As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4e DnD, Eberron] The Vathirond King - OOC Thread

13»

• Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We seem to cover all the skills except for Nature and Intimidate.

Awesome, the first skill challenge is going to be about moving a herd of wild sheep off the lightning rail tracks by yelling at them.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mythweaver action pack : Idrian

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorry for going all paranoid on everybody; Sariel just doesn't like the situation she's in very much.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It makes sense.

I was only noting Cruxil's reaction. He's more apt to rush into things, or overthink things when there's time.

SnowSquall on
    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Don't worry, Idrian is paranoia professional. :P.
    It's more probable that the guy we just spoke with was the one being watched. So unless he was sneaky and careful, we can't do crap about that now. Splitting up would be a smart move, but the 20 minutes time-table makes it pointless. We HAVE to board the train.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorry if I didn't make this clear, but the train's only a few minutes away by foot so you do have enough time to split up.

susan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I get that, but splitting up to alleviate suspicions of collusion with the guy, when we all board the same train... pointless.
    To avoid notice from anyone watching the train... now that may be worth it.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't mind fast forwarding; but I also wouldn't mind staying here. It's the weekend, so I'm pretty sure posting is going to be going a bit slow.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Would those boxes be any sort of cover? Also, I can make a stealth check as part of my move check, correct?

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorry, forgot to say this IC, but yes the benches do provide cover (+2), they count as difficult terrain to move directly through, and you can stealth behind them.

susan on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can't both move and attack in a surprise round, right?

Anyway here's my character sheet. http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1077

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nope, one action.

susan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ATTACK !
    NOW!

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Mike, your changeling trick is a melee move so you can't use it at range.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Should I just go ahead and post my actions now, or wait for the Passengers to go?

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The Passengers are pretty much just gonna run and hide; assume they do that and post away.

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is there a reason you won't post the HP/defenses ?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ...Habit, I suppose; I'm used to having my notes just to myself and my players not knowing the info about the people they're fighting. Although I can see the benefit of posting that info for PbP... Hmmm...

What are your thoughts, players? Would knowing the Enemy's HP and Defenses (and therefore letting you know how well your attacks are doing instantly) be a benefit, or would it be looking too much 'behind the veil'? Regardless, there'd be a lot of info I would keep secret because that's just how I roll, but I see no problem posting this (and Sariel, if we do do this and you wanted to change your goggles for something else, that'd be fine).

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Letting us know their defenses means less work for everyone and speeds things up a bit so I'm all for that. That way you don't have to go through and see what hits who and which damage applies and stuff, and we don't have to do damage rolls and all kinds of "Well, if this hits then..." stuff.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This :
    Mmmh. Not providing Monster HP. While it seems fine from a metagaming point, its going to be harder to post "in battle". Either we have to wait for you every time we hit a monster (could be a minion...) , or we could be hitting corpses. Plus we won't be able to depict our glorious kills, since we won't know if monsters are dead or not.

This :
    "Thunk's reverse strike smashes the monster on the hip, breaking bones."
    "Monster dies."
    "Fragments from the shattered hip make their way into the monster's heart, and it drops dead with a keening sound

Is a lot less glorious than this :
    "Thunk's morning star embeds itself in the monster's skull, splashing brain matter all over the place. The monster crumples to the ground, its limb's trashing. "

And it's 2 more posts.

And that doesn't get into things like slides, pushes, effects.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    /lurk off

Posting monster HP and defenses definately helps move a combat along in a PbP. That said, you don't have to reveal any other information on your monsters, allowing you to spring all sorts of nasty surprises on your players.

Plus, letting the players know how tough a monster is can have strong intimidation value. "He's got how many hit points?"

/lurk on

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fair enough, and point taken; I won't be able to update the IC thread for a couple hours but when I do I'll include the data needed. Probably won't matter for the moment, but I think all these enemies and stats are straight from the MM1.

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The goggles are there more for character than for any sort of gaming use. However, posting the defense/health of the enemies will def. speed things up in combat.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not sure if it got missed but the soldier that was in K3 should take an additional 5 damage for not attacking me last turn. And the effect is gone this turn.

SnowSquall on
    Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    *hi fives deadonthestreet* Snap, Crackle, and Pop *indeed*.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I can also reduce the slide by one. Would that prevent Idrian from being hit by the attack? If so I'll do that, if not then I won't because I like this position better.

Edit: unless I shouldn't have slid and should still be at G11.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I got the 5 damage on the Soldier (39 instead of 44), and sorry I forgot about the Dwarven thing. It wouldn't make a difference with Idrian, though, the secondary target just had to be within 3 squares of you.

susan on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll add my thanks for posting the monster defenses; it does take away a little of the mystery, but you'll find it greatly speeds combat. Especially when you get into forced movement affecting the next player's turn.

You might also want to post current HP out of max HP, so we know when mobs are bloodied =)

Rius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I do believe Aegis of Assault and Combat Challenging Marking can stack on Soldier I7. Anyone know this not to be the case? Not that Rakash is likely to shift back to hit I7 anyway, but for future reference.

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Anyone need healing ?

Unless specified in the power, a new mark always supersedes an older mark. So whoever marked the soldier last has it marked and the other one does not.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Did the three enemies that started their turns next to me each take 1d8 damage from my Rain of Steel stance? I'm going to post my turn now, too. Sorry for my prolonged absence; driving to PAX and back from Chicago took forever, plus I was laid low yesterday by the CON-SARS.

I am just barely bloodied, at 25/52, so a heal would be appreciated =)

Edit: Missed, then Crit the captain. He's hurt enough that the start of his turn might kill him, hehe.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If anyone has a pull, try to yank him onto the rails. Dispatching half of the enemies by frying them seems like quite the way to end a first battle =D

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Two quick things:

-I'm leaving for a business trip tomorrow until the 18th; between Airports, Coffeeshops and hotels, I'm not expecting to be without internet for much time, but delays are possible, so heads-up.

-About that last Warforged. Between everyone's ranged attacks, stances, auto damage and OA defenses... Yeah, he's pretty toast, and I seriously doubt he'll be able to land more than a single lucky hit before he gets taken down if that. If you want the satisfaction to see who gets to deliver the killing blow, by all means we can continue the fight, but if you want to move the plot forward, I'm prepared for that as well if you just want to post his inglorious demise details yourselves. Good first battle everyone; I learned a lot about how you guys like to fight, and I do believe the next one will be considerably more threatening and entertaining for everybody.

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't mind moving on, hehe.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah that's fine, though I think he'd probably get away because the ranged people are pretty far back. I'd be fine with you either saying he's dead, or saying he got away.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have a great bow. He's NOT getting away.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ^
    ^
    ^
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Gimmie a minute...

susan on