As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Fight Debate: Bracket 14

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hmm, guess I was wrong.

So apparently this is one of those "depending o the writer" things.

But whatever, I will give you your 25 pounds of metal. He's had the stuff for ages, he's used to it, it shouldn't make a lot of difference.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm still waiting for someone to explain why Grodd doesn't just stop the harpoon with his mind and kill Bullseye while he reloads.

Furu on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Because harpoons move too quickly for Grodd to react to them properly?

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Properly? It's not like the guy needs prep time or to chant a spell or something. He sees the harpoon he stops the harpoon.

Furu on
  • Options
    SnoogySnoogy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Properly? It's not like the guy needs prep time or to chant a spell or something. He sees the harpoon he stops the harpoon.

Unless the harpoon was just to distract him so Bullseye can throw a volley of sharks teeth (teeth which has just ripped out of the sharks that Grodd sent to kill him)

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I think that's a pretty good way to lose a hand.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    he's crazy enough to try it. Plus, adimantium!

Snoogy on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bullseye kills the shark with the harpoon gun and then makes it rain shark teeth without having to lose an arm.

Marathon on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Bullseye kills the shark with the harpoon gun and then makes it rain shark teeth without having to lose an arm.
    :^:

I'd buy that. I think despite his supposed proficiency with firearms he'd rather throw stuff to win.

edit: Where are these sharks coming from through?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    My version has more crazy in it. I like crazy better. He could also just start hucking the spare harpoons instead of trying to reload the gun. The point is Bullseye speciallizes in strange projectiles. He will find something to use

Snoogy on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Marathon wrote:

I'd buy that. I think despite his supposed proficiency with firearms he'd rather throw stuff to win.

I think Grodd's using them? They're more like hypothetical sharks.

Langly on
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Marathon wrote:

They're in the ocean so of course there are tons of sharks around! Because you know sharks are plentiful and oceans are small so there are a lot of sharks always right near by.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Marathon wrote:

They're in the ocean so of course there are tons of sharks around! Because you know sharks are plentiful and oceans are small so there are a lot of sharks always right near by.

The hypothetical sharks are the basis for just about every pro-aquaman argument there is. I just assumed they had to be there. still, replace "shark" with "any other preditory sea animal" and the point sill stands. If he has to, Bullseye will use the animal's bones.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    Malkor wrote:
    Marathon wrote:

The hypothetical sharks are the basis for just about every pro-aquaman argument there is. I just assumed they had to be there. still, replace "shark" with "any other preditory sea animal" and the point sill stands. If he has to, Bullseye will use the animal's bones.

or its flipper

Langly on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Okay.

How do you throw things underwater?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    With perfect aim!

i'm sorry

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Okay.

How do you throw things underwater?

I don't think you could throw teeth, or the small shit, but maybe a harpoon? I think you could throw a harpoon pretty hard, if you were in olympic shape.

Langly on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    We're guessing that, since Bullseye instinctively knows how best to throw any item under any circumstance, he'll automatically know how to throw something with deadly speed and accuracy while underwater simply by being underwater himself.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Plus remember, he's fighting a super-genius gorrilla in undersea kingdom of Atlantis.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    All I know is Grodd is going to see a harpoon coming at him in the water. Hell, he could probably blast the harpoon gun out of Bullseye's hand before he can get a shot off. They're underwater. They're both slow and near immobile. I'm pretty sure mind blasts don't give a fuck about water resistence and all.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    this is also the man who spit his tooth through a human skull. It isn't that wildly out side his skill set

edit:
    wiki wrote:
    Bullseye can accomplish many feats with thrown projectiles that are impossible outside of fiction. Some of his accomplishments include: lacerate a person's throat with a thrown playing card, spit his own tooth through a human skull, toss a paper airplane to a distant rooftop, and kill a person with a toothpick thrown through a window from a hundred yards away.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mental barriers can be broken by sufficient force, and Bullseye hurls items with a great deal of force.

And if he throws a seashell or something, Grodd won't even bother to block. If Bullseye killed Blob by making him choke, Grodd doesn't even know the extent of Bullseye's abilities and won't think such an item could cause him harm.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You know, all this Grodd supporting I've been doing may be for nothing, seeing how logically the next match up in this bracket would be Bullseye vs Taskmaster.

And that's just way too awesome to compete against.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I actually think Grodd vs Taskmaster would be a better fight. I mean, Taskmaster can copy Bullseye now. It's essentially Bullseye vs Bullseye+

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    It's essentially Bullseye vs Bullseye+

but with that fight we could get bullets bouncing off of each other, which is pretty cool.[/i]

Langly on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    has grodd ever commanded sea creatures before?

just because he's telepathic doesn't mean he's aquaman. there's plenty of telepaths that can't talk to other species. i assume grodd can talk to humans and other smart apes, but someone prove to me that he could convince a shark to do anything other than take a chunk out of his hairy ass

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    has grodd ever commanded sea creatures before?

just because he's telepathic doesn't mean he's aquaman. there's plenty of telepaths that can't talk to other species. i assume grodd can talk to humans and other smart apes, but someone prove to me that he could convince a shark to do anything other than take a chunk out of his hairy ass

Doesn't Grodd talk to other species by just by virtue of being a gorrila that mind-talks to people? I only introduced the shark idea as a means of helping Grodd out, but he can't do it I don't think thats his only mind control target down there. He would propbably grab some of the atlantians that are bound to be about. But Bullseye would just take their weapons from them and start blasting away.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Humans and gorillas are very similar, biologically. Sharks are something else altogether.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The first match looks to me like a win for Bullseye. Just more raw fighting skill then the gorilla, even under water.

Let me start my opinion on the second match by say how much I love Taskmaster; he's the most poorly utilized and underrated villain in the Marvel Universe today. They could very easily make Task a Deathstroke level badass with some proper writing.

( Brief aside - To the hack writer of Moonknight - go fuck yourself; first for making Task look like an uncharacteristic pussy, second for sticking him back in that cheesey 90's costume.).

Task will keep this battle at range and wear Grundy down. Katana decapitation for the coup de grace.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Judas wrote:
    The first match looks to me like a win for Bullseye. Just more raw fighting skill then the gorilla, even under water.

Let me start my opinion on the second match by say how much I love Taskmaster; he's the most poorly utilized and underrated villain in the Marvel Universe today. They could very easily make Task a Deathstroke level badass with some proper writing.

( Brief aside - To the hack writer of Moonknight - go fuck yourself; first for making Task look like an uncharacteristic pussy, second for sticking him back in that cheesey 90's costume.).

Task will keep this battle at range and wear Grundy down. Katana decapitation for the coup de grace.

I don't think its fighting skill as much as improvizational skill that lets Bullseye carry the fight. You don't know what to expect from him, and thats the edge he has over Grodd, who is certainly a powerful fighter.

But yeah, in the Task Grundy fight, Task will have the skills of Captain America, DareDevil, Iron Fist, Bullseye, and if he has tourniment video Lady Shiva

Strong, dumb and ugly are no way to win a fight against that kind of skill.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The biggest argument for Taskie is that Green Arrow beat Grundy, and Arrow is even less 'powered' than Task is.

And I gotta say. Bullseye vs. Taskmaster? Now there's a fight worth the admission price.

Scooter on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ok I see Grodd has lost some ground in my abscence.

He's not allowed to mind control Bullseye but this crap about not knowing it's coming is bullshit. Grodd can still read his mind. He knows the harpoon is coming, maybe he can't dodge it or mind control some atlantean dude into taking the shot for him, but he's quick enough to take the brunt of it in say the arm or something. Even forgetting sharks, I still say Grodd would mind controll a living shield of atlanteans, and he could survive whatever else got through. He's not just a gorilla people. He's a super gorilla with fucking mind powers..

I just dont see how Bullseye wins.

As for Grundy vs Taskmaster the only thing stopping me from giving Taskmaster the clear victory.. how is he going to KO Grundy? He's not super strong or anything, is he capable of dealing enough punishment to him? I thought Grundy was pretty near invulnerable. I mean dosen't he withstand beatings from Superman and shit?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Grundy isn't really invulnerable, he can just take a lot more damage than a normal person. Pretty much each hit hurts as much as it normally would, but he needs to be injured a lot more than a normal human to go down. However, Taskmaster with his dual katanas and double speed should be able to reduce Grundy to nothing rather quickly.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Balefuego wrote:

He's not allowed to mind control Bullseye but this crap about not knowing it's coming is bullshit. Grodd can still read his mind. He knows the harpoon is coming, maybe he can't dodge it or mind control some atlantean dude into taking the shot for him, but he's quick enough to take the brunt of it in say the arm or something. Even forgetting sharks, I still say Grodd would mind controll a living shield of atlanteans, and he could survive whatever else got through. He's not just a gorilla people. He's a super gorilla with fucking mind powers..

I don't know if it makes a difference where mind powers are concerned, but I know that most of my everyday movements don't take place on the level of conscious thought, and when I play a sport, I don't really think about my actions at all. So I guess what I'm saying is, Grodd may not be able to pick up the particulars of the attack? Especially if we move from harpoon gun to a barrage of clam shells and sea urchins, or something.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    especially bullseye, given how quickly he can react and the level of sudden violence to which he escalates

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Balefuego wrote:

I don't know if it makes a difference where mind powers are concerned, but I know that most of my everyday movements don't take place on the level of conscious thought, and when I play a sport, I don't really think about my actions at all. So I guess what I'm saying is, Grodd may not be able to pick up the particulars of the attack? Especially if we move from harpoon gun to a barrage of clam shells and sea urchins, or something.

But Grodd's mind powers arent limited to just mind control, he has telekinetic abilities as well. I can accept the argument that Bullseye dosent really have to conciously think about his attacks as he makes them, but Grodd can still read Bullseye enough to know that projectiles are his thing. So he'd be ready to throw up a shield or even fling those fuckers right back at Bullseye.

Again, Grodd fights The Flash all the time has has super-intelligence to boot, I would say his mental reflexes are just as sharp as Bullseye's physical ones.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    just because someone fights the flash, it doesn't make them fast

the flash is fast

grodd is a talking monkey that's going to get shot in the eye by one of the top three most dangerous people in the marvel universe

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    How does Grodd usually use his powers?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    just because someone fights the flash, it doesn't make them fast

the flash is fast

grodd is a talking monkey that's going to get shot in the eye by one of the top three most dangerous people in the marvel universe

I'm not saying Grodd is fast, I'm saying fast dosen't bother him. I'm also saying his mind is fast. He can mentally react quick enough to stop Bullseye's projectiles. His brain is used to having to keep up with Wally, this isn't gonna be that tough for him.

And he's not just a talking monkey, physically he's far far far more than just a normal gorilla.

And hey, mind powers.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    If fast didn't bother him, then Flash would never beat him. He's not used to fast, he's used to fighting the Flash and knows what to expect.

robosagogo on