As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wizardry Renaissance: Labyrinth of Lost Souls PSN! And also the Apple store!(!?)

• Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still marvel at XSEED's ability to stay in business. They've been on a crazy ultra niche warpath lately.

Sure they did some smart things with YS such as sub licensing a already done fan translation, but man.

XSEED took some risks that have really paid off so far. If Trails does as well as The Grapevine suggests the preorders say it might, that could really help them stay in business. Plus the AQ thing like Unco mentioned.

Anyway, interested to see this happen! Wonder if this'll kick off a general wave of Wizardry-esque game interest? After all, Etrian Odyssey's done quite well so far...

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    Wait a minute, are you trying to tell me that it's unlikely for Wizardry to have tsundere characters?! But.... but then what kind of character will my elf woman be? Dorodere? Yandere? No, no I won't allow it! If my elf can't be tsundere then this game is garbage! Garbage I say! XSeed or Atlus must resume translating Class of Heroes instead of giving us.... THIS. God, if I didn't have my anime wife waiting for me at home with dinner, burnt of course because she's such a klutz in the kitchen, I would go off on quite the tangent here. You just better count yourself lucky XSeed. You have been spared my full wrath.

Thanks for making me nearly choke on my food when I read this.
    I still marvel at XSEED's ability to stay in business. They've been on a crazy ultra niche warpath lately.

Sure they did some smart things with YS such as sub licensing a already done fan translation, but man.

I think a lot of it has to do with two things. A) Reasonable budgets and sales expectations. b) Very good fan rapport / open dialog between them and their fanbase. This direct communication and openness with their most apparent fanbase can lower piracy and convince people to support game A to better facilitate game B in the same genere and the company as a whole.

Aksys is the same way most of the time.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Now begins the long ass wait for my game to get here. Probably won't be for like 3 weeks.

I'll be honest, I think I've only played one XSEED game so far. Have they really even released that much stateside?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quite a few. Three Ys games, every Wild Arms after 3(4, 5, XF, Alter Code F), a few Wii games(Ivy The Kiwi, Little King's Story, Sky Crawlers, Fragile), etc.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have Wild Arms XF. Did they do Muramasa as well?

Currently trying to track down more info on CoH3 and I see that the PS3 version is evidently available for digital download...
    Although I don't have a JP credit card anyways.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish they had. It was done by Ignition.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't forget Lunar: Silver Star Harmony and Shadow Hears: FtNW. And they're brining over Legend of Heroes now.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've heard XSeed have great PR.

Ken was kind enough to confirm this.
    Hello CJ,

To answer your questions: - No plans to work on the DS version
    - Really not much voice in there, some minor battle callouts (mainly painful cries), so we left everything in the original Japanese
    - No specific release date yet, but thinking it may be around a May timeframe

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I've heard XSeed have great PR.

Ken was kind enough to confirm this.
    Hello CJ,

To answer your questions: - No plans to work on the DS version
    - Really not much voice in there, some minor battle callouts (mainly painful cries), so we left everything in the original Japanese
    - No specific release date yet, but thinking it may be around a May timeframe

They really do have great PR yes and they even send out non-boring PR e-mails to the gaming media.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I got Class of Heroes 3.

Still having trouble trying to figure everything out, but it's so much fun. Took me close to 40 minutes to decide on a party. So many choices.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    So I got Class of Heroes 3.

Still having trouble trying to figure everything out, but it's so much fun. Took me close to 40 minutes to decide on a party. So many choices.

This, once google translated, is very helpful for the quests http://pokowiki.com/totomono3pspps3/index.php?%A5%AF%A5%A8%A5%B9%A5%C8#ia8d499e

For the spells and items, if it says "HP" or "MP", it heals, other wise it's likely a damage spell of some sort. They also have a list of spells you can compare against to be sure.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, been using that. The only thing I'm having a hard time with right now is the fact that the enemies in the 2nd dungeon do way too much damage.

I take it I'm supposed to be crafting some better equipment?

Either that, upgrading the stuff I've got?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Release date yet?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I just hope this does well enough that people consider localizing the upcoming 3DS/PSP dungeon crawlers.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    http://xseedgames.com/forums/showthread.php?398-Any-news-on-a-release-date/page2

Rumored to be coming very soon, review copies are already out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hopefully PSN will be up by then so we can play it.

Guess this means I should fire up the PS2 version I bought and put some time in with it. Any suggestions? I haven't seen this thing since it was brand new.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Alignment matters a lot. Some people won't join you if you're Evil or Good, respectively.

Good/Neutral covers most of the cast, anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    http://www.wizardryps3.com/

Website is live. Lots of great information there, even for a Wizardry vet.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Haven't played any console Wizardry since the second one. I did finish 7 and 8 though. How do the Japanese Wizardrys compare to the Western ones?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, I'm in the opposite boat, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :P
    My first Wizardry was Tale of the Forsaken Land on PS2, one of the Japanese games.

I think they're enjoyable. Atmospheric and simple, but fun.
    If it wasn't for the Wizardry boom in Japan, the likes of Etrian Odyssey and maybe even Dragon Quest wouldn't exist.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Japanese ones are easier and a bit more streamlined.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No announcement on date and price yet, huh?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    KouhakuKouhaku Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Ye gods, it's good to finally see the venerable Wizardry franchise coming back to life. I still remember devoting months upon months on 6 & 7 (the best of the series IMO), then the letdown that was 8... and then poof, Sir-Tech went out of business.

Kouhaku on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Japanese ones are easier and a bit more streamlined.

. . . So does this mean no more building fairy ninja that attack 5 times in a round with a 40% chance to outright kill the target on any given hit?

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looks sweet

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So let me get this straight: You make your own characters and are pretty much just a part of the whole story deal?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It looks kind of like an online King's Field. But if I wanted an online King's Field I'd play Demon's Souls. Which I have. And if it's not that then it'll probably be just another MMO. Which I don't really want. So basically I don't know why they're making this, because there's no way the classic Wizardry gameplay will work online.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It kind of looks like they're going for a Demon's Souls thing.

I'd give it a shot.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't know how to feel about that. o.O

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Will it come to the u.s. though?

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's probably PC only and there's no way I'll be able to play it. And if it plays like a typical MMO then I wouldn't want to anyway. Here's hoping when gameplay shows up it isn't you sitting there and exchanging slashes.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well of course it is.

It can't be much more boring than ganging up on a giant Tarraesque that takes an hour to kill.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd rather see some gameplay.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Agreed. It looks pretty enough but that video tells us nothing about how it actually plays.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    First person Wizardry MMORPG?

All my money! Take it!

My first RPG was Wizardry 2 on the NES. It took me years and years to beat because I refused to use graph paper until I got a bit older and less prideful.

Is the Wizardry PS3 game going to be PSN only? Heard someplace that it's basically done but the PSN being a smoldering crater right now is throwing a wrench into things...

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yep. It should be available when the store is back up, or thereabouts.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png