paying 600, 200 each for my three lines (share the plan with my brother and mom) plus whatever the remaining cost of my phone. Uhhng

That's alot.

On the other hand I am looking at Sprint, seems like a better deal for a single line to me, plus I can get an HTC EVO....

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    Everything I've read says I will probably be paying 600, 200 each for my three lines (share the plan with my brother and mom) plus whatever the remaining cost of my phone. Uhhng

That's alot.

On the other hand I am looking at Sprint, seems like a better deal for a single line to me, plus I can get an HTC EVO....

I'm sorry but if you're actually considering paying what will likely be over a thousand dollars so that you can pay even more money and sign another contract with basically an identical entity to the one that's pissed you off to this degree, you're the silliest goose on the forums.

You can buy a good computer or a very nice TV or a sweet guitar or probably a used car for that amount of money. Seriously.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hell you could buy a decent guitar and a loud amplifier and a couple of lessons. Or an okay drum kit plus enough lessons to not suck completely. You could start a band and meet easy women with unnaturally colored hair.

Or you could switch cell phone carriers and get a new phone. Just saying is all.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    True, I will probably go with some kinda cheaper plan honestly, maybe get a pay as you go. No need to throw a fit pheezer. I'm well aware of my shortcomings in intellect.

The fact Is I actually don't even want to be tied to a contract anymore, at least if it means a single missed click on their site costs me overdraft fees at the bank.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I need to transfer a bunch of contacts and such off of a Blackberry Storm with a non-working touchscreen onto a Droid Incredible. I've Googled, and all of the suggestions I've gotten are "download Google sync onto your Blackberry..."

So, any way I can do that onto a Storm with a non-functional touchscreen? Failing that, is there any other way I can get the stuff off the Blackberry and onto the Incredible?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Last I heard this was for sure happening. People have even gotten emails confirming it from Sprint.
    I got this after mailing the everythingreferral@sprint.com. Seems enough reps now know about it.

Effective in October our existing SERO lines will be able to use an Iconic device such as the EPIC with the SERO plans. When this option becomes available the cost of your current $30/500 SERO plan will be raised an additional $10 a month when activating an Iconic device to this line. In addition, if you activated an Iconic device/4G this will be an additional $10 a month for the premium & rich data experience on a 4G device. Therefore, the SERO plan will be an option with the upcoming changes to the SERO program in October.

Are you fucking shitting me?

God fucking dammit. I just got a new phone, desperately wanted an EVO or something similar, but went with a LG Rumor Touch because I could stick with my SERO plan with it. Motherfucker.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos: Can you use the BB Sync software to pull the info off the phone? Then just transfer it to a similar Droid sync software. I don't have experience with Droid, so if there isn't anything similar, you'll have to take both devices to your carrier's local shop and have them use that address book transfer thinger.

If you're on Verizon, I would not be surprised if they try to charge you for moving the address book across phones. They at least used to do that because they're douchers.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

God fucking dammit. I just got a new phone, desperately wanted an EVO or something similar, but went with a LG Rumor Touch because I could stick with my SERO plan with it. Motherfucker.

Are you still within your 30 day no-risk return period? I hope so for your sake. Hell, even if you're just out of it you can call up customer service and tell them your story. They're supposedly be pretty good about cutting slack when this kind of thing happens.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    chasm wrote: »

any particular reason for the sentiment beyond generic apple hate?

I'm a gadget person, as I'm sure most of you are as well, and I feel like the iphone doesn't satisfy my yearning desire for customization. Also, I sell phones, and iphone 'hate' seems to be pretty commonplace amongst all of the salespeople I talk to outside of AT&T corporates. There's just something about the UI that's irks me. Going from a pre to an iphone would be a huge D: if nothing else. I guess generic apple hate could also be in there somewhere, but I'm not a hater. Macs aren't for me, but I have no problems with others choosing to go mac.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    yeah if you're a twiddler or customizer or hacker, the iphone just won't be for you. it's locked down and jailbreaking is a hassle

i'm not these things, and i love the iphone. it does what i want it to do and a lot more to boot and requires just about no handholding or tweaking

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I agree, if you're a micro manager, fiddle with everything, learn how it ticks, android is really for you, if you're more of a "I don't care how it works, so long as it does, and looks good doing it" camp, ios is for you, if you're non-conformist, webos or symbian is for you.

Not to say that each option doesn't have it's spillover into the others, this is more of verbal venn diagram than t-chart.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

Are you still within your 30 day no-risk return period? I hope so for your sake. Hell, even if you're just out of it you can call up customer service and tell them your story. They're supposedly be pretty good about cutting slack when this kind of thing happens.
    I'm not even close. I think I got this thing in, like, June. By the time this rolls around, it will be October. Dammit.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I bought a chinese iphone knock-off (by knock-off I mean lookalike) for $25 to see what it was like. The thing doesn't come with memory (needs a microSD card) so I haven't been able to play with the media features, other than the built in radio. After it showed up, I googled the name of the sender, and the only results were related to a counterfeiting ring --so I might actually have a fake chinese iphone knockoff.

I'm kind of in love with the phone. Don't get me wrong: it's cheap in lots of ways. The processor feels slow, or else (hell, probably and) the OS is sluggish. The OS itself isn't organized in any sensible way. While the shell unashamedly copies the iPhone OS interface, any time you're actually doing something outside the home screen (say, you're running an app) it's a lot closer to an old version of winmo, complete with tiny menu items you have to click and tiny fields to fill out and a tiny on screen keyboard. There's some funny translation errors --like 'headphones plugged out' when you unplug the headphones. Which you have to use if you want to use headphones, since it doesn't have a proper headphone jack. Headphones so bad that only an image would do them justice, and I'm far too lazy to go host one. edit: oh, and the touchscreen is resistive, not capacitive, so you do finger-nail clicks or you use the stylus (yeah, it has a stylus.)

But... $25! It looks almost like an iphone! (little thicker, no headphone jack, only a home button and volume toggle, no vibrate-switch, slightly less tall screen) With my iphone data plan, and opera mini, it's ALMOST a good web browser (it's a bit too slow.) The physical build really doesn't seem cheap at all, which was not what I expected.

$25! I can't get over how cheap stuff is these days.

Now I just have to wait for my chinese android-OS running iphone-lookalike to show up ;).

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm not sure what kind of data it can pull from your SIM card, but I would be wary about something like that. Call me a codger (I'm 32; is that "old" nowadays?), but something about that situation just doesn't sit right.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    !! if you can't trust Chinese counterfeiters, who can you trust? :).

The phone is actually pretty popular (mostly in eastern europe, india, and China,) but doing a firmware and data wipe/update is certainly not a bad idea at all.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    !! if you can't trust Chinese counterfeiters, who can you trust? :).

The phone is actually pretty popular (mostly in eastern europe, india, and China,) but doing a firmware and data wipe/update is certainly not a bad idea at all.

I remember seeing a iphone nano for $50 and almost buying it. Then going to work and acting like it was real. But I never got around to doing it.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I saw some pretty strange stuff --giant iphone-phones, mini-iphone phones, android-OS ipad clones, a phone that looks like a pack of cigarettes... the Chinese are a confused and confusing people.

I can't wait for the iphone-styled android phone I ordered. Though actually I got the iphone-alike to run Opera pretty well, so at least I've got a proper web-browsing cell phone again.

Ego on
    Erik